Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

I don't know if this is something I'm going to keep around long term, but so far, for the few games I've played with it, I've been enjoying it. It's nothing crazy, just my own take on a spellslinger + tokens build of Kykar. When Kykar was first spoiled, I was among the first to post a list for it back on Salvation, but I never ended up really playing it. I always sort of kept it in the back of my mind, though, and with some of the new cards in Ikoria really catching my eye for it, I decided to give it another go.

This list feels a lot better than that original list I'd posted back then. The win conditions are damaging out the table with Purphoros, God of the Forge or Impact Tremors, or "going off" and killing people with Aetherflux Reservoir, or just straight up attacking people to death with a bunch of tokens, sometimes with the help of something like Jeskai Ascendancy. I find this lends itself a lot better to both my play style and my usual group than if I were to be going all in on the red cantrips, or a full token focus, or full on storm.

Currently, the deck has only one extra turn spell, and only one combo. The first night I played this I had more of both of those things, and I actually won 3 of 3 games with it, after which I decided to take out some of the other combo pieces that were in here (some of which weren't actually intentionally added as a combo...), and toned the overall deck down just a smidge.

The one combo intentionally still included here is Kykar, Wind's Fury + Elsha of the Infinite/Future Sight + Sensei's Divining Top.
The ones that were here previously were:
Kykar, Wind's Fury

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM

Tags:

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Nice. I always love seeing another Kykar list.

Just my $.02, but two cards that have huge payoffs in Kykar are Sunforger and Mandate of Peace.

If you wanted to really make Sunforger a work horse, you could swap out stuff like Remand for Counterflux or Render Silent. Even if you don't want to do that, you've got enough goodies like Generous Gift, Swords to Plowshares, Silence, Teferi's Protection etc. to make it great.

I slept on Mandate of Peace at first, but after a little bit of testing I realized it's bonkers. Half Silence, half Teferi's Protection, cheaper than dirt, Sunforger fetchable. Delightful to play with.

If you ever want to slip some combo back in the deck, Underworld Breach is where it's at with Kykar.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Nice. I always love seeing another Kykar list.

Just my $.02, but two cards that have huge payoffs in Kykar are Sunforger and Mandate of Peace.

If you wanted to really make Sunforger a work horse, you could swap out stuff like Remand for Counterflux or Render Silent. Even if you don't want to do that, you've got enough goodies like Generous Gift, Swords to Plowshares, Silence, Teferi's Protection etc. to make it great.

I slept on Mandate of Peace at first, but after a little bit of testing I realized it's bonkers. Half Silence, half Teferi's Protection, cheaper than dirt, Sunforger fetchable. Delightful to play with.

If you ever want to slip some combo back in the deck, Underworld Breach is where it's at with Kykar.
I love Sunforger, and it was originally in here, with a handful of spells to round out the package. It's huge value but it's just so slow. And after so many times have having my creature killed in response to equipping I've become very loathe to play most equipment in general.

Mandate of Peace is a sweet card. It was almost in here a couple times but didn't end up making it. Maybe I'll reconsider.

I almost put Underworld Breach + Burning Inquiry in here. It's a little too all in for what I'm trying to do here, but it's definitely sweet. Breach is good enough it gets be here regardless.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”