Braids' Nightmares

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 8 months ago

Braids' Nightmares

This is my second attempt at Mono Black Control. For the longest time Gonti, Lord of Luxury was one of my signature commanders. While Gonti is a fun commander, who created memorable games (like the time I stole two of my opponents' Torment of Hailfires and played three in consecutive turns - what a game!), my meta shifted. In most games he was just to slow to have any impact. The deck didn't perform like before.

Then Braids arose. She was one of the few memorable characters from the Onslaught storyline, so I knew her quite a bit. She offered a new spin on Mono Black Control without pushing the deck in a certain dircetion.
The deck focusses on casting her turn 2 or 3 and activating her the same turn, typically drawing me three cards. I play several cards that provide resources to be sacrificed for every turn, to hopefully draw into mana accelerants, removal, and my win conditions.
Atm I'm quite happy with the result.

Decklist

//Commander

//Sac outlet

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by cheonice 4 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 4 months ago

Small changes.
  • While being a weirdly funny card, Chime of Night always felt a bit clunky. Often I just killed a random creature with it. With the reprint of Bloodghast the ever-rising vampire gets a chance to shine. A nearly free sac-fodder sounds just great for Braids.
  • I was looking for cards that let me cast Braids on turn 2, when I stumpled upon Jeweled Amulet. With a mere Euro this could be a slam dunk! Solemn Simulacrum on the other hand feels way to expensive nowadays. Even if it's sad to see the robot leave the deck.
  • High Market is needed elsewhere and isn't really necessary here. For now, I'll add another Swamp.
Cuts and Additions
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by cheonice 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 months ago

Jeweled Amulet is fantastic for slamming your 3mv commander on turn 2 and the fact that it sticks around for sac fodder seems amazing. A+.

Do you think you'd want to run more cards like Ichor Wellspring and Mephitic Draught? Those kinds of cards were all-stars in my Daretti, Scrap Savant list that similarly wanted to plop out sac fodder, and they represent 3 for 1s each with your commander. They're even solid without Braids. cycling and staying in play until she can return.

Your ramp package looks kind of awkward, and I've been struggling with this in the new mono-black deck I've been brewing. 2mv rocks aren't great because they don't ramp you into your commander or specific 4mv bombs, but you still need stuff to do in the early game. More board set up in the early game and bigger rocks for the late game when you can vomit out your full hand because of Braids seems a little more balanced.

I like the reanimation package. The one time I played against Braids the player kept discarding to handsize but never utilized the graveyard. I'd personally cut Beacon for Young Necromancer just to have some more permanents to sac.

Are Chittering Witch and Sengir Autocrat worth it?

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
Jeweled Amulet is fantastic for slamming your 3mv commander on turn 2 and the fact that it sticks around for sac fodder seems amazing. A+.

Do you think you'd want to run more cards like Ichor Wellspring and Mephitic Draught? Those kinds of cards were all-stars in my Daretti, Scrap Savant list that similarly wanted to plop out sac fodder, and they represent 3 for 1s each with your commander. They're even solid without Braids. cycling and staying in play until she can return.

Your ramp package looks kind of awkward, and I've been struggling with this in the new mono-black deck I've been brewing. 2mv rocks aren't great because they don't ramp you into your commander or specific 4mv bombs, but you still need stuff to do in the early game. More board set up in the early game and bigger rocks for the late game when you can vomit out your full hand because of Braids seems a little more balanced.

I like the reanimation package. The one time I played against Braids the player kept discarding to handsize but never utilized the graveyard. I'd personally cut Beacon for Young Necromancer just to have some more permanents to sac.

Are Chittering Witch and Sengir Autocrat worth it?
Yeah, there is some baggage left from Gonti, Lord of Luxury. I'm about to disassemble my Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim deck, which contains some of my black staples. Braids needs a bit more focus and love. Stuff like Phyrexian Arena or Liliana of the Dark Realms don't fit the deck well.

Mind Stone and Everflowing Chalice are kinda weird with Braids. They are good cards but don't support a turn 3 Braids or lategame stuff. You're probalby right here. Any suggestions? Maybe Thran Dynamo can shine here.

I'm not sure about Ichor Wellspring and Mephitic Draught. I know how good these cards can be. I played Daretti for years and now have a Jan Jansen, Chaos Crafter deck. But on the other hand I try not to overlap too many cards between my decks. If Braids doesn't get an explosive start, the early game can feel quite awkward. Maybe they can add in more velocity.

Chittering Witch could be worth it! Sac outlet, token generator and removal in one neat package. Sengir Autocrat is probably better in aristocrat strategies. Do you have any experience with Young Necromancer? Lil' Lilli feels kinda expensive.

Thanks for your suggestions!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

cheonice wrote:
4 months ago
Any suggestions? Maybe Thran Dynamo can shine here.
This was the route I took. Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, Sceptre of Eternal Glory (booooo), and Throne of Eldraine were the cards I started playing. They allow you to vomit out all the cards you just drew to really take advantage of Braids and her draw capabilities. The flip side of this is that you lose some early game plays, especially artifacts to sacrifice, that allow you to develop your mana to start playing all the cards Braids is drawing you. Of course, what else are you sacrificing on turn 3?
I'm not sure about Ichor Wellspring and Mephitic Draught. I know how good these cards can be. I played Daretti for years and now have a Jan Jansen, Chaos Crafter deck. But on the other hand I try not to overlap too many cards between my decks. If Braids doesn't get an explosive start, the early game can feel quite awkward. Maybe they can add in more velocity.
Wait, you went from Daretti to Jan, too? Fantastic.

Yeah, they're sort of omnipresent in sac decks, but they're just so dang good. If you convert to a late game ramp package, adding in more of these will smooth out your early game by being low mv drops that set you up down the line. If you're mostly abandoning early game ramp (I would keep Jet Medallion obviously, that card is nutty when you have mana and a full grip), I would also some more early game stuff like Night's Whisper, Stitcher's Supplier, Undead Butler, and possibly even something bad like Ransack the Lab. In general, since Braids is going to be drawing a ton of cards as early as turn 3 without Jeweled Amulet or Sol Ring, I would focus on permanents 2mv or less to start the card draw train.
Do you have any experience with Young Necromancer? Lil' Lilli feels kinda expensive.
I've used her in budget lists or lists that wanted a lot of recursion and permanents, and she does work. I mostly suggested her because you're already running Phyrexian Delver, a card I think is worse. It's not bad by any means, I really like the card in grindy mono-black or black-centric builds, but if you had to choose I would go with Lili. I like both, but you might be right that 5mv is too high for the effect.

Speaking of mana values and things I'm not a fan of, I don't like Grave Titan or Finale of Eternity here. Titan is a mere beater in a format where those cards lose a lot of value, and Finale, while strong, is very expensive while not being a permanent. I think Blood Artist is ineffective as a one of without other aristocrat staples, too.

Also, I think you should run more lands, especially if you're running less ramp. Your curve is a bit high even if you ignore the top end cards you're mostly going to reanimate, and with drawing so many cards I would think it's important to really hit those land drops. I hate telling people to constantly "play more lands and lower your curve" but I've been doing it more and more lately and my decks have been humming like well-oiled machines.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Sounds good. I'll give your suggestions a try: More lategame ramp, more early game cards like card draw, sac fodder, and self mill, more lands. 37-38 lands is my go-to, How many do you suggest?

Still not sure about Lil' Lilli, but I'll add her to my watch list.

Grave Titan is more of a nostalgic inclusion, for the moment it stays. Finale of Eternity on the other hand underperformed several times, so it's an easy cut. I'm not too sure about Blood Artist et al. Braids is no Aristocrats deck, but it offers some additional damage. It and the other option are probably not worth it, though.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
Wait, you went from Daretti to Jan, too? Fantastic.
Yes! With brief intermezzos by Saheeli, the Gifted, Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain, and Osgir, the Reconstructor. I am looking for a Daretti replacement for quite some time... Do you mind to share your Jan Jansen decklist?

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 4 months ago

I've been running a Braids, Arisen Nightmare deck lately myself . My deck is a bit different, I'll see if I can get some time to add it here soon.

One thing I've liked are the non-creature permanent based ETB removal cards like Oath of Liliana, since opponents typically can't, or do not want to, sacrifice enchantments and artifacts.

Bitterthorn, Nissa's Animus has been pretty useful as well. It ramps you/gives you land to sacrifice to Braids, and if it is not currently useful it is two permanents you can sacrifice (germ token and itself).

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

cheonice wrote:
4 months ago
37-38 lands is my go-to, How many do you suggest?
I think 39 is sufficient. Obviously, the first three land drops are required to cast Braids on curve, and 39 means you'll have drawn an average of 4 lands by turn 3, or an 84% chance of having 3 or more lands. Braids plus fodder on turns 1 or 2 means you'll be drawing a good amount of cards very quickly, and hitting those land drops is a great way to ensure you can cast all those spells you just drew.

I don't want to step on your toes, but would you be offended if I drafted a list?
Yes! With brief intermezzos by Saheeli, the Gifted, Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain, and Osgir, the Reconstructor. I am looking for a Daretti replacement for quite some time... Do you mind to share your Jan Jansen decklist?
Of course!

Jan Jansen and the Magic Murder Machine

I only played it a handful of times and it's a lot of fun.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 4 months ago

Another Braids enthusiast chiming in!

First of all, how is Bloodchief Ascension for you? I wanted to try it but it doesn't trigger if you didn't deal damage before the end step and I think it's a little clunky with Braids' trigger.

A few suggestions that have worked great for me:
Hopeless Nightmare as an enchantment makes for an easy trigger while.
Treacherous Blessing is almost perfect for this deck, even if you don't have Braids on end step the downside isn't that steep.
Not Dead After All is protection for Braids and another expandable enchantment.
For finishers I lean heavily in aristocrats, whittling down the whole table. That's why I run Drivnod, Carnage Dominus to double all the deathrattles.

Ruiner

gsgfdf wrote:
4 months ago

First of all, how is Bloodchief Ascension for you? I wanted to try it but it doesn't trigger if you didn't deal damage before the end step and I think it's a little clunky with Braids' trigger.
Bloodchief Ascension is fantastic for Braids. Her trigger doesn't trigger it, but once you have the appropriate amount of quest counters it does its usual silly things and Braids does potentially help at that point.

Also, if for some reason you think it's "useless" in the current game state (maybe you drew it late), with Braids out you can just sacrifice it to her. It is essentially a "draw 3 for 1 black mana", since opponents rarely have enchantments to spare.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Ruiner wrote:
4 months ago
I've been running a Braids, Arisen Nightmare deck lately myself . My deck is a bit different, I'll see if I can get some time to add it here soon.

One thing I've liked are the non-creature permanent based ETB removal cards like Oath of Liliana, since opponents typically can't, or do not want to, sacrifice enchantments and artifacts.

Bitterthorn, Nissa's Animus has been pretty useful as well. It ramps you/gives you land to sacrifice to Braids, and if it is not currently useful it is two permanents you can sacrifice (germ token and itself).
Thanks for your input! I'm looking forward to see your approach!
Yeah, the non-creature permanents look great. I'm not to sure about the ones with mana value 3. Oath of Liliana (or Treacherous Blessing that @gsgfdf suggested) can't be played on turn 2, which makes it a bit awkward. The new Tithing Blade // Consuming Sepulcher looks great, though!
Bitterthorn, Nissa's Animus could be a nice addition, too, I will look for a copy to test it.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
cheonice wrote:
4 months ago
37-38 lands is my go-to, How many do you suggest?
I think 39 is sufficient. Obviously, the first three land drops are required to cast Braids on curve, and 39 means you'll have drawn an average of 4 lands by turn 3, or an 84% chance of having 3 or more lands. Braids plus fodder on turns 1 or 2 means you'll be drawing a good amount of cards very quickly, and hitting those land drops is a great way to ensure you can cast all those spells you just drew.

I don't want to step on your toes, but would you be offended if I drafted a list?
Of course!

Jan Jansen and the Magic Murder Machine

I only played it a handful of times and it's a lot of fun.
Oh, sure! I'm eager to see, what you brew! Braids has enough nightmares for everyone! :omg:

39 lands sounds reasonable. I'll find some space for them. Thank you.

Your Jan Jansen deck looks fun! I had the first game with mine yesterday and what can I say? Academy Manufactor is a stupid card. Jan hummed like a well-oiled machine.
gsgfdf wrote:
4 months ago

A few suggestions that have worked great for me:
Hopeless Nightmare as an enchantment makes for an easy trigger while.
Treacherous Blessing is almost perfect for this deck, even if you don't have Braids on end step the downside isn't that steep.
Not Dead After All is protection for Braids and another expandable enchantment.
For finishers I lean heavily in aristocrats, whittling down the whole table. That's why I run Drivnod, Carnage Dominus to double all the deathrattles.
Bloodchief Ascension has been ok for me. I'm mostly running it, because I never found a place for my foil version. For me it's loaded with a lot of nostalgia. But nontheless it does some work. @Ruiner is right: Worst case it's a cantrip or better. And it's a removal magnet in my playgroup everybody fears the
Hopeless Nightmare looks underwhelming, even if the discard is nice. Not sure, if I like it.
Not Dead After All on the other hand looks fantastic! I like those cheap protection spells.
I'm not big into Aristocrats with this deck, so the Dominus is probably not good enough. I'll keep her in mind, though.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
I forgot to mention Fallen Ideal as both a sac outlet and a recurring enchantment to sac. All the sacrifices!
Oh, that's nice! Some of the cmc3 options are probably worth considering.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Here's a quick draft I put together:

Braids, Arisen Nightmare
Approximate Total Cost:

I tried to jam in a lot of early plays so that a turn 3 Braids is as profitable as possible. Even jank like Haunt of the Dead Marshes becomes playable when you can recur it and do a bunch of dumb stuff with it.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Thank you so much! That's a great inspiration.
Any reason you skipped Sol Ring ?
Nyx Lotus [/card] could be another lategame ramp. But it looks like it only works, if we are allready ahead.

I'm working on a new decklist I hope to post this week.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
cheonice wrote:
4 months ago
Any reason you skipped Sol Ring ?
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
:grin:

This is the decklist I came up with. I focussed more on late game ramp and added a few more synergy pieces.

Decklist

//Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

I'm not to sure about Erebos, Bleak-Hearted, Syr Konrad, the Grim, and Living Death, though. Any comments on the decklist are greatly appreciated.

There are a few cards, I want to have a closer look at.
Hope, to playtest the new version soon! Thank you so much for your input!
Last edited by cheonice 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

What do you think of Ugin's Nexus ? Should be extra turn + draw for 5, right?

Ruiner

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
That's not a bad suggestion at all. I might give that a shot in my own list.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 4 months ago

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
This is a great suggestion, I will try it as well!

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
I had some success with it in Daretti back in the days. It sometimes felt a bit clunky, though. On the other hand MBC is probably a great place formit with all the mana we usually generate. And with the tagged on card draw this just sounds gross. Love it.

MrBloo

Post by MrBloo » 4 months ago

Any reason why I'm not seeing Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia? Based on how I understand the card, you should be able to stack the beginning of end step triggers so that he makes the zombie for you to sacrifice to Braids. Seems great to curve into Braids too.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

MrBloo wrote:
4 months ago
Any reason why I'm not seeing Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia? Based on how I understand the card, you should be able to stack the beginning of end step triggers so that he makes the zombie for you to sacrifice to Braids. Seems great to curve into Braids too.
Yep, this should work as intended. Dreadhorde Invasion would be the cut here. Thanks for the suggestion!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

How do we feel about Burglar Rat, Elderfang Disciple, Nezumi Informant, and maybe Elvish Doomsayer or Virus Beetle? It wouldn't be mono-black without discard, and these give us some more early game fodder to maximize on a turn 3 Braids.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
How do we feel about Burglar Rat, Elderfang Disciple, Nezumi Informant, and maybe Elvish Doomsayer or Virus Beetle? It wouldn't be mono-black without discard, and these give us some more early game fodder to maximize on a turn 3 Braids.
Neat idea. Hopeless Nightmare is another option. If you want to go deeper, there are a few options that let everybody discard: Miasmic Mummy, Rotting Rats. Looping the discard creatures with someting like Phyrexian Reclamation is also an option. Could be strong?

What I really like about Braids is that she can be pushed in several directions. She does not ask much from the deck but a few low-mana cards to sac.

I'm still brewing on an updated list that I hope to post this weekend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”