Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh//Chandra, Roaring Flame: Superfriends, Burn & Elemental Tribal

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BaronCappuccino » 4 years ago

Some sort of mono-red control deck, as close to creatureless as possible, has been a project of mine for months now, and until recently, the theoretical commander was Diaochan, Artful Beauty. They always goldfished very clunkily. I wasn't impressed. I put together this superfriends list on the 22nd, and have been testing it on Archidekt's playtester while I wait for the cards to arrive from TCG. The strategy is fairly straightforward. Use a combination of nonbasic land hate and board wipes while you play your walkers. Finish the game with burn. If your opponents have four or more creatures each, one victory out of nowhere is Repercussion followed by Blasphemous Act for a total of four mana.

I don't get to play Magic very often - usually prearranged Friday nights, so the soonest I'll take on my playgroup is Friday, March 6th. My gold-fishing has to take on some basic assumptions. While I expect to be attacked now and then in the first few turns, I don't expect to be hard focused straight to death. Opponents' attention will be divided three ways. This, I believe, gives me the freedom to play more reactively. Timing the board wipes is probably the most important component of the deck's gameplay.

I tried my best to stay absurdly thematic, almost telling a story through cards. The choice in walkers was no accident - the two lady pyromancers. The artifacts couldn't be any more tied to the walkers. The effects granted by the instants and sorceries are effects granted by the walkers. I tried to be quintessentially red. I intentionally avoided targeting basic lands, but nonbasic land hate is pretty reliably present. I'm really hoping to make this something of my flagship deck. On the first build, I neglected hate for early game ramp, which was rectified with Shatterstorm, Shattering Spree, Vandalblast and By Force. Most of my early plays are dedicated to holding everyone else back until I can start attempting the superfriends thing.

So, absolute creatureless wasn't really working for me, so I caved to an idea that had been tempting me after I put the deck together. Because of the four Chandras that focus on elementals, I felt like an elementals subtheme was in order, but didn't want to sacrifice the prior core tenet of the deck, being creatureless. That's no longer the case. Chandra tribal, mono-red superfriends and burn with an elementals subtheme -- just another run of the mill Commander deck. To make room, I lost the cards that reuse the graveyard, and many of the more greedy exile and play off the library cards. They weren't being cast.
Through the Fire and Flame

Enchantments (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”