Mairsil: Cage Fighter

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

This list is being posted for record keeping, but feel free to comment.

Mairsil, the Pretender is a commander that can take bad cards, which in nearly any other deck would have massive drawbacks , and extract powerful engines or effects. Mairsil can also subvert expectations, typically when my opponents see Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon or Kozilek, the Great Distortion get exiled. The only card that needs to resolve all game is Mairsil, the Pretender, and I regularly have 8 cards in exile to puzzle over engines with. An important concept for this deck is that when Mairsil changes zones, it's now a new object and therefore can use each ability once more. For example, Commander's Sphere + Cauldron of Souls is some good card advantage with a way to reset counters like Carnifex Demon or Endling.

The goal of the deck is to set up a convoluted combo using only my commander, emphasis on convoluted. I know that the most efficient combos for Mairsil use Gilded Lotus, but that's a bit too straightforward so instead I use Lotus Bloom, Soldevi Adnate, Astral Cornucopia, and/or Empowered Autogenerator. This is obviously slower, so the deck needs to have a decent control game, which is accomplished with Nevinyrral's Disk, Perilous Vault, and Oblivion Stone as repeated boardwipes from Mairsil as well as repeatable targeted removal. Keeping Mairsil in play can also be difficult, so there are a large number of protection abilities to regenerate, gain shroud, become land, flicker, undie, or just make an new Mairsil.
Charging the Cage up

Commander

Spectators outside the cage

Spectators that enter the cage

Instants and Sorcerys for Dralnu

Ramp up to (and into) the cage

Bringing a gun to a cage fight

Hidden capacitor bank

Surviving to monologue

Approximate Total Cost:

Some notable single cards: Intuition and buried alive have 0 drawback because Mairsil can cage from the graveyard, but rarely set up a winning cage stack by themselves. I usually get cards to set up further. With an empty cage, my go to is one of these: or The standard card advantage can be as simple The simple combos are somewhat straightforward. More convoluted combos typically involve multiple zones/clones. These usually generate infinite mana or cage triggers to set up other combos. Planned edits: add Cryptic Trilobite as ramp to get Mairsil earlier while also comboing well with sources of +1/+1 counters.
I'm always looking for good activated abilities on terrible cards, or new synergies with counters.
Last edited by Crazy Monkey 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Tags:

Michel
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Michel » 3 years ago

Hi,

Very interesting deck, the chromatic orrery of M21 will be a good add !

However, your combo Aetherling - Perilous Vault doesn't work because if you blink first (on the stack) and then perilous, you'll exile Mairsil and the ability of Aetherling will not resolve because of missing target to exile. Mairsil we be not bring back at the end of the turn.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

The first important part about Aetherling's first ability is that it does not target. This means that the ability resolves, even if Mairsil, the Pretender is no longer on the battlefield.

The second important part is the zone that both abilities send the card to: exile. This means that the delayed trigger to return it at end step is able to find Mairsil, the Pretender in exile, and return him to the battlefield.

The orrery is more interesting to me for some other decks of mine than this one. In Maisil, it's not a card that I'd want to cage; though the mana fixing isn't bad.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

@MeowZeDung, I appreciate the callout on @toctheyoungers Zombie list. It's a reminder on disparate power level targets across various meta games, because I tried to make sure this build is lower level than a dedicated combo list, like was explored when Mairsil first released. I usually play this as a slow, but steady control deck first with a combo endgame (eg. Hateflayer as removal or untaps).

I don't personally run a zombie toolbox for Mairsil, but combinations with The Scarab God and something like Coffin Queen or Havengul Lich seem powerful. If you do go this route then I'd absolutely recommend Ghoulcaller Gisa, that seems like a massive repeatable army in a can.
Commander Decks

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Yeah, if I roll with the deck then Gisa will have to be an investment when I can get to it for sure. I don't have a Scarab God or Coffin Queen yet either, but they all hit my radar!

Also, I love the idea of a Mairsil combo list, and I think yours is sweet tbh. I don't want you to think that my comment about avoiding combo with Mairsil was ragging on people who do. I just wanted to take him another direction is all. I already combo quite a bit in my other decks. That said, I'm still going to be running Underworld Breach because undead flavor and graveyard synergies :cool:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Yeah idk if I'd be keen to play against the standard combo route Mairsil, from what I've heard that deck is stupidly hard to interact with, seems like a waste of time. Still I can appreciate a list that builds strong synergies and limits itself for power but still combos.
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Also, I love the idea of a Mairsil combo list, and I think yours is sweet tbh. I don't want you to think that my comment about avoiding combo with Mairsil was ragging on people who do. I just wanted to take him another direction is all. I already combo quite a bit in my other decks. That said, I'm still going to be running Underworld Breach because undead flavor and graveyard synergies
Not sure if you have already or not, but you should read the oracle rulings on gatherer for Underworld Breach. Gave me a few chuckles.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

MeowZeDung

Lol: "Perhaps it will escape again—good underworld security is so hard to come by these days."

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Lol: "Perhaps it will escape again—good underworld security is so hard to come by these days."
It's pretty hilarious, and also gives you a hint that it can be broken. Not many cards have that.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

MeowZeDung

Indeed!

On an on-topic note: @Crazy Monkey, is there a reason you run Erratic Portal and not Crystal Shard? I guess the generic costed activation? Do you never find yourself hardcasting something like that where the lower cmc would be worth it potentially?

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Also, I love the idea of a Mairsil combo list, and I think yours is sweet tbh. I don't want you to think that my comment about avoiding combo with Mairsil was ragging on people who do. I just wanted to take him another direction is all. I already combo quite a bit in my other decks. That said, I'm still going to be running Underworld Breach because undead flavor and graveyard synergies :cool:
I hadn't even considered Underworld Breach here. It's (probably) not great in my build, but in a less dedicated-Mairsil deck it makes a lot of sense.

No offense taken, I didn't mean to phrase my comment in that way. I'm more surprised than anything. Mostly because I don't usually think of this as a "combo list", more of an engine deck. Don't get me wrong, this is absolutely a combo deck, just a slow(er) one that plays a control midgame. When I think of "combo Mairsil", I'm reminded of all the "solved" lists from 2017/2018 that ran a pile of tutors for their single 2-3 card combo.

Side note: I have a bit of habit of calling a deck by what I want it to be instead of how it ends up playing or my playgroup perceives it. While I recognize this deck virtually only wins via combo or repeated boardwipe lockouts, I continue to think of it as control because it's "not as combo as those tuned lists". It's similar to how my legendary tribal deck has won it's last series of games by setting up a nearly untouchable lockout but I insisted on recording it as an "aggro win" because I didn't kill the table until the next turn, with combat damage.

EDIT:
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Indeed!

On an on-topic note: @Crazy Monkey, is there a reason you run Erratic Portal and not Crystal Shard? I guess the generic costed activation? Do you never find yourself hardcasting something like that where the lower cmc would be worth it potentially?
I should have actually read the updates before posting. You're correct, it's almost entirely due to color costs and the difficulty of keeping up the required mana colors without something like Seedborn Muse for entire turn cycles. I do cast it with some regularity, usually the turn after Mairsil, the Pretender, so the option to cast before has some benefit. The real reason is that I never plan to cast 90% of this deck and instead shovel it into exile, so I'm usually more focused on the ability costs than actual CMC. I should probably at least test the shard.
Last edited by Crazy Monkey 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Decks

MeowZeDung

Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
Don't get me wrong, this is absolutely a combo deck, just a slow(er) one that plays a control midgame.
Yeah, that's how I interpreted it. If you were trying to bust Mairsil wide open with today's pool of cards it would probably involve tutoring into some lifelink and Aetherflux Reservoir I imagine.

MeowZeDung

Well I pieced together what I was thinking, and it's very different from your list. I'd love to hear what you and @toctheyounger think of it though. Here's a rough draft:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mairsil, Pretend Zombie

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Well I pieced together what I was thinking, and it's very different from your list. I'd love to hear what you and @toctheyounger think of it though. Here's a rough draft:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mairsil, Pretend Zombie

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

I really like Grimgrin, Corpse-Born here, it's an untap effect and the +1/+1 counter powers up persist. I think that I can already see a future combo with Grimgrin, Ghoulcaller Gisa, and Cauldron of Souls with a mana source and haste. Tap for persist, sacrifice a token to untap and cancel the -1/-1, then tap and sacrifice again for 4 more tokens. That seems extremely potent with the potential for tokens in the deck. It doesn't even need to go infinite if you're further increasing it with Stoneforge Masterwork-type effects, although that may suggest Amorphous Axe or Runed Stalactite for repeated tribal checks.

I really like the amount of discard support here, because the cost is minimal with Mairsil. Zombie Infestation and Forgotten Creation seem especially good here. Have you considered Bone Miser for an on-theme support for self-discard?

When commander 2019 came out, I nearly added Aeon Engine here for tomfoolery similar to Perilous Vault + Aetherling and lock players not next to me out of the game. I decided that was 1. too much and 2. not fun. However, this means that you could use something like Mirror of Fate for repeated use of your Army of the Damned. I saw you seemed to have a slight flashback subtheme, but maybe I misunderstood the intention.

My biggest concern here is that there aren't that many ways to enable multiple triggers of Mairsil's EtB. I know this is not your primary focus, but only Aetherling and Conjurer's Closet do this without some support (eg. a sacrifice outlet), and there aren't many enablers for cards like Endling and Cauldron of Souls. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but means that Mairsil will have more difficulty setting up multiple cards without tutor support.
Commander Decks

MeowZeDung

Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
I really like Grimgrin, Corpse-Born here, it's an untap effect and the +1/+1 counter powers up persist. I think that I can already see a future combo with Grimgrin, Ghoulcaller Gisa, and Cauldron of Souls with a mana source and haste. Tap for persist, sacrifice a token to untap and cancel the -1/-1, then tap and sacrifice again for 4 more tokens. That seems extremely potent with the potential for tokens in the deck. It doesn't even need to go infinite if you're further increasing it with Stoneforge Masterwork-type effects, although that may suggest Amorphous Axe or Runed Stalactite for repeated tribal checks.
Yeah, Gisa is going to be a high priority acquisition for me. That combo and Haakon, Stromgald Scourge + Diregraf Colossus + one of the tribal instants are big time token engines for the deck.

It makes me want to find room for more haste a la Anger
and Shriekdiver though.

I forgot Amorphous Axe and Runed Stalactite existed! Very on theme. Hmm finding room is hard though. Maybe one should replace Nim Deathmantle since I'm not comboing with it (although I did consider Ashnod's and Whirler Rogue for that reason tbh).
I really like the amount of discard support here, because the cost is minimal with Mairsil. Zombie Infestation and Forgotten Creation seem especially good here. Have you considered Bone Miser for an on-theme support for self-discard?
Forgotten Creation is a pet card of mine and I'm always glad when it find a home.

The trouble with miser is it's cmc and it can't be caged for value. It was one of my last cuts, but there is a whole lot of discard, it's true. He might be worth it.
you could use something like Mirror of Fate for repeated use of your Army of the Damned. I saw you seemed to have a slight flashback subtheme, but maybe I misunderstood the intention.
I hadn't thought of Mirror of Fate with Mairsil... That's spicy. Especially with 1) self mill 2) flashback and 3) targeted exile from Mairsil himself. That seems worth looking at more closely.
My biggest concern here is that there aren't that many ways to enable multiple triggers of Mairsil's EtB. I know this is not your primary focus, but only Aetherling and Conjurer's Closet do this without some support (eg. a sacrifice outlet), and there aren't many enablers for cards like Endling and Cauldron of Souls. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but means that Mairsil will have more difficulty setting up multiple cards without tutor support.
This is a great callout. I hesitantly cut Erratic Portal, which was probably a mistake. I did also consider something like Escape Artist, Darting Merfolk, or Skywing Aven, so one or more of those should probably get in as a first cage target. Especially the discard ones. The Aven would probably be great here since I can just discard the Mairsil target and I'm not out any mana.

TYVM for the input!

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

Looks fun, and similar to how I built him when he first came out. I always liked cavern harpy as another way to protect mairsil. Ever since pendant of prosperity came out I've kind of wanted to rebuild it. The idea of using mirror of fate really makes me want to now!
Responds well to spells and abilities

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I usually try to avoid relying on bouncing to my hand a recasting if I can. Cavern Harpy is one of the best in that slot, but that method of retriggering or avoiding removal generally makes me more susceptible to disruption. Specifically, because Mairsil only gains abilities while on the battlefield he is hard to protect on the stack. Additionally, the cost to recast is higher than most of the abilities to clone or flicker. I prefer even Myr Propagator for the lower cost and inherent instant speed nature.

That's just my approach though, returning to hand can be solid. It's the type of 0CMC protection that is good as a second or third ability to push through heavy removal.
Commander Decks

MeowZeDung

Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
I prefer even Myr Propagator for the lower cost and inherent instant speed nature.
I want to make sure I understand how that would work: assuming Myr Propagator is caged, Mairsil taps to activate, the token copy enters and its etb trigger hits the stack at the same time that the legend rule applies. You let the token die due to the legend rule, but its trigger still cages something for the original Mairsil. Am I correct in assuming that's how that would play out rules-wise? If so, that's better than the option I was considering with Identity Thief, and it gets even better if you can untap somehow and activate again. Sweet.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
I prefer even Myr Propagator for the lower cost and inherent instant speed nature.
I want to make sure I understand how that would work: assuming Myr Propagator is caged, Mairsil taps to activate, the token copy enters and its etb trigger hits the stack at the same time that the legend rule applies. You let the token die due to the legend rule, but its trigger still cages something for the original Mairsil. Am I correct in assuming that's how that would play out rules-wise? If so, that's better than the option I was considering with Identity Thief, and it gets even better if you can untap somehow and activate again. Sweet.
Yes, that line of play is something that I do with both the myr and Pack Rat. The benefit of these is that you can chose to keep the token and let Mairsil die if you need to. For example, this can force a zone change to avoid theft effects if you don't otherwise have a protection ability yet.
Commander Decks

MeowZeDung

Both Propagator and Pack Rat are sweet options, but my build is going to have this weird tension of demanding that non-zombie creatures and any artifacts in the deck for caging purposes meet a high threshold of value to merit inclusion. Pack Rat probably gets there because it doesn't require a tap, and it's even good outside of the cage with or without surprise/lol-worthy Anger, Stoneforge Masterwork, and Shared Animosity synergy, but I don't think Propagator is quite good enough.

On the subject of bounce/flicker and protecting Mairsil, I'm guessing you run Sanctum of Eternity to avoid costs, but have you ever tested Riptide Laboratory as a way to hold up protection on opponents' turns and also get value from repeated ETBs?

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I have not tested Riptide Laboratory here, and I definitely should. Honestly, Sanctum of Eternity was included because I had it from a precon, and of my decks this uses the commanders EtB the most. I completely overlooked the Riptide Lab.
Commander Decks

MeowZeDung

Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
I have not tested Riptide Laboratory here, and I definitely should. Honestly, Sanctum of Eternity was included because I had it from a precon, and of my decks this uses the commanders EtB the most. I completely overlooked the Riptide Lab.
Funny you should mention that, when I saw it in my box earlier today and it occurred to me to run it in Mairsil, I realized I had been sleeping on it for Kykar, Wind's Fury. The ETB isn't a thing there, but the protection is sweet.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Updating the list because I had a player in my metagame ask for the list. It looks like I did end up testing Riptide Laboratory and adding it, and the conversation around giving lifelink sent my down to rabbit hole of Phyrexian Colossus + Heartless Hidetsugu with Shadowspear to fuel it. Only other updates appear to be the printing of Sakashima of a Thousand Faces and Mirror Box for obvious reasons.
Commander Decks

NotARooster

Post by NotARooster » 1 year ago

Have you considered cageable lifelink options like Cabal Initiate or Prakhata Pillar-Bug?

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

I definitely considered Prakhata Pillar-Bug. It is actually the next potential inclusion if I keep the Hidestugu and colossus, but I have so few abilities that deal damage that lifelink doesn't do much otherwise. Colossus at least can be used for other abilities, and Hidestugu only needs 2 or 3 activations to get to the endgame. Adding lifelink keeps me safer, but doesn't really help beyond fueling Phyrexian Colossus. I went with Shadowspear because the ability is more broadly useful and it at least gives the option for lifelink.

Honestly, I have not assembled that pair in game despite it being included for a while. The main intention was to pressure life totals more quickly when a repeated board wipe was set up.
Commander Decks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”