Atraxa, Praetors' Voice - STAX BEATDOWN - Artifacts Only

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

ATRAXA, PRAETOR'S VOICE

INTRODUCTION

With the double masters reprint, I thought it was time to tackle Atraxa, Praetors' Voice. Yes, she is overbuilt, but for good reason. She is powerful. She is also a challenging commander to build around simply because of the sheer number of options and distinct directions you can take her.

I decided to go a route I seldom see. "Artifacts stax beatdown". I'm using classic stax cards like Smokestack combined with the old reliable beatsticks such as Arcbound Ravager and Blightsteel Colossus.

The gameplan here is to throw out as many stax pieces as possible then procede to beat face with a few very large or very threatening creatures, including Atraxa herself.

DECK PHILOSOPHY

Why Atraxa? Atraxa allows the use of some of the best colored artifacts like The Great Henge, Bolas's Citadel, Etherium Sculptor, and Bronze Guardian that a typical artifact deck may not be able to run together.

Atraxa enables some otherwise pretty janky cards to the point where they are usable or downright broken! I love that! As a creature, she is a powerhouse and I really dig her style and abilities. Within the archetype of stax, she allows us to acrew value on our board without actually casting more spells. Making our creatures larger, putting more coutners on things like Astral Cornucopia and Everflowing Chalice.

Here I am choosing to bring Atraxa back to her roots by going 100% artifacts, proliferating counters on those artifacts, with some infect and voltron elements thrown in.

When I say 100% artifacts, I mean it! The only cards in the deck that aren't artifacts are lands and Atraxa herself! Going a dedicated artifact route means we get the most value from cards like Mystic Forge, Semblance Anvil, and Cranial Plating.

PLAYING THE DECK

Generally speaking, the stax pieces are here to SLOW DOWN our opponents. Eventually they will find removal for them, but it should allow us to establish our own board, maybe get a couple threats into play.

Being able to recover from artifact hate is one of our main goals. Getting a card draw engine or a recursion piece into hand early is CRUCIAL. We know our stax pieces and early board investment are fragile by nature. Most of our opponents are going to have access to mass artifact hate in the form of cards like Vandalblast, Bane of Progress, and Austere Command.

WIN CONDITIONS

Our primary and "fair" strategy is to slow down our opponents for as long as it takes to get a fat beatstick on the table and smack our opponents life totals down. Most often this is going to be Atraxa herself in combination with something like Sword of Truth and Justice or Cranial Plating.

CURRENT DECKLIST

Decklist

LANDS

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by RowanKeltizar 1 year ago, edited 67 times in total.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Tags:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

I narrowed the deck down to 100 cards and would now really appreciate some input. As stated, this is an archetype that I'm pretty unfamiliar with but am excited to build.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

capitacommunist
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

Nice theme for a deck - artifacts are an extremely fun card type to play with (my number one deck is mardu artifacts).

On the mana rocks I would replace Pyramid of the Pantheon with something like Gilded Lotus instead, which will give you the same amount of mana for a similar investment without all the hoops to go through. In my experience from standard I was also not very impressed by Sphere of the Suns. Coming into play tapped and potentially running out of counters make it worse than a signet or talisman. In general I think playing signets would be quite good with Atraxa and a lot of other cards at 4 cmc.

Skill Borrower could be a fun card with the number of activated abilities in your deck. Karn would also be a great fit. Cloud Key could be another mana reducer. Arcbound Ravager would allow you to translate a number of less valuable artifacts into a massive threat. And as threats go, Myr Battlesphere is a great one. And with the lower amount of removal, I think that having Sword of Sinew and Steel will also help out.

With respect to the manabase I would not recommend the single activation rainbow lands because they will be difficult timing wise. My feeling is that you will often need them to cast Atraxa, after which they cannot regain the counter anymore. Academy Ruins also seems great here!

And you mention that Tangle Wire would not be fun, but I think as long as you don't play it out in the first couple of turns it should be fine. It will help to protect you by tapping permanents down or it will slow down your opponents board development.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

I added a few of the cards you mentioned and made some other changes. Generally trying to bring down my mana curve to 3.0. Currently sitting at 3.5

I feel like Pyramid of the Pantheon should be enabled with some of the proliferate cards in the deck. I don't think I particularly need a lot of help ramping into Atraxa, since she only costs 4. It's more getting all 4 colors that I'm concerned about.

The signets are great for color fixing however. I did add Arcane Signet since it should probably be an auto-include in a 4 color deck. I will see what else can come out for the others.

Skill Borrower could probably be a fun card, and is worth testing but I'm skeptical about its consistency.

Myr Battlesphere - I need to choose my high cost threats wisely and I'm not sure this does enough for me.

Academy Ruins is a great card and I may end up moving it from my izzet deck to this one since I should be able to get more use out of it until I can pick up another copy.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

Alright, so after a while of playing this deck, I have now fully committed to the stax archetype. Mainly because I still really like the idea of an artifacts only Atraxa build. I think it is pretty unique. However, that presents a whole gambit of weak points. We are super limited on draw, recursion, and interaction. I think the best we can do is stop our opponents from getting too far ahead with the stax pieces.

We need to play to artifacts' strengths and one of those is stax. In artifacts only we have some of the best stax cards ever printed. I think this does a lot to cover the decks many weak points and skew the playing field in our favor.

@benjameenbear you might find this deck interesting. I've leaned away from stax cards in my other lists for the most part but here I want to fully commit to the strategy because I think it fits what I envision the deck doing. My intention is to learn and grow my repertoire of strategies and archetypes.

As much as possible, I've removed the "nonbos" from the list. For example, I've taken out the recursion spells in favor of cards like Grafdigger's Cage. I never want to be in the situation of having a recursion spell in hand but having this on the field.

I've made sure to include several ways to sacrifice my own artifacts in Arcbound Ravager and Krark-Clan Ironworks. This allows me to break through my own stax prison if I need to.

I guess the main strategy here is throw down large and game winning creatures which can swing in for lethal as well as gradually making Atraxa a huge lifelinking beatstick. It's a simple strategy but I like it.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
2 years ago
Alright, so after a while of playing this deck, I have now fully committed to the stax archetype. Mainly because I still really like the idea of an artifacts only Atraxa build. I think it is pretty unique. However, that presents a whole gambit of weak points. We are super limited on draw, recursion, and interaction. I think the best we can do is stop our opponents from getting too far ahead with the stax pieces.

We need to play to artifacts' strengths and one of those is stax. In artifacts only we have some of the best stax cards ever printed. I think this does a lot to cover the decks many weak points and skew the playing field in our favor.

@benjameenbear you might find this deck interesting. I've leaned away from stax cards in my other lists for the most part but here I want to fully commit to the strategy because I think it fits what I envision the deck doing. My intention is to learn and grow my repertoire of strategies and archetypes.

As much as possible, I've removed the "nonbos" from the list. For example, I've taken out the recursion spells in favor of cards like Grafdigger's Cage. I never want to be in the situation of having a recursion spell in hand but having this on the field.

I've made sure to include several ways to sacrifice my own artifacts in Arcbound Ravager and Krark-Clan Ironworks. This allows me to break through my own stax prison if I need to.

I guess the main strategy here is throw down large and game winning creatures which can swing in for lethal as well as gradually making Atraxa a huge lifelinking beatstick. It's a simple strategy but I like it.
I'm always down for an Artifact-centric list that includes the color u.

So the main strength of Stax is that it stretches the LENGTH of the game ideally in your favor so that you can create a stronger board presence and/or accrue more card advantage. By invalidating specific strategies with specific Stax pieces, you're proactively invalidating multiple cards of your opponents simultaneously with just a single card of your own.

So, the first thing I'd do to maximize this strategy is to determine HOW you want to end the game. Sounds like you want to do beatdown after throttling your opponents out. I'm down with that.

Equipment is a good theme and fits perfectly into this color scheme. You have solid recursion elements in these colors too, so you could look to Glissa, the Traitor decklists for additional inspiration.

Tangle Wire is a must. With an active Atraxa, it will never die. Imagine cloning it or making copies of it a la Phyrexian Metamorph or Sculpting Steel. So I'd play some recursion elements in the deck with cards like Academy Ruins or Buried Ruin or Scrap Trawler.

Any specific feedback you're looking for?

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Any specific feedback you're looking for?
What do you think of my current decklist? Main point of posting this is to try and get a pretty good idea of what cards I need to fork out for in the coming months.

I think this is fairly new territory for deckbuilding. I've never seen an artifacts only stax build.

I leaned away from recursion simply because of Grafdigger's Cage . But maybe that's a mistake.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

benjameenbear

I think it's soft in the removal & card advantage suites, which you've acknowledged but I think you're neglecting colored Artifact spells that can help shore up these weaknesses. Here's a list of some colored Artifacts (and some non-colored ones) that I think you could implement in your list:
  • Dispeller's Capsule - decent removal option that's an Artifact.
  • Sylvok Replica - more utility removal.
  • Executioner's Capsule - Doom Blades are better than no removal.
  • Courier's Capsule - a Divination when you're ready.
  • Baleful Strix - uh, yeah. Cantrips, protects your neck, easily Clampable and recurrable.
  • Witching Well - smooths draws in the early game, becomes a Divination when you need it.
  • Angel of the Ruins - a new addition to your removal suite.
  • Arcanist's Owl - digs pretty deep and has a nearly 100% chance of finding a card to replace itself.
  • Moriok Replica - card advantage on a body. Can't be picky if you're going to be solely dedicated to Artifacts for this decklist.
  • Scrap Trawler - recursion of Stax pieces is always good and you can implement a neat little sacrifice sub-theme. With Krark-Clan Ironworks you can also open up some infinite loops with the Trawler and another recursion piece.
  • Myr Retriever/Junk Diver - recursion pieces that help you stay consistent and relevant in the game.
  • Armix, Filigree Thrasher - could be an extremely powerful removal engine for your deck if you want it.
  • Silas Renn, Seeker Adept - interesting form of recursion for your deck.
  • Traxos, Scourge of Kroog - what's Atraxa without her Phyrexian engine of doom?
  • Verdurous Gearhulk - start the Proliferate engine of overwhelm with this guy and Atraxa.
  • Sword of Fire and Ice - take card advantage where you can and Atraxa holds equipment just fine.
  • Bronze Guardian - giving Ward to basically your whole board seems pretty good to me.
  • Noxious Gearhulk - uh... this is pretty self-explanatory.
  • Duplicant - yeah.
  • Sen Triplets - because Mind-Slavering people is fun? This card generates card advantage for you and can help disrupt your opponents significantly (Stax's primary purpose).
  • Sharuum the Hegemon - yeah, another obvious include imo.
  • Ethersworn Adjudicator - moar removal options.
  • Filigree Angel - gain tons of life as an ETB body that you can easily abuse.
  • Magister Sphinx - evens the playing field for you and resets any shenanigans other opponents might be doing with lifegain.
  • Sphinx Summoner - go find any creature and put it into your hand. I think it's solid.
  • Merchant's Dockhand - a nice way to draw cards or filter your draws and also turns off Winter Orb or Static Orb when you want.
  • Scarecrone - great way to recur some creatures to play or cantrip when you need cards.
  • Sculpting Steel - another clone effect is always good.
  • Sanctum Gargoyle - more recursion options for your deck.
  • Transmogrifying Wand - with Atraxa's proliferate ability, you should be able to keep Ox-ifying things pretty consistently. Be careful about getting stampeded? Nah.
  • Esperzoa - I'm not sure if this will have a ton of impact for your strategy, but being able to reuse an ETB effect or reset a Stax piece looks to be very promising.
  • Behemoth Sledge - suit up Atraxa, gain some life, stomp some faces.
  • Birthing Pod - for shame.
  • Mindlock Orb - I've always wanted a place for this card, and this seems like a perfect fit with the minimal tutor effects that your chosen strategy requires.
  • God-Pharaoh's Statue - hit your opponents on the stack with Stax! (see what I did there?)
  • Wishclaw Talisman - or you can totally add some more tutors to increase the consistency of your deck.
It's a pretty extensive list, and I'm not saying you should include all of these cards, but there are multiple cards in this list that help shore up the weaknesses you've identified and add in consistency and resiliency to your overall strategy. You'll still have a solid Stax suite to stretch the game, but hopefully you'll have more gas to find more cards to deploy and take advantage of the extended game state you've created via Stax.

If I were to build a sans-Red Artifact Stax list personally with your list as an inspiration, it would look something along the lines of this. Use it as inspiration or not, no worries!

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Do you feel it's more important to run the recursion and etb effects and skip Torpor Orb and Grafdigger's Cage ? I notice that's one thing you changed with your decklist.

In terms of removal and card advantage I sort of decided to steer the deck toward the stax effects instead. I had a lot of these suggestions in here already but I found them to be pretty inconsistent and not really that synergistic with Atraxa herself. Generally, I would like to lean more on Atraxa's inherent strengths including her proliferate effect and less artifact "goodstuff"

I took out cards like Sharuum the Hegemon and Silas Renn, Seeker Adept just because I never wanted to be in the situation of having Grafdigger's Cage in play and these in my hand. I feel that Cage does more for me overall because it completely shuts down a lot of decks. I've really struggled to be relevant with this deck in my playgroup.

I also took out most of the ETBs including Noxious Gearhulk and Verdurous Gearhulk because I'm running Torpor Orb .

I had the capsules in here originally because they work pretty well with the artifact recursion, but took those out when the recursion came out.

I definitely want to steer away from some of the higher cmc spells like Magister Sphinx I just think in a stax list where I am running things like Winter Orb, Tangle Wire, etc... that will be problematic.

Sculpting Steel is already in the deck currently.

Armix, Filigree Thrasher is actually already in the list, I just forgot to add him to the OP. Good card!

I think I am leaning more toward a voltron strategy with Atraxa where I suit her up with equipment and protect her with the stax cards. There are a lot of equipment that give +1/+1 counters over time.

Fractal Harness I think could be an example of the direction I am trying to go. It just sits on the field and makes Atraxa more and more of a threat very quickly.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Btw, perhaps Iron Maiden could replace Black Vise in here as a hand hate card. It's a black vise for the whole table!

Also what are your thoughts on Blinkmoth Urn ?

Also... just remembered that Metalworker actually isn't banned in this format. Should probably be in here.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

benjameenbear

RowanKeltizar wrote:
2 years ago
Do you feel it's more important to run the recursion and etb effects and skip Torpor Orb and Grafdigger's Cage ? I notice that's one thing you changed with your decklist.

In terms of removal and card advantage I sort of decided to steer the deck toward the stax effects instead. I had a lot of these suggestions in here already but I found them to be pretty inconsistent and not really that synergistic with Atraxa herself. Generally, I would like to lean more on Atraxa's inherent strengths including her proliferate effect and less artifact "goodstuff"

I took out cards like Sharuum the Hegemon and Silas Renn, Seeker Adept just because I never wanted to be in the situation of having Grafdigger's Cage in play and these in my hand. I feel that Cage does more for me overall because it completely shuts down a lot of decks. I've really struggled to be relevant with this deck in my playgroup.

I also took out most of the ETBs including Noxious Gearhulk and Verdurous Gearhulk because I'm running Torpor Orb .

I had the capsules in here originally because they work pretty well with the artifact recursion, but took those out when the recursion came out.

I definitely want to steer away from some of the higher cmc spells like Magister Sphinx I just think in a stax list where I am running things like Winter Orb, Tangle Wire, etc... that will be problematic.

Sculpting Steel is already in the deck currently.

Armix, Filigree Thrasher is actually already in the list, I just forgot to add him to the OP. Good card!

I think I am leaning more toward a voltron strategy with Atraxa where I suit her up with equipment and protect her with the stax cards. There are a lot of equipment that give +1/+1 counters over time.

Fractal Harness I think could be an example of the direction I am trying to go. It just sits on the field and makes Atraxa more and more of a threat very quickly.
Having played Stax and played against it frequently, I can tell you that the worst weakness of any Stax strategy is not having a continual supply of cards or ways to leverage your advantages. The reason I added in more Card Advantage effects to that list is because you want to get as many layers of Stax as possible. The more layers you have, the tighter the prison becomes and the more time you'll get to swing with Atraxa. So while I appreciate your purity of intent with going all-in on Stax, I recommend that you do not neglect the Card Advantage/Draw element to your deck.

Sure, the card advantage pieces don't have synergy with Atraxa; neither do the Stax pieces (except Tangle Wire). Stax buys you time and proactively shuts off certain strategies or card interactions, which indirectly limits your opponent's Card Advantage capabilities. In that window where your opponents are trying to break out of your first layer of Stax, you NEED to be digging into either more Stax pieces so you can layer the prison OR you need to be using that time to increase your Card or Board advantage.

I personally wouldn't choose to exclude certain cards from your list simply because they have non-synergies with Stax pieces ie: cutting the Gearhulks because you're running Torpor Orb or cutting any recursion elements because you're playing Grafdigger's Cage. You only have a few tutor effects in the deck, so the chances that you'll naturally draw into these kinds of situations and have that non-beneficial interaction will be slim (unless you tutor for the Orb EVERY game). Yeah, it feels bad when it happens but that's the compromise you make by staying Artifact-only imo.

I say this next part kindly. Your deck, as a whole, is going to always be less consistent or powerful relative to the other decks you're playing against because of your determination to stay completely Artifact-based. I respect it, but I wouldn't worry too much about your deck being optimized or competing at a high level because you're purposefully cutting off the best advantages your colors offer. This isn't a condemnation of your deck's intent but more of an honest realization that if you want the deck to compete more effectively you're either going to need to tweak the deck or relax your standards so you can include some tutor effects at the minimum. It sounds like there are certain Stax pieces that are consistently back-breaking for your opponents, so why not find those particular cards every game? This means you want more tutors in the deck, but you're limited in tutors because of your Artifact restriction.

I can see why you would want to cut Sharuum and Silas Renn, based on your reasoning. The recursion in the deck is meant to be sand-bagged so that you can recur the Stax pieces that die. Cutting any recursion leaves your Stax plan as a one-dimensional strategy that your opponents can disrupt once they start banding together and targeting your Stax pieces (which WILL happen). Recursion is how you build resiliency for the archenemy strategy Stax is, and I think you'd be remiss in not including at least a few elements of recursion.

Yeah, I can see that cutting the high CMC cards as beneficial.

Going with a Voltron strategy in concert with Stax is a solid strategy and is the same exact strategy I employ with my own Kaalia list. The core concept of Kaalia Stax is to build your Prison and in the window of opportunity those Stax pieces create I deploy Kaalia and use her trigger to bypass the Stax and kill all the people. I've personally found that recursion for the Stax pieces isn't as necessary because Kaalia and her Horde can end the game so quickly. Atraxa simply can't, so you need more Card Advantage and recursion to make sure your deck stays relevant and powerful for as long as possible and fully exploit the window of opportunity Stax creates.
RowanKeltizar wrote:
2 years ago
Btw, perhaps Iron Maiden could replace Black Vise in here as a hand hate card. It's a black vise for the whole table!

Also what are your thoughts on Blinkmoth Urn ?

Also... just remembered that Metalworker actually isn't banned in this format. Should probably be in here.
If you want to ping people to death with Iron Maiden, I say go for it! You need ways to convert your Stax advantage into a win and the Maiden definitely does that by attacking people's life totals directly.

Yeah, Metalworker would be great in here!

Blinkmoth Urn can also be a powerful accelerant for the deck. My concern is, given your desire to keep the deck Artifact only and Stax/Voltron oriented, that you'll have the Urn, dump your hand with its mana, and then have nothing to do with the mana it will produce as you stay in top-deck mode.

As I mentioned above, a Stax deck needs some way to break the parity of its own Stax pieces so that it can leverage the time those Stax pieces create. Yisan can tutor creatures directly to play, generating Card Advantage that way. Brago flickers Card Advantage permanents, digging deeper into its deck that way. Grand Arbiter can play more Card Advantage effects BECAUSE its Commander is a Stax piece. Kaalia outrageously cheats mana costs for powerful cards with powerful effects regardless of what Stax pieces are in play. Atraxa doesn't create Card Advantage on her own, so that means you need to supplement your deck strategy in the 99 to support your core strategy since your Commander doesn't.

Welp, now that I feel like I've beaten that topic to death (I spared the horse!), I hope you found this useful!

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Welp, now that I feel like I've beaten that topic to death (I spared the horse!), I hope you found this useful!
This all makes a lot of sense, thanks for the rundown!

I think I will try to stay low cmc on my recursion effects and make sure they can become self sustaining engines once my stax pieces are in play. This is one reason I like cards like Armix, Filigree Thrasher in here.

I think Scrap Trawler and Silas Renn, Seeker Adept both fit the bill as being low curve recursion engines. Trawler actually gets around Graftdigger's Cage so I think that's an autoinclude at this point. I should see if there are other effects like that.

I think Arcbound Reclaimer is probably the best here as an engine. I also like Myr Retriever if I can find ways to abuse it. I know that it combos with Scrap Trawler and a sac outlet.

And yes, being able to sac my own stax pieces if absolutely needed plays into this package pretty well since I can hopefully bounce them back into play again as needed.

I just found another mostly one sided stax piece I will likely be running and that card is Storage Matrix, Pretty cool huh? The more cards I can find that take advantage of the fact I am running 100% artifacts the less regrets I will have about committing to that limitation.

As far as ETBs go, I think I will steer clear. I think I have enough card advantage and removal in here now and i am finding it difficult to see what to cut for the ETBs. I think I can get away with not having them. Don't forget that Chromatic Orrery is a ridiculous draw engine in here as is Bolas's Citadel and Mystic Forge.

The stax pieces kind of discourage me from wanting to have to cast a lot of spells to gain advantage. I think it makes sense to find engines that will repeatedly give me advantage from having them in place on the field. This is even more the case since I'm simply not drawing a ton of cards all the time.

Mycosynth Golem seems really amazing to me in tandem with Scrap Trawler and Smokestack or any other sac outlet for that matter. Basically, I'm saccing things to smokestack and just returning them to my hand. Adding more artifact creatures in general I think would be a good idea to support the Golem.

Please take a look at my new list in the OP. I switched around a bunch of cards and added the stuff we've been talking about.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

benjameenbear

I'm still skeptical that you have enough sources of Card Advantage, personally, but I like the mixture of Stax pieces you have. It truly seems like the best of the best, with maybe the exception of Norn's Annex. I've never played against the card or seen it played, so I have no experience with it.

Mycosynth Golem actually seems pretty solid here as a cost reducer and may become the most powerful one you play. Great inclusion!

Chromatic Orrery is just 1 card in your 99 and with only 2 tutor effects to go and find it, so I wouldn't be counting on it as a consistent source of card advantage. When you get it, sure it's quite powerful with Atraxa out. But if Atraxa dies? It probably draws just one card for 5, which isn't a good rate. I like the idea of finding engines for your deck as that plays into the strengths of Stax better. I just struggle to find any other good ones that are strictly Artifacts that don't have an activated ability or ETB ability.

I constantly forget that Storage Matrix is a card even though I know it's good. Good look again!

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Chromatic Orrery is just 1 card in your 99 and with only 2 tutor effects to go and find it, so I wouldn't be counting on it as a consistent source of card advantage. When you get it, sure it's quite powerful with Atraxa out. But if Atraxa dies? It probably draws just one card for 5, which isn't a good rate. I like the idea of finding engines for your deck as that plays into the strengths of Stax better. I just struggle to find any other good ones that are strictly Artifacts that don't have an activated ability or ETB ability.
You know I haven't actually gotten around to forking out for a Chromatic Orrery. I can see that you right about this not being consistent without Atraxa in play. And the cmc is definitely on the high end. Perhaps there are better options.

How about Well of Lost Dreams? Lifelink on Atraxa is pretty nice, but we still fall into the trap here of relying on her being in play. It's seems like a solid engine though.

Then there's always Sword of Fire and Ice. This has the advantage of being able to equip to any other creature and bonus points if that creature is Bronze Guardian

It's possible Torpor Orb could come out, or I can just take the risk of having it on the field. I do have a few sac outlets in that event. ETBs are such a prevalent thing in this format. 2 of my other decks are very dependent on them.

Geth's Grimoire is a pretty interesting card also. This has the potential to be an absolute bomb against the right decks, or do absolutely nothing since I'm not running any of my own discard effects.

We have $$$Memory Jar$$$ of course.

There's Carnage Altar and Phyrexian Vault . We don't have a ton of creatures we really want to sac and I tend to prefer Culling Dais because Atraxa can proliferate it.

Seer's Sundial might give us some incremental draw

Building more around Skullclamp might behoove me. More tokens means more fodder for Tangle Wire and Smokestack

We also have the potential to combo out with Sensei's Divining Top and either of the topdeck draw engines: Bolas's Citadel and Mystic Forge

So, I think I definitley have options, it's just what is the right number and which ones work best in the deck.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

This has been a very interesting and challenging deck to build. I'm finding that its also very expensive. A lot of the actually good artifacts cost an arm and a leg but I'm slowly putting it together.

@benjameenbear You are absolutely right about the card draw. Thankfully we got Esper Sentinel which is one of the best cards in the deck now.

I ordered both The Great Henge and Well of Lost Dreams recently. I think they will be strong includes.

Metalworker and Memory Jar are probably 2 of the best cards I could slot in. Haven't been able to afford them yet, but hopefully when work picks up I can get em.

I think it would be great to get a Sword of Fire and Ice since it is both card draw and interaction. But man that thing is stubbornly pricey!

The Immortal Sun is also a source of card advantage. I think this is a pretty good slot-in since it also shuts down walkers. Overall I like it a lot despite its cmc.

Because this deck doesn't actually have any real interaction, the stax effects are totally necessary. I did find a few cards I think might be good fits:

Caltrops this is more of a meta choice, but this absolutely hoses token decks and extra combat decks, of which there are a few in my playgroup. If I can copy it, then it becomes a lot better!!

Mana Web I think this card is probably better than Defense Grid in my meta as it also makes casting spells more difficult during your own turn. Rather than just taxing (which doesn't work well later in the game) it forces my opponents to either play during their own turns or hold up most of their mana for interaction.

I'm also looking at Mindlock Orb and Witchbane Orb as a bit of protection. Worth trying out at least, although 4cmc feels a bit heavy. Definitely good against certain decks in my playgroup.

Ankh of Mishra is also a perfect card for this deck. It's been playing very well!

Other stuff:

Darksteel Colossus is something I think probably needs to come in. I find myself needing another good wall. Atraxa herself draws a ton of hate, and without any built in evasion she dies pretty easily. Having another beatstick I think makes sense for the deck, especially when I get access to things like Blinkmoth Urn Krark-Clan Ironworks etc...

Urza's Saga has been great. It's one of the few tutors in the deck and being able to grab certain key 1 drops is super nice. It also just grab an artifact land if I need the color fixing.

Treasure Vault seems like a nice way to pump up Cranial Plating and Bronze Guardian as well as a mana sink for all my colorless mana.

Lotus Blossom seems like a good little ritual effect that I can accelerate with Atraxa. I can also recur it. Probably coming in. Having solid 2-drops feels good since my mana curve is definitely on the high side.

I think adding more lifegain to the deck would feel good. Shadowspear comes to mind as something that serves other functions as well at an efficient cost. Helps trigger Well of Lost Dreams also.

Wishclaw Talisman has been running great. Often it's easy enough just to give it to the person whos been missing land drops or the person I KNOW FOR A FACT isn't running mass artifact destruction. Somewhat risky for that reason, but the risk it worth it when I can grab any card I want. Often it is Darksteel Forge

There's definitely a few cards that haven't been pulling their weight.

Norn's Annex seems to be a waste of mana in many cases. I want to try it out a little longer, but often people are more than happy to pay the 2 life to swing into me with something big. It keeps the tokens away, but my life total still seems to dwindle fast when I drop some of the more impactful stax pieces. I'm wondering if something like Ensnaring Bridge would be ok here even though it also hurts me. I have a few sac outlets for my stax pieces, but I'm worried its going to lock me out of swinging in with my beatsticks.

Grafted Exoskeleton feels ineffective here. I already have Blightsteel, so this is sometimes just a dead card.

Fractal Harness I thought this would be good, but it suffers from the same issue was Exoskeleton.

Birthing Pod I haven't been able to get any mileage out of this. None of my creatures really want to be sacced, and the cmc requirement is too strict. I don't think its a good fit here.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

A few other cards I'd like to add in for consideration.

Wedding Ring If this card works how I think it works, it's going to be a perfect card for the deck. It simultaneously provides us much needed card advantage while acting like a bit of stax effect. I think the person you "marry" is going to be much less likely to go crazy with their own card draw knowing you also will be drawing the same number of cards.

Alhammarret's Archive while we don't have a ton of draw in the deck, just doubling up on what we do have might be good enough. This also has the benefit of doubling our lifegain from Atraxa herself. Not sure what I would swap it in for

Sphere of Annihilation - a creature board wipe that doesn't hit our non-creature artifacts. Overall I like this but not sure if it pulls its weight. I'm just worried about my opponents having a whole turn round to answer it or to play around it.

Aligned Hedron Network pretty unique effect for an artifact. I really like that we can get immediate impact from casting this at a pretty efficient cost. Sure, when it dies, our opponent's get everything back but it might be enough to delay them.

Planar Bridge while incredibly mana intensive, this is a pretty unique effect with obvious usefulness. We tend to make a ton of colorless mana in this deck, so maybe its usable.

The Celestus, Eye of Vecna - potentially decent card draw. Nothing too crazy but card draw is card draw.

What's on the chopping block?

Lithoform Engine - not sure this does enough here. The second ability will NEVER be used. The capacity to copy abilities is ok, especially Atraxa's proliferate ability but not sure that is impactful enough.

Nevinyrral's Disk - blowing up my own artifacts never seems like a good idea. It's usually creatures I'm worried about. So I think something like Ensnaring Bridge or Noetic Scales or Sphere of Annihilation would be a better choice.

Unwinding Clock - this was one of those "auto-includes" that's maybe not pulling its weight. It has no direct synergy with our commander and without something like Vedalken Orrery it's not exactly broken.

Pyramid of the Pantheon pretty cumbersome actually and I think another rock would be more efficient than this. It kind of relies on Atraxa to be decent and that's not always possible.

Tangle Wire, and Smokestack if I'm honest I struggle to really leverage these against my opponents. Tangle Wire is decent early game but later in the game it doesn't seem to have as much of an effect. Smokestack tends to be better lategame but more of a dead draw early game since i can't really afford to sacrifice things to it either.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Had a couple great games today with my playgroup. This deck is really getting close to be behaving how I want it to.

I had a Bronze Guardian swinging in for 12 on turn 4 which felt great. I also had enough draw to stay in the game when he inevitably got removed. I landed a Steel Hellkite equipped with Darksteel Plate which did some work before he got pathed a few turns later.

Interestingly, the same game i had Grafdigger's Cage, Damping Sphere and Torpor Orb in play against the Meren player (who has a very consistent and powerful combo list). He finally managed to break out of the prison by blowing up the artifacts using Caustic Caterpillar of all things. Drove home the importance of getting Darksteel Forge into play as soon as possible. Just never had an opportunity to grab it. Artifact hate really is my greatest and most obvious weakness and because I rely wholly on permanents, this can be devastating. Fortunately I do think I have the tools to recover if I can manage to get enough card advantage or recursion.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

benjameenbear

I think you've got the list in a decent spot. I'll still stand by my advice of including more card advantage in your list from colored artifacts as you've experienced the inherent weakness of Stax strategies in EDH (card advantage) firsthand and encourage you to take a look at the list of cards I'd previously suggested. It would have been good to have some recursion for your Grafdigger's Cage against the Meren player and I think you need more than just the Reclaimer and the Trawler.

I'll also agree with your cuts as well. Disk is a liability for your board state until you get Darksteel Forge for the combo. Perhaps you could consider Oblivion Stone? That will help you preserve a piece or two of your board before popping it off.

Wedding Ring is a decent card if you're playing against a deck that explicitly draws a ton of cards during their turn, so I definitely think that's a strong consideration for you.

I will say that you've got me considering an Atraxa Artifact-only mental list. If I were to take a similar constraint with building Atraxa (including ONLY Artifacts), then I'd probably build something like this:
benjameenbear's Atraxa list
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Check it out for some additional ideas for card draw, removal, and beatsticks that you maybe haven't considered! Nettlecyst, Mask of Griselbrand, Thought Monitor, Traxos, Scourge of Kroog, Tome of Legends and Pestilent Cauldron // Restorative Burst were ones that I thought you'd particularly enjoy.

Also, don't forget about the newly printed artifact land Bridge cycle to help fix your mana while also emphasizing your Artifact theme even more!

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
I think you've got the list in a decent spot. I'll still stand by my advice of including more card advantage in your list from colored artifacts as you've experienced the inherent weakness of Stax strategies in EDH (card advantage) firsthand and encourage you to take a look at the list of cards I'd previously suggested. It would have been good to have some recursion for your Grafdigger's Cage against the Meren player and I think you need more than just the Reclaimer and the Trawler.
Silas Renn, Seeker Adept might stay in just because I need the redundancy. I just don't like that he has to deal combat damage for the trigger. It would be great to have something like Glissa, the Traitor in here in artifact form. Her ability would be really fantastic for this deck.
benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
I'll also agree with your cuts as well. Disk is a liability for your board state until you get Darksteel Forge for the combo. Perhaps you could consider Oblivion Stone? That will help you preserve a piece or two of your board before popping it off.
Yeah, oblivion stone could be be ok, however it is very mana intensive. I do like the fact that I can crack it the turn it enters play unlike most of the other artifact based board wipes.

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Check it out for some additional ideas for card draw, removal, and beatsticks that you maybe haven't considered! Nettlecyst, Mask of Griselbrand, Thought Monitor, Traxos, Scourge of Kroog, Tome of Legends and Pestilent Cauldron // Restorative Burst were ones that I thought you'd particularly enjoy.
I like the capsules, but in terms of card advantage I'm not sure I can support them. They are fantastic in a Glissa, the Traitor deck where you have access to recursion all the time. I ran them for a while, but decided they just weren't having enough impact. Not to say I wouldn't give them another shot. Beggers can't be choosers. I wish they cantripped. Then I would run them without question. I've actually been using Nihil Spellbomb to great effect for that reason.

Sharuum the Hegemon I had her in here for a while, but ended up taking her out because of the cmc. I wasn't able to get more than one ETB from her. It's a great effect, and yes I already have the combo pieces. I think I may try Myr Retriever instead since it plays into my existing combo line. I'm also still trying to steer away from etbs because of Torpor Orb and because I don't feel like I have enough ways to get multiple triggers from the ETBs.

Nettlecyst and Traxos, Scourge of Kroog - Board wipes a real concern for me. There is a player in my group that puts like 10 board wipes into every deck he builds. It's kind of why I wanted to slot in Darksteel Colossus as a beater. At least he requires an exile effect to get rid of.

Tome of Legends Thought Monitor - Tome I could see running. I like it better than some of the others like Eye of Vecna. Thought Monitor is another card that I think just isn't doing enough without support which I've kind of learned I can't rely on because Atraxa only gives us the proliferate ability.

The signets. I wanted to play into atraxa's ability by running things like Lotus Blossom. I also think gettting access to ALL the colors is fairly important. I view the original signets as more of a color fixing tool, not so much ramp since they only give you an additional 1 mana. I think they would be fine for a more budget list, but I just don't think they doing enough for me here. I struggle to find room.

Lodestone Golem Sen Triplets neat cards, I will consider them for sure. I actually forgot about Sen Triplets.

Mask of Griselbrand - yeah, this might be pretty good. It does take some mana investment but it might work since it should be drawing me a ton of cards on Atraxa.
benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Also, don't forget about the newly printed artifact land Bridge cycle to help fix your mana while also emphasizing your Artifact theme even more!
Yeah, I honestly just forgot to put them into this decklist. I've been running all of them and they've been pretty good but it kind of makes me want to run Amulet of Vigor with so many taplands.

A few other cards I may want to try out:

Moonsilver Key. Having a tutor for Krark-Clan Ironworks seems good. Of course this can also grab The Great Henge or a regular mana rock. Not bad.

Psychogenic Probe - nice little gem. Kind of a similar vein to Ankh of Mishra which has been playing well. I think it could be great against a few decks in my playgroup. With this and the Ankh in play, someone would be taking 2+1+2+2+2= 9 dmg just for popping a fetchland into a shockland, lol!

Midnight Clock - kind of a budget Memory Jar. I do like that this actually taps for mana which I didn't notice the first time I saw the card. 12 counters is a lot, but hey a one sided Timetwister?

Jester's Cap - This might actually be an appropriate deck for this. My thinking is that removing the cards that are really going to screw me over, aka Collector Ouphe , Vandalblast, Hurkyl's Recall, Austere Command as well as potential combo pieces is not a bad plan.

Metallurgeon Welding Jar - not ideal cards but worth consideration. I feel like there's combo potential with Welding Jar. But then we go back to the card advantage thing. Wish there was some kind of mass effect Welding Jar.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

List is playing well. Metalworker and Memory Jar feel like cheating. I don't regret the investment. I was planning on getting a couple more reserve list cards to hold on to anyhow and these are great fits and were in fantastic condition at a reasonable price.

Stonecoil Serpent was certainly an oversight and I'm really glad it's in. There is a Korvold, Fae-Cursed King player in my group and Stonecoil is a perfect answer for that sort of strategy. Between Mycosynth Golem and proliferate he can get huge, not to mention if the Great Henge is out I can even cast him for zero to draw. Having trample is just icing. Great card.

I definitely still need more card advantage even though my paper list is at 9 draw spells. I think the self contained "engines" like Mind's Eye and Wedding Ring really are the best for the deck. I also like artifacts that can draw more than one card the turn cycle they come into play OR serve another funtion in the case of The Great Henge.

I'm wondering if Aetherworks Marvel would be any good. Generally, slower cards like this don't fair well in my playgroup, but proliferating energy counters sounds fun if nothing else.

Midnight Clock is on my mind as well. I like that it can tap for mana and that you can pay to add counters. Again, it's slow but I can't be too picky.

Sensei's Divining Top is worth considering for sure, however with so few tutors and no fetches I sadly can't shuffle cards I don't want. It does combo with Mystic Forge and Bolas's Citadel. I only have one copy and it's in my izzet deck but it's honestly more needed here.

Tome of Legends is probably fine, but im not sure it's doing enough to justify a spot. It's basically a Phyrexian Arena that I have to pay into. Not ideal imo.

The stax lineup could probably use some tweaking. There are few pieces that I don't feel are pulling their weight or aren't adequately doing their job in my playgroup. Generally speaking it's the aggro decks and the control decks I'm most vulnerable to. A recent game I had nearly every important card countered by ONE player. Made me wish I had a Defense Grid. Mana Web would have worked too since he plays a lot of spells on his own turn too.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

So we got some potential things to try out in this deck. Wasn't expecting so many artifacts from this set.

Shorikai, Genesis Engine Fairly efficient rate here and gets way better with Unwinding Clock Added bonus of turning into an 8/8 creature situationally. I like that it actually creates tokens that can pilot it (or die to skullclamp)

Covert Technician Could find a home here. I have a lot of ways to pump up her power.

The Reality Chip Redundancy to Mystic Forge is probably a good thing. It's a good effect for the deck. Does make me want to slot in my one and only copy of Sensei's Divining Top (cough cough reprint when?) Side note: this has to be the longest type text I've ever seen.

Research Thief possibly better in a vacuum that Bident of Thassa since it can actually trigger it's own draw ability. Evasion is good here and the fact that it's a creature plays into some of my other strategies.

Ironsoul Enforcer really decent recursion. I think i like this better than Arcbound Reclaimer since the artifact goes directly to the battlefield.

Imposter Mech Am I reading this card right? I can copy any creature my opponents control for just 1U? This seems incredibly busted on creatures with powerful static abilities. The closest thing I can think of to this is Phyrexian Metamorph

Lion Sash This is potentially a great little card for the deck. Acting as some graveyard hate but buffing up our creatures seems pretty good, especially with proliferate.

Mnemonic Sphere If I had more recursion engines this thing would be very appealing. I think it's very strong for a common and will definitely see some play in the format.

Reckoner Bankbuster Another little draw engine, although this seems to be in the same category as things like Tome of Legends and Eye of Vecna.

Mechtitan Core Fun card. Not sure I can justify running it but I do like the fact the other things you exile come back into play. Notably this can save some of my field in response to a board wipe.

Network Terminal not bad really. It's a high cost mana rock that draws a card.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Wow, what a set for artifacts. Big surprise for me, but I think there are quite a few cards to talk about.

New triomes will all go in of course. I will likely take out of the vivid lands for these. Cycling is a fairly decent upgrade in this slot.

Bootleggers' Stash lets get the big one out of the way first. Yeah, saying this is a good is an understatement. Insanely broken card. Obvioulsy going in as soon as I can get one.

Agent's Toolkit I'm really excited for this one. This is the card I didn't know I needed for the deck. The fact that Atraxa can proliferate all 4 types of counters on this is really really good. Getting 2 shield counters on atraxa the turn she enters the field is going to be VERY strong.

Mask of the Schemer yeah, this one is great. Buffs atraxa and card draw. Big effects for one card.

Halo Fountain I'll mention it, but I don't think this is the right deck for this one.

Unlicensed Hearse probably decent grave hate and works well with Unwinding Clock but what doesn't. I think I still prefer Lion Sash.

Evolving Door pretty interesting card. Not sure I have enough targets for this, but it's something I could build around. Birthing Pod is probably still the better pick.

Boxing Ring this one is really interesting. Again, not sure this deck is the right place for it, but I like it.

Scepter of Celebration worth a mention for sure. This thing make SO MANY TOKENS. skullclamp fodder or chump blockers. Solid pick but I don't see what I would cut for it.

Weathered Sentinels really solid card. Right up there with Stonecoil Serpent. You wouldn't go wrong throwing this one in.

Gavel of the Righteous I'd choose this over Fireshrieker but not sure I have room for it. Cards that only do one thing aren't that great for this deck. Lion Sash or Mask of the Schemer are better picks I think.

False Floor again very unique card design. probably worth a try, but I'm not sure it's really doing what we want it to be doing.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

The following are some changes I feel pretty confident about.

I'm constantly moving cards in and out of the deck to see what happens. There are a lot of cards I really wanted to make work, but in actuality were hurting me more than helping, or just weren't doing what I wanted them to do, or there are just superior options available.

The deck is still in this grey area of not feeling quite settled yet. It's just lacking that sense of cohesion and consistency I've come to expect from my decks, although it's getting better.

I really really want to make Smokestack and Tangle Wire work. They play so well into Atraxa's abilities. The problem I have is that I don't have consistent enough token generation to break symmetry on them. There are only so many good artifact token makers. I'm still testing Bootleggers' Stash but haven't been as impressed with it as I initially was. Unwinding Clock is still in the deck too and plays well with tangle wire of course. The problem with both of these cards is that they don't affect the player who is ahead nearly as much as I would want. They will usually have extra permanents to sac or tap down. It generally hurts the players who are already behind the most.

CHANGELOG

Grafdigger's Cage ==> Lion Sash - there were too many times Grafdigger's Cage was a nonbo with Bolas's Citadel . Also, i much prefer straight up exiling problematic cards rather than just putting a temporary band-aid on the problem. Lion Sash performed very well for me a few games and even got 26 counters on it one game.

Storage Matrix ==> Oblivion Stone - I badly needed at least one board reset and Stone is one of the few that I can activate the turn it comes into play. Matrix all too often wasn't slowing people down enough. I may give it another shot but it only really seems to affect the aggro players but not when you NEED it to. They will leave their lands tapped and just swing out at you to get rid of the stax piece via KO.

Iron Maiden ==> Executioner's Capsule - usually this winds up being worth the card slot to take out something nasty. It also acts as a rattlesnake. Iron Maiden did some work, but all too often it just didn't do enough damage to be worth it, but just enough to piss people off.

Trinisphere ==> Sensei's Divining Top - so trinisphere wound up hurting more than helping me with the artifact cost reducers and bolas's citidel. Top on the other hand I think is a much needed draw engine. Combined with Citidel I can draw quite a few cards indeed ;)

Smokestack ==> Agent's Toolkit - as much as I wanted the old school stax pieces to work here, they just aren't doing what I want them to. They tend to draw aggro and end up hurting me just as much as everyone else. Toolkit I think is a great little card for the deck.

Arcbound Reclaimer ==> Ironsoul Enforcer - I find that getting permanents directly on the battlefield is MUCH stronger and I can accomplish this the turn Enforcer hits the field which is quite nice.

Well of Lost Dreams ==> Midnight Clock - Midnight Clock has performed very well for me and doesn't eat removal as much as I thought it would. Without a lot of lifegain other than Atraxa herself, well of lost dreams was underperforming.

Tendo Ice Bridge Aether Hub, Murmuring Bosk ==> Spara's Headquarters Raffine's Tower Forbidden Orchard - land optimizations. I've decided the single storage counter lands just aren't usually worth it since I wind up using the only charge counter to cast atraxa, so I can't proliferate them.

Darksteel Colossus ==> Time Sieve - I found that darksteel was just redundant next to Blightsteel. Atraxa tends to be a pretty nasty beatstick all on her own. So Time Sieve ended up being a card I didn't know I needed for the deck. It has really hit that sweet spot of buying me extra time to set up my field or swing in for lethal damage.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

Discovered this thread because of Pokken's deck criticism thread, and while I'm not in the slightest qualified to make suggestions on it, I just had to point out that it gets two thumbs up from me for only using permanents. I'm a huge fan of all permanents decklists, and I'm doubly a fan of decks that only use the particular card type(s) that the commander cares about.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

@BaronCappuccino Thanks! Yeah, this deck has been a learning curve for sure but very fun to play. Going all in with artifacts feels great with cards like Metalworker and Bronze Guardian where you are getting the best possible mileage from them. Cranial Plating is a huge threat in here too because of the artifact density. (i mean, duh... but my point is that it's unique to get that much mileage from them in an edh deck)

I just discovered I can get infinite turns with Bootleggers' Stash and Time Sieve which is neat I guess.

Debating on picking up a borderless Vedalken Orrery atm.

As per @pokken's astute suggestion I think Lodestone Golem will be going in for Mana Web, especially if I'm running Orrey. I don't like nonbos.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic