Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar doesn't leave you many characters for deck description (brainsto

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I'm not sure which pronouns Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar prefers, so to be respectful I'm just not going to use any ever. Fair? Fair.

Still kinda feeling out which commanders, if any, from MH2 I want to build, but Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar does pique my interest a bit. Also my annoyance - why can't Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar search graveyard for the cookbook? If it gets blown up, you've gotta recur it manually if you want to keep using it, blech. It would have been neat to use the cookbook to recur Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar, then use Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar to recur the cookbook. And hardly busted considering the sac cost on the cookbook. But alas.

Anyway, Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar's got a lot of moving parts, which makes Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar an interesting puzzle imo. So off the top of my head, here's a few angles I'm considering:

-You need something to discard to cast Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar - that could be a core part of the deck a la madness, which makes sense given the cookbook, though as mentioned the cookbook is kinda fragile compared to something like just running Anje Falkenrath in the CZ. Alternately, Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar works just fine with any kind of cycling or Faithless Looting or whatever cards that happen to activate Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar. Either way you probably need quite a few cards that provide a discard outlet to reliably cast Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar. Although, alternative strat, you could just build up food with other cards, and then cast Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar and activate Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar right away

-Once Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar is actually on the battlefield and has fetched up the cookbook, Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar doesn't really do...that...much. Besides being a 3/3 body, Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar gives you a rattlesnake removal effect provided you can fuel Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar with enough food. So, if you want any real value out of Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar besides just fetching the cookbook one time, you might want some alternative options to produce food. Unfortunately, there aren't many, but fortunately we're playing black so we've got tutors. Only 11 RB cards mention food, of which Bog Naughty and Cauldron Familiar don't generate food. Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar is already in the CZ, and The Underworld Cookbook is already obviously in there. That brings us to 7. Tempting Witch, Giant's Skewer, Foreboding Fruit, and Bake into a Pie are all pretty mediocre - if skewer triggered on noncombat damage there's some major shenanigans we could pull, but alas yet again. Despite being repeatable it seems hard to really make worthwhile considering the steep equip cost and the difficulty of forcing blocks. The others are basically just bad or mediocre spells with a food attached. That leaves 3 interesting ones: Witch's Oven, Taste of Death, and Academy Manufactor. Taste of death is a decent spell with a whopping 3 food, and seems like a fine inclusion in a RB control deck, though it's still single-shot in most circumstances. Witch's Oven can definitely be effective in tandem with Bloodghast and co. To circle back to the cookbook, that could also be a good food generator with Squee, Goblin Nabob (though I don't think anything else quite replicates his effect in RB currently?). That leaves Manufactor, which is easily the highest potential food generator, since we could just outright ignore food and instead focus on treasure production or whatever, and get clues as a sweet bonus. Just dropping him with Dockside Extortionist could provide a ton of food, plus draw power and ofc mana. Brass's Bounty also comes to mind. So perhaps the best angle is to treat is as a combo deck trying to make huge food deposits to then use with Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar to have a machine gun removal spell on tap for the rest of the game?

-Okay, but another angle - instead of focusing on making a lot of food, maybe a smaller amount is sufficient if we can make the damage hurt more. Repercussion is neat. Brash Taunter can get the job done. Or perhaps something more exotic, like donating a Phyrexian Negator to an opponent and then blowing it to hell and back? I did my best to find creatures that will inflict extreme pain when damaged by Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar's ability (including creatures that punish for being the ones dealing the damage), but I confess I couldn't find many. Also, sadly, no Mirrorweave equivalent, just donation, which is a lot more resource intensive to get value from.

Overall I think the likely most effective route - that also has its own identity and isn't just a crappy version of anje - would be a build comboing to make a bunch of food, then abusing that food with Repercussion and Brash Taunter...as cute as the donation stuff is, it seems likely to clog the deck up with unplayables way too often.

What are your thoughts on Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I really hate that Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar and Gyome, Master Chef can't coexist in the same deck without a RBGX commander to tie them together. I think you could use something like Korvold or shattergang to better capitalize on the token/food effects in geeen, but it still bugs me that two of the multiverses greatest chefs can't collaborate without working in someone else's restaurant.

On the flavor side of things, you could build a whole food service theme deck lead by Korvold (the avaricious management/proprietor) with Gyome as head chef and Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar as sous chef. All the disposable dudes beneath them constitute the dishwashers, servers, prep cooks in this high-turnover industry, with a few other legends among them to represent long term employees or patrons.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”