Medomai: Time for Tempo

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

This is posted for record keeping, but feel free to comment.

Medomai the Ageless is a straightforward commander with a large flaw: people don't really like playing against extra turns. When I originally built this deck in 2013 with a large number of planeswalkers, the deck got focused quickly and rarely untapped with the commander. It has since turned into an attempt at tempo by casting 1-2 spells to advance the board state, then very quickly pass through then extra turn to have mana untapped for interaction and control. This can expand into 3-4 spells with double-strike and 3 turns. I usually try to have my entire turn sequence planned so that my cluster of turns still takes about as long as the average turn. This may be just 2 turns of: land, 6 drop, swing go.

There are a couple of infinite turns loops that are enabled via Medomai the Ageless, which were much more expensive prior to Spark Double and Helm of the Host. The simplest is just Vesuvan Shapeshifter turning face up or Sakashima's Student ninjitsu-ing during combat as Medomai. Before clones removed the legendary supertype, the turns needed to be spent making enough mana to re-cast the commander. Those additions allowed me to cut Mirror Gallery.

The by far more interesting (read: convoluted) method is to use Soul Sculptor to make Medomai an enchantment then animate with Starfield of Nyx to have a creature without text. Then cast and self-bounce Stonecloaker after Medomai is attacking to end the soul sculptor effect. Most of those cards are somewhat useful on their own, so there's "low" opportunity cost for this combo.
Taking extra turns: as fast as possible

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”