Zirda: Mana is what the fox says

Tryno
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tryno » 3 years ago

Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tryno 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Vrondiss

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Land Tax - As I start caring more about hitting my land drops and getting into transform to land effects this card gets more questionable for me. I however see less green ramp in my meta so I think it depends a bit on how often its live. I have found that I have cut it from almost all of my decks given my current meta but I get that the current meta I am in is a bit strange. The transform into land effects have made it harder for me to hit this effect though of late.

Forsake the Worldly - Its not a bad effect by any means. I just see a number of similar effects in your list and wonder if you would prefer to have Return to Dust or even Topple the Statue instead. I used to enjoy this effect but since they added Crush Contraband and Heliod's Intervention to the options I just have felt like its better to hit harder getting more targets in one shot or also draw a card when you use the removal. Forsake is fine, its just like, with either cycling it or casting it I get the impression that its efficiency for what it does isn't all that great.

Tragic Arrogance - I do really like this card, but I guess my concern is that you probably want to keep your commander, token maker, and ramp. I just get the impression that you need to keep several of your own things alive and I wonder if this is really the best effect for this deck. I like Tragic a lot more when running a list with less complexity to it. I see this sort of commander as someone who wants a few more tools in play.

Some random things that maybe could be helpful:
  • Hall of Heliod's Generosity - Several of your enchantments look like somewhat of priority things to have in play. This gives you a means to keep them in and it doesn't take up much room. I get that you don't have a ton of them but.... lots of them seem worth keeping in play.
  • Dust Bowl - So, its sort of a Tectonic Edge to be honest but the commander reduces the activation cost to 1 and lets you ship any land as a Strip Mine. I think I could see replacing Strip Mine or running this in addition. Its true that Strip Mine is cheaper to activate but it can't be used repeatedly.
  • Enlightened Tutor - It seems like this tutor covers most of the types of effects you would want for this deck.
  • Ghostly Prison - A defensive option I have always liked. Its nice that you can Sun Titan / Sevinne's Reclamation it back and if you add Hall of Heliod's it does add another way to recur it.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tryno

Post by Tryno » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Land Tax - I have found that I have cut it from almost all of my decks given my current meta but I get that the current meta I am in is a bit strange. The transform into land effects have made it harder for me to hit this effect though of late.
I think I will cut this, I think the deck has enough draw to not worry about missing land drops. I also have been seeing a downwards curve in how useful it is.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Forsake the Worldly - Its not a bad effect by any means. I just see a number of similar effects in your list and wonder if you would prefer to have Return to Dust or even Topple the Statue instead.
I agree, I think I got tunnel visioned in my initial brew. I think I am running enough removal, and with your other inclusions, I think it is safe to cut this.

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Tragic Arrogance - I do really like this card, but I guess my concern is that you probably want to keep your commander, token maker, and ramp.
I feel like there is a diverse enough permanent variety to keep this, and not be overly punished. I needed a Wrath that would hit me the least hard.

As for your suggestions, I don't know how I passed over them. You will see them in my changelog below.

Changes
Land TaxEnlightened Tutor
Strip MineDust Bowl
PlainsHall of Heliod's Generosity
Forsake the WorldlyGhostly Prison

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Vrondiss

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje