Choose Companion Randomly at Beginning of Game. Umori // Kaheera // Zirda // Obosh // Jegantha // Keruga

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

After investing a lot of time in brewing around the stipulations of companions, I had this thought experiment whether it was possible to have a deck that contained the stipulations of all the companions?
The idea is that at the start of a game you can choose any one of the companions, it doesn't matter which one, your deck will meet the requirements.
Perhaps a silly idea, but I thought I'd be the first in the world to probably make this particular deck. If I'm not then that person needs to get a life.

Now some companions conflict straight off the bat with Obosh, the Preypiercer and Gyruda, Doom of Depths, so one was going to need to be chosen over the other.
However with Zirda, the Dawnwaker requiring activated abilities and Kaheera, the Orphanguard only allowing Beasts, Cats, Dinosaurs, Elementals and Nightmares, it turns out the only legendary creature that can meet all the requirements of the companions is Horde of Notions.
So this instantly meant that Obosh, the Preypiercer was going to need to be selected for odd converted mana costs.

Further to this Lurrus of the Dream-Den can only be played with Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim or Karlov of the Ghost Council so needed to be ruled out as well.
The rules as it stands do not allow for Lutri, the Spellchaser or Yorion, Sky Nomad to be played as companions for commander either.

Thus the candidates are; Umori, the Collector, Kaheera, the Orphanguard, Zirda, the Dawnwaker, Obosh, the Preypiercer, Jegantha, the Wellspring, Keruga, the Macrosage.

Here is the full list of stipulations, and remember every single card in your 99 has to meet the requirements. I've basically sorted it into an order of relevancy, meaning the first in the list weighs heavily to limit your options and the last seemly has the least impact.
  • Each nonland card in your starting deck shares a card type.
  • Each creature card in your starting deck is a Cat, Elemental, Nightmare, Dinosaur, or Beast card.
  • Each permanent card in your starting deck has an activated ability.
  • Your starting deck contains only cards with odd converted mana costs and land cards.
  • No card in your starting deck has more than one of the same mana symbol in its mana cost.
  • Your starting deck contains only cards with converted mana cost 3 or greater and land cards.
With Umori, the Collector and Horde of Notions the deck could only contain creatures and lands.
Further to this Kaheera, the Orphanguard meant that only Cat, Elemental, Nightmare, Dinosaur, or Beast could be played as your creatures.
Zirda, the Dawnwaker narrows this down even more to those creatures must have activated abilities.
Obosh, the Preypiercer only allows for odd converted mana costs and Keruga, the Macrosage means that these have to at least start at 3 converted mana cost .
Finally Jegantha, the Wellspring means that any of these creatures that have pips (double or more of a mana symbol) need to be ruled out in the end.

I assembled a full list of cards that meet these requirements and it was 71 creatures.
I went through the process of cutting creatures and the thing is that there is a lot of chaff. So much in fact, that I decided that it was just better to have a land heavy deck that can make use out of utility lands.

Is the deck good? Well practically unbeatable no, lol, it exists as a meme only.
But spreading the companions across the table and then rolling a D6 to select which one you'll play certainly is appealing when it comes to impressing the hot girl who has come down to watch the local games. Bound to get you a date.

With Horde of Notions the Elementals have the most synergy with being able to bring them back from the graveyard.
If Jegantha, the Wellspring is your chosen companion, then it can pay for the activated ability of Horde of Notions.

There are 21 Elementals, 19 Beasts, 4 Cats, 3 Changelings, 2 Dinosaurs, 1 Nightmare and a partridge in a pear tree.

As far as actual tribal synergies;
Elementals have Incandescent Soulstoke, Seething Pathblazer, Sparkspitter.
Beasts have Krosan Warchief.
Cats have Andrew Lloyd Webber Pride Sovereign.

No Dinosaur or Nightmare tribal bonuses, but probably the decks crowning glory is to resolve Zacama, Primal Calamity and start tearing up nerds cards for laughing at your previous offerings.

Remember with Kaheera, the Orphanguard you'll get +1/+1 bonuses to any of the creatures in your deck and vigilance as well. Slay.

There are some synergies with +1/+1 counters.
Fertilid, Steppe Glider, Cytospawn Shambler, Helium Squirter, Spiritmonger, Marath, Will of the Wild.
I'm happy for a Squirter to graft me any day of the week.

You can make opponents discard cards for as much Green or Black mana as you have with Cinderhaze Wretch and Quillspike.

Umori, the Collector as your companion will mean that you can cast your creatures on a lower curve.

Zirda, the Dawnwaker will allow you to activate creatures like Time Elemental, Akim, the Soaring Wind, Inner-Flame Igniter, along with all the others that have mana costs associated with activation's.
It can also help with some cycling cards in the deck to dig for..well Zacama, Primal Calamity :P

Obosh, the Preypiercer as your companion does actually mean that all your creatures hit for massive amounts of damage. They maybe janky on the initial read, but Torrent Elemental tapping down all your opponents creatures and hitting with Crater Elemental for 16 damage is the stuff of Nightmares...no not the tribal creature type...the visions you have in your sleep when you are naked in front of friends and family, and you're just not that well endowed.

Finally if you get Keruga, the Macrosage as your chosen companion then you can refill your hand with every nonland card you play providing you a draw. Now that is what I call Hipporiffic!

With the lands I have "manlands" that you can activate that are Elemental to get those bonuses from Kaheera, the Orphanguard.
Celestial Colonnade, Creeping Tar Pit, Hissing Quagmire, Lumbering Falls, Needle Spires, Stirring Wildwood, Wandering Fumarole, Mutavault.
Zirda, the Dawnwaker help to make these much easier to activate.

There are lots of cycling lands which will get cost reductions with Zirda, the Dawnwaker which allow you to get to your more powerful options in the deck...did I mention Zacama, Primal Calamity yet?

Choose Companion Randomly at Beginning of Game

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Honestly, this looks to be the only way companion looks fun at all. I personally hate the idea of them and wish they were never printed, but we can't change that now.

Anyway good job, nice list. Good luck ever getting some wins, but the deck idea looks fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”