Kenrith and Zirda meme deck

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

My hypothesis is simple: Kenrith, Zirda, and 99 lands are better than most precons. I'll be picking up all pieces for this as I get the time, and testing it out.

I believe that, vs. precons, you will simply be able to win via activating Kenrith over and over again with Zirda's deduction, and, knowing you will draw lands every single turn be able to mulligan to either protection or ramp.

I think the deck could probably use more sac outlet lands, and playing the scry lands / halimar depths / etc. might be a good idea to help hit the protection lands.

The manlands are a decent mana sink later if you somehow lose Zirda to an exile removal spell (which is not really in very many precons, mind you). It's possible there should be more manlands, and I forgot urza's factory which is quite good with Zirda :P

Backup plan is to store up mana on storage counter lands and pump that into Kenrith for lethal voltron damage.
Decklist

Companion

Approximate Total Cost:

Hit me up with your thoughts on stuff I missed, or if you get bored enough to try a similar brew :P
Last edited by pokken 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

pokken

Wolf run is largely pointless since it's less efficient than just using Kenrith to pump further, so cut that :P Lol

Rogue's passage is largely pointless too -- if kenrith dies we'd be better off just recasting him and drawing 2 cards with the spare mana. The only thing it really stops is deathtouch creatures which we can beat by using Zirda, the Dawnwaker to make them not able to block, or just beat that person to death with manlands/tokens.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Not sure I really like Island of Wak-Wak here. I get it is free to tap, but I might lean towards something like Prahv, Spires of Order. It also protects against more than just creatures though the cost is kind of high.

I am excited to see how this works out. This actually seems like a deck I would want to play just for the lulz so I hope to see a few game summaries. It looks interesting anyway.

pokken

WizardMN wrote:
3 years ago
Not sure I really like Island of Wak-Wak here. I get it is free to tap, but I might lean towards something like Prahv, Spires of Order. It also protects against more than just creatures though the cost is kind of high.

I am excited to see how this works out. This actually seems like a deck I would want to play just for the lulz so I hope to see a few game summaries. It looks interesting anyway.
First game has turn 4 kenrith with turn 5 zirda + high market to defend it, so not too bad :P

Yeha wak wak is probably bad, I just own one in paper and was looking for an excuse to do it.

Also the peat bog lands are 2 bucks apiece online for some reason so I added untaidake online, and cut those. The storage lands are gross.

This deck feels like if you cut 30 lands and added 20 ramp spells and 10 counterspells it would be unstoppable in casual groups.

WizardMN

Did you win the first game? I like the idea of a "Voltron" deck where there are literally no Voltron pieces :)

I am more curious on how the deck functions when Kenrith is removed. Recasting him is obviously easy (you aren't casting anything else after all) but with no real interaction it seems like it would be difficult to get back going once Kenrith is removed 2 or 3 times without just getting run over.

pokken

WizardMN wrote:
3 years ago
Did you win the first game? I like the idea of a "Voltron" deck where there are literally no Voltron pieces :)

I am more curious on how the deck functions when Kenrith is removed. Recasting him is obviously easy (you aren't casting anything else after all) but with no real interaction it seems like it would be difficult to get back going once Kenrith is removed 2 or 3 times without just getting run over.
It's still going. The thing is so far since you hit your land drops 100% of the time if the game goes through multiple wipes you can just storage land up and then cast him if you have to take a turn off.

I don't think i am gonna win, decks are pretty tuned, but I am definitely playing the game :P

I think this would annihilate precons.

pokken

Had to drop out due to running out of lunch time but I am like 100% confident this deck destroys most precons. It has some really big gaps with not being able to deal with some stax pieces, but those things are not really in precons mostly.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 3 years ago

There's a joke in here about 99 lands but a...never mind.

I feel like you need to put a bit more of a premium on white lands, since both Kenrith and Zirda are white. Then, maybe Emeria, the Sky Ruin could help you keep your two guys on the table.

Either way, this is hilarious.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

pokken

OCPunisher wrote:
3 years ago
There's a joke in here about 99 lands but a...never mind.

I feel like you need to put a bit more of a premium on white lands, since both Kenrith and Zirda are white. Then, maybe Emeria, the Sky Ruin could help you keep your two guys on the table.

Either way, this is hilarious.
So far there have been zero issues hitting white. I mean I have 10 fetchlands and like 20 other white sources, and what we really want is a ton of green so we can spam his activated ability. I've noticed a bit of a green shortage more than anything. We only ever need W or WR/RR, so the red does double duty for picking up Zirda.

I'll be playing it with my friends' casual decks this friday and might tune the mana up a bit before then.

I wish there was another cheap high market land, or a land that could dig for other lands - I've had zirda exiled randomly twice so far lol.

WizardMN

Perhaps you might want to add in Tolaria West? Still technically a land but can be used as a spell to tutor for a land. And since your entire deck is lands, it just ends up being a slightly more expensive Demonic Tutor.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Yeha wak wak is probably bad, I just own one in paper and was looking for an excuse to do it.
You lucky bastard (lol).

I did win some games (I think like 2/5) with my 98 lands deck. So victory is absolutely possible, even against non-precons. Although to be fair, in a 1v1 game I probably would have fared worse, I think I got a lot of mileage out of being ignored.

Did you want to actually bash against precons? I've got all of them (minus the new ones since they're delayed) sleeved and ready to go, if you want to play over webcam. I don't have anything on MODO, though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
You lucky bastard (lol).

I did win some games (I think like 2/5) with my 98 lands deck. So victory is absolutely possible, even against non-precons. Although to be fair, in a 1v1 game I probably would have fared worse, I think I got a lot of mileage out of being ignored.

Did you want to actually bash against precons? I've got all of them (minus the new ones since they're delayed) sleeved and ready to go, if you want to play over webcam. I don't have anything on MODO, though.
When i was initially thinking about this I was like yeah man I might sleeve that up, I'd love to play that island of wak wak.

Then I looked at the list of lands and i'd need to strip 3 different decks of their manabases. So I just built it on MTGO instead. It's really the perfect ground for meme decks.

I'll see if I can't record some of the friday matches.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

So now that you've played this a bit, what's your feeling for it's power level, better or worse than a precon?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
So now that you've played this a bit, what's your feeling for it's power level, better or worse than a precon?
Better than many precons, some of them will stomp it though. I was doing more in games than bad decks, but the deck has no game at all vs. a tuned deck with removal spells that can go over the top.

The power floor of just having zirda and kenrith is absolutely huge.

I think if I tuned the land layout a lot more I could make it better; one thing I realized pretty early is that any of the mana sink lands like Kessig Wolf Run are hot garbage because they're worse than Kenrith's abilities.

My guess is if you played this deck vs. a table full of random precons you'd probably win more than your share of games, but it wouldn't be blowouts. And some decks you just cannot beat. like I don't see how the deck beats the eminence decks for example - particularly the stupid cat one. You're not beating 4/4 cats.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”