Chisei, 5th Element of the Sea

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

This is my current Monoblue deck. I've always felt Counter decks in simic are fun but they lack the pazzaz that this offers. Welcome to the 5th Element of the Sea: the Heart of Control.

I've been messing with this deck for a few months and It plays stupidly fun. Removing counters on my own cummulative upkeeps is huge and can be really fun if we can set up a mystic remora to draw into glacial chasm to set up a nice lock down. From there a flying commander does plent of damage or setting up for a thassa's oracle win.

If you have any ideas for the deck I'd love feedback.
Chisei, 5th Element
Approximate Total Cost:

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I really like Survivor of the Unseen. It's a really powerful card. If you can afford to put in some fetchlands then it becomes even better.

Medomai's Prophecy is excellent. You can keep doing the scry 2, but you can setup so that it's keeps ticking over on the 3rd Saga. So during your upkeep you go down to two counters (Chisei) naming a card, and then the 3rd Saga triggers main phase. So literally you can always name a card that you are going to cast for that turn to draw 2 cards every turn.

If your win condition is Thassa's Oracle then Thought Lash is an instant win with it.

Kiora Bests the Sea God is a much more powerful Time of Ice for an additional 3 mana, so more expensive but greater upside.

With Breath of Dreams, Illusionary Terrain, Tidal Control, Quicksilver Fountain, you could have a hack card(s) to alter as needed. There are a number of them to choose from, but for example you could just play the one Crystal Spray and it's a fairly free slot in the deck as it replaces itself.

I'm personally not convinced on the proliferate in this deck. Adding counters doesn't seem all that great. To me it just seems like Sagas, Blast Zone, As Foretold, Jace Beleren, Treasure Map, Umezawa's Jitte, which is definitely not enough incentive.

There is an infinite combo with The Mirari Conjecture and repeated 2nd Saga with an extra turn card, like Time Warp. It looks like you should add a few extra sorcery to the deck to make the The Mirari Conjecture a better card in the first place.

Ardeyn
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ardeyn » 4 years ago

Nice, offbeat deck idea. :)

I see two glaring omissions:
  • Power Conduit basically does it all: redundancy for your Commander's ability of removing counters and buffing for your Commander for faster wins.
  • Clockspinning for controlling the number of counters on sagas etc. on a whim.
Other thoughts:
Snowfall seems a bit narrow, especially since there's not many cards with cumulative upkeep in the deck. If you add the cards I suggested above, you have some more counter control anyway, so it's not needed.
Muddle the Mixture would be a nice flexible way to tutor for the Conduit.
With the Proliferate thing going, I'd probably add some more Planeswalker; especially Tamiyo and (both) Mono U Tezzeret(s).
With the color hosers in here, I'd probably add either Glamerdye as it's effect does not wear off at eot. Or a little more mischievous: Painter's Servant, probably with its partner in crime Grindstone as an alternate win condition. If you also add Unwinding Clock this kills the table and not just one opponent. Also, artifact untappers would be good with the Conduit.
Finally, I'd second darrenhabib's suggestion of one or two Time Warps to combo with the Mirari Conjecture.

Hope these help.
Ardeyn
"A single spark of passion can change a man forever."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”