Mardu Shops (Tymna-Akiri Artifacts)

capitacommunist
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

Mardu Shops (Tymna-Akiri Artifacts)

Mardu Shops is designed as an artifact aggro-combo deck for a meta without infinite combos. Tymna provides card advantage to go along with all of the creatures in the deck, while Akiri can generate some heavy beats as well as being a two-drop creature for Tymna to draw off of on turn 3. Marionette Master together with recursion engines and sac outlets provide the reach to close out games.
Mardu Shops

Commanders – 2

Approximate Total Cost:

Game-Plan

Early-game:

Typically, you play out any early ramp and decide whether you want to aim for an early Tymna or not. Playing Tymna early is often the right route to follow, but only if you expect you can immediately get two draws out of it. With 9 one drop creatures, and Akiri as a two-drop (aside from a number of other two drops), this is quite frequent. Otherwise it's best to keep Tymna in reserve for the mid-game when you have a more developed board position. This is one of the key roles that Akiri plays in the deck, as it helps to assure you of a second creature to drop before Tymna.
Example sequences:
Show
Hide
T1: Mox Opal - > Akiri, Line-Slinger
T2: Tymna the Weaver - > draw one
T3: Ideally draw two

T1: Hope of Ghirapur
T2: Akiri, Line-Slinger
T3: Tymna the Weaver - > draw two

T1: Chrome Mox - > Loyal Apprentice
T2: Tymna the Weaver - > draw two

Mid-game:

The main goal is to enable the main engine of the deck, revolving around combining recursion, sacrifice outlet and payoff. Tymna supports this plan by continuously drawing cards. Often cards can play more than one role, such as Goblin Welder being able to function as both recursion and the sacrifice outlet (albeit only once per turn), or Yawgmoth, Thran Physician functioning as both sacrifice outlet and payoff.

End-Game/Other Synergies

Here the main goal is to use the engine you've set to win, likely combined with racking up combat damage:

Thanks for reading and happy to hear your thoughts!

*****Credit for this Primer Template belongs to all members of the Primer Committee*****
Last edited by capitacommunist 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

capitacommunist

Time for an update with the latest sets - lots of changes!
Changes:
+Agadeem's Awakening - added as a flexible extra land / recursion element.
+Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - added as an extra land to support the mana base.
+Jeweled Lotus - this plays well into the deck's artifact theme and allows for faster starts with both commanders.
+Goblin Engineer - Entomb for an artifact on top of recursion.
+Sevinne's Reclamation - strongest recursion card for most of the combo pieces.
+Necropotence - although it's not easy to cast, the effect is too strong to miss
+Goldspan Dragon - I'm trying this one out over Angel of Invention, as it generates a lot of mana on its own and plays well with some of the best cards in the deck Smothering Tithe and Dockside Extortionist
+Magda, Brazen Outlaw - also trying this one out as it can generate artifacts for Akiri / ramp, as well as tutoring off a Dockside Extortionist.
+Luminous Broodmoth - excellent recursion card for this deck, giving most of your creatures a second life.
- Fiery Confluence
- Steel Overseer - cut due to being too slow
- Scrapheap Scrounger - replaced by the more powerful Goblin Engineer
- Angel of Invention - I've always liked this card, but trying Goldspan Dragon for now in its place.
- Weathered Wayfarer
- Dark Confidant - replaced by Necropotence
- Flawless Maneuver - I've felt this to often sit in hand, with two many board wipes avoided by it.
- Bastion Protector - less proactive than Luminous Broodmoth
- Reanimate - replaced by the broader Sevinne's Reclamation
I've also made various updates to the original post.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Howdy howdy!

Any thoughts on the various swords of stuff and things? I used to play a ludevic/akiri list and they were always stellar there, feast and famine being the best by far.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

capitacommunist

Thanks for your post!
I've had swords in there before and I can imagine adding one back again; I also feel like three equipment is on the short side for Stoneforge Mystic. What I was struggling with was that the five mana investment was significant and that they compete with Tymna on the curve. In addition the evasion/protection they often generate is somewhat limited. If I were to add one back in it would definitely be Sword of Feast and Famine though which was also my favorite in the list given it is quite mana hungry.
As another equipment to add I've also looked at Embercleave given it's damage potential and Shadowspear as a cheap equipment to give evasion and lifelink. Did you play/test those in your list as well/what are your thoughts on those versus the swords?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

So I had that list together prior to TBD so shadowspear didn't exist, but I did play my boy Loxodon Warhammer to great effect even despite costing 6(!) before ROI. Trample, first strike, vigilance, and lifelink is one wicked keyword soup. Spear seems like a strict upgrade, so I imagine it'd be beyond awesome. Cleave on the other hand doesn't strike me as all that great, but not terrible either. If you think you can get it for half price regularly enough, I'd say it's worth it because the keywords are excellent on akiri.

And yeah, Feast/Famine is definitely the best sword because it pays itself off, but Fire/ice also does good work. Shooting things for 2 is always relevant and the protections are hard to come by, but can be backbreaking on occasion.

Imo I'd add Spear and Feast/famine at least, they're too spectacular to omit if you've got em.

capitacommunist

Thanks for the explanation! I do have a sword of feast and famine so for now I'll add that in as a test slot and see how it performs, and how often I'm searching for it with Stoneforge Mystic. I'll also check if I wish it was a Shadowspear instead when I draw/tutor for it to compare the two.

Sdidonato

Post by Sdidonato » 6 months ago

Thank you @capitacommunist. A year after building this deck (and testing out a dozen others), this still remains my favourite edh deck to play with.

Since I'm a bit of a boomer, I did currently swap in Mirror Universe, Fire Covnant, Nevinyrall's Disk and Yawgmoth Demon. Mirror Universe is more insurance and tends to work quite well with Necro, Fire Covnant and Mana Vault + Crypt

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 6 months ago

Thanks and great to hear - it's still one of my favorite EDH decks too after years of playing it!
I've played with Fire Covenant before as it's a great card but cut it due to all the life loss adding up and often becoming a bit of a target. One recent addition to my list in a similar vein has been Delayed Blast Fireball together with Beseech the Mirror; if you cast Fireball off of Mirror you get the full one-sided wrath as it's cast from exile.
Mirror Universe I've never tried - is it easy enough to get around the mana cost and the timing restriction?

On another note lots of great cards for this deck (as well as old border aesthetic upgrades) in the last year. I need to update the list in the OP, but some of the new cards that have worked very well: And the one ring has me wondering if Manifold Key / Voltaic Key should make an appearance as well.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 6 months ago

I've been considering building a version of this deck with Jan Jansen, Chaos Crafter to abuse the interaction between Immovable Rod and Clock of Omens. Do you think Mardu is the right color combo to pull that off or should I look for something with Blue for Trinket Mage, etc? I've never played a nonblue artifact list so I'm wondering how your experience has been with Mardu Shops. Do you often miss the blue synergies or is there enough in Mardu to keep the ball rolling?

Sdidonato

Post by Sdidonato » 5 months ago

I can't say that Mirror Universe is OP by any means. I've successfully got it to work twice (out of 4 times). Once of which was due to Goblin Welder; the only way to recur it at instant speed. I never had issues with bringing it out mid-to-late game.

Thanks for the other suggestions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”