Golos Eldrazi

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit
Pronoun: he / him

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

So I've been wanting to try an Eldrazi based deck with Golos, Tireless Pilgrim as the commander. The plan is to use Golos' etb abilty to search for the eldrazi lands or use Congregation at Dawn and Golos' second ability to cast the most powerful Eldrazi from the top of my deck. This is not a pure eldrazi tribal deck so I don't want to jam it with devoid creatures. Any help to add cards / fix the mana base colors would be appreciated.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by vandertroll 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Tags:

lvg
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by lvg » 4 years ago

Have you considered running Emrakul, the promised end, another big fatty that comes with a strong trigger. Kiora could also fit with your theme of cards that care about having 4 power and helps ramp by untapping your eldrazi land.

Not sure what the budget is for your list? There are a ton more suggestions but some of them are quite pricey.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

lvg wrote:
4 years ago
Have you considered running Emrakul, the promised end, another big fatty that comes with a strong trigger. Kiora could also fit with your theme of cards that care about having 4 power and helps ramp by untapping your eldrazi land.

Not sure what the budget is for your list? There are a ton more suggestions but some of them are quite pricey.
Yeah I missed new Emmy! As for the budget, I definitely can't afford to upgrade the mana base. The rest of the deck, I don't know yet since I haven't played with it yet. It's in the theory stage yet and I don't expect it to be high powered. So I wouldn't give more than 20 usd per card (?)

ConstantMists

Post by ConstantMists » 4 years ago

Since the vast majority of your creatures are colorless, it seems that All is Dust should be here almost as a wincon.

Also if possible I would replace Teferi's Veil with Teferi's Protection .

Otherwise it looks like fun. I could probably run this list once before my group would expect me to dismantle it. Annihilator isn't looked upon fondly there.
Current Commander decks: Zurgo Helmsmasher - Borborgymos Enraged - Elenda, the Dusk Rose - Doran, the Seige Tower - Sliver Overlord - Yarok, the Desecrated - Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Hazoret the Fervent - Purphoros, God of the Forge - Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Marath, Will of the Wild - Ramos, Dragon Engine - Ruhan of the Fomori - Narset, Enlightened Master - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Dragonsoul Knight (Pauper) - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas (Precon)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

If you can afford Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth then that is an easy way to abuse Golos to get you the mana to cast Eldrazi.

Brood Monitor can be combined with Eldrazi Displacer to get infinite ETB/LTB. However this on its own doesn't do anything. You can combine with Catacomb Sifter to literally filter through your deck.

Other Eldrazi you should consider; All Is Dust, Thought-Knot Seer and Void Winnower. Thought-Knot Seer becomes better with flicker effects, so you can use it in response to maybe somebody using a Vampiric , Enlightened, Mystical Tutor or just when you want to make sure the coast is clear with a suspicious opponent.
Note that Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple still help to reduce the cost of All Is Dust.

I not impressed with Elemental Bond and Colossal Majesty as its not like you have fast ways to get the draw off them, and the number of big creatures are limited and you are in a winning position anyway once you start getting Eldrazi onto the table.
If you can just go for more solid draw like Rhystic Study, Phyrexian Arena, Mystic Remora.

Of note phasing doesn't help with ETB, so Teferi's Veil might not be as good as you think.
Also Boros Charm if used for the indestructible is not as good as flicker effect like Eerie Interlude or Ghostway which offers protection and a way to get more Golos triggers.

Literally one of the worst things that can happen is if your opponents steal your creatures, so Homeward Path would be a good utility land.

Field of the Dead can just be such a free roll.

I think at least one more way to search for specific lands would be useful as utility lands are part of the plan.
Scapeshift, Pir's Whim, Hour of Promise are all good.

lvg

Post by lvg » 4 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah I missed new Emmy! As for the budget, I definitely can't afford to upgrade the mana base. The rest of the deck, I don't know yet since I haven't played with it yet. It's in the theory stage yet and I don't expect it to be high powered. So I wouldn't give more than 20 usd per card (?)
I'm not super familiar with US prices but guessing that coffers and urborg are outside of that price range. Because I use those in my golos build to great effect and those would certainly help in hardcasting your eldrazi. No matter, there are alternatives. Slightly clunkier but still could have potential. Brutalizer exarch can help set up the top of the deck for a flip. It costs 6 to play so you probably will have to use golos on your next upkeep to be able to cast the searched card using golos ability. He also has some utility in removing permanents. Long term plans is another card that can help setup Golos for succes. Mwonvuli beast tracker can at least find you an emrakul. Mortuary Mire can do the same for fallen Eldrazi (the ones without the reshuffle clause at least. Riverwise Augur is kind of a bad brainstorm, but a brainstorm none the less. Nice thing about some of these creature options is that they can be reused through the blink effects you are already running. I would advise to add Ephemerate to that list though.

Some more ramp also wouldn't hurt as you pretty much always want to hit golos on turn 4. Obvious exclusion would be cultivate But stuff like farhaven elf works nicely with the blink you already have.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
If you can afford Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth then that is an easy way to abuse Golos to get you the mana to cast Eldrazi.

Brood Monitor can be combined with Eldrazi Displacer to get infinite ETB/LTB. However this on its own doesn't do anything. You can combine with Catacomb Sifter to literally filter through your deck.

Other Eldrazi you should consider; All Is Dust, Thought-Knot Seer and Void Winnower. Thought-Knot Seer becomes better with flicker effects, so you can use it in response to maybe somebody using a Vampiric , Enlightened, Mystical Tutor or just when you want to make sure the coast is clear with a suspicious opponent.
Note that Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple still help to reduce the cost of All Is Dust.

I not impressed with Elemental Bond and Colossal Majesty as its not like you have fast ways to get the draw off them, and the number of big creatures are limited and you are in a winning position anyway once you start getting Eldrazi onto the table.
If you can just go for more solid draw like Rhystic Study, Phyrexian Arena, Mystic Remora.

Of note phasing doesn't help with ETB, so Teferi's Veil might not be as good as you think.
Also Boros Charm if used for the indestructible is not as good as flicker effect like Eerie Interlude or Ghostway which offers protection and a way to get more Golos triggers.

Literally one of the worst things that can happen is if your opponents steal your creatures, so Homeward Path would be a good utility land.

Field of the Dead can just be such a free roll.

I think at least one more way to search for specific lands would be useful as utility lands are part of the plan.
Scapeshift, Pir's Whim, Hour of Promise are all good.
Unfortunately I have only one Coffers and Tomb and they are in my MonoB Yawgmoth deck, which is quite tuned so... :)
I want to test the phasing of Teferi's Veil to keep the eldrazi away from off combat shenanigans. We'll see how this goes!
Do you think that the colored symbols of my manabase are okayish?

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
Unfortunately I have only one Coffers and Tomb and they are in my MonoB Yawgmoth deck, which is quite tuned so... :)
I want to test the phasing of Teferi's Veil to keep the eldrazi away from off combat shenanigans. We'll see how this goes!
Do you think that the colored symbols of my manabase are okayish?
If you have copies then just proxy them and show them to anybody who questions it.

You don't want It that Betrays, Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Sire of Stagnation to phase out, so keep that in mind.

Your land base looks fine in my opinion. I don't like Zhalfirin Void, but that's it really.

Green and Blue are the main colors you want for early plays for the ramp or maybe cantrip cards like Ponder, Brainstorm, Serum Visions.
So your mana is geared pretty well towards this. I think Isolated Chapel is the next worse land in your deck.

I don't like the haste options you've chosen with Mass Hysteria or Samut, Tyrant Smasher.
Domri, Chaos Bringer, Arlinn Kord, Garna, the Bloodflame feel like better long term options.
You can go for at least one land that gives haste in either Hall of the Bandit Lord, Flamekin Village, Hanweir Battlements, Slayers' Stronghold.

Leyline of Anticipation looks super weak in this deck as well. Very underwhelming card unless you really gear your deck towards it.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

So this is the first playable iteration of the deck: Unfortunately, newlamog, All is Dust and World Breaker did not arrive yet, will thing about what to cut when I get them.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

I played a couple of games against more tuned decks (Breya, Feldon, Titania) which gave me a really hard time. When I get to cast Golos a turn or two earlier I can really start getting huge threats online. I always want to search for the Eye of Ugin first, but I am not sure that it's always the correct play. The deck is really fun to play due to all the insane ramp that Golos has, especially paired with flicker effects. I will be testing more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”