Squee, Goblin Nabob Burn

Mjmirobelli
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mjmirobelli » 4 years ago

I saw a version of this deck years ago on MTG Salvation. I want to thank d0su and rogerandover for all of the insights and card analysis over the years on that thread.

I built a similar deck and have been playing it ever since. It is easily my most enjoyable deck to pilot and manages to win its fair share of games. It's important to note that even though it usually seems to threaten to win or actually win the game, opponents don't seem to hate to play against it.

The deck plays by using looting effects, such as Goblin Lore and Control of the Court, during the early stages of the game - leveraging Squee, Goblin Nabob to generate card advantage. The deck builds to generating massive amounts of mana, typically using Mana Geyser, to go off in a blaze of burning glory using Mizzix's Mastery or Past in Flames to cast all of the burn spells that were discarded earlier in the game.

I would love any thoughts or input onto the deck. The only card that I knowingly omitted for budget reasons is Gauntlet of Might.

Tags:

rogerandover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

Wow! So nice to see someone else playing good ol' Squee. I thought I was the only one (think d0su retired from MtG :( ).

I still manage my deck, but it's a long time since I've played with it, so I havn't tried Underworld Breach yet, but I imagine it does all kind of good things for this deck. Adding more recursion, that even hits crucial enchantments, is something I've wanted for years.
I see you missed a recent upgrade to the deck. Thrill of Possibility is a straight upgrade to many of the looters, if you can't find room for them all.

Another thing I think you should add, would be Drownyard Temple. It's nothing gamechanging, but it's a land you can ditch and then ramp with - we discard alot and we like to ramp as much as possible, so it's a shoe in for me. You could also consider Thawing Glaciers. It works pretty well with Valakut. Thinking of which, is that the reason you play the basic fetchers (Passage and Vista)?

Anyways, really nice to see your decklist, and you can check out my build right here.

Mjmirobelli
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mjmirobelli » 4 years ago

I'm so glad that you found this post! Thank you for all of the advice over the years while I lurked on MTGSalvation. This is the first time I've posted a deck since the days of EssentialMagic in like 2005.

I typically keep 15 Commander decks at a time. My first deck was Ashling the Pilgrim, and I still think about remaking her, eventually I tried changing it to Akroma, Angel of Fury and Lovisa Coldeyes. Squee, Goblin Nabob has been one of constant decks since I saw your posts a few years ago. Most of the others come and go although a few others have managed to carve out permanent spots for themselves in my deck rotation.

You noticed a couple of the cards from my last round of changes, none of which have been tested yet due to quarantine:

Drownyard TempleFabled Passage
Snow-Covered MountainPrismatic Vista
Final FortuneLast Chance
Outpost SiegeUnderworld Breach
Vance's Blasting CannonsDockside Extortionist
Blood MoonBrass's Bounty

I changed Final Fortune for Last Chance because it should work better with Recoup since Last Chance is a sorcery. The sorcery speed is the same reason that I didn't consider Thrill of Possibility for this deck. Is it worth reconsidering? I never used the ability of Drownyard Temple to return it to my hand, so I decided to try switching it out. I honestly didn't even think of Thawing Glaciers, I'll definitely have to give that a look. I'm really looking forward to trying out Underworld Breach.

I like your inclusion of Buried Ruin. Has that worked out well for you?

I didn't realize that you had your deck posted over here too, thanks for sharing. What would be proper etiquette, should I move my deck list under your post and we could discuss there?

rogerandover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

Glad you posted your list. So nice to hear someone else enjoys Squee. It's without a doubt my favourite deck (and I have a fair share to choose from).

I'm not sure about etiquette, but if you would be okay with it, lets move the discussing to my thread :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”