WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

Commander
Skeleton Ship
All Aboard the Mary Celeste

Creature

Approximate Total Cost:

This is a deck I made a while back when a friend challenged me to make a superfriends deck. I had just rewatched the movie Event Horizon which terrified me as a child, been looking at Skeleton Ship for whatever reason and it clicked. Definitely a theme deck that I built, very rarely bust out because of it's not very casual friendly but not necessarily competitive nature. For whatever reason I can't bring myself to break it. I suppose most of these cards would not have homes in most of the decks I tend to build regularly anyways. So the nightmare sits in a box. You don't need eyes where you're going anyway muahaha.

Side note:
The Mary Celeste is a true story that the movie was based off. A sailing vessel that disappeared and was found later floating off shore as if it had been just recently abandoned. Like all the crew dropped what they were doing and just left. A total mystery, A creatureless mystery and a likely nightmare for all involved. Welcome aboard!
Last edited by WolfWhoWanders 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Responds well to spells and abilities

Segrus
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

Other than maybe Spark Double as a suggestion--I don't know where it would fit though--all of my first suggestions you already have in the deck! Well done, I like it.

There's a fan theory out there that Event Horizon is in the Warhammer 40K universe since EH's 'Hell' is so similar in nature to the Warp in 40K. Which, in a hand-wavey way seems cool. I think I always just liked how Event Horizon is kind of a scifi telling of a haunted house story, and the mix in genres intrigues me.

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

@Segrus
That's a cool theory, I'm not too familiar with Warhammer but that seems cool. I wonder what it would be like to encounter in that game. It was a pretty well done movie for it's time. If it interests you, look up the tale of the Marie Celeste... Maybe that "hell" is even here!

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
4 years ago
Segrus
That's a cool theory, I'm not too familiar with Warhammer but that seems cool. I wonder what it would be like to encounter in that game. It was a pretty well done movie for it's time. If it interests you, look up the tale of the Marie Celeste... Maybe that "hell" is even here!
I'm not familiar enough with 40K either, but in looking up fun trivia about the film I ran into that fan theory. For its time the movie did a decent job of it. If there were one horror movie I'd enjoy seeing redone, it's probably Event Horizon. There are some films which try to imitate EH, but they always fall back onto bizarre science-like logic (see The Cloverfield Paradox) instead of just jumping feet first into hell.

I thought I'd heard about the Mary Celeste before, so I looked it up after I responded before. Pretty creepy. I wonder if the video game Return of the Obra Din had the Mary Celeste in mind.

kenbaumann
on and off since '94

Post by kenbaumann » 4 years ago

Automatic like for anything Event Horizon-related. YES.

Tankusmancus

Post by Tankusmancus » 3 years ago

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
4 years ago
Commander
Skeleton Ship
All Aboard the Marie Celeste

Creature

Approximate Total Cost:

This is a deck I made a while back when a friend challenged me to make a superfriends deck. I had just rewatched the movie Event Horizon which terrified me as a child, been looking at Skeleton Ship for whatever reason and it clicked. Definitely a theme deck that I built, very rarely bust out because of it's not very casual friendly but not necessarily competitive nature. For whatever reason I can't bring myself to break it. I suppose most of these cards would not have homes in most of the decks I tend to build regularly anyways. So the nightmare sits in a box. You don't need eyes where you're going anyway muahaha.

Side note:
The Marie Celeste is a true story that the movie was based off. A sailing vessel that disappeared and was found later floating off shore as if it had been just recently abandoned. Like all the crew dropped what they were doing and just left. A total mystery, A creatureless mystery and a likely nightmare for all involved. Welcome aboard!
The true story is that of the Mary Celeste, not Marie. The Mary Celeste was a sailing ship that was found drifting in the Atlantic with no sign of the crew and passengers. Their disappearance has never been explained. Some years later, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a short story that incorporated some of the facts surrounding the real Mary Celeste. He added some fictional details and also, probably accidentally, changed the name of the ship to Marie Celeste . In the story, which is called J. Habakuk Jephson's Statement, the people on board the ship are murdered one-by-one, by a member of the crew. The story became so popular that people confused the name of the real ship with that of the fictional one, and some even thought that Doyle's story was true. To this day, more people think the name of the real ship was Marie Celeste than know it was Mary Celeste.

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

Tankusmancus wrote:
3 years ago
WolfWhoWanders wrote:
4 years ago
Commander
Skeleton Ship
All Aboard the Marie Celeste

Creature

Approximate Total Cost:

Side note:
The Marie Celeste is a true story that the movie was based off. A sailing vessel that disappeared and was found later floating off shore as if it had been just recently abandoned. Like all the crew dropped what they were doing and just left. A total mystery, A creatureless mystery and a likely nightmare for all involved. Welcome aboard!
The true story is that of the Mary Celeste, not Marie. The Mary Celeste was a sailing ship that was found drifting in the Atlantic with no sign of the crew and passengers. Their disappearance has never been explained. Some years later, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a short story that incorporated some of the facts surrounding the real Mary Celeste. He added some fictional details and also, probably accidentally, changed the name of the ship to Marie Celeste . In the story, which is called J. Habakuk Jephson's Statement, the people on board the ship are murdered one-by-one, by a member of the crew. The story became so popular that people confused the name of the real ship with that of the fictional one, and some even thought that Doyle's story was true. To this day, more people think the name of the real ship was Marie Celeste than know it was Mary Celeste.
Thanks, I actually knew that too but must've had Marie/Mary mixed up in my head. I'll change it. Figured this post was lost to obscurity anyhow.

Tankusmancus

Post by Tankusmancus » 3 years ago

You're welcome. Everyone gets them mixed up, even the most reputable encyclopaedias, etc. I once spoke to an Australian author who had written a novel and called it "Dancing on the Marie Celeste." He said he knew it should be "Mary" but so many people think it's "Marie" that if he used "Mary" they'd think he'd made a mistake! That's what we're up against. I think it's the Wikipedia Principle: if enough people are wrong, they become right. Best wishes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”