Kenrith Birthing Pod

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Hey all, me again. I'm trying to branch out into some creature based decks as the majority of my decks are combo-centric and have few if any creature's besides hate-bears and a mana dork selection. I still have combo lines in here but I don't know how scattered my creature selection should be. The main idea is to revolve around Birthing Pod and win once it hits the board. Please drop any suggestions! I will gladly take any and all help.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by UnNamed1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

UnNamed1

Outcryqq wrote:
3 years ago
Fiend Artisan might be worth an include too. Intruder Alarm might help you combo considering you're already using Prime Speaker Vannifar and if you include Fiend Artisan.
I like Fiend Artisan. What would you cut for it?

Intruder Alarm I thought about, but I have enough untap lines in the deck already, that I'm not sure its needed. Like I said, the plan is to win once Pod or Vannifar hit the battlefield, using different lines depending on what is on the battlefield. Pretty much any of my lines provide options to untap up to a cmc of 6. I think intruder alarm just becomes a win more card, vs something needed for the win.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 3 years ago

For Fiend Artisan I'd probably cut either Carpet of Flowers (good card but inconsistent) or Drown in the Loch (not always a hit in commander depending on your opponent). I'd probably choose Swan Song over drown anyway. I'd probably also replace Mortify for Anguished Unmaking.

UnNamed1

Outcryqq wrote:
3 years ago
For Fiend Artisan I'd probably cut either Carpet of Flowers (good card but inconsistent) or Drown in the Loch (not always a hit in commander depending on your opponent). I'd probably choose Swan Song over drown anyway. I'd probably also replace Mortify for Anguished Unmaking.
There is a lot of fetching and blue players in my meta, so I think Carpet should stay (only time it doesn't fit is in lower power games). Drown I am currently testing, and this is the only deck it fits in. I've fallen out of favor with Swan Song (though I still very much use it), as it doesn't hit artifacts or creatures. Still a very good spell, but I'm not running many counters in general. Mortify will eventually become Anguished, I just haven't gotten a copy yet. Don't have any WB decks currently so hasn't been big on the list.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Another decent list that is certainly high-powered.

If you're operating with the OP as your in-paper list, then there isn't much I'd recommend.

However, Dryad of the Ilysian Grove stands out as an odd inclusion. Your land count is low to maximize its text although the color-fixing is sweet. If you fix your landbase, I think you could safely cut it.

Your CMC cutoff is 6. Have you considered any 7 drops to lengthen out Pod chains? Or is that too far for what you want to do with the deck?

UnNamed1

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
Another decent list that is certainly high-powered.

If you're operating with the OP as your in-paper list, then there isn't much I'd recommend.

However, Dryad of the Ilysian Grove stands out as an odd inclusion. Your land count is low to maximize its text although the color-fixing is sweet. If you fix your landbase, I think you could safely cut it.

Your CMC cutoff is 6. Have you considered any 7 drops to lengthen out Pod chains? Or is that too far for what you want to do with the deck?
Every deck I have is an in paper deck, I do proxy some stuff but I always have at least a copy before proxying. I'm glad you think its decent, I have worked hard to improve my deck building, and this is certainly a branch out from my usual builds.

I agree that Dryad is odd, was in the rough draft as a mana fixer because 5 color can be hard.

I did want to go longer into pod chains, however, did not find any 7 drops that I really liked, especially since I can win on a 5 drop. 7 CMC is a LOT of mana (considering I typically play under 2 avg cmc) and I would really not want something like that in my hand most of the time. Agent of Treachery is a good 7 drop IMO but I don't have any way to bounce/copy it enough to make good use of it. Can you recommend anything?

UnNamed1

Another update:

After finally being able to sit down at some tables, this deck is currently sitting at a healthy 5-0 streak. Consistently ramping and getting the pieces I need out early, turning into typical turn 4/5 wins. 1 game went long but birthing pod and the overall selection of creatures is very easy to stay ahead with. No changes at this time, we will see if Core 21 brings anything to the table.

The biggest flaw I have found is cards ending up in your hand that you want in the deck. can make for some awkward Pod combo's but has worked so far. Worth keeping an I on, seeing if i need a way to return things to my deck.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Riverwise Augur could be an option for you if you need to put things back in your deck that has synergy with the strategy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”