Derevi Aggro/Tempo

Mimicvat
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

I love turning sideways, but it sucks as a strategy in a giant life, multiplayer vintage-lite format. I also love drawing cards, so any commander that gives me resources and cards for turning sideways is one I'm going to take a good long look at!

I held off on Derevi for a long time, due to his reputation for being overpowered and for his connections with stax. But recently I decided could could resist no longer and built a deck around him, using Derevi as an engine to reward me for getting in with evasive creatures in a way that isn't purely drawing cards.

Unsurprisingly, this quickly became one of my stronger decks. I play in a meta that is mostly tuned creature based decks or janky combat, and light on efficient combo and heavy control decks. We go deep on rule 0 and if there are combo or stax elements in a deck they are discussed beforehand and janked out somewhat to keep it bearable for the fairer decks.

I didn't bother listing my lands, I run all the relevant fetches and shocks that I can afford, using a few off-colour to replace the insanely pricey UG fetch.

Notable exclusions:
  • Heroic Intervention, Selfless Spirit, Mausoleum Wanderer (haven't found for trade, will be getting eventually)
  • Winter Orb (I don't like hard stax or locks that are easy to implement)
  • cEDH stuff - Mana Drain, fast mana, original duals etc (Very expensive, but I also don't usually like playing these types of cards outside of dedicated cEDH decks)
The basic strategy is to deploy evasive creatures, deploy a combat-damage payoff, and then get in mostly evenly while I gather resources. Derevi's untap ability is mostly used to let me tap out for threats, swing in, and then untap to hold up protection. Eventually I have enough board presence that I can start going for player kills. I run a few themes within the deck that help with this strategy;
I'm open to any suggestions on cards that I may have overlooked that can help power the deck up. I want to push it as far as it can go, while staying out of the derevi prison archetype or simply more expensive cards like $100+ lands.

I'm particularly keen on mana dumps, something I can put mana into if I have something crazy like a Fae-Burrow Elder or Gilded Lotus, ten untaps, and no instant speed cards to use. This situation has come up a number of times so anything that is a great instant speed mana dump is gonna get a look from me!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”