Yorion, Sky Nomad - Blink once if you're Brago, Blink four or more times if you're Yorion [Retired]

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

This deck has been retired.

Blink Engines
The main idea behind the deck is get an an indefinite blink engine going between certain cards that will "exile a card and return to play".
There are two main flavors of this, return to play immediately or a delayed effect until the beginning of next end step.
Yorion, Sky Nomad is itself one of the types of cards that return the exiled cards at end of the turn.

Felidar Guardian, Restoration Angel are cards that do the blink effect immediately.

Dance of Many, Charming Prince, Flickerwisp, Glimmerpoint Stag, Sentinel of the Pearl Trident, Blizzard Strix, Skybind, are at end of turn delayed effects.

Spark Double and Sakashima the Impostor may not seem obvious a first, but they are creatures that can copy a legendary creature and remain in play, getting around the "legendary" rule of only one of these.
What you can do of course is copy Yorion, Sky Nomad and this will give you the ability to exile non-land cards including Yorion.

What do these Blink Enabler achieve?
The general idea is that with Yorion and one of these cards, you'll get a pattern of exiling and returning cards to play every either every turn including opponents, or alternative turns.

Return to play immediately
Let's look at what happens with Felidar Guardian, Restoration Angel, Wispweaver Angel.
If we have these in play already when we cast Yorion then Yorion will exile them.
At end of turn they will return to play and you can then target Yorion for the exile effect.
He will return to play immediately and then you exile your nonland cards including Felidar Guardian/Restoration Angel/Wispweaver Angel.
However because its already end of the turn, Yorion ability to return those cards at "beginning of the next end step" will actually need to wait until the next players end step.
This results in Yorion remaining in play through opponents main phases, while your other nonland cards remain in exile.
Any sorcery speed effects like removal will not be able to effect the cards you exile. So a Wrath of God for example will kill Yorion, but the rest of your creatures will return to play at the end of the turn.

Beginning of the next end step
Now the other cards that return Yorion at end of turn have a slightly different timing.
Again we cast Yorion say exiling Flickerwisp.
At end of turn Flickerwisp returns to play and you target Yorion.
However this time Flickerwisp is a delayed until "beginning of the next end step", and so we have to wait until a full turn until next players end step/
The result is that this time we will have all the permanents in play during main phases, and its Yorion that remains in exile.
Then we he returns he will exile your nonland permanents, and we get the delay again. So this time round Yorion will remain in play through main phases, and your nonland permanents are in exile.
This is an alternating pattern of whether its Yorion that is in exile, or your other nonland permanents.

If its a 4 player game lets look at the pattern.
Player 1 (you) : Cast Yorion exiling nonland permanents including Flickerwisp.
Player 2 : Nonland permanents in play through main phases. Yorion in exile through main phases.
Player 3 : Yorion in play through main phases. Nonland permanents in exile through main phases.
Player 4 : Nonland permanents in play through main phases. Yorion in exile through main phases.
Player 1 (you) : Yorion in play through main phases. Nonland permanents in exile through main phases.

So in a 4 player game, you'll actually end up with the same players having the same sequence.
Interestly during your own turn the nonland cards that you do exile will not be available to you. So what you should do if you want them in play, say they artifact mana, then you don't exile those at the end of Player 4 turn.

However in a 3 or 5 player game (or any odd number of players) you'll actually get different outcomes of whether its Yorion in play or your nonland permanents during those main phases.

Now if its an even number of players, then what can happen is that if somebody has sorcery speed effects, say removal, they will possible not be able to effect your board, except for Yorion.
So in a 4 player game, Player 3 is not going to be able to cast Hour of Revelation to get your nonland permanents as they'll be exile.
Yorion is in play so they can remove him.
This just has this interesting pattern where seating position makes a huge difference to how the can effect you, and even how you can interact with them.
If you are exiling creatures for example for ETB effects, then you won't have the same number of blockers if you are getting attacked.
You might have artifacts that you tap for mana during opponents turns. When you exile them, they won't be available during a particular players turn.

Now there is another way that you might get a sequence. You might already have Yorion in play and then cast Flickerwisp for example targeting Yorion.
You get the same results of having alternative turns, but this time it'll look like this.

Player 1 (you) : Cast Flickerwisp exiling Yorion.
Player 2 : Yorion in play through main phases. Nonland permanents in exile through main phases.
Player 3 : Nonland permanents in play through main phases. Yorion in exile through main phases.
Player 4 : Yorion in play through main phases. Nonland permanents in exile through main phases.
Player 1 (you) : Nonland permanents in play through main phases. Yorion in exile through main phases.

So it might be that you know Player 4 has a heavy sorcery speed removal deck, and so want to actually wait to play this specific order of what to cast first and blink during your turn.

Protecting your engine
With two blink enablers and Yorion you can look keep all your nonland permanents off the board except and the end of players turns.
This means that literally you'll not have anything exposed to sorcery speed interaction.

Dance of Many is special in that creates this scenario where you get to blink out Yorion and Dance of Many so that you will only have nonland permanents coming into play at end of turn, without having to expose them during opponents main phases.
Dance of Many copies Yorion, then due to the legend rule you choose Yorion to keep. With the sacrifice trigger for Dance, you just make sure to have Yorion blink effect resolve first and you can blink out the Dance of Many before you have to sacrifice it. Keep doing this every end step.

You can also use the flash blink creatures in Sentinel of the Pearl Trident or Blizzard Strix to get the same pattern by if Yorion is coming into play at end of turn, you can flash them in with Yorion trigger on the stack.
Sentinel of the Pearl Trident/Blizzard Strix targets Yorion and then Yorion targets the blink creatures.
So now they both be exiled and both come back into play at the end of the next turn.
But note that Yorion has to have already been blinked to come into play at end of turn. So this does suggest that you have already played a blink creatures.
If you were to simply try and flash in Sentinel of the Pearl Trident/Blizzard Strix with Yorion in play, then it will blink out Yurion, but Yurion won't return until the end of the next turn, so its just the same as casting a blink enabler at sorcery speed.
However Sentinel of the Pearl Trident/Blizzard Strix are excellent at also protecting Yorion or another blink enabler against removal if held back for reacting to opponents actions.

Further to getting a setup with having no nonland permanents in play through opponents turns, you can use Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir or Teferi, Time Raveler to make sure that opponents literally can't cast spells during the end of turn when they come into play.
Its virtually impossible for your opponents to do anything to interact with your setup. The would need an onboard answer like a Oblivion Stone.

Because we are looking to have no nonland permanents on the board expect during those end steps, this means that you won't have creatures to block. So eventually we are looking for Glacial Chasm to prevent all damage.
Once the cumulative upkeep becomes a little too much you can look for other blink cards to reset it with Flickerwisp, Skybind.

Enter the Battlefield
The deck is filled with nonland permanents which have enter the battlefield triggers.
I've made a point to prioritize as many low costed effects as possible, preferring them in the 2-3 mana range.
There a some higher costed ETB permanents, but these are more about blink enabling, and also engines for producing more mana.

There is a mix between various card advantages like draw, removal, tutors and mana producers.

Additional mana
One element of the deck that is really important is that you can get much more mana with the blink abilities.
Yorion is able to reset artifacts that provide mana, so there is a emphasis on good artifact mana.
You also want to avoid ones that come into play tapped, as you won't be able to get the benefits.
But its also important to remember if you are blinking them out, then because of the pattern I explained, you are not always going to get the artifacts available through particular opponents turns.
If you were hoping to hold up a counterspell, then you might be out of luck.
However you do get to choose which nonland permanents you exile with Yorion so it is very much a case of managing when you've already tapped them and exiling them, or when you want to just leave them in play so that you can use them during particular opponents turns.

But further to this we have ETB effects that can untap your lands.
Parallax Tide, Peregrine Drake, Treachery can all untap your lands.
This means that you can just keep exiling them and it won't matter if they are in play, you'll get to continuously untap lands.

Skybind is another card that can target lands. So you look to blink a few lands depending on how many enchantments you have in play.
If you have the luxury you can also use Flickerwisp or Glimmerpoint Stag to exile a land, although this would be unlikely as you be realistically using them for a complete blink engine.

Note that Parallax Tide and Skybind can be used to exile your opponents lands for their main phases. I use this quite often to shut opponents out of being able to get back into the game by restricting their mana.

Flash...ah ha...it'll save everyone of us!
Because you have such a high chance of untapping your lands, or getting additional mana from your artifacts, there are some flash enablers so that you can make use of the mana during opponents turns.

Leyline of Anticipation allows any card to be played and great if in your starting hand.
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir allows you to cast creatures with flash, and also shuts off opponents from trying to cast anything at instant speed, which is great when most interactions are happening during the end steps.
Winding Canyons allows you to cast creatures.
Emergence Zone is a once off effect, but good if you have a lot of cards you want to deploy when you get additional mana engines setup in opponents turn.

This isn't exactly flash, but is probably the best single card you can have once you get a blink engine going with Scroll of Fate.
Because you are gaining so many cards with your ETB effects, you'll have a stocked hand, so its just a case of deploying them.
With Scroll of Fate, you can put any card into play face-down, even lands. When Yorion blinks the face-down card it'll return to play face up.
At the same time you blink Scroll of Fate so that it returns to play untapped. With a blink engine going, you get to put a permanent into play ever players turn, even if that just means land ramping. Trust me this is insane!!

ETB Disruption
Some of the effects have a specific wording in that they put cards into exile but have the stipulation "When this card leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control."
At first this doesn't seem the best to be continuously blinking them, as your opponents just get the cards back.
They are Journey to Nowhere, Leonin Relic-Warder, Oblivion Ring, Fiend Hunter, Detention Sphere.

However there is some special timing that you can use with these.
If for example you have Felidar Guardian, Restoration Angel as part of you blink engine, as long as you stack the ETB a certain way you can in fact exile opponents cards permanently.
The trick is that you target your opponents card(s) and make sure that they will be last to resolve (last in first out).
Then the trigger you want to execute first is the Yorion blink on the your own cards.
What happens is that because your exile cards (Oblivion Ring, etc) leave play before the exile effect happens, the card won't be considered to "leaves the battlefield" (because its already happened) and your opponents card will get exiled forever.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Note that there are lots of cards that have similar wording but do not work in the same way as the cards I've specifically included.
Lets look at Banisher Priest.
When Banisher Priest enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until Banisher Priest leaves the battlefield.
It would appear to be similar, but because the clause is all in a single sentence, if the Banisher Priest leaves the battlefield before the exile trigger resolves, the exile effect simply won't happen.
Act of Authority and Reality Acid will simply remove permanents each time, no special timing needed.

Venser, Shaper Savant can return any permanent to hand. Note that its not easy to return spells if Venser is already part of the blink engines, as most of the time its happening at end of turns.
But with some of the blink enablers like Eldrazi Displacer you can use it at instant speed.

Vendilion Clique can be used to try and get rid of problematic cards each turn from various opponents. You can even use it on yourself if your wanting to dig for particular cards.

The Best of the Rest
Archaeomancer can keep return counterspells or whatever.
You can even return Eerie Interlude so that you get blink engine going without Yorion if need be. You can just keep doing this each players turn as long as you have the mana.

There are creatures that can search for various cards, and you can get amazing value out of them; Knight of the White Orchid, Recruiter of the Guard, Spellseeker, Solemn Simulacrum.

How to Win?
You just overwhelm your opponents with card advantages and constant removal that winning simply becomes a case of grinding people out of threats.
You can eventually beat down with your creatures once you have a lock on the game, and a number of them do have reasonable power and flying.

Remember that once you have a two blink enablers and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir or Teferi, Time Raveler going its virtually impossible to interact with your incredible engines. And Glacial Chasm protects you from all damage.

Whats not in the deck?
There are a lot of amazing ETB cards in Azorius that are tempting.
Lavinia of the Tenth, Mulldrifter, Cloudblazer, Sun Titan, Agent of Treachery are examples of these, but being 5 or more mana really makes it hard to deploy them in a timely manner when Yorion is 5 mana also.
I've really tried to keep low cost cards so that you can curve up towards Yorion.

Other single use per turn blink effects like Soul Herder, Thassa, Deep-Dwelling and even Brago, King Eternal have also been avoided. The do have use, but they are not quite as effective as the other blink engines, as you can get ETB from all your permanents, every players turn, rather than just the once each turn round.
Brago, King Eternal even has the additional issue that you might not even have your nonland permanents in play due to the sequencing.

There a few more blink enablers in Oath of Teferi, Wispweaver Angel, Deadeye Navigator. But the deck has plenty already and its going to be more of a case of keeping Yorion alive, rather than if you have access to one of them most games.

Yorion, Sky Nomad

Commander

Land Untappers

Flash enabler

Planeswalkers

Manifest

Enchantments (other)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 26 times in total.

Tags:

DementedKirby
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DementedKirby » 4 years ago

Nice deck! I'm actually brewing a Yorion deck myself but wanting to take it in a similar direction of "pseudo" phasing or phasing lite. Because you're basically getting your things back in alternating turns but getting all the advantage from it. I want to see how it compared to my Brago deck because Brago is instant gratification whereas Yorion is a delayed gratification. There's just so many different interactions with the deck that it just seems to fun to pilot. I'm still in the experimental stage where I'm still tinkering with which interactions I'm going to finally leave in the deck before I actually test it in action. But in theory it's looking so fun. It's also going to be quite bewildering to opponents because if they want to interact with you, they have to really plan ahead of strike deals with other opponents because they might not even be able to do anything to our things in their own turn (or anyone else's) unless it's spells and abilities as instant speed.
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

darrenhabib

DementedKirby wrote:
4 years ago
Nice deck! I'm actually brewing a Yorion deck myself but wanting to take it in a similar direction of "pseudo" phasing or phasing lite. Because you're basically getting your things back in alternating turns but getting all the advantage from it. I want to see how it compared to my Brago deck because Brago is instant gratification whereas Yorion is a delayed gratification. There's just so many different interactions with the deck that it just seems to fun to pilot. I'm still in the experimental stage where I'm still tinkering with which interactions I'm going to finally leave in the deck before I actually test it in action. But in theory it's looking so fun. It's also going to be quite bewildering to opponents because if they want to interact with you, they have to really plan ahead of strike deals with other opponents because they might not even be able to do anything to our things in their own turn (or anyone else's) unless it's spells and abilities as instant speed.
I can tell you now from being a Brago and Aminatou player that the interaction during other players turns makes this way more fun.
You get to literally dictate how turns play out waaaaay more.
I thought I'd be using Parallax Tide more on my lands, but I've ended up using it to try and keep opponents off particular lands.

Its literally having Brago blinks every players turn not just your own, so if you can imagine that.
So if somebody doesn't have an answer specifically for Yorion, Sky Nomad, then after just 1 turn its the same as 4 turns with Brago.
Even if you look at Brago costing 4 mana, he still has to wait a turn to attack. Yorion costs 5 but you get the train going straight away. So in many respects they are active on the same turn.
But you do need the blink enabler to get the "every players turn", so there is a luck element I guess, although I've only had to wait a single game to actually draw into one in a timely manner.
So you are very likely to get the engine going.

The only thing I wish the deck had was more ways to use my mana during opponents turns. I've only got 3 flash enablers.
I'm going to play Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir as both a flash enabler for creatures and also a way to protect against instants.

Another couple of cards I could look at is Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage or even Shimmer Myr.
But just like Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, I have to make sure I can get enough use out of them
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir suggests more creatures, where as Raff and Shimmer suggest artifacts.

Raff even suggests legendary so I looked up candidates;
Fblthp, the Lost, Oath of Jace, Lavinia of the Tenth, Llawan, Cephalid Empress, Syr Elenora, the Discerning, Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign.
Toothy, Imaginary Friend would require that you have another draw enabler to blink in order to get a +1/+1 counter on it.
Emry, Lurker of the Loch could be used to mill yourself a lot looking for some specific artifact.
Urza, Lord High Artificer is also a mana sink, and would keep producing constructs that get larger and larger.
Skyship Weatherlight is interesting in that you can just search for a single artifact and retreive it, and then blink it ot again so that its never "random". So a very viable mana sink if you have specific targets.

Artifacts that peaked my interest are;
Arcum's Astrolabe, Phyrexian Revoker, Pithing Needle, Sorcerous Spyglass, Skyscanner, Alchemist's Vial, Elsewhere Flask, Golden Egg, Guild Globe, Ichor Wellspring, Prophetic Prism, Witching Well.

Phyrexian Revoker represent a way to disrupt opponents as well. You could look at cards like Nevermore to shut off casting spells at alternative turns, but its far easier when you have information already.
Blindly naming cards is a very hit or miss. Plus Phyrexian Revoker is a creature.

With Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir and Ghostway/Eerie Interlude and other cards that target your creatures, I should have more of an emphasis on creature ETB where possible, without losing out on too much cheap value on other card types

DementedKirby

Post by DementedKirby » 4 years ago

Those are some very spicy swaps, indeed. I was going to suggest adding things to bank mana so you have access to it during your turn (cards like Gemstone Array and/or Iceberg).
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

So I was thinking hard about this deck and one thing that jumped into my mind was trying to build basically Azorius Skybind/Parallax Wave/Opalescence. Wave/Opalescence combo can then get you to Tide/delete all their lands.

Skybind specifically lets you do all kinds of filthy things if you get your enchantment quota up -- like yorion + skybind + resto + a pile of enchantments becomes a pretty strong soft lock wherein you blink all their lands and stuff. Combined with untapping Sanctum and Nykthos you can do some real damage.

Do you think a more enchantment heavy build of this is feasible? Kind of using my Golos Parallax wave deck as a starting platform:

https://deckbox.org/sets/2423059

Couple interesting gimmicks I was considering with that are cards like: To dig dig dig through your deck -- essentially the combination of ancestral knowledge lets you stack "dig 10" before drawing a card off of spreading seas or whatever, and then shuffle. Combined with scroll rack untapping every time Yorion blinks for example you could set up some pretty ridiculous amount of dig.

darrenhabib

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
So I was thinking hard about this deck and one thing that jumped into my mind was trying to build basically Azorius Skybind/Parallax Wave/Opalescence. Wave/Opalescence combo can then get you to Tide/delete all their lands.

Skybind specifically lets you do all kinds of filthy things if you get your enchantment quota up -- like yorion + skybind + resto + a pile of enchantments becomes a pretty strong soft lock wherein you blink all their lands and stuff. Combined with untapping Sanctum and Nykthos you can do some real damage.

Do you think a more enchantment heavy build of this is feasible? Kind of using my Golos Parallax wave deck as a starting platform:

https://deckbox.org/sets/2423059

Couple interesting gimmicks I was considering with that are cards like: To dig dig dig through your deck -- essentially the combination of ancestral knowledge lets you stack "dig 10" before drawing a card off of spreading seas or whatever, and then shuffle. Combined with scroll rack untapping every time Yorion blinks for example you could set up some pretty ridiculous amount of dig.
I just explain some interactions as a way to clarify things for this thread in general. It my way of talking out loud to clear things for me as well as timing of flicker effects is by faaaaaaaar the most important and hardest to wrap your head around. So far a lot of it for me has just been trial, success and a lot of error by playing games.
Parallax Wave and Parallax Tide are their own animal in the deck. The are not actually ETB effects themselves.
So this means that you cannot try the same trick of stacking exile effects of things like Oblivion Ring to permanently exile cards.
That's fine, the do have very special roles in the deck still.

Say you have Yorion and Parallax Wave. When Yorion enters the battlefield you can target the Parallax Wave. You can then in response exile Yorion and other ETB creatures.
Then the Parallax Wave will leave the battlefield and Yurion comes back into play along with those other creatures.
Yurion can then target those creatures again. At end of turn those creatures come back into play along with the Parallax Wave.
So you can get the ETB effects of all your creatures twice in that same turn, which could be a big factor if say you are looking to use double disruption before an opponents turn.
But this is only a once off blink effect. You don't have a way to blink either Yurion or the Parallax Wave again. You need a way to remove Parallax Wave in order to exile Yurion and bring it back into play.
But when you already have a blink enabler like Flickerwisp then you can look to use Parallax Wave as getting a double dose of ETB in a single turn OR as a way to protect your creatures by putting them all in exile, including Yorion.
You have Parallax Wave in play and Yurion and say cast Flickerwisp.
You can target the Parallax Wave with Flickerwisp. Parallax Wave in turn exiles Yurion and Flickerwisp.
Parallax Wave leaves play and Flickerwisp and Yurion come back into play. Flickerwisp targets Yurion.
At end of turn Yurion and Parallax Wave come back into play. Wave targets Yurion.
Yurion targets Parallax Wave and Flickerwisp. So now you have exactly no nonland permanents in play. Meaning its impossible to target your board through opponents turns with sorcery speed effects.
And you can keep doing this. At the end of opponents turn, they all come back into play.
As long as you target Parallax Wave with either Flickerwisp or Yurion (doesn't matter), and exile both Flickerwisp and Yurion with the Wave, then when Wave leaves play Flickerwisp and Yurion come back into play immediately, and then they can both target each other, meaning they will not come back into play until the end of the next turn. So now you have all 3 cards in exile.

As an added bonus you can use the other 3 counter on Parallax Wave to in fact exile opponents creatures that they may want for their turn.

If you can get a situation where your blink enabler (end of turn) and Yurion are both coming back at the end of turn, they they target each other, which means that they will be "hidden" through opponents main phases.
However the way this has to happen is when you end up casting another blink enabler, to exile whatever is in play initially.

Interestingly an immediate returns to play like Felidar Guardian, Restoration Angel, Wispweaver Angel cannot be done in the same manner as hiding Yurion through opponents turns.
The best mix is one end of turn, and an immediate as it means that you can double up on ETB effects of a card in play each turn.

To your original question about enchantment heavy version, there certainly are a lot of great enchantment ETB effects.
So the question is more about what are the payoffs of playing enchantments?

Certainly the Opalescence or Starfield of Nyx interactions are excellent with Parallax Wave.
You can exile all your opponents creatures as standard.
But you can also use these combinations as a blink enabler.
The advantage of this combination of cards is that you can have them all sitting in play and react at instant speed to whatever opponents are doing.
You can exile Yurion with the Parallax Wave at anytime. Then when you want to bring Yurion back into play you exile Parallax Wave targeting itself. It leaves play and will return immediately. Now you can target the Parallax Wave with Yurion.
You could exile Yurion, but as soon as the first Yurion trigger resolves removing the Parallax Wave, Yurion would just return to play immediately. So you won't be able to protect Yurion at this stage until end of the turn.
At end of the turn Parallax Wave will return to play, so you'll be all setup again.
Just avoid exiling Yurion forever by not letting the exile effect resolve first before you removing the Parallax Wave targeting itself :P

Other payoff for enchantments in Azorius that I can think of are..
Archon of Sun's Grace, Auramancer, Copy Enchantment, Estrid's Invocation.

Replenish and Open the Vaults are great ways to offer back up. And I do love mill plans and using Mystic Sanctuary as way to get access to them if they do get milled.
Fraying Sanity, Fleeting Memories, Thassa's Devourer are enchantments that can fuel your graveyard for this.
But honestly I play an Estrid the Masked deck that is way more focused on this type of payoff and Yorion, Sky Nomad just is geared towards other plans imo.

Enchanted Evening may have synergies, but can't think of any myself.

Skybind doesn't offer any additional ETB once you have the Yurion engine going, because they are all at end of turn, so its only useful as a blink enabler, or if Yurion isn't online (hated out), and you are using it as a way to get value blinks.

The only other enchantment thing I could think of is that the "can't be cast" enchantments are better at targeting particular opponents.
Gideon's Intervention, Nevermore, Null Chamber can be used to name new cards each time.
Glasses of Urza, Ingenious Thief, Sorcerous Spyglass, Talas Explorer, Telepathic Spies, Vendilion Clique, Telepathy are ways to get better information on what to name.
The problem with this setup however is that you have to leave the Nevermore cards in play which just means they can be removed.
You also get the alternative pattern on blinks, so some opponent(s) will not be able to be targeted each round.

Alright after spending a game waiting ages for a card advantage enabler, I decided my inclusion of Phyrexian Revoker was a little too much when you are in the driver seat, and you really want more ways to draw cards.
The deck has a lot of ETB disruption already and you really want an early card advantage play when you cast Yorion.

So Induced Amnesia is an interesting idea. Its going to guarantee that you always have action. If you are good to go already, then of course you don't need to trigger it again.
It would be better still if you had actual removal for it. Cavalier of Dawn, Enlightened Ascetic, Monk Realist, War Priest of Thune.

I really want to avoid too many "scry" effects as you really want the "draw". I have Thassa's Oracle and sometimes you are looking at 6 or so cards. Its fine leaving a particular card on top, but honestly you need to have the draw with it, otherwise it almost does nothing, as you are hoping to get one of your tutor creatures online, which is just going to shuffle your library.
Ancestral Knowledge is the king-daddy of top of deck manipulation, but I honestly play Spreading Seas over it, and you'll notice I've had to cut that to make room for the configuration of my deck.

I've realized that with Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir or Teferi, Time Raveler and two blink enablers to hide all your permanents, that its literally impossible for your opponents to interact with your nonland permanents!!
Like this is a real goal.
The downside is that you don't have blockers for creatures.
So as a very cheesy inclusion I'm including Glacial Chasm as a way to hit this ultimate goal. I'm just considering it a spell rather than a land slot. Also Kor Haven.

Stonehorn Dignitary could be used for combat in this manner, but it doesn't protect you against damage spells. Not that is too much of a major factor. Also its kind of nice if opponents can still attack other players. But it definitely an option.

pokken

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Skybind doesn't offer any additional ETB once you have the Yurion engine going, because they are all at end of turn, so its only useful as a blink enabler, or if Yurion isn't online (hated out), and you are using it as a way to get value blinks.
My thinking here is you could use the skybind pile of triggers to lock people out essentially; supposing you have:
5 enchantments + yorion + skybind

If you yorion, blinking all your stuff, then they all come back at end step you can:
* Skybind yorion
* skybind the 5 most threatening things of your next opponent (and they come back at their next endstep)

Next endstep, Yorion comes back and blinks all the enchantments again, then the next endstep someone else's crap gets 5 slow blinks not coming back until your next turn.

Once you assembled enough enchantments you could essentially lock two players out per turn cycle.

-------------------------------------------------------

Skybind also acts as kind of a build your own crappy seedborn muse in that you can yorion your enchantments, then slow blink your lands, leaving you with X = enchantments untapped lands every other turn cycle. I've used that to great effect with high mana lands with heliod, god of the sun in the past -- since you can mash out tons of enchantments blinking people's crap.

This is particularly good also with maze lands since you can skybind some stuff and untap your mazes / reset your glacial chasm / etc.

And as you noted pretty grotesque with mystic sanctuary presuming you're set up for it.

Combined with containment priest this could turn into a machinegun pretty fast as well -- you'd never be subject to it I don't think since you'd skybind Yorion + Priest at the same time?

Another derpy skybind trick might be to slap fall of the thran, although you would need to do something like blink a bunch of your lands on the turn before yours then untap, fall of the thran blinking another land and then just keep spamming fall of the thran forever.

------------------------------------------------------

Annnnnywhozle, I'll see myself out but I appreciate the brainstorming :)

darrenhabib

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
My thinking here is you could use the skybind pile of triggers to lock people out essentially

Skybind also acts as kind of a build your own crappy seedborn muse in that you can yorion your enchantments, then slow blink your lands, leaving you with X = enchantments untapped lands every other turn cycle. I've used that to great effect with high mana lands with heliod, god of the sun in the past -- since you can mash out tons of enchantments blinking people's crap.

This is particularly good also with maze lands since you can skybind some stuff and untap your mazes / reset your glacial chasm / etc.

And as you noted pretty grotesque with mystic sanctuary presuming you're set up for it.
Oh yeah, I didn't even know that I could target opponents stuff, so focused on just the blink engine :P
I even played a game and I had an enchantment that was triggering it and I was like, "nothing useful to do with that trigger" lol.

And I didn't think about exiling your own lands either.
Combined with containment priest this could turn into a machinegun pretty fast as well -- you'd never be subject to it I don't think since you'd skybind Yorion + Priest at the same time?
Hmm, but if you've exiled the Containment Priest and opponents stuff, then they would all come back at the same time.
You're going to have to explain the timing you have in mind?

Specific ruling
If Containment Priest enters the battlefield at the same time as other creatures, its ability won't affect those creatures.
Another derpy skybind trick might be to slap fall of the thran, although you would need to do something like blink a bunch of your lands on the turn before yours then untap, fall of the thran blinking another land and then just keep spamming fall of the thran forever.
I was going to say its a shame that Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage doesn't allow enchantment flash, except for Sagas.
If you have your pseudo Seedborn Muse then its really key to have flash as a way to use the mana.
So Sagas do have potentially more impact in your enchantment focused build with Raff.
Elspeth Conquers Death.
The Mirari Conjecture is a fine substitute for Archaeomancer, or as well as if you have enough instant targets.
The Birth of Meletis can get you a land drop for your turn in the Fall of the Thran lock.

You can setup Fall of the Thran so that the second Saga activates on your turn. So at least you get a couple of lands for your main phases. It does mean that opponents can cast instants with their 2 lands as well however.
Hint: Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir and Teferi, Time Raveler are really good in this deck :P

pokken

Elspeth conquers death is utterly savage with yorion. Oof.

darrenhabib

Finally went on EDHREC to see what popular cards there are and missed some key ones for sure.

Charming Prince is another blink enabler and the cheapest. Literally an all-star for the deck.
Sentinel of the Pearl Trident is another one and has flash, which makes this perfect as backup protection as well.

Scroll of Fate is something that I should have thought about as I run it in my Aminatou deck, but this card is on another level with Yorion, Sky Nomad.
You can blink the Scroll of Fate so you get to put cards into play face down each players turn (with the engine going) and then just blink them to turn them face up.
I mean this card does everything you want! You can even just put lands into play off it. Insane.

Thalakos Seer is just another two mana play that draws you a card.

pokken

Ey Darren, do you know how Dance of Many works with Yorion if you copy him?

My thinking is:
Dance enters, trigger to create token goes on the stack, resolves
Yorion copy enter. State based actions are checked and Yorion token copy dies. Then you put both triggers on the stack in the order you choose (the dance sacrifice from the token dying, and the ETB from the Yorion token, and can blink dance before its trigger resolves?

Sorry for a rules question in the thread, but I am thinking that Dance of Many if it works how I am thinking is another very cheap way to get the slow blink engine online.

And possibly even better, since it can blink yorion and everything at the same time so they come back every turn, e.g.:

Yorion, blink nothing
Dance, blink yorion and everything
end step: everything comes back, repeat

But I'm not 1000% sure that we get to choose the order of stacking dance and token yorion ETB so figured this'd be a good place to ask :P

darrenhabib

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Ey Darren, do you know how Dance of Many works with Yorion if you copy him?

My thinking is:
Dance enters, trigger to create token goes on the stack, resolves
Yorion copy enter. State based actions are checked and Yorion token copy dies. Then you put both triggers on the stack in the order you choose (the dance sacrifice from the token dying, and the ETB from the Yorion token, and can blink dance before its trigger resolves?

Sorry for a rules question in the thread, but I am thinking that Dance of Many if it works how I am thinking is another very cheap way to get the slow blink engine online.

And possibly even better, since it can blink yorion and everything at the same time so they come back every turn, e.g.:

Yorion, blink nothing
Dance, blink yorion and everything
end step: everything comes back, repeat

But I'm not 1000% sure that we get to choose the order of stacking dance and token yorion ETB so figured this'd be a good place to ask :P
Well I can indeed confirm that's how it works, I just tried it on MTGO now! :)

The amazing thing is that it single handily creates the scenario where you can have all your permanents blinked out during turns as you say.
Wow, just wow.

Any other cards that create tokens that are permanents?

Remove

pokken

I built my draft of it and can't seem to get the hang of clicking things right wiht it yet, so far exiled yorion to the zone with resto and misclicked all of ancestral knowledge, etc.

But thanks for checking that. I cannot think of anything that behaves like dance. It's really a weird template.

darrenhabib

Found myself in a few games now where I had the capacity to setup a blink engine but didn't have any proper card advantages, especially draw.
So just a few changes to have more cheap draw blink targets. Its definitely the sort of thing you want to be doing in your early turns, so need a good number of them.

I figured that Mystic Remora can be reset potentially, so is still a good card to have.

pokken

I am finding that myself that you *really* want a thing who draws a card in the first few turns. Every hand where I drew Sisay's Ingenuity or Wall of Omens I was able to go nuts, and without them I often stall.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”