Trynn & Silvar - Old Face Only "Pariah Control"

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

What's up, 3drinks™ here with another Mardu brew. I was a fan of Ruthless Regiment, though outside of dread return builds with Jirina Kudro, there really wasn't a lot of inspired directions to take the deck. So I'm changing that. Now, is anyone else out there like me that's suffering from new set fatigue? It's exhausting keeping up with WotC's newest power creep, and for what reason, so we can spend more $ on a non-sanctioned format where you play for $0? Baah.

So I set out to both feed my nostalgia, and brew a deck that doesn't have to change. And I went through a few hypothesis renditions - I tried rebel yell, I tried soldiers, clerics, and just human, but I didn't have enough payoffs to make it really stand out. Then I decided I'd just do a "goodstuff" deck as a greatest hits compilation. But I disliked the lack of overall synergy. Then I read Silvar again, whom this deck is secretly built around but with Trynn adding a colour and some backup and that's when it hit me - banding was the key ability! For the two of you reading that know what Banding is, you're nodding your head right? For those that don't, let me clue you in; banding is an old mechanic that lets you blatantly cheat at combat, in a nutshell. If you give Silvar Banding, he and another creature can now attack with impunity, block with impunity and, as I discovered soon after, he was a damage sponge. And what can we do with that? Hmm, if only there was a way we could shift all the damage we take onto a creature and become a veritable lich, unnaturally extending our own life in a way that keeps us omnipresent with everyone else at the table...

Oh wait, that does exist. Enter Pariah.

Pariah Control
Approximate Total Cost:

Deckstats (so you can audit my choices if you were so inclined to verify I have stuck to old face cards only): http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trynn-si ... h-control/
Last edited by 3drinks 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

It's funny, I started this as both a statement against rampant power creep, nostalgia, and as a regular disdain for foils. As I begin to price check some parts, I'm reminded of the old foiling and the general infrequent treatment of them but also the beauty of the work then. They're super expensive, but maybe some - goblin bombardment, living death, aura of silence - maybe they're worth picking up anyway as a vanity project, since this is a largely unchanging list due to it's nature.

Gosh I'm such a sucker for the nostalgia.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Hmm. Well since I went and made a one time exception towards my magic no buy for this, as something that doesn't change really, I guess the only thing left is to start organizing a write up. After the cards are all in front of me.

Stay tuned.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Oh hai thar.
large images
Show
Hide
I think I'm gonna commission the five ONS fetches in old frame with their secret lair art next.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”