Brokkos, Eat Your Vegetables

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 3 years ago

Kids these days, no body is willing to eat their vegetables. We've got to reduce our carbon footprint and that's what Brokkos is here to do. Nobody knows how important time is more than some dude whose been around forever. By making kids eat the broccoli, he'll reduce their carbon footprint.

My initial build involved playing Brokkos at Instant Speed onto a Ninja but while the meme was strong, the deck wasn't. Here, it's more of a value control shell that has a kill piece that just won't go away.
You Like It

Commander - 1

Basic Lands - 13

Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
Changes 12/22/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/20/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/20/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/12/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/12/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/22/20
Show
Hide
Changes 11/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/12/20
Show
Hide
Changes 11/12/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 10/10/20
Show
Hide
Changes 10/10/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 08/31/20
Show
Hide
Changes 08/31/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 08/27/20
Show
Hide
Changes 08/27/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 07/25/20
Show
Hide
Changes 07/25/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 07/13/20
Show
Hide
Changes 07/13/20

Out

Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/24/20
Show
Hide
Changes 06/19/20
Show
Hide
Changes 06/19/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/18/20
Show
Hide
Changes 06/18/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/17/20
Show
Hide
Changes 06/17/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tevesh 3 years ago, edited 20 times in total.

Tevesh

Realized I had two too many lands:
Changes 06/17/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Consuming Aberration is one of the Creatures I've wanted to add to the deck as another way to make someone eat Broccoli. Journey to Eternity is another way to put Brokkos' buddies into play for him to Broccolize.

I found that I had an Overgrown Tomb and Sunken Hollow and figured why not add them for Farseek, Wood Elves, etc. value?

Artaud
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Artaud » 3 years ago

I think you miss a theme of "eating broccoli" here. Your list is a mixed bag of cards that has nothing to do with Brokkos "broccolization". Eating broccoli should make frail or unhealthy-fat body into healthy, strong 6/6 that can capitalize on its abilities to much greater extend. This means you should use "frail" creatures with abilities based on their power, like: Going further the "unhealthy → healthy" theme you can use more creatures with Deathtouch as it works great with Trample and Brokkos 6 power or go Infect route to make Commander a two-turn clock.

Tevesh

Artaud wrote:
3 years ago
I think you miss a theme of "eating broccoli" here. Your list is a mixed bag of cards that has nothing to do with Brokkos "broccolization". Eating broccoli should make frail or unhealthy-fat body into healthy, strong 6/6 that can capitalize on its abilities to much greater extend. This means you should use "frail" creatures with abilities based on their power, like: Going further the "unhealthy → healthy" theme you can use more creatures with Deathtouch as it works great with Trample and Brokkos 6 power or go Infect route to make Commander a two-turn clock.
The deck is too casual to Cephalid Constable or Needle Specter someone. If I don't use that card in Marchesa because I find it too mean then I'm definitely not going to use it here. Instead of making small boys big, I rather just slap Trample on absolutely massive Beasts like Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar. I'm going to be giving this a whirl soon so I'm sure more obvious cuts will pop up and I'll have to figure out how to shore those up.

Tevesh

Looking over the list, I realized I could put in bodies that also Ramp:
Changes 06/18/20
Approximate Total Cost:

This way Broccoli man can latch on them and they can Ramp the deck to be able to use him. Deathtouch on Gitrog is great with Brokkos. Gitrog is a draw engine and Ramp piece so it makes sense to replace Resurgent and the Getgood Monster costs less. Explore is a solid Cantrip but I rather have a critter out that can ensure I keep hitting my land drops.

Tevesh

A little more polish:
Changes 06/19/20
Approximate Total Cost:

With The Gitrog Monster monster coming in, having the Excavator made more sense. I know the Excavator is a draw engine against the Ramp of Bear Umbra but I rather have another body for Broccoli-chan to latch onto.

Deathsprout is just a cute card I've been trying to find love for. Much like a maligned adoptee, it gets sidelined for something more exciting: Realm Seekers. By giving themselves +1/+1 Counters, and a lot of them, Broccoli can get absolutely huge. Adding these Elves also means I can justify more utility lands.

Crux of Fate blows up the world, Toxic Deluge can absolutely deep clean and hopefully big boy Broccoli can be so big he can survive the Deluge.

Animate Dead is solid utility but I think I rather get all my cards back. Seasons Past is so damned good.

By putting in Excavator, I decided to add some Field of Ruin which also goes well with the Getgood Frog. Winding Canyons goes in as this deck is a pseudo-control deck that aims to stuff Broccoli down peoples' throats and an unexpected EOT can be devasating. Shizo is a way for Broccoli to punch in. Three Basics come out; considering how many Black pips I eliminated in these changes, I felt like I should leave my Islands alone.
Last edited by Tevesh 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Artaud

Post by Artaud » 3 years ago

If you want nothing but fat then look no futher than Lord of Extinction but there are much better way of giving something trample (Rancor) than using commander to do that. If you insist though then deathtouch creatures like Liliana's Reaver are great beneficiants of trample for casual deck.

Tevesh

Artaud wrote:
3 years ago
If you want nothing but fat then look no futher than Lord of Extinction but there are much better way of giving something trample (Rancor) than using commander to do that. If you insist though then deathtouch creatures like Liliana's Reaver are great beneficiants of trample for casual deck.
Lord is too pricey besides, I already know which fatty fat fat I'm going to use: Copperhoof Vorrac.

Tevesh

Revenge of Math is Hard:
My deck was over by two cards, so I axed Sandwurm Convergence and Nissa's Renewal based on them being the most expensive.

I found out that Eternal Witness is kind of terrible. I'm playing Value Control so I want to play a piece, grow some Broccoli on it and be so far ahead. Witness' Regrowth is amazing but her Human Creature type left my Broccoli dejected. It was so weird to play a few games and having E-Wit be the card staring back at me in my hand, shrugging at its underperformance. In her stead comes Nightveil Predator because I do need a way to beat all of those Maze of Ith effects in the game.

Thada Adel could swing at a lot less open targets than I initially thought and so she goes. Fallen Shinobi will let me do the similar act of slinging my opponents' spells and not just be limited to Artifacts. I also do like the shenanigans that Ninjutsu offers, either bounce Broccoli or something else before or after damage.

Syphon Mind was OK but I rather slap down a huge fatty. Copperhoof Vorrac is a pet card of mine from years ago, I had almost forgotten it until I saw it in a Gyrus, Waker of Corpses do absolute insane things. Yes please, I would like to slap +20/+20 on my Trampling Commander, thankyouverymuch.

With the theme of Broccoli just giving huge monsters Trample, I put in Momentous Fall from my positive experiences in my Ruric Thar, the Unbowed deck. Well, that card did amazing, so I'm putting in the other 'draw on power' based cards with Rishkar's Expertise and Life's Legacy. Pull from Tomorrow and Reins of Power were more gimmicky and mana intense than I originally thought, so they go for these massive draw engines.

Zagoth Triome is a strict upgrade over Opulent Palace for my Wood Elves, Farseek, etc.

Tevesh

Spoils of surviving with polish:
Changes 07/25/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Unfortunately, my fond memories of Copperhoof Vorrac are only that: memories. I remember this pig getting absolutely massive but that was in a 20 life format of Kitchen Sink Multiplayer. +7/+7 is quite big; it doesn't cut the mustard in EDH. I'll bring in Jarad who will be less big but he can chuck my monsters to kill the table, I need reliable ways to end the game and so Jarad comes in. Between Broccoli pumping my men and Jarad keep coming back, I'm sure this is a way to kill the table and that's without considering Broccoli's 6/6 size getting Jarad's +1/+1 per dead Creature.

Fact or Fiction is great in a less marathon oriented shell but Broccoli's in it for the long haul. That means The Great Henge does a better job of giving me mana, health, size and draws - all things I want. With Broccoli's massive size, I doubt we'll ever had to pay full price.

Tevesh

Tunings?
Changes 08/27/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I wanted another Wrath effect and I figure Pernicious Deed is damned good at that. Though perhaps I should have a Planeswalker or three to really take advantage of its specificity. I cut Journey to Eternity because I disliked how many hoops I had to jump through to make it work.

So, the thing about Mutate is that Haste doesn't really matter which means that Winding Canyons' Flash doesn't. I place a Creature down and only if it survives until the next turn do I turn it into Broccoli. This effectively means my Commander always has Haste, always wears the 'Deal with It' Sunglasses. In its stead, I've placed Miren because I do tend to hold my mana open like a good Control deck, I want to be able to gain life to keep me in the game and when my strategy revolves around making humungous chonkers, why not go with something that scales off of their butts?

Tevesh

Resiliency:
Changes 08/31/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Fallen Shinobi sure is a good time but this is a Control deck, it can't really spend time on memes. Hell, any time I improve a deck, the memery falls by the wayside. Anyway, I figure this is a deck that makes sense to have a Scarab God. I've found that there are times when I didn't have a body for Broccoli to latch onto. With The Scarab God's token making power and its recursion, Broccoli's gonna have tons of things to latch onto. Whether that's 4/4 tokens or following The Scarab God's return trigger, I'll have far more bodies to get onto which was a problem last time I played.

Into the Story can be really good, draw 4 for 4 but focusing on your Floors instead of Ceilings is how you improve a deck. Sire of Stagnation can draw me a lot more than four cards and if he doesn't, it means someone has used Removal on it or people have stopped advancing their economy. Hell, with access to Flash with Alchemist's Refuge I can maybe sneak this guy into play after a Boundless Realms or Nissa's Renewal. Basically, I'm banking on a body over an Instant for card draw and the Colourless state of this Eldrazi does randomly come up. Having a body is nice, especially since my entire setup is having my Commander latch onto one.

I was thinking my life gain was a little low, so I decided to try out Rite. Seems good in a deck filled with disposable, large bodies where I already have those synergies in the deck. Since that could be a very large smash to the dome, I figure it's a form of Removal and so I can get away with cutting Snuff Out.

Tevesh

Obvious and least impressive:
Changes 10/10/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Erebos's Intervention is the least impressive card in the deck; I've put in Hadana's Climb as a way to quickly have Broccoli one-shot players. I have multiple ways to get a massive Broccoli, 11 power with Hadana's Climb is a one-shot and the Climb's Flying with Broccoli's innate Trample will make him hard to block. So, a lot of theory but I hope it'll distinguish itself more than Erebos's Intervention.

Malakir Rebirth is a low opportunity cost way to giving my Commander more protection, plus it might be fun having two different Creatures come back into play when my opponent thinks they are dead.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Huh, I somehow massively downplayed the potential of Malakir Rebirth // Malakir Mire to be useful. Good catch.

...now I've got to reevaluate it for Daxos. Dammit :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Huh, I somehow massively downplayed the potential of Malakir Rebirth // Malakir Mire to be useful. Good catch.

...now I've got to reevaluate it for Daxos. Dammit :P
Well, anything to report regarding Rebirth?

Instinct Update:
Changes 11/12/20
Approximate Total Cost:

My regular opponents are smart; they pay the one, so Rhystic ends up being a nice pumping of the breaks. Unless someone is very far ahead or behind, it doesn't draw me that many cards. I'm trying Search because it easily flips with the amount of cards that get dumped into my Graveyard. This deck also tends to keep a lot of mana open, it plays very much like a Draw-Go Control deck except I toss random Wincons out to see what sticks because the deck doesn't care if they get removed. Activating Search will allow me to dig deeper for either that threat or answer as I need them; plus it dodges my Pernicious Deed if I need to pop that.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

I didn't get around to testing it. Seeing how I decided Daxos is content enough with his mana situation to sit out the crowdland, I sure as heck wasn't going to carve out a basic for that.

Interesting that you say you play draw-go, you've got fourteen instants. What do you tend to do with unspent held mana? I guess you have a few activated abilities kicking around.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
I didn't get around to testing it. Seeing how I decided Daxos is content enough with his mana situation to sit out the crowdland, I sure as heck wasn't going to carve out a basic for that.

Interesting that you say you play draw-go, you've got fourteen instants. What do you tend to do with unspent held mana? I guess you have a few activated abilities kicking around.
Well, Brokkos is my Morphling and instead of wasting Countermagic protecting him, I toss out little bodies for him to latch onto. Then I just need to turn sideways at someone a few times for them to die. The general feel is there, even if the comparison is not that apt.

Hadana's was a bust:
Changes 11/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

As a Control deck, I need more ways to survive. When I topdecked the Climb while facing down a swarm of pokes from around the table, I realized that it should probably be something defensive. I was looking for my copy of Aetherize and I realized that I'm all out of them. Well, until I find another copy in this lockdown life, Bonds is going to have to do. It'll give me reach and pad my life total.

Tevesh

Drain parts:
Changes 12/12/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Jarad required too much setup and he wasn't even guaranteed to be that big. Twilight Prophet will give me life and provides Flying for Broccoli.

Acidic Slime really didn't really impress me much. If I had a bigger value engine, I would really be able to abuse it but instead I found myself wanting a bigger blowout effect and either mode of Szat's Will qualifies - much less when I get both.

I know I want Crawling Barrens in the deck and Marisi needs The Henge really badly, so this is the temporary cut for the moment I'm making.

Tevesh

Probably better?:
Changes 12/20/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Sudden Spoiling has a lot of strengths over Aetherize; it can't be countered and it lets me set up some favourable blocks to absolutely end those attacking into me. I'm cutting it because I rather like the tempo hit Aetherize causes and this deck has Black as its least played colour. Those two Black pips have occasionally caused me pain. Aetherize costs one blue, which I have plenty of, even if it is CMC is higher.

Tevesh

Crippling the dumb:
Changes 12/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I am a dumb greedy bastard. Capsize costs 6; you always pay 10+ with Necropotence and all sorts of other behaviours that made me lose. I can recognize my mistakes outside of the moment but when I'm in the moment, casting without Buyback is pulling teeth. So, I've got to design my decks against my greed. Multani and The Scarab God made me so damned greedy and this deck can't handle that amount.

In their stead, I put in Extort Creatures to help push out low health foes and help me gain life. With the focus on lower on the curve Creatures, Journey to Eternity returns as a way to keep using and abusing my critters for Broccoli to latch onto. I don't have a huge Exsanguinate pay off or insane amount of pips for Gray Merchant of Asphodel so Bolas's Citadel was cool but it killed me. Citadel leaves for Journey.

Faerie Conclave is another evasive body with relatively low opportunity cost to play. I've been surprised at how often I couldn't favourably punch in with Broccoli, so I'm slipping in Rogue's Passage.

Tevesh

Well %$#%, I got screwed. Someone shattered the glass when they said "Brokkos is just Kenrith with extra steps." And I realized they were right. I have a lot more fun with Kenny who does better than Broccoli and Broccoli is making me jump through a lot of hoops when Kenny has tons of ways to deal with whatever while also having a fun theme.

I'm trying for original feels when I play decks and Brokkos plays the same but worse than Kenrith's value-control. I've decided the best place to place Broccoli is out on a nice farm upstate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”