Help w/ my Tuvasa pillow-fort deck

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 3 years ago

Hi folks!

I've had a Sigarda voltron/pillow-fort deck for a while, but I've been wanting to migrate that to Tuvasa for a while. My problem now, though, is what to cut to make room for all the goodies! So here I am, asking for some advice on cuts, and inclusions among my list of cards that I'm considering. I'll have the current decklist below, and after that the cards I'm looking to add. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Possible adds:

Tags:

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Wheel of Sun and Moon is kind of eh as far as grave hate goes.

You don't have the creature density for Aura Shards.

Removal should come function first, form distant second. I'd shave the various Oblivion Ring variants, apart from Grasp of Fate, that one's pretty dece.

Gift of Paradise is woefully inefficient and you're not an Estrid trying to maximise aura'd land count.

There's only so far indestructibility can take you. Shielded by Faith feels negotiable.

Given the sheer enchantress girth you can muster, Abundance seems winmore.

Overwhelming Splendor is crazy expensive, and also I hate it as the unthinking man's Humility so that's reason enough for you to cut it, no? :P

There's plenty of other pillow fort stuff you're missing in your maybe pile like Collective Restraint. You seem to be quite board-sparse on the whole, which is something you should consider before people sniff this out and pile into you before you put your shields up.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I would at the minimum split up auras and enchantments. It's very tough to read as is.

Here's my thing about Tuvasa:

She gets huge on her own without auras. Auras expose you to losing multiple sometimes clutch cards at once. I do not like any auras except possibly Ethereal Armor and Rancor with Tuvasa, and I could skip Ethereal armor. Spirit Loop is not horrendous. Gift of Immortality is justifiable as it doesn't chew mana and protects her fairly well. Umbras are OK until you get edicted or mass exiled or mass bounced :P

I would jam hard on fort cards, and then cards that protect her from sweepers without needing to be enchanting her:

Two cards I love for protection from sweepers -
I also love Sun Titan in Tuvasa.

Generally speaking I also really like instant speed enchantments and Leyline of Anticipation . Cast Out for example is great and Stasis Snare was always exceptional for me.

I played a few more auras at the time I built the deck last but I would cut most of them (no Vanishing for sure, too mana intensive). But here's my old build you might like some ideas from:

https://deckbox.org/sets/2196760

Shimmering Wings is a neat piece of tech that can be UU draw a card and also an evasion enabler you can bounce to protect it.

cards like Finest Hour let you kill two people a turn once she gets enormous, and keep working even if she gets killed and loses all her auras.

yeti1069

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Wheel of Sun and Moon is kind of eh as far as grave hate goes.

You don't have the creature density for Aura Shards.

Removal should come function first, form distant second. I'd shave the various Oblivion Ring variants, apart from Grasp of Fate, that one's pretty dece.

Gift of Paradise is woefully inefficient and you're not an Estrid trying to maximise aura'd land count.

There's only so far indestructibility can take you. Shielded by Faith feels negotiable.

Given the sheer enchantress girth you can muster, Abundance seems winmore.

Overwhelming Splendor is crazy expensive, and also I hate it as the unthinking man's Humility so that's reason enough for you to cut it, no? :P

There's plenty of other pillow fort stuff you're missing in your maybe pile like Collective Restraint. You seem to be quite board-sparse on the whole, which is something you should consider before people sniff this out and pile into you before you put your shields up.
I've found Wheel to be very flexible. Sure, it won't solve graveyard issues for the whole table, but there's often one deck that is using their grave a lot, or has a lot of "goes to graveyard" effects, and this hoses them--things like Grave Pact turn off, as do tons of other death triggers. It can be used on the player who looks like they're trying for a Lab Man win sometimes, and it can also protect me from being milled out. For 2 mana, I've found it to be very effective. Plus, it doesn't stop me from using Replenish or Hall of Heliod. Ground Seal is okay, but it does nothing to stop mass reanimation, nor flashback. Rest in Peace is probably the best next consideration, but it turns off my graveyard as well, which I don't necessarily want.

That should have been Aura of Silence, not Shards.

The O-Ring effects could maybe be better suited as instant/sorcery-based removal, but I've always liked that they are flexible answers (there aren't many things that can hit any non-land permanent), and can be recycled from the yard. That said, they can definitely be problematic. In the past, my experience with them has been good overall, especially once I get some Shrouded or Hexproof action from my enchantments going. This will be a consideration I'll pay attention to, though.

You're probably right about Gift, and Abundance. What I like about Abundance is that early game it ensures I'm getting land if I'm hurting for it, while late game it ensures I'm drawing gas when I don't need mana. It also combos with Library to draw 3 cards without having to pay any life. It also is anti-mill protection. All that said, Abundance is on the chopping block. I've had smoother draws so far than I did when this was a Sigarda enchantress deck, thanks to having access to an enchantress from the command zone.

Shielded By Faith has typically been solid, but could come out. My group runs a LOT of board wipes, so being able to protect an enchantress is valuable.

Splendor is just stupid good, and wins games.

Collective Restraint is a good call. I'll have to look at fitting that in.

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I would at the minimum split up auras and enchantments. It's very tough to read as is.

Here's my thing about Tuvasa:

She gets huge on her own without auras. Auras expose you to losing multiple sometimes clutch cards at once. I do not like any auras except possibly Ethereal Armor and Rancor with Tuvasa, and I could skip Ethereal armor. Spirit Loop is not horrendous. Gift of Immortality is justifiable as it doesn't chew mana and protects her fairly well. Umbras are OK until you get edicted or mass exiled or mass bounced :P

I would jam hard on fort cards, and then cards that protect her from sweepers without needing to be enchanting her:

Two cards I love for protection from sweepers -
I also love Sun Titan in Tuvasa.

Generally speaking I also really like instant speed enchantments and Leyline of Anticipation . Cast Out for example is great and Stasis Snare was always exceptional for me.

I played a few more auras at the time I built the deck last but I would cut most of them (no Vanishing for sure, too mana intensive). But here's my old build you might like some ideas from:

https://deckbox.org/sets/2196760

Shimmering Wings is a neat piece of tech that can be UU draw a card and also an evasion enabler you can bounce to protect it.

cards like Finest Hour let you kill two people a turn once she gets enormous, and keep working even if she gets killed and loses all her auras.
I'll make some edits to this, including breaking up the Auras and non-Aura enchantments.

Angelic Renewal is a good call, especially with Sun Titan in the deck to bring it back (although I don't have a way to combo, which is fine)--this was a good suggestion and I've added him to the deck.

Flickering Ward is the white version of Shimmering Wings. I like it here because it's both a protection piece to help avoid removal, and can make something straight-up unblockable. In addition, the deck can make way more than

yeti1069

I have some edits I've done that need to be updated here, but had a game tonight that went very well.

Received a lot of hate early on, as I was building up quickly, and managed to weather 2 Kozilek swings (Annihilator 4 twice) fairly early, as well as some targeted removal, to eventually lock things up and win on the backs of some 4/4 angels.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Winds of Rath, not Winds of Wrath.

As for cuts... Wargate is very sweet, but slightly awkward because most of your enchantress effects trigger on cast, not ETB.
Wheel of Sun and Moon is sort of meh as a hate piece. I wouldn't run it unless I had some synergies - Rest in Peace is better otherwise.
Not a ton of creatures for Aura Shards.
I'm also not a big fan of Dueling Grounds.
I don't have specific complaints for the various voltron cards - they all make sense in an aura-based voltron deck - but they aren't as necessary. I will call out Ancestral Mask as missing though.
Mana Bloom and Flickering Ward look a bit less necessary to me. Your enchantresses trigger off every cast, but if you're drawing enough cards, then you'll have other, more productive enchantments to play instead. Similar callout for Abundance - card quality matters less when backed up by sheer card quantity.
Eladamri's Call loses a lot of versatility here, since you effectively only have a single creature to fetch (7 different flavors of the same enchantress, with negligible differences). I'd cut it, or at least replace it with another enchantress (Sram, Senior Edificer?).
Gift of Paradise is pretty weak ramp.

I'd say that the main thing that stands out to me is the redundancy - you have a bunch of similar enchantresses, ramp spells, voltron auras, and removal spells. If it were me, I'd just line each category up in a pile and cut my least favorite two cards from each pile.

ChocoDude

Post by ChocoDude » 3 years ago

What are your thoughts on adding Duelist's Heritage to pump up the Voltron damage? I realize that a few of you don't like auras because of potential 2-for-1's, but I'm wondering what you think of those that provide evasion in the form of flying or even better unblockability such as: Cartouche of Knowledge, Alpha Authority, Canopy Cover, Steel of the Godhead, Pemmin's Aura, Aether Tunnel, Aqueous Form, or Cloak of Invisibility?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”