Style Biter's Breakfast - Volrath, the Shapestealer

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 3 years ago

I dropped Invisible Stalker as a protection role player because it was too hard to clone with Volrath. Young Wolf would be an excellent replacement for the reasons you outlined. I'm not immediately sure what to swap for it, but it's certainly worth testing!
Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
What a weirdly versatile legend.
Well said. There's so many ways to build this Volrath that you could probably eke out a half dozen different good decks from it that aren't clone tribal. :grin:
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

Tags:

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Congrats on achieving Primer status!

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
Congrats on achieving Primer status!
Thanks! :cool:

I'm really proud of how far this deck has come in the last 2-2.5 months and how much it's resonated with folks whose deckbuilding skills I respect and admire. Thanks again to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I doubt I would have finished making it Primer worthy without you!
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

UPDATE:

I'm testing out the following changes:

Breakdown
Maze of Ith has been kinda meh in practice and every time I've drawn it, I've wished it was a mana-producing land. Blighted Agent just seems a bit disposable in service of what I'm trying to accomplish, which is more lands. Nezahal has been a house every time it's hit the table, but it doesn't really serve the overall plan. Finally, Mystic Remora has never stuck around for more than two turn cycles because I don't want to waste my mana to not advance my board state.

Bala Ged Recovery represents more recursion, which I can definitely use. Young Wolf will help support survivability for Volrath, and Exotic Orchard and Fabled Passage are five color lands that I need to not run out of gas around Turn 6 or 7. I've not been drawing enough lands and I think two additional lands that produce colored mana are a good start at least.
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Robobro72

Post by Robobro72 » 3 years ago

Just came across this deck for the first time, very cool! :) Like this approach as a thicc Lazav 2.0. I had a few things I was curious about reading through the thread.

Is the decklist in the original post still consistent with what you're running/discussing in the thread? I see pod in the list but according to the changelog and comments I don't see where it was added back in. Wondering whether the deck list or changelog is most aligned with your list. On that note, any new developments or shifts from the last few sets? I know I haven't touched my lists with everything in the past year :woozy:

I think I could use a bit of help on the Pathbreaker Ibex line. You mention needing a good understanding of the rules and I suppose I'm lacking. Your end size on the tokens is 28/26 which is presume is 7/5 base from volrath mimicking the nacatl attack trigger, +7/+7 from the ibex trigger and +14/+14 from volrath mimicking the ibex trigger. However, I presume I'm missing something from this sequence because I don't see how volrath can copy two attack triggers on the same turn. Were you describing two separate lines in that paragraph (double buffing tokens from OG nacatl vs. single buffing volrath-sized tokens)? Otherwise I'm not seeing how you get up to that P/T.

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

Post by Rorseph » 2 years ago

Robobro72 wrote:
3 years ago
Is the decklist in the original post still consistent with what you're running/discussing in the thread?
The decklist in the OP is the most current/relevant one, but I haven't played this deck (or Magic period, really) since shortly after my last post. Kinda lost my enthusiasm, but you've actually piqued it again, so thank you. :grin:
Robobro72 wrote:
3 years ago
However, I presume I'm missing something from this sequence because I don't see how volrath can copy two attack triggers on the same turn.
One of those triggers is from the Pathbreaker Ibex itself. It has to attack, too. That's how you do that.
—Phyrexian Scriptures

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

The real advancement of this decklist is a total Phyrexian themed deck. Can you feel yourself being completed yet?

Actually, why not have Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider in the deck? It doubles up on Volrath's triggered ability and helps synergize with the various token producers in the deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”