Winota, Joiner of Forces - More Human than Human [Retired]

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

This deck has been retired.

Here is my take on Winota, Joiner of Forces. I've been a Boros advocate for years, due to wanting to always root for the underdog of commander.

The plot is simple. Use Human creatures that create non-Human tokens and also use lands that can turn into creatures for triggering Winota, Joiner of Forces.

There is lots of protection in the deck, as its so central for Winota to remain in play.
Also protection against all your creatures as board wipes will set you back.

Lots of hate-bear type creatures both Human and non-Human.

Non-human creatures also have been selected between evasion, hate-bears, with some of them generating card advantages as well.

Because Winota allows you to put cards into play without casting, anything that slows down players from casting spells works in your favor.
This is where Ethersworn Canonist, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Eidolon of Rhetoric shine.

There are some ways to protect creatures when they attack, as you want to be able to get in with all your creatures, although they still trigger Winota even if you are suicide attacking.

Scroll Rack helps you to move a Human you might want to put into play off Winota trigger, and with her putting cards onto the bottom, the perfect way to get sculpt your hand each turn.

Winota, Joiner of Forces - More Human than Human

Removal (Humans)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 16 times in total.

Tags:

Wallycaine
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

Very cool build. I like the direction you've built it in, and there's a lot of nice details in here.

My first concern is that you might be too light on ways to trigger her ability, as you're only running ~20 nonland sources of non-human creatures, out of 43 creatures. And some of them, like Silverwing Squadron, take a while to get up and running, since it won't trigger her ability until it's been out for two turn cycles. Relatedly, it looks like you're missing any non-human 1 drop targets for your "of Eos" cards? Adding stuff like Signal Pest, Legion Loyalist, or Goblin Bushwhacker might give you the opportunity to trigger her with cards fetched off those two, which seems like a valuable option.

darrenhabib

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
Very cool build. I like the direction you've built it in, and there's a lot of nice details in here.

My first concern is that you might be too light on ways to trigger her ability, as you're only running ~20 nonland sources of non-human creatures, out of 43 creatures. And some of them, like Silverwing Squadron, take a while to get up and running, since it won't trigger her ability until it's been out for two turn cycles. Relatedly, it looks like you're missing any non-human 1 drop targets for your "of Eos" cards? Adding stuff like Signal Pest, Legion Loyalist, or Goblin Bushwhacker might give you the opportunity to trigger her with cards fetched off those two, which seems like a valuable option.
Wow that was really uncanny, I was taking a walk on the beach and suddenly this thought popped into my head that I should have at least one or two non-Human targets for Ranger-Captain of Eos and Ranger of Eos. I think about Magic a lot :P

I hear you, because ultimately you want to have X number of non-Human creatures in play, so the turn you play Winota you get value.

Here are options that took my interest as well as the 3 you mentioned.
Gingerbrute, Giver of Runes, Gorilla Shaman, Hangarback Walker, Hope of Ghirapur, Ornithopter, Soltari Foot Soldier, Topplegeist, Walking Ballista.

The reason for the Gorilla Shaman is that the deck is super weak to Grafdigger's Cage.
Giver of Runes and Gorilla Shaman are not the best to attack with, but even getting a single trigger off them, say if they are suicide attacks, is fine as you are almost guaranteed to replace them.

I was about to put Hangarback Walker into the deck, but I realized that its just waaay to tempting and probably incorrect to have a creature that you don't attack with if you have Winota in play. So even though it can produce tokens, I feel its just too durdly.

Fury of the Horde was probably a bit ambitions given there are only 17 red cards in the deck.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

A few quick thoughts in return :P

Palace Jailer - This is one of my new favorite mono white cards to run. I even run it in a few other places too. That said, I feel like it belongs more in a defensive / controlling shell and this feels really aggro to me. I really want to feel like I am going to at least hold that target off the board for a full turn if not longer unless my opponents use a bunch of spot removal or have a wave of surprise threats with haste for me. I just feel too much like this deck is going to be the aggressor and its defense will often be that opponents will feel the need to keep back to defend themselves. I don't feel like I can or will be defending the monarch or planeswalkers which is part of why I opted not to run this. I LOVE this card and I totally always want to run it but I like it a lot more in like, my Bruna deck or I was looking at it in the new mardu assassin who also has vigilance.

Darien, King of Kjeldor - I have always felt like he has under performed when I have seen him. If people poke you down over time and don't play control or haymaker / combo I guess its fine.... I just haven't ever seen that kind of a meta. He gives too much control to your opponents if you ask me. Even if you build arround him to lose life to your own abilities I still think he is a bit weak. I have yet to ever be impressed by this card I guess.

Waves of Aggression - I am not sure I like this over Aurelia, the Warleader who gives you this until she dies. I guess there is the advantage that its harder to kill but Aurelia you pay for that effect once and it keeps going where as you pay for it each turn with waves.

I still don't know that I want all the creature tutor creatures. I guess let me know how you like them if and when you ever get around to playing the deck. I know that they are always like..... decent but there is so much value generation assuming we get the commander out and working that I just felt like it wasn't worth the space and time it takes to spin that stuff up.

Sensei's Divining Top - No love for top? I just figured controlling what I draw and pushing the humans down gave me better access to ensuring a human on top and out of my hand. Beyond that though it helps you draw the non humans, lands, and whatever you need. Each time we use the commander's ability its practically like shuffling our library as the top of the library goes away refreshing our pool of available cards. The level of card selection with this seems really good here.

32 Lands????????????? You don't have that many mana stones. I get that you have a little land disruption but this seems really low. Like, to the point that if someone disrupts the commander once you might not recover for several turns. I usually don't dip this low except when running a super lean curve with crazy draw.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

darrenhabib

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Palace Jailer - This is one of my new favorite mono white cards to run. I even run it in a few other places too. That said, I feel like it belongs more in a defensive / controlling shell and this feels really aggro to me. I really want to feel like I am going to at least hold that target off the board for a full turn if not longer unless my opponents use a bunch of spot removal or have a wave of surprise threats with haste for me. I just feel too much like this deck is going to be the aggressor and its defense will often be that opponents will feel the need to keep back to defend themselves. I don't feel like I can or will be defending the monarch or planeswalkers which is part of why I opted not to run this. I LOVE this card and I totally always want to run it but I like it a lot more in like, my Bruna deck or I was looking at it in the new mardu assassin who also has vigilance.
I certainly don't need the draw, so really in for just the disruption. I was thinking that sometimes you want to literally be digging for an answer to the board, and its sort of nice to know that you could hit a Palace Jailer.
I'd be happy to replace with any other Human creature removal, but like Fiend Hunter has its problems as well.
I'll do some more research.
Darien, King of Kjeldor - I have always felt like he has under performed when I have seen him. If people poke you down over time and don't play control or haymaker / combo I guess its fine.... I just haven't ever seen that kind of a meta. He gives too much control to your opponents if you ask me. Even if you build arround him to lose life to your own abilities I still think he is a bit weak. I have yet to ever be impressed by this card I guess.
That is a good call. I've got Ancient Tomb and Mana Crypt, but you are never going to get opponents damaging you while you have him on the board with the power Winota presents.
Waves of Aggression - I am not sure I like this over Aurelia, the Warleader who gives you this until she dies. I guess there is the advantage that its harder to kill but Aurelia you pay for that effect once and it keeps going where as you pay for it each turn with waves.
That is probably better for an additional mana, as you'll get 2 additional triggers from Aurelia as well.
Too be honest these are the only expensive cards in the deck that I'd actually have to cast. I'm just going to cut Waves.
I still don't know that I want all the creature tutor creatures. I guess let me know how you like them if and when you ever get around to playing the deck. I know that they are always like..... decent but there is so much value generation assuming we get the commander out and working that I just felt like it wasn't worth the space and time it takes to spin that stuff up.
I really like that you can get non-Humans with them. I guess I'm a bit addicted to tutoring, but I'll let you know how good they are in the deck.
Sensei's Divining Top - No love for top? I just figured controlling what I draw and pushing the humans down gave me better access to ensuring a human on top and out of my hand. Beyond that though it helps you draw the non humans, lands, and whatever you need. Each time we use the commander's ability its practically like shuffling our library as the top of the library goes away refreshing our pool of available cards. The level of card selection with this seems really good here.
I do have Stony Silence in the deck, but that is a good call, you can get away from being locked on cards on top.
32 Lands????????????? You don't have that many mana stones. I get that you have a little land disruption but this seems really low. Like, to the point that if someone disrupts the commander once you might not recover for several turns. I usually don't dip this low except when running a super lean curve with crazy draw.
I'm playing a lot of "from behind" land plays in Weathered Wayfarer, Verge Rangers, Land Tax, Cartographer's Hawk (and used to have Knight of the White Orchid), so figured that you have a fair amount of ways to just keep up with opponents on lands.
I'll add a land :)

darrenhabib

Pretty nice Turn 4

Then the next game technically won on Turn 2 as my opponents conceded.

Turns out Sol Ring is really good in the deck :P

I haven't been able to play C20 cards yet, so I've just substituted them for small-ball non-Humans for attackers.

And another Turn 3..

Resulting in Turn 4 win
Show
Hide

Artemis132

Post by Artemis132 » 4 years ago

What about more early hate in Kataki, War's Wage ? I guess Linvala, Keeper of Silence is too pricey?

darrenhabib

Artemis132 wrote:
4 years ago
What about more early hate in Kataki, War's Wage ? I guess Linvala, Keeper of Silence is too pricey?
Kataki, War's Wage is a good non-Human creature for sure.

While Commander 2020 cards are not available yet; Verge Rangers, Verge Rangers, Flawless Maneuver, Flawless Maneuver, I've been temporarily playing other cards.
I also haven't been playing Armageddon as people get a bit salty.

I've been running instead; Anax, Hardened in the Forge, Goblin Rabblemaster, Legion Warboss, Goblin Cratermaker, Bomat Courier.

Secure the Wastes has been insane. I've been able to see that opponents have been ready for me to cast Winota, so holding up mana obviously for removal or counter spell or what not. With Secure the Wastes in hand you can just be patient. Eventually your opponents have to tap low/out as they are not progressing their board and then you get them with the surprise 4-5 tokens, which honestly is enough triggers to be a blowout.

So I definitely want one more instant speed token generator. Options are; Decree of Justice, White Sun's Zenith, Entrapment Maneuver, Benevolent Offering.

I like Decree of Justice the best as it can't be countered and draws you a card. Benevolent Offering is the more mana effecient, and honestly could see playing that as well.

I've haven't attacked with a man-land yet, as you just end up tapping out to cast spells. Also on that note its hard to hold up mana for Teferi's Protection and Eerie Interlude during that timely place where the first board wipe might happen, because is so hard to resist getting more non-Humans onto the board.

I would also like a few more ways to protect my creatures during attacks. Options are, Dolmen Gate, Loyal Unicorn, Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant.
Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant looks the best, and if it can't flip its still a non-Human for attacking.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 4 years ago

Is Ruination worth it enough to play for you? If not, is it a meta thing or a power thing?

I want to build an all-out aggro deck with a non-cmdr set general and this is the first card that has interested me in awhile. I want to play it in strong/tuned meta but not full on thassa oracle+consultation meta.

darrenhabib

umtiger wrote:
4 years ago
Is Ruination worth it enough to play for you? If not, is it a meta thing or a power thing?

I want to build an all-out aggro deck with a non-cmdr set general and this is the first card that has interested me in awhile. I want to play it in strong/tuned meta but not full on thassa oracle+consultation meta.
I've took out the Winter Orb, Impending Disaster and Armageddon because I've been playing online and people get pretty salty about land destruction, and I haven't been playing cEDH with it, so you get a bit stuck between who finds the land-d acceptable. So as long as your play group is fine with it, then yeah bring them all on and Ruination for sure.

Magus of the Moon has been amazing as well. Same with Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. What happens is that because you get to put Humans into play off the triggers, it can catch people off guard, as once the hit play its too late for them to react. So the ftechland they might have cracked in response to get their basic is now just a Mountain.
You could probably play Blood Moon in the deck as well to go more competitive.
I've got bugger all non-creature interaction, and this probably needs to be altered for a more competitive meta.
I can help you with a list if you tell me what type of decks you play against?

SirGregarious

Post by SirGregarious » 4 years ago

Hi Darren. I just finished up my first brew of this deck. As always, your list looks great. Here's the list I'm working with right now:
Winota Round 1
Approximate Total Cost:

My playgroup has the following rules for this new round of decks: Lands are free, Ikoria cards are free, no cards over $15. So unfortunately no Magus of the Moon or big artifact ramp for me. I'm not sure what I'm up against yet, so I only took the most generic of hate bears. I have some spice that you might like: Auratouched Mage and Breath of Fury. If you ever end up against an opponent who can't block, this will probably end the game. Any particular feedback you have for me?

darrenhabib

SirGregarious wrote:
4 years ago
My playgroup has the following rules for this new round of decks: Lands are free, Ikoria cards are free, no cards over $15. So unfortunately no Magus of the Moon or big artifact ramp for me. I'm not sure what I'm up against yet, so I only took the most generic of hate bears. I have some spice that you might like: Auratouched Mage and Breath of Fury. If you ever end up against an opponent who can't block, this will probably end the game. Any particular feedback you have for me?
Breath of Fury is such a hard card to get to work. I've tried it in quite a few decks over the years and it always ends up being next to impossible to trigger.

Elemental Mastery could be an alternative Aura, and something the you can attach to Winota if you draw it naturally to make 4 additional triggers each turn.

I've taken out the Stax cards, just because I play the deck in not the most competitive groups and players get pretty salty at mana denial.

Taken out a lot of the man-lands as you are often needing to spend all your mana on spells still each turn.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

A couple random suggestions.

Spirit Bonds can create quite a few extra nonhuman tokens to trigger Winota, while at the same time offering a route to protect her or any other important creature you have.

Tilonalli's Summoner is a human that can create a ton of tokens. You need to hit Ascend to keep them (and get swing triggers next turn from them), but she a;so creates the outlet to get that. (5 lands + her makes 4 tokens = 10 for ascend)

Elemental Mastery is a bit gimmicky, but if you can land it on anything, it creates a plethora of triggers. Putting it just on Winota lets you dig 24 cards in every turn.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

darrenhabib

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 years ago
A couple random suggestions.

Spirit Bonds can create quite a few extra nonhuman tokens to trigger Winota, while at the same time offering a route to protect her or any other important creature you have.

Tilonalli's Summoner is a human that can create a ton of tokens. You need to hit Ascend to keep them (and get swing triggers next turn from them), but she a;so creates the outlet to get that. (5 lands + her makes 4 tokens = 10 for ascend)

Elemental Mastery is a bit gimmicky, but if you can land it on anything, it creates a plethora of triggers. Putting it just on Winota lets you dig 24 cards in every turn.
So much of the game comes down to whether Winota remains on the battlefield, so Spirit Bonds offering protection is definitely worth a try. Also being able to hold back from casting your non-Humans from hand can give you some backup plans against boardwipes, so investing mana into making Spirit tokens is fine.
On that note I should really be playing Lightning Greaves. It can also help to trigger an additional time if you have a non-Human you cast during a turn.

I found Decree of Justice to be a bit too much mana to invest to get value, so Tilonalli's Summoner is another mana sink that is more likely to work.

I did just think of Elemental Mastery today actually, SirGregarious above list has Auratouched Mage, and I was suggesting that Elemental Mastery would be a nice addition to make this plan stronger.
I'm a bit worried about getting 2-for-1 if I try and put the Mastery on Winota. People are figuring out that she is a must get rid of, surprise, surprise.

SirGregarious

Post by SirGregarious » 4 years ago

Got a couple of games in tonight. This deck reminds me a lot of Kaalia of the Vast and Narset, Enlightened Master in how it plays. Not enough games to really evaluate the cards, but I did get Breath of Fury to go off on turn 4 for an infinite with Legion Warboss. Might have just been luck, one of the decks I was playing against was an equally greedy Obosh, the Preypiercer burn deck that didn't have many creatures to block with. The deck looks promising, but this probably isn't going to be anything my table wants to put up with for very long.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

Winota, Joiner of Forces is an incredible card for Boros decks everywhere. Aurelia, the Warleader happens to be a non-human so I was thinking of running Winota in my 99 since she has the potential to generate so much card advantage and there is already a lot of overlap. (decklist link in sig) It would just take a bit of tweaking and a generally a higher creature count.

However.... seeing your turn 3 and 4 wins makes me consider just putting her in the command zone instead! Something for me to mull over. To my eyes, one big issue with Winota is that she doesn't have haste nor any built in evasion or protection for a commander that a deck built around her will be pretty reliant on. Without too many tutors in these colors to fetch up that protection, that could be a problem. The deck can function without her, but is much much slower to build card advantage. Too much commander tax on Winota will kind of knock you out of the game.

Personally, I'm not sure I'm ready to go so creature heavy as Winota is asking for. Feels like putting my eggs in one basket and limiting my options too much. Boros needs all the help it can get. No Austere Command, Smothering Tithe, or Sword of Feast and Famine for example scares me... a lot. I think as a 1v1 commander she is excellent, similar to Kaalia of the Vast but in a competitive multiplayer environment I see her not performing quite as well. I could be wrong.

Some ideas:

Purphoros, God of the Forge even though it's not a human, I feel like you're generating so many tokens and ETBs that this would hit pretty hard. It's nice not to completely rely on combat damage to win. Throne of the God-Pharaoh kind of falls in this same vein, scaling up your damage to a multiplayer setting.

Helm of the Host is a card that probably should never have been printed. It is absolutely insane in a deck like this. But it occurs to me that an equipment themed deck like mine can make a lot more use out of this and circumvent that 5 equip cost which might end up being too steep for Winota.

Boros Charm. I really think this card is great because it protects all permanents for an efficient cost at instant speed.

I notice you don't really have any wipes slotted in and that worries me a bit. Cataclysm (Tragic Arrogance if you don't want the LD) has performed very well for me as semi one sided board wipe. You can also do the time honored trick of making your own army indestructible and then using a more traditional wipe like Wrath of God. Martial Coup, Winds of Abandon, or even Hour of Reckoning might also be some things to consider.

Indestructibility counters a lot of removal, but will not protect you against some of the best removal in the format. I'm thinking about Merciless Eviction, Cyclonic Rift, Toxic Deluge, All is Dust, or Terminus/Unexpectedly Absent like effects. Besides Teferi's Protection, what is your answer to these effects? In these colors the only thing that really comes to mind is the global end of turn blinks: Eerie Interlude or Ghostway. I'm bringing this up because I am also asking myself the same question for my Boros build.

As a side note, I think it's really odd that tokens don't have the human type when they probably should. Hero of Bladehold as an example. She is a "Human Knight" but she makes "1/1 white Soldier tokens"Call the Coppercoats is an example of card that makes tokens with the human creature type as I would expect. Very odd, but it certainly works in Winota's favor!
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Something for me to mull over. To my eyes, one big issue with Winota is that she doesn't have haste nor any built in evasion or protection for a commander that a deck built around her will be pretty reliant on.
She doesn't actually need to attack (and she is a Human so doesn't trigger herself either). So its a just a case of get some non-Humans out, and play her and you get to have triggers the same turn she is played, which is why you can get those very early busted starts.
Personally, I'm not sure I'm ready to go so creature heavy as Winota is asking for. Feels like putting my eggs in one basket and limiting my options too much. Boros needs all the help it can get. No Austere Command, Smothering Tithe, or Sword of Feast and Famine for example scares me... a lot. I think as a 1v1 commander she is excellent, similar to Kaalia of the Vast but in a competitive multiplayer environment I see her not performing quite as well. I could be wrong.
Like a lot of commanders over the last couple of years, it boils down to "do opponents have an answer for your commander within a two turn window?". If no then you win the game. So yes the deck is not that robust. I mean the hate-bears can buy you time, but its not like you are expecting anything but to be able to trigger Winota in games to win.
Purphoros, God of the Forge even though it's not a human, I feel like you're generating so many tokens and ETBs that this would hit pretty hard. It's nice not to completely rely on combat damage to win. Throne of the God-Pharaoh kind of falls in this same vein, scaling up your damage to a multiplayer setting.
Too be honest games come down to exponential triggers that provide inevitability no matter what and not actual math for lethal damage. In a way often it comes down to not wanting opponents to conceded before you get to have your next handful of triggers, so killing them outright can spoil your fun.
But I will say if you did want to try and be a bit more robust, then Purphoros could provide a longer game plan in the absence of Winota being able to stay on the battlefield.
I notice you don't really have any wipes slotted in and that worries me a bit. Cataclysm (Tragic Arrogance if you don't want the LD) has performed very well for me as semi one sided board wipe. You can also do the time honored trick of making your own army indestructible and then using a more traditional wipe like Wrath of God. Martial Coup, Winds of Abandon, or even Hour of Reckoning might also be some things to consider.
If a board wipe isn't being played, then you are going to be very happy.
If its a creature based game, then you are going to come out on top more times than other creature decks imo.
But Martial Coup is a really good proactive game plan. If you have one in your starting hand, or draw it early in the game, then you can just be patient and wait till opponents have committed a lot to the board. Definitely worth it in the right meta.
Boros Charm. I really think this card is great because it protects all permanents for an efficient cost at instant speed.

Indestructibility counters a lot of removal, but will not protect you against some of the best removal in the format. I'm thinking about Merciless Eviction, Cyclonic Rift, Toxic Deluge, All is Dust, or Terminus/Unexpectedly Absent like effects. Besides Teferi's Protection, what is your answer to these effects? In these colors the only thing that really comes to mind is the global end of turn blinks: Eerie Interlude or Ghostway. I'm bringing this up because I am also asking myself the same question for my Boros build.
I actually did have Ghostway and Eerie Interlude when I started playing her, but cut them for two reasons. I rarely found myself having mana spare when passing the turn.
There are just too many proactive cards in the deck to take the risk of not advancing your board. The examples are especially if you are playing hate-bear creatures that are going to put your opponents in a difficult position.
The other reason is that a lot of the board becomes tokens, which the exile effects don't help with.

I do play Return to the Ranks as a safety net.
Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero also helps against Toxic Deluge/All is Dust type effects.

Idol of Endurance is an interesting new card from Core 2021 that you could use against board wipes. The neat thing about this card is that you can get around graveyard hate that might come after you've cast it. Although it doesn't allow you to bring back creatures after you've cast it either.

Luminous Broodmoth is another creature you could look at to protect against board wipes that specifically put cards into your graveyard.
As a side note, I think it's really odd that tokens don't have the human type when they probably should. Hero of Bladehold as an example. She is a "Human Knight" but she makes "1/1 white Soldier tokens"Call the Coppercoats is an example of card that makes tokens with the human creature type as I would expect. Very odd, but it certainly works in Winota's favor!
Certainly an over site that has just basically stuck for decades.

As far as I can tell the first time Soldier tokens were referenced was Kjeldoran Outpost in Alliances.
Darien, King of Kjeldor is a Human, so his Soldiers should definitely be Human as well.
Human Soldiers as a combined type looked to have started in Fallen Empires.

But it does look like at least in recent times the full "Human Soldiers tokens" are being printed, rather than just Soldiers.
This is the case for Ikoria and Commander 2020 (except on old reprints).
The new Basri Ket still creates non-Human Soldier tokens, but this might literally just be because they are not Humans.
So I feel like from now on out we are not going to see this oversight anymore, which obviously sucks for Winota decks :P

Some cards that peaked my interest in Core 2021 for Winota is Alpine Houndmaster as it represents getting two more non-Human creatures; Alpine Watchdog and Igneous Cur (not spoiled on Nexus yet). Much in the same way as using Ranger-Captain of Eos and Ranger of Eos to get further resources.
The creatures are very vanilla however, so represent weak cards in general, but its these type of cards that you can use to power through metas that have heavy board wipes.
Rather than trying to protect your board, you have proactive cards instead that allow you to claw your way back with triggers fairly quickly or allow you to get the ball rolling.

Mangara, the Diplomat is an new Human that packs a lot of interesting power. Again another card that you could include to make the deck a little bit more robust if Plan A doesn't take hold.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

She doesn't actually need to attack (and she is a Human so doesn't trigger herself either). So its a just a case of get some non-Humans out, and play her and you get to have triggers the same turn she is played, which is why you can get those very early busted starts.
Derp. Still, some kind of protection would have been welcome. Protection from non-creatures maybe?? lol

Yes, Mangara, the Diplomat looks great. Definitely fits my playstyle.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Subira, Tulzidi Caravaneer I don't think this card is officially spoiled yet in english, but:
2R
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman
Haste
1: Another target creature with power 2 or less can't be blocked this turn.

1R, T, discard your hand: Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control with power 2 or less deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
Not sure that this fits in your deck as well since your card advantage is mainly through Winota, and she won't be able to use the ability until next turn but I am really excited about this card in general as it has been a REALLY long time since we've had this kind of card draw in red at such an efficient cost. Her granting unblockability for just 1 is also a great bonus.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

darrenhabib

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Subira, Tulzidi Caravaneer I don't think this card is officially spoiled yet in english, but:
2R
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman
Haste
1: Another target creature with power 2 or less can't be blocked this turn.

1R, T, discard your hand: Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control with power 2 or less deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
Not sure that this fits in your deck as well since your card advantage is mainly through Winota, and she won't be able to use the ability until next turn but I am really excited about this card in general as it has been a REALLY long time since we've had this kind of card draw in red at such an efficient cost. Her granting unblockability for just 1 is also a great bonus.
Oh yes, going straight into the deck. I've found that I literally NEVER have mana to invest in Mentor of the Meek triggers. Mana is the bottleneck most of the time.
But spending 1R is mana efficient for basically doing a Wheel of Fortune for yourself.
Then it also has evasion for creatures, this card looks great.

NotARooster

Post by NotARooster » 3 years ago

Isn't Mutavault a non-bo with Winota since it counts as a human?

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

@NotARooster I believe so, since it is ALL creature types.

I finally picked up a copy of Winota. Holy cow! I tried her in my command zone just for testing purposes, and wow. What a card. She definitely gives Aurelia a run for her money. The shear card advantage she can generate is insane for Boros. She won me both games I played with her. Purphoros, God of the Forge did a lot of work in one game. I think he burned the table for over 20+ damage.

Aurelia is more of a finisher whereas Winota can really build my board state quickly... argh... decisions. When they are both in play at the same time... well that wins games on the spot.

I did notice though that since Winota puts creatures into play tapped and attacking, cards like Hero of Bladehold don't make tokens that turn, and next turn, since those tokens are put into play tapped and attacking, those tokens don't trigger Winota. Feels bad. The majority of my token generators are this type since they have more synergy with Aurelia. However, I don't feel great swapping those out since they are so efficient otherwise. Even with the ETBs, you still have to wait a turn. However, winota's ability is so powerful that it doesn't seem to matter much, just a question of optimization if I were to make her my commander. On the whole, an optimized Winota list looks pretty different.

The other thing that I would likely have to lose is my equipment subtheme which is definitely out of the question since it's something I originally built the deck for.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

darrenhabib

I only played this deck for the first couple of weeks but found the linear nature of...
Do your opponents have a way to remove Winota?
Yes = Continue playing the game.
No = You win the game.

I mean swarming the board in a couple of turns is fun for the first 6 games, but after that it's just the same pattern of literally the game comes down to if your opponents can remove Winota before you get to the attack phase.

Anyway these are the changes I'd make with Zendikar Rising.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Well, that very well could be said for just about any high tier commander with a sufficiently optimized list right?

At least this might be another argument to run her in the 99 instead. Aurelia lends herself well to several different strategies. I enjoy taking the equipment route if that's what I draw into.

We have another decent Boros card advantage engine being printed: Akiri, Fearless Voyager Realistically, I can see this drawing me 2-4 cards per turn.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

darrenhabib

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Well, that very well could be said for just about any high tier commander with a sufficiently optimized list right?
For sure, although I would specifically point at lists that fully lean on the commander for the advantages. So a Brago, King Eternal or Zur the Enchanter getting too many attack phases rather than a tuned deck that can operate on its own.

My point is really that the number of times you get satisfaction from the same board spam is limited. At least with say my Feather, the Redeemed deck, although it is 100% based around the commander, it has interesting interactions and challenging game play for both you and your opponents.
But some people might only play like one game of commander every 2 weeks say. And a deck like this is probably going to be quite fun, if you get to go off every other game you are going to feel well satisfied.
I on the other hand play tons of games every week so there are only so many times you can play a deck like this and feel like it is nonsense from the command zone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”