darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

This deck has been retired.

Tayam, Luminous Enigma - Abzan Combos

Protection (instants)

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

This is a combo focused deck centered around some specific concepts. The general idea is to get indefinite loops where you can mill as much of your library as you want and bring back as many permanents as you want.

Combos #1
The first centers around 3 creatures from the Shadowmoor set which features creatures which can untap by putting a -1/-1 counter on themselves; Devoted Druid, Barrenton Medic, Cinderhaze Wretch.

This allows you build up lots of counters (on creatures) which you can then use Tayam, Luminous Enigma to remove them.
Now with needing 3 counters each time you want to use Tayam, this means that only Barrenton Medic would survive putting -3/-3 with its 4 toughness.
This means that you will always have counters to remove and only mana becomes the limiting factor to using Tayam ability.

Devoted Druid and Cinderhaze Wretch only have 2 toughness, so in theory can only put a single -1/-1 counter, otherwise they will die.
There are cards specifically in the deck to give them toughness boosts so that you can put 3 x -1/-1 counters on them.
If Devoted Druid can put -3/-3 counters on itself then it can also produce the 3 mana required for the Tayam activation. This means that you can activate the ability infinite times, milling your deck and putting all your 3 or less cost permanents into play.

Another combo is using cards that allow you to tap creatures for mana in Earthcraft, Cryptolith Rite, Song of Freyalise, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, so that you can also use Barrenton Medic and Cinderhaze Wretch for an infinite loop as well.

As I pointed out in order for Devoted Druid or Cinderhaze Wretch to work you need some additional help.
There are some lands in the deck that give stats bonuses, so if you've milled one of them you can look to use Tayam ability to put them into play, giving you access to them straight away with Centaur Garden and Hashep Oasis
Gavony Township is a bit slower, but this allows you make more counters for other plans.

Further to this you might actually have a number of cards in play that work together to make counters on creatures.
For example with Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, when you use Cinderhaze Wretch ability to untap, you'll create a 1/1 Snake and this comes with a "vigilance counter" from Tayam.
If you have Earthcraft for example in play now you can tap for 2 mana (Cinderhaze and Snake) while gaining 2 counters.
Alright so we are not all the way there for infinite, but now you can only need an additional 1 to activate Tayam and this digs you deeper into finding other ways to produce counters or mana.

Combos #2
Another combo that we are looking to abuse, is to keep activating Tayam to put lands into play. If you can make it so that a land taps for at least 3 mana, then that means you can activate Tayam as many times as you put a land into play.

However you also need a way to generate at least 3 counters on creatures each time as well.
Evolution Sage is the perfect card for this, as long as you've got two other creatures in play, with most likely "vigilance counters". Each time you put a land into play you can proliferate those counters, so that you can then remove them for Tayam ability.
Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest is also another one that you can use, but you'll need to specifically use it with any of the fetchlands. This is perfectly fine as you can just keep returning the same fetchland for as many times as needed.
Avenger of Zendikar will also give you counters.

There is only one card that allows you to get 3 mana off a single land with Nyxbloom Ancient.
However you can look to use 2 x mana doubling cards to also get this effect, so if you can combine any of these two you can go infinite; Mirari's Wake, Nissa, Who Shakes the World, Heartbeat of Spring, Lotus Cobra.
But its important to note that even if you only have one mana doubler in play, it's basically costing you only 1 to keep putting an additional land into play. So if you started the turn with 7 mana, then you'll end up putting 7 additional lands into play that turn! Then next turn double that again, unless of course you find your win conditions.

Combos #3
There are also some special lands that potentially produce multiple mana in; Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum, Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx.

First of all they are great because often they will pay for or even net you mana when you first have to activate Tayam for 3 mana.
For example if you have 3 creatures in play, then activating Tayam to bring Gaea's Cradle into play will mean that you can activate him again.
You'll need the counters enabler still with Evolution Sage, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest, Avenger of Zendikar.
Even if you are not going infinite, ramping lands into play just means you have so much more mana in the following turns to activate him, invariably milling and putting cards into play off the activation that will forward your game plan.

But you can go infinite with one of these lands if they provide enough mana to activate Tayam with mana left over, and a way to sacrifice the land with either Squandered Resources or Sylvan Safekeeper.
You can just keep sacrificing the same land, to put it back into play.

Tutors for days
Because it is a combo deck, there are a lot of tutors to help assemble the required cards.

Further to this, because of Tayam ability to put cards from graveyard into play, you can leverage off cards that put cards into graveyard rather than hand.
Entomb can get any card, so it might be that you need Earthcraft to complete an infinite combo, and so you can just use Entomb to search it and use Tayam to return it to play.

Buried Alive is just for creatures, so if you go for the setup of Devoted Druid and Twigwalker.
You can bring both the Devoted Druid and Twigwalker into play with Tayam ability and then sacrifice the Twigwalker to give the Devoted Druid +2/+2 allowing you to go infinite.

Congregation at Dawn can actually be used in the same way as Buried Alive, as you can activate Tayam before you draw the cards to mill them into your graveyard. This just means you can access them with his ability, rather than having to wait and draw them.

There are some land tutors as well as we have special lands that we want access to; Crop Rotation, Scapeshift, Realms Uncharted. The neat thing is that the lands that go to the graveyard can potentially be brought back with Tayam ability if you wanted them. This works particularly well with Realms Uncharted.

Other interactions
With Tayam ability to only bring back 3 or less cmc permanents, there are some key combo cards that cost more.
Animate Dead or Dance of the Dead can be returned to target Barrenton Medic, Cinderhaze Wretch, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest for example.

Freyalise's Winds is a way to get counters on your creatures, while also slowing down your opponents.
There are quite a lot of creatures that tap for mana in the deck, while Earthcraft, etc also allow you to do this.
You can remove the "wind counters" using Tayam and this means you get to untap them unlike your opponents.

Remember to use Wall of Roots during your opponents turns, even if you don't use the mana, as getting 4 counters on it will mean you have a guaranteed way to get an activation from Tayam each turn.

How to win?
The way the deck works is that there are quite a few disruptive element before you setup your combos.

There are a number of permanents that can be sacrificed for removal, and this means that you can reuse them again by using Tayam to bring them back into play; Caustic Caterpillar, Qasali Pridemage, Necrotic Sliver, Pernicious Deed.

The deck is also quite resilient to removal as you can get cards back from your graveyard. So unless your opponents are specifically dealing with Tayam or are exiling cards, its hard for them to stop you altogether.

Once you have milled your library and returned numerous permanents to play, then winning is just an inevitability.

With Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest you can make creatures infinitely large and attack for lethal with Concordant Crossroads helping to make it an alpha strike before opponents get a turn.

You can literally get infinite mana and destroy all your opponents permanents, including lands with Necrotic Sliver.

Whats not in the deck?
There are creatures that can generate a number of counters like;
Managorger Hydra, Ravenous Slime, Gideon's Avenger, Scute Mob, Grateful Apparition, Good-Fortune Unicorn, Forgotten Ancient, Sunscorch Regent, Ammit Eternal, Biogenic Ooze, Grismold, the Dreadsower.

The thing is that they do have a limit to their use if they don't provide loops. Sure you can get a Managorger Hydra up to 10 counters, but then that means you can only activate Tayam 3 times. Better than nothing, but this deck is geared towards busted plays.

There are some cards that would seem tempting at first that put counters on your permanents with Winding Constrictor, Pir, Imaginative Rascal, Doubling Season.
However the deck has a focus on -1/-1 counters with Devoted Druid, Barrenton Medic, Cinderhaze Wretch, and so is actually detrimental when trying to use them.

Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Have you been able to play this deck very much? How do you feel about it's playability, fun factor, speed, etc?

I gave my son his choice of the C20 precons and he wants the Abzan one, so we're discussing which commander to run and I'm looking at how to upgrade within a reasonable budget. Kathril, Aspect Warper is a one trick beetle, and the partners seem slow (I do like what you did in your list with them though!) Using this Tayam shell and focusing primarily on the -1/-1 counter combo pieces with support like Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons seems like a fun option.

I've also been considering a budget friendly and less combo-centered version of this with elves. I think a bunch of vigilant bodies pumped by lords that can attack then tap for mana post-combat can be abused. Stuff like Prowess of the Fair, Izoni, Thousand-Eyed, and Korozda Guildmage could net a bunch of vigilance counters. I also like the idea of leveraging Birchlore Rangers and Heritage Druid to give dorks pseudo haste and build some loops in conjunction with Tayam and a sac outlet.

Thoughts?
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Have you been able to play this deck very much? How do you feel about it's playability, fun factor, speed, etc?

I gave my son his choice of the C20 precons and he wants the Abzan one, so we're discussing which commander to run and I'm looking at how to upgrade within a reasonable budget. Kathril, Aspect Warper is a one trick beetle, and the partners seem slow (I do like what you did in your list with them though!) Using this Tayam shell and focusing primarily on the -1/-1 counter combo pieces with support like Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons seems like a fun option.

I've also been considering a budget friendly and less combo-centered version of this with elves. I think a bunch of vigilant bodies pumped by lords that can attack then tap for mana post-combat can be abused. Stuff like Prowess of the Fair, Izoni, Thousand-Eyed, and Korozda Guildmage could net a bunch of vigilance counters. I also like the idea of leveraging Birchlore Rangers and Heritage Druid to give dorks pseudo haste and build some loops in conjunction with Tayam and a sac outlet.

Thoughts?
Unfortunately this deck remains purely theoretical as I haven't purchased all the cards for it yet.

I really like the Elves idea. You have a mana sink with Tayam, Luminous Enigma so you can make use of mana dorks for sure.

Use Wirewood Symbiote to return an Elf each turn (even opponents) so that you can cast 3 or 4 Elves again to get counters back.
Make sure Elvish Visionary and Multani's Acolyte are in the deck for returning to hand for more value.

There are quite a few Elves that you can sink mana into to get additional +1/+1 counters; Joraga Warcaller, Incubation Druid, Wildborn Preserver, Llanowar Elite.

More Elves with +1/+1 synergies Marwyn, the Nurturer, Elvish Vanguard, Woodland Champion, Immaculate Magistrate, Ivy Lane Denizen, Realm Seekers.

Then Elves that produce tokens; Wirewood Hivemaster, Llanowar Mentor, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, Rhys the Redeemed, Imperious Perfect, Lys Alana Huntmaster.

Some other Elves I'd include (besides really obvious ones); Beast Whisperer, Lys Alana Scarblade, Bloodline Shaman, Elvish Harbinger, Oakhame Adversary.

The only problem I see is that because of the low mana cost of the deck, running out of action could happen quite often. If all you are bringing back with Tayam is other smallball Elves then its not super proactive ability from your commander at times.
Therefore non-Elf cards I'd play to backup this strategy are Regal Force, Shamanic Revelation, Ohran Frostfang, Guardian Project, Huatli, Radiant Champion, Krav, the Unredeemed, Mentor of the Meek, Dark Prophecy, Erebos, Bleak-Hearted, Fecundity, Grim Haruspex, Midnight Reaper.

There are other cards I thought of but as you've specified you're on a budget so I'd say out of scope. For example Tymna the Weaver, Oracle of Mul Daya, Liliana, Dreadhorde General, Yawgmoth, Thran Physician.

MeowZeDung

Thanks for the ideas. Lots I hadn't thought of.

Agreed that "smallball" is the issue here. Shaman of the Pack + Tayam + a free sac outlet was one solution I was considering. Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord also helps punch through.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I feel like Sakura-Tribe Elder is almost required with this general. Although you may want to add one of each other basic to make that good.

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

thanks for the primer, I plan on studying it.

I liked Tayam, Luminous Enigma a lot as soon as all the decks were spoiled and I plan on making my deck really good as well.

great primer, I learned a lot from reading it

MeowZeDung

Here's a first pass at Tayam elves, incorporating some ideas from your list and card suggestions. I think it's pretty straightforward, but also quite deep with a number of angles to victory.

Tayam, Luminous Elf Combo

Commander (1)

Elves ...and one bug (42)

Approximate Total Cost:

Even given budget restrictions there is probably a lot to tweak here. Little things, like whether to include panorama lands in the mana base, or trim down the elf count in favor of some stronger cards in the raw.

I wanted to include plenty of draw since the glut of cheap creatures can lead to an empty hand faster than I'd like.

I've opted for sac outlets as my primary method of filling the yard apart from Tayam. In addition to setting up combos and value engines, they work nicely with some other routes to victory such as Poison-Tip Archer/Shaman of the Pack.

Thoughts?

darrenhabib

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Here's a first pass at Tayam elves, incorporating some ideas from your list and card suggestions. I think it's pretty straightforward, but also quite deep with a number of angles to victory.

Even given budget restrictions there is probably a lot to tweak here. Little things, like whether to include panorama lands in the mana base, or trim down the elf count in favor of some stronger cards in the raw.

I wanted to include plenty of draw since the glut of cheap creatures can lead to an empty hand faster than I'd like.

I've opted for sac outlets as my primary method of filling the yard apart from Tayam. In addition to setting up combos and value engines, they work nicely with some other routes to victory such as Poison-Tip Archer/Shaman of the Pack.

Thoughts?
Looks really great!

One large advantage of your deck is that the Lords and pump effects means that Devoted Druid can easily be given the 4 toughness in order to go infinite.

If you can afford to put a Green Sun's Zenith, Finale of Devastation, Chord of Calling as converting these into any creature you need is..well priceless.

These are the changes I'd personally make.
Add: Altar of Dementia, Greater Good, Priest of Titania, Elvish Archdruid, Grim Haruspex, Austere Command, Living Death, Cleansing Nova, At least one of the tutors I mentioned.

Remove: Spawning Pit, Selesnya Guildmage, Erebos, God of the Dead, Ezuri's Predation, Decree of Pain, Merciless Eviction, Ambush Commander, Fecundity, Llanowar Mentor

Having the sacrifice outlets that put cards into graveyard is going to help find better targets for Tayam. So even though Greater Good you might be sacrificing a 2 power creature your discard can be converted into fueling your graveyard. But you are also capable of creating giant creatures, so drawing 7+ cards is not out of the question.

I know I suggested some of them like Fecundity and Llanowar Mentor but you might as well just have draw for yourself (Grim Haruspex) and Llanowar Mentor is a bit slow now that I see it in context with rest of deck.

As far as board control I prefer the ones I mentioned based on casting cost, versatility and context to rest of deck.

I do think that the Shaman of the Pack and Poison-Tip Archer route is going to be too slow and too hard to setup (without infinite), but I'm reluctant to suggest removing them as I often force my bias of strategy too much. Give them a try and see how they fair.

MeowZeDung

I got some of the last cards I needed for my son's elf combo build and sleeved it up this afternoon after work. As I was sleeving up Crop Rotation and Congregation at Dawn, I knew I had thought of a budget-ish tutor that would be great for this deck and went rifling through my box until I found it: Final Parting. Obviously your list and replies to my list both have some more powerful options, but for anyone looking for a cheaper card to start with, Parting is great. It puts Devoted Druid in the bin for a Tayam activation right before your turn, and Hashep Oasis, Shaman of the Pack, or whatever else you need to pull off the combo without a hitch directly into your hand.

For my elf build there's obviously also Elvish Harbinger to set it up, and I added Wirewood Herald for the same reason. Elvish Reclaimer can go get one of the lands to go with Devoted Druid, and I may use it as a replacement for Realm Seekers if they prove to be too expensive/slow. Fauna Shaman is another obvious elf option for anyone building it with a bigger budget than I am.

darrenhabib

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
I got some of the last cards I needed for my son's elf combo build and sleeved it up this afternoon after work. As I was sleeving up Crop Rotation and Congregation at Dawn, I knew I had thought of a budget-ish tutor that would be great for this deck and went rifling through my box until I found it: Final Parting. Obviously your list and replies to my list both have some more powerful options, but for anyone looking for a cheaper card to start with, Parting is great. It puts Devoted Druid in the bin for a Tayam activation right before your turn, and Hashep Oasis, Shaman of the Pack, or whatever else you need to pull off the combo without a hitch directly into your hand.

For my elf build there's obviously also Elvish Harbinger to set it up, and I added Wirewood Herald for the same reason. Elvish Reclaimer can go get one of the lands to go with Devoted Druid, and I may use it as a replacement for Realm Seekers if they prove to be too expensive/slow. Fauna Shaman is another obvious elf option for anyone building it with a bigger budget than I am.
If you can get your hands on an Allosaurus Shepherd then its another lord which can push you over the threshold for Devoted Druid.

MeowZeDung

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
If you can get your hands on an Allosaurus Shepherd then its another lord which can push you over the threshold for Devoted Druid.
Mmmm... tasty $55 budget elf lord. . .

On a non-snarky note :P I jammed Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen in earlier today, so that puts the deck at 4 lords and 9-10ish other ways of buffing a creature, either with counters or just until end of turn. I think that's a pretty good place to be.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”