Ravos and Silas' Ursine Auto Shop

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

I liked the direction my Marisi, Breaker of the Coil was going but that deck just had too many competing themes. I then stumbled across the Bears in Cars archetype and it made me laugh but it also gave me an idea. Bears in Cars are Hatebears and the Cars are the bigger Vehicles that can get the job done. Since Ravos already is an Anthem to help me close out the game, I'm going to add a little bit of an Anthem subtheme to screw with Combat Math and make my little guys able to close out the game. Between Silas and Ravos, I'm going to keep getting back my annoying locks or cars that can be used to crush face.
Hateful Hulks

Basic Lands - 21

Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
Changes 04/22/20
Show
Hide
Changes 04/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 04/19/20
Show
Hide
Changes 04/19/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 04/04/20
Show
Hide
Changes 04/04/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/18/20
Show
Hide
Changes 03/18/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/14/20
Show
Hide
Changes 03/02/20
Show
Hide
Changes 03/02/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/01/20
Show
Hide
Changes 03/01/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tevesh 4 years ago, edited 16 times in total.

Tevesh

First revision:
Changes 03/01/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Lavinia didn't really do that much; I'm sure she would be backbreaking against certain archetypes but I rather have something that plays to my strengths. In comes Eidolon, a Hatebear for the action economy.

I think the Anime Sword is good enough to go in any deck that has a decent number of Creatures automatically. Unfortunately, I've found that it doesn't play nice with the Bear in Cars archetype. I'm used to 'fire and forget' when it comes the Sword, occasionally swapping when the wielder dies. The Vehicles automatically unequip after the end of the turn and my Hatebears are too shrimpy to get in there with the sword. In its place comes Kor Cartographer which will grab me all types of Plains. I did think of the Knight of the White Orchard but decided against him because I don't know if I'll be ahead on lands, I wanted the guaranteed fetch.

Luminarch is a super good end game card but my trouble isn't the end game, it's getting there. I need ensure the transition, so interaction is added to ensure that.

Throne is another end game piece, perhaps it'll return as the deck shapes up. As it stands, I put in Forbid as more interaction. Between Silas and Ravos, I can easily keep recurring cards to keep my Forbid fuelled. The Eidolon also helps with this soft lock, especially if we're in head's up.

Bident of Thassa is great if I'm going really wide, but that's not the case, I'm going pseudo-tall. I might have a lot of bodies but really only one or two Vehicles will be getting in. In that case, I rather free myself up with a better draw spell. I noticed a little lack in life gain so naturally Sphinx's Rev immediately came to mind.

Tevesh

I was reminded of Kalitas:
Changes 03/02/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Kalitas is far more hateful than the Scarab God, so if the deck is going to be oriented around Hatebears he makes far more sense. I'm just a little bitter to discover that he's jumped in price again. I only picked up one when he bottomed out at $7 CAD; I didn't bother buying more or the LGS was out. It seemed like the next time I looked at him, he shot up to $20 and now he's $50.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

What the hell, when did both of these get to be crazy money again?! Is this a Pioneer thing?

Interesting deck idea. Might just be me, but most of the cars still seem pretty insignificant stat-wise relative to the sort of stuff that tends to come around in EDH though.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
What the hell, when did both of these get to be crazy money again?! Is this a Pioneer thing?

Interesting deck idea. Might just be me, but most of the cars still seem pretty insignificant stat-wise relative to the sort of stuff that tends to come around in EDH though.
I think so. It was nice when you could hoover up all of those leaving Standard cards but then Pioneer seemed to have screwed that. We'll see if it really screws up the rotation game or just makes things slightly more expensive.

What I've found so far is that my Hatebears make my opponents stumble in playing those Haymakers and so I swarm them with Vehicles. If things go wrong, I wrath and play out more Creatures who Crew my awaiting Vehicles. Ravos' Anthem really adds up, my Hatebears get big enough to Crew solo instead of each of them piling in. Add in Ethereal Absolution and Commander's Insignia then things get absurd pretty quickly, we're talking 2/2s being easily 6/6s+. Which then makes my 4/5 Power Vehicles absolutely monstrous.

Ravos' Raise Dead trigger is great. Silas' Saboteur, not so much. I've been toying with moving the concept into another colour triad but then I would lose Blue which isn't something I'd want. I've currently been thinking on how to switch up my Hatebears, I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have so much 'specific' Hatebears but more 'generic'. i.e. Cost increases hit my opponents no matter what strategy they have, yet ETB stoppages only hose specific strategies.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

I remember I read a review of all the partners once upon a time, with letter grades, and Ravos got an F. In retrospect, I don't get why - he's perfectly fine in casual value decks. There's an enrage/Spitemare style deck in my group that uses him to keep recurring synergy pieces, you'll do well with him here. I guess you're running Silas to have similar recursion for the cars? If you find him truly worthless, you could swap to something else for the colours alone. The aforementioned Ravos deck jams Tana 99% for the colour identity (and occasional deployment when there's mana and nothing else to do).

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I remember I read a review of all the partners once upon a time, with letter grades, and Ravos got an F. In retrospect, I don't get why - he's perfectly fine in casual value decks. There's an enrage/Spitemare style deck in my group that uses him to keep recurring synergy pieces, you'll do well with him here. I guess you're running Silas to have similar recursion for the cars? If you find him truly worthless, you could swap to something else for the colours alone. The aforementioned Ravos deck jams Tana 99% for the colour identity (and occasional deployment when there's mana and nothing else to do).
Yeah, Silas is in to recur the cars but he's a little too shrimpy to get the job done. That or someone is willing to toss away a Blocker to stop me from recasting an Artifact card.

Another big update:
I've added a lot of Utility Lands this update, so I decided to put in Weathered Wayfarer who I got in a Mystery Booster. Magus of the Tabernacle hurts me more than most of my opponents, so he gets the axe.

Spirit of the Labyrinth is a high power Hatebear who will help me rev up those engines. I cut Sphinx's Rev because having both seemed like a potential bad time. Spirit was suggested after a lot of comments of how I don't really use traditional draw, so I'm also leaning more into the tutoring and/or dig package.

Alms Collector is a relatively high powered Hatebear and that's why I chose a draw spell with the same CMC. While I love Fact, I need to lean in on my gimmick.

Silent Submersible didn't really give me that much. Conqueror's Galleon, when flipped, can provide outrageous value, including recurring my Artifacts which Silas does have trouble doing.

I won a Demonic Tutor P3P4 in Mystery Boosters. Yeah, I have no clue how three people passed it but I ain't going to complain. I thought I would need the extra bodies to crew my cars but Hatebears with the Anthems has been working out fine.

Cutting Fetid Pools because Irrigated Farmland and the like can be fetched with Kor Cartographer. I saw a R/W version of this list that used Manlands and I realized I was lacking that. If I don't have any bodies, I can man up my lands who can then rev the car's engines. Faerie Conclave goes in as an evasive hitter but also a solid Power to Crew.

Port Town was hitting more than missing, so it got axed over Temple of Enlightenment for the Scry. Kor Haven goes in its place as a land that doesn't ETBT and it can be grabbed by Weatherlight.

Shambling Vents can Crew my Vehicles and I'll probably enjoy its' Lifelink on occasion. Temple of Silence is the closest in form and function.

Winding Canyons is going to be great in this deck; somethings become really broken when they can be played at Flash and that can include a bunch of these Hatebears. I can't wait to catch someone out on a big draw and I'll play Spirit of the Labyrinth or someone is trying to do something convoluted who suddenly needs to fight through a Eidolon of Rhetoric or Ethersworn Canonist.

Tevesh

Got both of these in a Mystery Booster Draft, so why not?:
Changes 03/18/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Teferi's Protection is a much more flexible protective Instant than Settle so that was one swap. I decided to cut Settle over Comeuppance because Comeuppance can be used to kill a player who is using Aetherflux Reservoir or a burn spell of some kind. Settle also hits every Creature so there will be times when someone Alpha Strikes and I want them to kill other players; I don't have a choice in Settle. Though I do lose the ability to 'At end of Combat, Settle' when someone swings all out at someone else. Overall, I prefer the protection Comeuppance provides.

If I'm going to play something purely for its Lifegain aspects, I can do better than Whip of Erebos. Unfortunately, I lose out on it being Legendary for Weatherlight but going with True Conviction, I am losing the Artifact vulnerability. With Ravos as a Commander, I'm not incentivized to Whip a Creature back into play to only lose it permanently. Double Strike will help me close out the game with doubling my Damage and cushioning my life total. It'll also be nice on blocks, as my shrimpy Hatebears can First Strike to death swarms instead of trading out if needs be.

I'd rather lose an Island at this point than a Plains; the deck is heavy into White so I'd rather not lose too many sources. Factory is probably one of the cheapest ways to Crew my Vehicles so I'm glad I got it effectively 'for free' over trying to hunt down a copy.

Tevesh

Smoothing over:
Changes 04/04/20
Approximate Total Cost:

My first few playtests were in the wilds, so Lavinia didn't do much and didn't impress me. Then I played with my regulars and was quickly reminded by how much they love free spells. Time to take a dump on that. Konda is the least impressive, as I don't get randomly pinged by people unless it is lifeloss and so she does a whole lot of nothing. That's that swap.

I noticed I had just too many lands ETBT and that had to stop. I cut the three weakest, I was even thinking of adding Terrain Generator to the chopping block but I think adding three Basics is enough to justify its' existence. I'll have to see how the deck performs.

Tevesh

Change in direction:
I'm getting rid of all of the nickle and dime stax pieces. They were a %$#% to track and ultimately didn't do much besides piss my opponents off. In their stead, I am using 'hard stax' pieces in that they specifically say you can't do this or that. I also realized a lot of the vehicles were kind of trash, so I got rid of them all except the three best: Smuggler's Copter, Untethered Express and Parhelion II. Also, I expanded my definition of hate, for example Nezahal isn't strictly a hatebear but if you know what's good for you, you don't cast noncreature spells into him.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit surprised to see a hatebear'y deck in your Filthy Casual tier :P This new stuff should be more fitting of that designation. The car murder is a bit sad, as the whole nominal "bears in cars" thing seems to have been phased out to a degree. What you gonna do if they suck though.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit surprised to see a hatebear'y deck in your Filthy Casual tier :P This new stuff should be more fitting of that designation. The car murder is a bit sad, as the whole nominal "bears in cars" thing seems to have been phased out to a degree. What you gonna do if they suck though.
It was filthy casual because it was unreliable; some decks didn't care about the nickle and diming while others would be screwed. This will probably break out if the deck survives; I'm not too fond of Silas and so I'm wondering of what other options. Plus Ikoria has given us a glut of new options. They're not too exciting to me but who knows? I might see something in the wild that'll inspire me.

The new pieces might suck, I just hope they don't.

Tevesh

More polishing:
I'm moving away from the limiting Hatebears, so the Canonist and Spirit go away. In their stead, I've put in bigger hatebears like Azor and Ob Nix. Hushbringer costs less and does more than Hushwing Gryff.

I found myself lacking in draw, so I put in Graveborn Muse, plus Azor's innate Sphinx's Revelation should help, as well as being another life gain source.

I slimmed the curve with Sunblast Angel coming out for God-Eternal Oketra.

With the overall CMC trending upwards, I went with a mana source in the form of Sword of the Animist. Hopefully it and Leonin Arbiter will get along.

With the addition of Anime Sword and removal of lots of cars, I dropped the manlands for Basics. I don't need the terrain to start my engines anymore, though the increased Basics does mean Terrain Generator could be more impactful. With these changes, I evaluated my colour distribution and realized I really needed to up my White sources as well as Black with the removal of so many Blue cards.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

If you're still pursuing hatebears, Drannith Magistrate would like a word :P You've got the entire package of hatebears I'd jam in my "hatebeary" builds (Containment Priest, Aven Mindcensor, Hushwing Gryff upgraded to Hushbringer though the flash was nice for a faux-counterspell, Linvala, Keeper of Silence), this one would sure join them if I had a deck to put these in :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
If you're still pursuing hatebears, Drannith Magistrate would like a word :P You've got the entire package of hatebears I'd jam in my "hatebeary" builds (Containment Priest, Aven Mindcensor, Hushwing Gryff upgraded to Hushbringer though the flash was nice for a faux-counterspell, Linvala, Keeper of Silence), this one would sure join them if I had a deck to put these in :P
Definitely, though the $20 price tag makes me wince.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

That's just the extended art version. The regular was pre-ordering for two and a bit for a while, and has now spiked to around five bucks for some reason.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
That's just the extended art version. The regular was pre-ordering for two and a bit for a while, and has now spiked to around five bucks for some reason.
Huh, I'll keep that in mind. Since I'm not playing in person with my friends I don't feel like buying cardboard, so just digging around in my own collection.

More shaping:
Changes 04/19/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Sunscorch will get big to deter annoyed people from attacking into my Hatebears, it'll also gain me life which I've found matters when you're playing anything slower than midrange. Plus it gets in for massive damage.

The deck probably doesn't need 39 lands and I've found myself without having enough open mana to justify using Winding Canyons. In its place comes another expensive Hatebear, we'll see if Archfiend can stick the landing.

Tevesh

Windborn is permission, the point is to be more final than that:
Changes 04/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Teysa comes in as a clock you can't really mess with. Having a No Mercy trigger that also spawns fliers is much more of a 'hatebear' than Windborn Muse's built-in Propaganda. My four drop slot was also full of glut, which is why I gave her the axe. I'd also put in a Knight of the White Orchid but I couldn't find my spare copy; maybe I don't have spares anymore.

Tevesh

Well, despite not having a board, this deck was the most threatening with Kambal, Consul of Allocation out there shocking fools for life. Him and Lavinia, Azorius Renegade drew massive amounts of ire; I'm just trying to stop people from cheating out abusive crap - I'm making the game fair. Well, I severely underestimated their "Hate Index" so I got ruthlessly attacked despite the two big boys having much more threatening boards. In other words, the concept doesn't work - either I make it go hard stax, which I am not interested in doing, or I take the hatebears out and run a generic Esper midrange-ish deck. With that, I've decided to dissolve the deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”