Yorion Opalescence Combo - This is nonsense

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

So taking my cue from @darrenhabib's ridonkulous deck I decided to make my enchantment themed version with such horrible nonsense as:

* Opalescence + Parallax Wave combo
* Much of the normal Yorion nonsense
* Making people scoop on MTGO by blinking Fall of the Thran while I return Serra's Sanctum and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and they lose their lands again after I tapped mine for 15.

This deck is possibly too strong and I doubt I will play it for long. It is *gross* when it works. The MTGO meta of tap out yield all is just not prepared for this bullcrap.
Yorion Enchantments and Opalenonsense

Commander

Sorceries (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

This deck does...so many nonsensical things it's hard to describe. It can make a ton of mana by blinking mana rocks with Yorion. It can set up a scenario where it spams elspeth conquers death and exclusion ritual until people want to die.

It can lock your opponents out of the board with the old double yorion skybind dance, wherein you blink all your enchantments with Yorion and skybind all of someone's lands or important permanents.

It can build its own seedborn muse by skybinding its own lands. IT can skybind all its own lands and then destroy everyone else's with Fall of the Thran.

It can dig 30 cards a turn cycle with ancestral knowledge or whirlpool rider or Induced Amnesia.

It can even interact just a little bit to protect itself, and lock the game down with forbid.

This deck is nowhere near tuned. I slapped it together in half an hour and got rid of cards that were too expensive.

The people who said this commander was just a watered down brago were absolutely incorrect :P

A few weird card choices you might wonder about.

altar of dementia and High Market - we need some sac outlets to support Academy Rector - she ain't gonna do it herself. altar of dementia can set up game ending locks with skybind+emeria shepherd where you mill yourself to even more oppressive lock cards and then lock everyone out -- or you can straight up mill everyone to death by sac'ing a bunch of fatties if needed. I've found having an open sac outlet to be pretty useful in these kinds of decks to protect creatures from Gilded Drake too.

Basalt Monolith -- when your commander can reset it, it's just a cheaper thran dynamo that makes 3 land hands keepable.

Land Tax it lets us keep more hands and it's a cheap pip for nykthos/sanctum

Sisay's Ingenuity the only 1 mana enchantment cantrip. There's always a dude you can slap it on and it's nice. It's been good so far.

ashiok's erasure it's for skybind. Truth be told it's pretty bad, but it does beat uncounterable spells which is nice.

consulate crackdown - I have no idea if it's good but it felt like a reasonable thing to try since can reset it it kinda locks people out of playing enchantments or artifacts. Probably too expensive.

parallax tide if you've followed Darren's aminatou deck you probably know how good this card is. With yorion it's next level. It makes itself free and sometimes more than free if you exile nykthos/sanctum/ancient tomb then cast Yorion. Furthermore, it plus parallax wave + Opalescence should make anyone scoop as you make infinite mana then exile all their lands forever.

stunt double it's a bit of a gimmick but it's a nice way to protect yorion if people try to remove him while his blink is on the stack, and it can also protect your other blink outlets. I think it should be very good.

Mystical Tutor with only a handful of targets...they're all important though. The big thing is Plea for Guidance is a one card combo in this deck basically (set up wave combo on its own). This is a really late game ploy but if you're untapping with 14 mana you can win with just plea->opal->wave. Plea is a bad card, but it has always been bonkers in my Golos deck so I'm trying it.

Tags:

pokken

Notable exclusions --

Theft effects. I really need to add treachery but I don't intend to add a lot of stealing and copying. Just not what I wanna do.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Sentinel of the Pearl Trident and Blizzard Strix have flash and are engine enablers that only cost one more than Stunt Double.
They are different as they won't cause immediate trigger of Yorion, so if you were hoping to protect your board, but honestly most of the time you have your cards in exile other than Yorion (or the other blink creature), that its not much of a factor.

If you wanted to go full spike then you can leave Stasis in play and blink it out for your turn. Same with any Stax peice.

Scroll of Fate is just amazing with Yorion, think land ramp for Azorius, when this card is at its "worst".

With Skybind and Emeria Shepherd you obviously have the dream situation where you blink out lands, and then just Altar of Dementia as many creatures as you have Emeria Shepherd triggers, to bring them back all into play, so you'll get double triggers and stock your graveyard more.
Then you are just blinking out lands and bringing all the enchantments from graveyard which trigger Skybind again to blink out even more lands, to bring back even more enchantments....you get the picture.

I feel like there is enough of a payoff for this that Thassa's Devourer could be a consideration, very in theme with the deck.

Another little edge you can get is that Skybind triggers stack individually, so as long as you bring back Knight of the White Orchid before the other lands you exiled come back you can always get the ramp, regardless if you started the turn with more lands than other players. This is assuming you can exile enough of your own lands to get under the threshold.

I don't like Crucible of Worlds. Your hand is always going to be stocked with lands for lands drops, and if you're using it as insurance for some your lands, then there are less slot cost effective ways of doing this.
Mistveil Plains can put your Hall of Heliod's Generosity/Serra's Sanctum or whatever back into your library, and you have Weathered Wayfarer to search for it.
Also Sun Titan and Fall of the Thran does the job.
Tolaria a West[/card] is another way to search for lands.
Petrified Field as a backup to lands you want.

Mystic Sanctuary with Replenish is one of my favorite plays with a mill/enchantment deck. Comes with a pretty low cost to include.
With the whole Skybind plan of exiling lands, it does seem like at least one sorcery or instant that you can keep recurring with Mystic Sanctuary can be really beneficial.
Imagine casting Terminus each turn. You can stack your triggers so that your creatures are exiled at the beginning of your turn, and you put Terminus on top, and draw for your turn.
There will even setups where you can do it each players turn, although you really need to make sure that you stack everything absolutely in the right order...good luck with that on MTGO :P

pokken

Lots of really good thoughts there. I need to do some theme winnowing for sure as every non enchantment dilutes the power of sanctum and skybind.

I'm not sure I have quite the volume for archaeomancer (who is currently in) slash mystic sanctuary but they are very good.

I do like the flash slowblinkers but the 4 to 5 mana jump really is a lot. The big thing I forgot is you can recruit the clone which is nice, though you can also recruit prince and flickerwisp they slow reset instead of getting it now. And don't have flash.

I probably also need to suck it up and play spellseeker. Muddle the mixture is insane in this deck as it can get dance or prince or altar or even ancestral or mastery.

The scroll is definitely gross. Been meaning to put it in golos white as well. The issue with it is where to draw the line. I feel like I'd like to be closer to 30 enchantments to assure critical mass for skybind and.sanctum.

Crucible you got my exact thoughts on...hall and sanctum nykthos are really important. But also crucible is great at letting one fetchland turn on emeria. You may be right though. It's one of those cards I'm attached to because it fixes hands so well. It's also obviously good with fall.

I am kinda leaning toward letting fall be the only MLD thing. Realistically I'd you're going nuts static orb and stasis and armageddon are probably right.

That said the mtgo meta is so disgustingly polluted with lands decks that I have to have something. I'm so sick of playing two lands opponents every game that it's made me not want to play my own :P

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Hey, any excuse to play one of my favorite combos is good enough for me.

pokken

umtiger wrote:
4 years ago
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Hey, any excuse to play one of my favorite combos is good enough for me.
Yorion and wave are *sooooo* good together.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”