Jegantha, the Wellspring // Sisay, Weatherlight Captain - [Companion // Commander Pairing]

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I've been going through the exercise of brewing decks that meet the requirements of having certain companions that you can have as part of your "sideboard" so that you have access to casting them from the zone once per game.

I've already done Zirda, the Dawnwaker as a companion along with Kenrith, the Returned King. You can check out the list here => viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24764&p=74556#p74556

Companion
Jegantha, the Wellspring require that you don't have any cards in the deck that have the same mana symbol in the casting cost. This means that you can't have something like Force of Will in the deck as it has uu as part of the casting cost.
You also can't use the mana it taps for colorless mana of any kind. It has to be on colored mana only.

Commander
The way the deck works is that we are looking to combo win on the turn we cast Jegantha, the Wellspring with the intentions that we already have Sisay, Weatherlight Captain in play.
If you can tap Jegantha, the Wellspring straight away then that means you can activate Sisay. Sisay will have 4 power with Jegantha give two color of mana, so you can search for 3 or less legendary permanent.

There are a lot of ways to give your creatures haste in the deck, so that you don't have to wait another turn to tap the Elk for mana.
Sisay can actually search for a multitude of them, so its better to be patient and search for one of them first before casting Jegantha, the Wellspring.

I've had a Sisay, Weatherlight Captain for awhile now, and posted my list back on MTGSalvation which you can still check out here => https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... sts/811613
It has more of a focus on reacting to what opponents are doing, rather than focusing on full combo.
However this meant that I had already spent time working out sequences to win with her.
But I've had to get inventive and find slightly different ways as some of the cards didn't meet the requirements of playing Jegantha, the Wellspring as your companion. Specifically Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God which has triple bbb in the cost.

I'll give you the main example sequences you are looking to do, although it must be noted that there are "backup cards" in the deck in case you've draw them (and don't want to cast) or they have been put into your graveyard or exiled.

This creates an infinite loop.
1.) Cast Sisay, Weatherlight Captain.
2.) Cast Jegantha, the Wellspring and with a haste enabler tap to add wubrg.
Sisay, Weatherlight Captain gets +2/+2 with Green and Red {r/g} colored permanents.
3.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner.
4.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
5.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter.
6.) Aminatou, the Fateshifter -1 on Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner.
7.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
8.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Oath of Teferi.
9.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
10.) Aminatou, the Fateshifter -1 on Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner.
11.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.
12.) Teferi, Hero of Dominaria +1 to draw a card.
13.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
14.) Teferi, Hero of Dominaria -3 to put Aminatou, the Fateshifter into library.
15.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter.

At this stage you use one Aminatou, the Fateshifter activation on Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner and the other on Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.
This means that you can activate Sisay searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter and another legendary permanent of your choice each loop.
You can literally just keep looping and get infinite mana from lands by targeting them with one activation of Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner, the other activation will still target Jegantha, the Wellspring just so you have the mana to search for Aminatou, the Fateshifter each time.
This means you'll get mana that you can spend on colorless mana, not just Jegantha, the Wellspring mana which can't be spent on generic mana.

16.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for The Chain Veil, then tap to get additional planeswalker activation's.
17.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Ral Zarek.

You can just use an additional Aminatou, the Fateshifter activation on Ral Zarek to get infinite activation's and deal damage to all your opponents with Ral Zarek -2.

If you wanted to you can just cast Jegantha, the Wellspring without a haste enabler and wait a round hoping that opponents don't remove it during their turns.
However the better option is to just use Sisay, Weatherlight Captain instead to get a haste enabler.
There are plenty of these. You can get Hall of the Bandit Lord as a land if Sisay only has 2 power still.
Other options if you do have other cards in play giving Sisay more power are; Chainer, Nightmare Adept, Arlinn Kord, Domri, Chaos Bringer, Sarkhan Vol.

If Jegantha, the Wellspring is killed then you can use Sisay, Weatherlight Captain to search for either Chainer, Nightmare Adept, Kethis, the Hidden Hand, Volrath's Stronghold as a ways to get it back.

There are also backup creatures in Bloom Tender and Faeburrow Elder that as long as you have all five colors in play you can tap for wubrg as well, allowing the same combos.

The deck has a lot of fast mana, so your ability to combo on Turn 4 is extremely high.

Decklist

Legends (haste enablers)

Sorcery (mana)

Hand to library

Graveyard retreval

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 22 times in total.

Tags:

Theoric

Post by Theoric » 4 years ago

You'll need to take out force of vigor.
This deck is a blast hey? I really like your take on it.
I've found Gideon, Martial Paragon to be great for untapping and pumping up your creatures, and I seem to be the only person in the world who plays Generator Servant but it lets you cast Jegantha 1-2 turns earlier with haste.

darrenhabib

Theoric wrote:
4 years ago
You'll need to take out force of vigor.
This deck is a blast hey? I really like your take on it.
I've found Gideon, Martial Paragon to be great for untapping and pumping up your creatures, and I seem to be the only person in the world who plays Generator Servant but it lets you cast Jegantha 1-2 turns earlier with haste.
Oops. I'm going to play Generator Servant is perfect for the concept.

If I'm finding I need another untapper for consistency then I'll use Gideon, Martial Paragon :)

Theoric

I think you can do those Jegantha sequences more efficiently, and with using fewer card slots. One key point is Aminatou's exile/return ability is the most powerful, and it's a lot more useful to use it on an untapping planeswalker than on Derevi. For example

Tap Jegantha - put Kiora, Behemoth beckoner in play. (untap)
Tap Jegantha - put Derevi in play (untap)
Tap Jegantha - put Oath of Teferi in play. (use Kiora to untap again)
Tap Jegantha - put Aminatou in play, bounce Kiora. Use her twice.
Aminatou bounces Kiora again, so you use her twice more.
Then you use those 4 activations to get Samut, Najeela, Heliod, and, after you go infinite-- Iroas.

Plus you don't need even Ral Zarek and the other Kiora unless you want them for redundancy.

darrenhabib

Theoric wrote:
4 years ago
I think you can do those Jegantha sequences more efficiently, and with using fewer card slots. One key point is Aminatou's exile/return ability is the most powerful, and it's a lot more useful to use it on an untapping planeswalker than on Derevi. For example

Tap Jegantha - put Kiora, Behemoth beckoner in play. (untap)
Tap Jegantha - put Derevi in play (untap)
Tap Jegantha - put Oath of Teferi in play. (use Kiora to untap again)
Tap Jegantha - put Aminatou in play, bounce Kiora. Use her twice.
Aminatou bounces Kiora again, so you use her twice more.
Then you use those 4 activations to get Samut, Najeela, Heliod, and, after you go infinite-- Iroas.

Plus you don't need even Ral Zarek and the other Kiora unless you want them for redundancy.
I knew you were more than just a pretty face...well I don't know what you look like, but well done!

Theoric

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I knew you were more than just a pretty face...well I don't know what you look like, but well done!
My face is gorgeous!

I've enjoyed Kinnan, bonder prodigy in my build. He earns his spot by essentially making every mana rock and dork produce double. Plus he's efficient for completing the Sisay color pie and he even earns you extra Jegantha activations (especially if you use Gideon instead of Kiora). Here's a cut/paste from my thread:
tap Jegantha - bring out Derevi, Empyrial Tactician(untap Jegantha) (Sisay is 6/6 now)
tap Jegantha - bring out Gideon, martial paragon (untap all creatures)
tap Jegantha - bring out Oath of Teferi (planeswalkers can be used twice now). Use Gideon a 2nd time to untap creatures.
tap Jegantha - bring out Aminatou, the fateshifter. Exile and return Gideon. Use Gideon to untap creatures.
tap Jegantha - bring out Kinnan, bonder prodigy. Use Gideon to untap creatures a 2nd time.
tap Jegantha - bring out Samut, voice of dissent. Float a w thanks to Kinnan, and use it on Samut to untap Jegantha.
tap Jegantha - bring out something. Let's say Heroes' Podium.
Use Aminatou a 2nd time to exile/return Gideon and use it (and Samut) twice more for 4 more Jegantha activations.
Summary: it's the same result as the one I posted earlier except you also have a Kinnan and 1 other legendary. And if there are subsequent turns, each time I use Gideon I get at least 2 more activations (most likely more since my mana dorks untap).

Which brings me to my next point - what do you do if someone exiles Najeela before your combat step? Maybe something like Heroes podium might be a decent plan B. Or Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist, I put her in mine because of the theme but it would be a funny addition to your army since Iroas gives your creatures menace.

darrenhabib

Theoric wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
My face is gorgeous!

I've enjoyed Kinnan, bonder prodigy in my build. He earns his spot by essentially making every mana rock and dork produce double. Plus he's efficient for completing the Sisay color pie and he even earns you extra Jegantha activations (especially if you use Gideon instead of Kiora). Here's a cut/paste from my thread:
tap Jegantha - bring out Derevi, Empyrial Tactician(untap Jegantha) (Sisay is 6/6 now)
tap Jegantha - bring out Gideon, martial paragon (untap all creatures)
tap Jegantha - bring out Oath of Teferi (planeswalkers can be used twice now). Use Gideon a 2nd time to untap creatures.
tap Jegantha - bring out Aminatou, the fateshifter. Exile and return Gideon. Use Gideon to untap creatures.
tap Jegantha - bring out Kinnan, bonder prodigy. Use Gideon to untap creatures a 2nd time.
tap Jegantha - bring out Samut, voice of dissent. Float a w thanks to Kinnan, and use it on Samut to untap Jegantha.
tap Jegantha - bring out something. Let's say Heroes' Podium.
Use Aminatou a 2nd time to exile/return Gideon and use it (and Samut) twice more for 4 more Jegantha activations.
Summary: it's the same result as the one I posted earlier except you also have a Kinnan and 1 other legendary. And if there are subsequent turns, each time I use Gideon I get at least 2 more activations (most likely more since my mana dorks untap).

Which brings me to my next point - what do you do if someone exiles Najeela before your combat step? Maybe something like Heroes podium might be a decent plan B. Or Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist, I put her in mine because of the theme but it would be a funny addition to your army since Iroas gives your creatures menace.
There are two truly unique cards to the plan Oath of Teferi and Najeela.
Aminatou is also key for shorter sequences, but you can get around it with enough untapping planeswalkers.
So if opponents have removal for Oath or Najeela then its obviously a problem.

Yeah I also noticed that I could an additional Jegantha // Sisay uses from Samut as Kiora, Master of the Depths can untap lands, which would give me the w.
But if I had a mana creature (that produces white) and used Gideon, Martial Paragon instead then you'll get twice the Sisay activation's.

One way to really avoid getting blown out is to just Sisay search for Teferi, Time Raveler before you turn and then there is literally no way for opponents to interact.

darrenhabib

Wait I've figured out something!
With Oath of Teferi and Aminatou, the Fateshifter in play you can get Teferi, Hero of Dominaria and use it to put Aminatou back into the deck.
Each time you do one search of Sisay for Aminatou, you'll get 2 x activation's of an untapping planeswalker and then use the other on Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, so that you can do it again.

You can also use Ashiok, Nightmare Muse to return Aminatou to hand, but you have to exile a card each time, so you'll want some draw planeswalkers as well. Too be honest you don't need infinite anyway so Ashiok, Nightmare Muse would be fine.

Let me just write that out, so that I know I got it correct.

2.) Cast Jegantha, the Wellspring and with a haste enabler tap to add wubrg.
Sisay, Weatherlight Captain gets +2/+2 with Green and Red {r/g} colored permanents.
3.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Derevi, Empyrial Tactician.
4.) Derevi, Empyrial Tactician untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
5.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Kiora, Master of the Depths.
6.) Kiora, Master of the Depths +1 to untap Jegantha, the Wellspring and a land, then tap to add wubrg and w.
7.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Oath of Teferi.
8.) Kiora, Master of the Depths +1 to untap Jegantha, the Wellspring and a land, then tap to add wubrg and u.
9.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter.
10.) Aminatou, the Fateshifter -1 on Kiora, Master of the Depths.
11.) Kiora, Master of the Depths +1 to untap Jegantha, the Wellspring and a land, then tap to add wubrg and b.
12.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.
13.) Kiora, Master of the Depths +1 to untap Jegantha, the Wellspring and a land, then tap to add wubrg and r.
14.) Aminatou, the Fateshifter -1 on Kiora, Master of the Depths.
15.) Teferi, Hero of Dominaria +1 to draw a card.
16.) Teferi, Hero of Dominaria -3 to put Aminatou, the Fateshifter into library.
17.) Kiora, Master of the Depths +1 to untap Jegantha, the Wellspring and a land, then tap to add wubrg and g.
18.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter.
19.) Kiora, Master of the Depths +1 to untap Jegantha, the Wellspring and a land, then tap to add wubrg and w.

At this stage you use one Aminatou, the Fateshifter activation on Kiora, Master of the Depths and the other on Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.
This means that you can activate Sisay for searching Aminatou, the Fateshifter and another legendary permanent of your choice each loop.

Actually with this infinite loop in mind, its far better to go for different win conditions.
You will get infinite draw off Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, so I think just putting in Spark Double into the deck, will give you infinite Animatou activation's and you can use one on say Ral Zarek to deal infinite damage.

The Chain Veil is also a backup to Oath of Teferi.

Theoric

I'm not saying my way is better but this is another way to go about it:
tap Jegantha - derevi - untap
tap - Gideon, Martial Paragon - untap
tap - Oath of Teferi - use Gideon again
tap - Aminatou - flicker Gideon. Use him the first time.
tap - Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy. Use Gideon 2nd time.
tap - Samut. Carry a w and use it with samut to untap Jegantha
tap - Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
Aminatou flickers Gideon resulting in 4 more untaps of Jegantha. Teferi shuffles Aminatou into your library.
tap Jegantha 4 times for Aminatou, Teferi, Time raveler, The Chain Veil, and something else.
At this point you can do this cycle: use Aminatou to flicker Gideon and Teferi, shuffle Aminatou in, and untap Jegantha twice (once to get Aminatou back). And each time you tap Jegantha, Kinnan lets you add a mana that I presume can be used for generic mana. Thus, you generate infinite mana.
With that infinite mana, you use chain veil repeatedly (aminatou flickers it each time you use it) with Gideon to make your creatures huge, then use Gideon's ultimate to tap everyone's creatures and swing for lethal.

Both ways use Derevi, Aminatou, 2x Teferi, and Chain Veil.

Your way also uses these cards: Kiora, and then spark double and ral Zarek or something similar.
My way uses Gideon and Kinnan. Gideon is more powerful than Kiora in multiple ways, and Kinnan isn't a dead draw outside the combo turn - he doubles your mana rocks/dorks early on.

darrenhabib

Theoric wrote:
4 years ago
Your way also uses these cards: Kiora, and then spark double and ral Zarek or something similar.
My way uses Gideon and Kinnan. Gideon is more powerful than Kiora in multiple ways, and Kinnan isn't a dead draw outside the combo turn - he doubles your mana rocks/dorks early on.
I think technically you would just need Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner, Aminatou, the Fateshifter, Oath of Teferi, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, The Chain Veil as the bare minimum for a win package.

Because you can just use Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner to untap lands for infinite mana and eventually get infinite The Chain Veil activation's. You can get infinite Teferi, Hero of Dominaria emblems, and you can also use Aminatou, the Fateshifter to the player with the best nonland permanents, by ultimate her as many times to shift right around the board and then getting your permanents back with the [-1].
Then you can use Teferi, Hero of Dominaria to exile all their lands.
Of course you'd probably just want to add some other planeswalker to finish opponents off instead, but I'm just pointing out technical you just need to sneeze to win once you assemble infinite.

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I think technically you would just need Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner, Aminatou, the Fateshifter, Oath of Teferi, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, The Chain Veil as the bare minimum for a win package.
I was just brainstorming with a buddy on exactly this, and that was the same card combination we came up with. I think it's solid.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Theoric

Hey I was just remembering something. When Urza's Saga came out, I traded everything but my soul to get 4x Sneak Attack and made a deck with the nastiest monsters mtg had to offer. A key component of the deck was Orcish Lumberjack (and to a lesser degree, Tinder Wall). The games would often go like this:
Turn 1: lay a land, orcish lumberjack.
Turn 2: lay a land, tap both lands, sack a forest for mana, cast Sneak Attack. Pay r to cheat out Nicol Bolas, swing for 7 so they discard their hand. They seemed to dislike losing their hand on turn 2 all the time, but deep down I think they liked it. /Disclaimer: no I don't.

Since this deck basically wins whenever you cast Jegantha with haste, those might be good here. I'm definitely gonna consider orcish lumberjack and tinder wall in my deck.

Also, and this is totally random and weird and off topic, but I checked out your Aminatou primer and I have a suggestion for the animation you have for her. If you made her blink, it would be sooooooooo creepy and awesome. Just a thought.
Last edited by Theoric 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

darrenhabib

ZenN wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I was just brainstorming with a buddy on exactly this, and that was the same card combination we came up with. I think it's solid.
I mean the truth is that you don't even need The Chain Veil as you can draw as much of your deck as you like with Teferi, Hero of Dominaria and get infinite mana with Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner. So drawing your deck, its not going to matter what else is really in it, you'll win.

darrenhabib

Theoric wrote:
4 years ago
Hey I was just remembering something. When Urza's Saga came out, I traded everything but my soul to get 4x Sneak Attack and made a deck with the nastiest monsters mtg had to offer. A key component of the deck was Orcish Lumberjack (and to a lesser degree, Tinder Wall). The games would often go like this:
Turn 1: lay a land, orcish lumberjack.
Turn 2: lay a land, tap both lands, sack a forest for mana, cast Sneak Attack. Pay r to cheat out Nicol Bolas, swing for 7 so they discard their hand. They seemed to dislike losing their hand on turn 2 all the time, but deep down I think they liked it. /Disclaimer: no I don't.

Since this deck basically wins whenever you cast Jegantha with haste, those might be good here. I'm definitely gonna consider orcish lumberjack and tinder wall in my deck.

Also, and this is totally random and weird and off topic, but I checked out your Aminatou primer and I have a suggestion for the animation you have for her. If you made her blink, it would be sooooooooo creepy and awesome. Just a thought.
Yeah Orcish Lumberjack and Tinder Wall are good actually.

Ah yeah, I like that blinking idea :) I'll give it a try at some stage, see if I can do it so it looks organic, but I probably won't do it for ages, I'm a bit lazy.

Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rednad
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rednad » 4 years ago

Why would Grand Abolisher be allowed with Jegantha, the Wellspring?
Permanent Commander Decks
Edgar Markov (based upon ISBPathfinder's primer)
Xenagos, God of Revels (based upon plushpenguin's primer)
Karador, Ghost Chieftain (based upon WizardMN's primer)
Emmara, Soul of the Accord
Nicol Bolas, the Ravager

Flex Commander Decks
Greven, Predator Captain (based upon darrenhabib's primer)
Malcolm & Breeches (10$ Storm Deck by Michael Celani)
Edric, Spymaster of Trest (soon to be cEDH powerlevel)
Araumi of the Dead Tide
Thassa, Deep-Dwelling
Phelddagrif

darrenhabib

Alright manage to play a few games of cEDH with the deck, and did nicely actually. Game were very interactive, and I was surprised at how well the planeswalker suite of cards can actually keep you in a game, especially against creature removal, which of course targets your win con commander/companion.

What I realized is how insane the untapping planeswalkers are on Jegantha, the Wellspring without Sisay in play.
The thing is that sometimes opponents have hated Sisay out casting her a few times.
So you just have Jegantha, the Wellspring hanging out in the companion zone and need to do something proactive.
With a haste enabler you just cast it out and add 10 colored mana (with an untapping planeswalker) and then cast the colorless portions with lands or artifacts. So you can still dump plenty of cards onto the table.
On that note Rasputin Dreamweaver is a way of getting colorless mana to cast spells.

I wanted to have one protection legend, because often you are holding up the Sisay for a turn round where your intention is to get Hall of the Bandit Lord or Teferi, Time Raveler, but opponents cast a removal spell on Sisay.
Shalai, Voice of Plenty fills that role nicely, but just searching for it in response.

I just found that even when I had key cards in my hand, that you can just find windows to cast them, and there is a lot of redundancy in the deck, so Scroll Rack is out.

Theoric

Definitely a solid build you got there.

Do you feel grim monolith and fellwar stone are stronger than dockside extortionist in this deck? I haven't experimented with dockside yet but it seems solid.

One very versatile card I use is Saheeli Rai. I might be the only one who uses it but the token she makes is really useful. If you have bloom tender or faeburrow elder, it helps complete the color pie and creates a hasty bloom tender token that I usually combo out with. Or, it could clone derevi and untap Jegantha. Or it could work as a haste outlet--you cast Saheeli the turn before you cast Jegantha, then cast Jegantha and make a Jegantha token with haste and then combo out. The latter is a bit risky but the fact Saheeli can provide either an untap, mana, or haste might make it a better option than a second Kiora.

darrenhabib

Theoric wrote:
4 years ago
Definitely a solid build you got there.

Do you feel grim monolith and fellwar stone are stronger than dockside extortionist in this deck? I haven't experimented with dockside yet but it seems solid.

One very versatile card I use is Saheeli Rai. I might be the only one who uses it but the token she makes is really useful. If you have bloom tender or faeburrow elder, it helps complete the color pie and creates a hasty bloom tender token that I usually combo out with. Or, it could clone derevi and untap Jegantha. Or it could work as a haste outlet--you cast Saheeli the turn before you cast Jegantha, then cast Jegantha and make a Jegantha token with haste and then combo out. The latter is a bit risky but the fact Saheeli can provide either an untap, mana, or haste might make it a better option than a second Kiora.
Saheeli Rai is perfact as a haste enabler for Jegantha!

Dockside Extortionist is a good call, anything that can get you a turn or two early is what I'm aiming for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”