Kalamax, the Stormsire goes Berserk

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 4 years ago

Kalamax goes Berserk

Spellslinger is one of the archetypes I struggled with. I like long interactions, but they tend to bore the others. In addition to that most of my attempts lacked a proper wincondition, because me and my group don't use combo finishes.
When Kalamax was spoiled, I was hooked! He offers a spellsling-y voltron-y deckplan that uses cards you don't see that often. Green's ramp paired with Red's damage outlets and Blue's control elements sounds just great!

I own most of the expensive cards but try to keep the deck in a budget. That's the reason, I don't play the name-giving card atm: Berserk. If this deck prooves its value and fun, this will be a later addition. Same goes for the mana base.

Kalamax goes Berserk

//Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Strategy

//Berserks
These are cards that support Kalamax' "Berserk"-style: They double his damage output, make him hard to block or just send the damage to my opponents faces via Soul's Fire.

//Tappers
Kalamax needs to be tapped. Hopefully this can be achieved via attacking, but there are other options. There are even lands (Survivors' Encampment and Holdout Settlement) that help him!

//Doublers
Doubling or even quadrubling the fun seems like a good thing. I don't use any Twincastvariants to avoid comboing out accidently.

//Counter
One of the greatest problems of voltron decks is the ubiquity of removal. I play several counters to combat that.

//Removal and Draw
Doubling removal and draw seems allright. I try to use mostly Instants to use Kalamax as often as possible.

//Profiteurs
Every deck needs a plan B, so I run some other creatures that profit from casting spells or drawing cards.

The deck is in its earliest stages, so any help is highly appreciated!

Tags:

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Burning Anger gives you a way to tap and deal damage outside of combat. maybe worth considering. Expensive and risky though.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 4 years ago

Hm, five mana seems like... a lot. Unfortunately there aren't may cards even less instants that deal damage to players based on the power of target creature...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”