Thassa, Deep Dwelling: Looking for Suggestions

Cool_Doggo
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cool_Doggo » 4 years ago

Hello, I'm a migrate from MTGSalvation. This is my first post on these forums, so forgive me if anything is misformatted.

This is my version of Thassa, Deep Dwelling for which I am looking for suggestions.

I know Thassa does not have a very high power ceiling, but I would like to make the deck as tuned as I reasonably can, budget prohibiting. Hopefully, I can settle around a power level of a 7-8.

Playing the Deck:
As is the case with most "blink decks," the goal is to set up an engine and accrue value, which you can then use to leverage a win.

Most of the time, you'll spend the early game playing mana rocks and at least one small creature, like Flthp, so that you gain immediate value after playing Thassa.

Archaeomancer provides a way to win the game by comboing with Time Warp and Thassa to make infinite turns, but in the early game, it's alright to use Archaeomancer to get back a bounce spell to stay alive.

Thanks for your time and help.

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Thassa's power ceiling is fairly high given she has multiple combos in the zone - particularly the mnemonic wall/archaeomancer + Time warp combos. Pretty easy to get to an 8/10 in my opinion.

One thing I'll say is I don't think Ixidron is worth the risk of popping Thassa. I cut it from my list because Thassa was online too much, and I run fewer pips than you do even.

Body Double is a card I think most of these decks should play; its nice to have virtual creature recursion.

Inundate has been pretty good to me overall; fairly pricy but it does a lot of good stuff.

Palinchron is a card I would definitely play. It and peregrine drake are both really powerful, play them for free then use the mana etc. then pass the turn with mana.

Mystic Confluence is a pretty useful card; it almost always turns infinite mana into a game win, which is nice.

Dream Eater has been pretty good; it's a pet card of @WizardMN but I really like it - very flexible and digs very deep. You can see 8 cards deep if you cast it then blink it which is fairly unreal for that mana amount, and also gain some tempo. And it has flash.

Even though they are not amazing in this deck I have found the sorcery speed cantrips to be worth playing.

Expedition Map is likely to be better than most of the 2 cmc ramp spells particularly the ones that ETB tapped, especially since Nykthos goes infinite with Palinchron very easily.

CTNC

Post by CTNC » 4 years ago

Something that Thassa does differently from other blink commanders is she returns things to the battlefield under your control instead of its owner's, so temporary theft becomes permanent. I recommend Vedalken Shackles, Chamber of Manipulation, and Willbreaker with Thassa's tap ability if you want to abuse that.

WizardMN
Answers: 125

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

I do have a problem cutting Dream Eater from decks. Even Sygg is still running it when I want the overall curve of that deck to be lower :)

I am not a fan of Phantasmal Image here due to not working very well with Thassa, but clones in general seem like a really good idea as you can get a lot of mileage out of putting them out early and then "upgrading" them. The only caveat is not necessarily being able to re-use ETBs if the original creature is gone.

I do think there is some merit to CTNC's though of temporary theft → permanent theft, though I wouldn't go as far as the Chamber. Willbreaker does seem pretty decent with Thassa's activated ability though.

I don't really see anything here I don't like. Maybe Scourge of Fleets but only because of the mana cost. The effect seems really good.

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

This deck really wants a Trinket Mage and a couple more solid targets for it. Like Soul-Guide Lantern or Tormod's Crypt, and of course Mana Crypt, if you've got access to it.

Oh, and it reeeeeally wants a Gilded Drake. With Thassa's ability, you get to just keep blinked the Drake and taking more things.

Also, that Ghost Quarter should most definitely be a Strip Mine.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

pokken

ZenN wrote:
4 years ago
This deck really wants a Trinket Mage and a couple more solid targets for it. Like Soul-Guide Lantern or Tormod's Crypt, and of course Mana Crypt, if you've got access to it.

Oh, and it reeeeeally wants a Gilded Drake. With Thassa's ability, you get to just keep blinked the Drake and taking more things.

Also, that Ghost Quarter should most definitely be a Strip Mine.
Drake doesn't really work because you can only blink stuff you control, but it is still really good in the deck since you can bounce it recast it etc.

It's really fun to blink venser bouncing drake, etc.

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Drake doesn't really work because you can only blink stuff you control,
Oh yeah, forgot Thassa, Deep-Dwelling was worded that way. Venser the Sojourner she is not.

Also, seems like a Conjurer's Closet might be a good idea, to serve as Thassa backup if you ever can't have her on the table.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

pokken

ZenN wrote:
4 years ago
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Drake doesn't really work because you can only blink stuff you control,
Oh yeah, forgot Thassa, Deep-Dwelling was worded that way. Venser the Sojourner she is not.
It is definitely still an autoinclude, especially since thassa can blink what you took so you gilded drake for an Avenger of Zendikar and then blink it every turn. May or may not have won a game that way then ghostly flickered some lands for the win.

Cool_Doggo

Thank you for the fast and thoughtful suggestions.

I like the Trinket Mage idea, unfortunately, I don't have access to Crypt. Don't let my Force of Will fool you. They are heavily beat up, but came from a large collection I found on the cheap.

Willbender needs testing. I'll slot it in the Ixidron spot, but I hate that it doesn't do anything on it's own.

Palinchron could combo with Phantasmal Image, but there's currently no mana sink or way to tutor. Still, worth testing.

Expedition Map finding Nkythos is good.

Body Double and Conjurer's Closet are also very nice. Might try to find a slot, but my five slot is already high.

The only issue I have is finding room in the list and the overall CMC.

pokken

with infinite mana it's pretty easy to turn Mystic Confluence or Cryptic Command into infinite mana outlets, I never had trouble winning the game with infinite mana because of all the bombs.

What I find is that palinchron is good enough as good stuff. It makes *sooooo* much mana, and I often find an infinite outlet by virtue of being able to just windmill slam the stupid bombs.

one time i infinite'd with mystic confluence/sphinx of ulthuun/archaeomancer :P

In your deck bounce spells like engulf/evac become infinite combo pieces with infinite mana pretty easy.

Cool_Doggo

Any suggestions on what to remove for Sower of Temptation?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”