Zurzoth, Chaos Rider - The Devil is in the Detail [$80 Budget Build]

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

As Jump-Start is being targeted at getting people into Magic with the idea of out-of-the-booster ready "decks" I thought it appropriate to make a budgeted version of Zurzoth, Chaos Rider for those that might pull a "Devilish" booster that contains Zurzoth and then want to get into the foray of Commander without breaking the bank.

There is a bit of a reanimation theme, which usually is blacks domain. But with some spicy artifacts in God-Pharaoh's Gift and Grimoire of the Dead we are looking to use Zurzoth discard a card at random to bin some of our larger creatures.
Feldon of the Third Path also allows you to bring back creatures from graveyard.

The creature base is between nice utility creatures at the lower curve, to high impact "fatties" to run riot over your opponents.

There are some cards that can turn your token Devils into a creature from your deck from the top cards in Divergent Transformations, Reality Scramble, Fireflux Squad.
It is random what creature(s) you'll get, but that is part of the fun and there are a lot great hits.

There are of course a few additional "Devil" creatures to go with Zurzoth, but its not like they are central to the deck as he can create Devils for you simply by attacking himself and the tokens he creates thereafter.
But they do make use of your graveyard so this goes nicely with the discard element of this deck.

Now with drawing and discarding there is a real sense of disrupting your opponents hands. Often players are trying to hold onto combination of cards, and the very word "random" can really spoil their day.

You also have a lot of other draw and discard cards to support the general themes of reanimation and making use of graveyard.
Squee, Goblin Nabob and Punishing Fire can return back to your hand, so that the random discard can sway in your favor if wanting to retain some cards.
However there is a lot of chaos elements to the deck so don't get caught up in keeping card in hand for too long.

In order to make the Devil pings and your creatures in general be way more effective there are a number of damage amplifiers.
Angrath's Marauders, Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, Embermaw Hellion, Jaya, Venerated Firemage, Quest for Pure Flame, Gratuitous Violence all help to make your creatures deadly.

There is a powerful combo you can look to setup with Underworld Breach and constantly casting Battle Hymn or Mana Geyser|Fifth Dawn to get lots of mana and then casting Burning Inquiry multiple times. This will allow you to stack your graveyard for casting whatever else is in your deck, or you can literally look to draw everybody out of cards in their decks (zero cards in library) and then just pass the turn for them to lose.

Tibalt is a planeswalker Devil so is in the deck for flavor and synergy.

Zurzoth, Chaos Rider Budget Build

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 8 times in total.

Tags:

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

I would definitely add damage amplifiers in this deck, that'd make the little devils a lot more threatening when they start doing 3+ damage.

Once the price of Zurzoth comes down after Jumpstart's release, Deflecting Swat might be able to fit in as a defensive measure. Geier Reach Sanitarium and Mikokoro, Center of the Sea are also cheap for global draw.

darrenhabib

Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago
I would definitely add damage amplifiers in this deck, that'd make the little devils a lot more threatening when they start doing 3+ damage.

Once the price of Zurzoth comes down after Jumpstart's release, Deflecting Swat might be able to fit in as a defensive measure. Geier Reach Sanitarium and Mikokoro, Center of the Sea are also cheap for global draw.
Fiendish Duo is Devil that does double damage but its a $32 card!

I do have Quest for Pure Flame but I'll add Angrath's Marauders and Gratuitous Violence as well.
Angrath's Marauders can be reanimated so the 7 mana can be cheated at times.
Gratuitous Violence only effects your creatures, but the only non-creature spells in the deck that deal damage are Abrade and Mizzium Mortars.

Dictate of the Twin Gods and Furnace of Rath are a symmetrical effect so I'll stay away from those for now.
Fiery Emancipation is currently a $10 card, so will wait to see if price comes down.

Additional damage amplifiers are Akki Lavarunner, Embermaw Hellion, Jaya, Venerated Firemage.

There is also Chandra's Incinerator which is currently $5 (Core 2021) so is a little pricey, but I do like the fact that you can ping opponents and then kill creatures at the same time. I'll watch to see if the price lowers to more like $2-$3 as I suspect it probably will.

As far as lands, I wanted Koth of the Hammer as effective as possible and just simply not have people worry about spending money on lands.
But there are definitely some quick wins that could be made.
Geier Reach Sanitarium is perfect for the looting theme and about $1.
Castle Embereth is under a $1.
Dwarven Mine is still a Mountain.

You can get all these for under a $1 each; Arch of Orazca, Field of Ruin, Isolated Watchtower, Myriad Landscape, Detection Tower.

These additions have made the deck about $10 more expensive, but I think its all worth while.

Ardeyn
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ardeyn » 3 years ago

Seems like this could wreak havoc on people trying to sculpt their hands. How about a Geth's Grimoire to synergise with the discard. Also Library of Leng might be neat to keep the really relevant cards.

Ardeyn
"A single spark of passion can change a man forever."

darrenhabib

Ardeyn wrote:
3 years ago
Seems like this could wreak havoc on people trying to sculpt their hands. How about a Geth's Grimoire to synergise with the discard. Also Library of Leng might be neat to keep the really relevant cards.

Ardeyn
Yes I like both those.
Library of Leng has some nice synergy with the top of library benefits as well in Divergent Transformations, Reality Scramble, Fireflux Squad, Etali, Primal Storm, so that you can choose what to put back ontop.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Fiendish Duo is Devil that does double damage but its a $32 card!
How the hell...? XD

Fireflux Squad is a nice find. and that Library of Leng interaction is clever. I'm glad Zurzoth unlike Nekusar is open to polymorph type strategy.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Nice as always!

Some suggestions:
Heat Stroke is a fun card that threatens the board.
Idol of Oblivion looks like solid card advantage.
Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner looks like she sould be in this deck, too, as sould Break Through the Line.
Explorer's Scope could be some solid ramp.

May I post my list, if I ever manage to cut the last three cards?

darrenhabib

cheonice wrote:
3 years ago
Nice as always!

Some suggestions:
Heat Stroke is a fun card that threatens the board.
Idol of Oblivion looks like solid card advantage.
Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner looks like she sould be in this deck, too, as sould Break Through the Line.
Explorer's Scope could be some solid ramp.

May I post my list, if I ever manage to cut the last three cards?
I like these suggestions. I've played Explorer's Scope in the past and found it pretty inconsistent however, even with supporting cards like Sensei's Divining Top.

I'll try Idol of Oblivion and Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner over some of the more expensive cards :)

Of course, please post your list!

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Finally! I managed to make the last cuts.
The deck is a lot of fun, but somehow... Zurzoth lacks the lategame power we need to really make an impact.

Nontheless, here is my decklist. I tried to add a few more control goodies I had laying around (Blood Moon etc.) and added a snow landbase.
Decklist

//Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”