Kenrith, the Returned King Anti-Combo Group Hug

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

The goal is to use Kenrith's abilities to compensate your opponents from not being able to combo off even though what they get in return probably isn't as exciting as what their decks were originally trying to accomplish. I was really aiming to try to offset a lot of feel bad moments compared to how other Kingmaker style EDH decks usually tend to create those sort of environments or at least they can anyway.

I originally hesitated to try to build another EDH / Commander deck given how the pandemic has made it more difficult for me to play at the LGSs in my vicinity. A part of me wondered what I'd be like If Wizards of the Coast had actually made Jesus Christ a playable Commander in the format. So I figured Kenrith, the Returned King was the closest they got though it wasn't easy. Better than being stuck in Mono White right?

Here's the decklist thus far:

Decklist

Commander (1)

1 Kenrith, the Returned King
Approximate Total Cost:

Still a work in progress. Any, advice, comments, and / or suggestions, are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by Card Slinger J 3 years ago, edited 27 times in total.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

I think this is an interesting take on Kenrith. It reminds me of a decklist that someone joked about being mana sources, lands, card draw, and Kenrith with no other win conditions. A fun card that you could take advantage of with your Board Control elements is Lazav, Dimir Mastermind. Kill their threat and then become a copy of it.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

I feel as though the creature base could use some work. I kinda like the idea of Lazav, Dimir Mastermind though and might try to go with a permanent clone strategy over artifact ramp hate. Suppression Field I feel is a bit of a double-edged sword in here since it shuts down my Planeswalkers as well so replacing it with something like Kismet might generate more feel bads at the table. At least it's better than running Stasis which I've seen abused in the format with Zur the Enchanter.

This deck is designed to be functioned as a Stax deck while at the same time trying to be anti-Stax with the Commander. Constant Mists kinda seems out of place in here as I kinda had a case of deckbuilders block at the time to see what kind of green instant I could utilize. Might need to run some form of self bounce to keep myself from getting locked into my own abilities more so that could be an avenue to pursue over the permanent clone strategy.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

If you're looking for a Stax deck that enables Kenrith to be the political bargaining tool you want him to be, then you're definitely going to want to look at the other opponent only limiting effects. Drannith Magistrate and Narset, Parter of Veils should definitely earn a look and maybe even Karn, the Great Creator as well. I'm not sure what your budget looks like but Linvala, Keeper of Silence is another great way to shut down your opponent's cards that's one-sided.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Kinda went with an Angel tribal sub theme since flavor wise the deck is based around Jesus which works out pretty well. Also forgot to add a bit more card draw as well which I think I fixed up. The token spam is mainly in here for Skullclamp and Phyrexian Vault though I had a bit of difficulty finding other sac outlets that enable me to draw more cards. Might take Phyrexian Vault out for Proteus Staff seeing as how I can cheat Angels onto the battlefield easier.

Also Kenrith's ability to add +1/+1 counters on Herald of War for casting Angels easier seems pretty clutch not to mention helping reduce Commander Tax on Kenrith. Seraph of the Scales and Basandra, Battle Seraph seem to play off each other really well since Seraph of the Scales can gain deathtouch for Basandra to lure attacking creatures in while Kenrith can do the same with his first ability. Smothering Tithe is also nice with Kenrith having my opponents draw as well.

- Ralph Smart

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I had a similar concept with Kenrith at the helm. I'll quote a paragraph from my thread.. "At it's essence it's a Group Hug deck for those playing Creatures and it's a Prison/Lock deck for those playing Noncreature spells."

You can check out the concept and approach here => viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22200&p=53155&hili ... ale#p53155

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Managed to streamline the decklist a bit more.

Love to get Rings of Brighthearth in here for Kenrith but it's out of my budget right now.

- Ralph Smart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”