Otrimi, the Ever-Cute

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

My first pass at Otrimi, the Ever-Playful from the new C20 set, possibly the cutest little abomination ever printed. I'll give a disclaimer here: I have no idea how well this idea is going to perform, and probably won't until quarantine ends and I can get out there and playtest it. It is meant to be on the more casual side of things, where I'm just trying to have fun with Mutate, but I don't know how functional what I've thrown together will actually be.

Otrimi, the Ever-Cute

Commander (1)

Artifact (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

Mjmirobelli
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mjmirobelli » 4 years ago

Have you considered about Golgari Grave-troll or Life from the Loam in order to help fill your graveyard of targets for Otrimi, the Ever-playful?

Mjmirobelli

I did a little card research.

I plan to try Lumbering Falls, Svogthos, the Restless Tomb, and probably Creeping Tar Pit. I'm thinking that would be a good way to keep Otrimi, the Ever-Playful safe from most removal - definitely not my original idea, some folks suggested it on a different thread.

That choice kinda led me in the direction of Life from the Loam, Crucible of Worlds and Ranumap Excavator. Because I love the idea of Darksteel Garrison and have never found anywhere to use it, I may try that in this deck as well.

I believe that I read that Otrimi, the Ever-Playful counts as your Commander whether it is mutated on the bottom or bottom of the pile for the sake of Commander damage, is that verified somewhere?

My group generally play either 4 player free-for-all, 3 player free-for-all, or 5 player star Commander games depending on how many people show up. I'm thinking that Otrimi, the Ever-Playful could be really fun in 3 player free-for-all or 5 player star formats.

Airi
Queen of Salt

Mjmirobelli wrote:
4 years ago
Have you considered about Golgari Grave-troll or Life from the Loam in order to help fill your graveyard of targets for Otrimi, the Ever-playful?
The biggest reason is probably a bit of a meta one, but I just built Tayam, Luminous Enigma as well as a couple other people building graveyard decks, and since this is significantly more casual, I don't want to get completely blown out by gravehate. Instead, his ability (to me) is more to just kind of pick up the peaces after your mutate monster bites the dust.
Mjmirobelli wrote:
4 years ago
I did a little card research.

I plan to try Lumbering Falls, Svogthos, the Restless Tomb, and probably Creeping Tar Pit. I'm thinking that would be a good way to keep Otrimi, the Ever-Playful safe from most removal - definitely not my original idea, some folks suggested it on a different thread.

That choice kinda led me in the direction of Life from the Loam, Crucible of Worlds and Ranumap Excavator. Because I love the idea of Darksteel Garrison and have never found anywhere to use it, I may try that in this deck as well.

I believe that I read that Otrimi, the Ever-Playful counts as your Commander whether it is mutated on the bottom or bottom of the pile for the sake of Commander damage, is that verified somewhere?
Yes, it is commander damage.

In the Commander variant, if a commander is part of a merged creature, the resulting creature is a commander. If it leaves the battlefield and the commander is moved to the command zone instead, that permanent and the other cards contained by that permanent go to the appropriate zone while the commander card goes to the command zone.

From the release notes article.

Mjmirobelli

It makes sense to not play Otrimi, the Ever-Playful as dredge/ self-mill if you're already playing something similar.

Thanks for pointing me to the ruling on Mutate and Commander damage. I'll definitely keep an eye on your deck, it has a lot of similar cards that I'm looking to play in mine.

Airi
Queen of Salt

Mjmirobelli wrote:
4 years ago
It makes sense to not play Otrimi, the Ever-Playful as dredge/ self-mill if you're already playing something similar.

Thanks for pointing me to the ruling on Mutate and Commander damage. I'll definitely keep an eye on your deck, it has a lot of similar cards that I'm looking to play in mine.
No problem! :) Sadly, I won't be able to make any major changes to it until I can really play it, and that looks to be a ways off with the current state of things, but I am extremely excited for this deck, and I'm glad to see other people picking up interest in Otrimi as well. ^.^

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”