Dakkon, the umblockable

knight_seb
Pronoun: he / him

Post by knight_seb » 3 years ago

Hello, this is my first post here (but I was a long time reader whithout time to register ...)

Anyways, I need your advices on my Dakkon Blackblade deck. I will use the primer's presentation skeleton to talk about my deck

Table of contents

Part 1 : About me
Part 2 : Deck philosphy
Part 3 : Decklist
Part 4 : Cards Explanation

Part 1 : About me

My name is Sebastien, 37 years old French player. I started Magic in 1994 but stopped in 1996 because of the lack of players in my area. I started again in 2002 and never stopped since. I discovered Commander at its beginnings when it was still called EDH and before Wizards started to make commander decks. I am a long time follower of Sheldon Menery (and the RC) way of defining Commander.
I play also Pauper and Peasant (no rares, only 5 uncos allowed, using the French banlist) for more than 15 years now ...

Part 2 : Deck philosophy

As I love tricolor combination, the Esper one is one of my biggest hurdle. At first, I didn't want to build around Sharuum the Hegemon, which I thought could be only built in a combo way, nor I didn't want a pure control oriented deck as Oloro or Sen triplet. And so, as I had a Dakkon Blackblade sleeping in my collection, I decided to give him a try but not in a pure voltron way. I thought it could be fun to use the combat damage oriented as a theme of the deck and so after trying a defense oriented deck then a token deck, I made this version with combat damage triggers creatures and way to ensure they will inflict damage to my opponents. I already know this isn't my best deck but it is the more challenging one.

Part 3 : Decklist

Decklist

Commander

Others

Approximate Total Cost:

Part 4 : Card choice explanation

Wraths
Curse of the Swine : Exile opponent best creatures, the given token are not a problem
Cyclonic Rift : Usually used at the end of opponent turn, it clears the path or buy us time
Rout : Usually used in its flash mode to save myself for an attack
Fumigate : a little bit of lifegain combined to a way to clear the board
Consume the Meek : As most of my beaters cost more than 3, it clears the small fry, tokens which are used to chumpblock

Removal
I chose a suite of exiling ones to definitely clear the way
Swords to Plowshares
Despark
Reality Shift => Sometimes, the manifest one is bad for us
Generous Gift
Utter End

Draw
Phyrexian Arena => Staple
Necropotence => I always wanted to try it as in my playgroup almost nobody play discard cards
Rhystic Study => Staple
Fact or Fiction
Bloodgift Demon => Phyrexian arena number 3
Graveborn Muse => Phyrexian arena number 2
Erebos, God of the Dead => The combinaison is really interesting here. Preventing my opponent to gain life and drawing is useful
Sire of Stagnation => I never played it yet but green players doesn't like it

Tutor
Lim-Dûl's Vault => This is not Demonic tutor but it is really good to organize the next 5 drawn cards
Stoneforge Mystic => Get my equipments to grant haste or umblockable (or so) to my creatures
Tribute Mage => This one is one of my more polyvalent one. It can fetch signets or most of my equipements depending on the situation

Mana/Ramp
Sol Ring => Staple
Land Tax => To keep the land flow. My opponent have always more land than me
Expedition Map => To fetch the land I need depending situation
Dimir Signet => Mana ramp, it could be changed by the talisman but the lifeloss might be a burden
Orzhov Signet => Same as Dimir signet
Azorius Signet => Same as Dimir signet
Oreskos Explorer => ETB trigger that fetch plains
Darksteel Ingot => Staple
Chromatic Lantern => Staple
Burnished Hart => Staple but mana hungry, could chump block
Kor Cartographer => Little sister of Solemn Simulacrum, but can fetch bilands
Smothering Tithe => Staple
Solemn Simulacrum => Staple
Sword of the Animist => Attack trigger to fetch a land, sign me in !

Recursion
Debtors' Knell => To get back my creatures or sometimes to get an interesting one in my opponent's graveyard
Emeria Shepherd => To get back my permanents, sometimes directly into play
Sheoldred, Whispering One => It clears the way and get back my creatures
Sun Titan => To get back my ways to give haste or umblockable or my artifact ramping

Haste
Giving haste to my beaters is quite critical here. As I didn't play a lot of creatures, I don't want to wait my next turn to something with them. Also I don't need to worry about my opponent's wrath since I will send them to combat before. I want also a cheap cost to play and to equip. Here are my selection :
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Chariot of Victory
Haunted Cloak

Umblockable
I don't want to see my creatures blocked so I need to pass blockers to get combat damage.
Filth : Give Swampwalk to my whole team, combo with urborg
Glory : Give protection to my whole team
Deepfathom Skulker : Can make umblockable and has a nice combat damage trigger to keep the card draw flow
Prowler's Helm : Nobody uses walls
Dauthi Embrace : Shadow could be used as a political tool to exclude a blocker or to force opponent to block in a desavantageous way
Vorrac Battlehorns : trample and only one blocker is underappreciated nowadays
Trailblazer's Boots : Everybody plays non basic lands
Whispersilk Cloak : it gives shroud to protect my creature as a bonus

Beaters
As the deck is based around the combat damage and the combat damage triggers, here is my current selection. I try to get the best effect for a invocation cost reasonable
Augury Adept : lifegain and draw
Daxos of Meletis : Combine difficulty to be blocked and control over the top of opponent library. And if the exiled card is useful for me, it is a nice bonus.
Thada Adel, Acquisitor : Fetch usually artifact ramp card
Master of Predicaments : I have 16 cards about 61 which cost 5 or more. I'm testing it
Blinding Angel : No attack for you pal !
Wrexial, the Risen Deep : 2 landwalking ability, a big body and a nice way to play opponent graveyard spells
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni : Get opponent dead creatures back in my control is always useful. The regeneration ability is often forgotten and augment its survivability
Mindleech Mass : Trample is often overlooked by opponents and playing their cards form their hands is often good for me
Sphinx of the Steel Wind : A combinaison of abilities like Akroma

Others
Comeuppance : As my creatures are always turned sideways, I'm usually opened to attack. I need ways to protect my precious life.

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Hi, well done for taking the time to share :)

Interestingly I've posted on another thread which a user is wanting to put a deck together "Combat damage tribal" so I have some thoughts already.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30013

Not going to lie, Dakkon Blackblade is just a horrible commander, harsh but true.
Chromium, the Mutable, Dromar, the Banisher, Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign are just waaaaaay better options without even needing to rework the deck in any way.

Here are some combat matters creatures we identified in Esper; I will say that you have far too much unblockable enabling cards to actual creatures that need it. Lets look at your creatures;
Daxos of Meletis - some in built evasion
Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Wrexial, the Risen Deep - Islandwalk
Sheoldred, Whispering One, Wrexial, the Risen Deep - Swampwalk
Master of Predicaments, Blinding Angel, Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Bloodgift Demon, Emeria Shepherd - Flying
Mindleech Mass - Trample

Stoneforge Mystic gives you access to an equipment as well.
So I'd remove Chariot of Victory, Haunted Cloak, Prowler's Helm, Vorrac Battlehorns, Trailblazer's Boots and just straight up play some of the creatures that help to gain you more advantages that I listed and the deck is going to feel far less inactive at times.

I think your sweepers could be a bit more well rounded as well.
Cleansing Nova gives you more options than say Fumigate.
Heliod's Intervention has been an all star for me. It does work!
Consume the Meek is very one dimensional and not always useful. Try Austere Command instead to get the same result, plus a lot more.

I'd play Wayfarer's Bauble over Expedition Map.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 3 years ago

At the risk of sounding too negative, I agree with @darrenhabib about your commander. He's not very strong in general: he offers no evasion or extra ability on his own, and six mana could buy you a lot more power these days. There are numerous options out there that are going to work better for your overall strategy, regardless of what that may be. In your case, I think either Dromar, the Banisher or Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign would be a much better choice for getting triggers out of the combat step, and at roughly the same mana cost. But, I can also understand if this is the best available option for you.

I'll move on to something I'm particularly fond of: making cuts. You'll no doubt get plenty of other suggestions for things to add, so I'll try to go the other way and suggest ways to make room for those suggestions:
- Curse of the Swine: The end-result is solid if you can pull it off, but there are two problems in the way. One is the cost: you need at least X=3-4 to make casting this worth your time, and Esper isn't the greatest at producing a lot of mana. If you're up against a token deck or a deck that just pumps out a lot of bodies, getting a select few might not solve your problem. The other is the competition. For that same 5 or 6 mana, you could cast any number of other more effective wraths (my personal favorite is Tragic Arrogance) and accomplish a lot more.
- Consume the Meek: Same idea here: this card has a limitation that other cards like it simply don't have, and there are a lot of other cards like it that work better.
- Reality Shift: Here, the limitation isn't quite so obvious...it only kills creatures, but the other drawback (the manifest part) is also a problem. You've already gotten into the good stuff with Utter End and Generous Gift, so I would keep going down that route with something like Anguished Unmaking.
- Bloodgift Demon: This is a case of a generically good staple that might not be the best fit for your exact deck. I like the Demon as a card, but he's expensive and you have to untap with him to gain value, and he has no real connection to your commander. If you want something a bit more in-line with the combat triggers, maybe something simple like Staggering Insight or Tandem Lookout would work better.
- Graveborn Muse: See Bloodgift Demon.
- Erebos, God of the Dead: See Bloodgift Demon.
- Sire of Stagnation: Another generically good card that is big and slow and doesn't mesh with your commander.
- Kor Cartographer: Land ramp is fine, but only if it's cheap enough to come down early. By the time you hit four mana, you should mostly be done ramping, or get some other benefit besides just the ramp. Solemn Simulacrum is just over the line of acceptable because he's colorless and also draws you a card later when he dies, but even that's a bit of a stretch since the body doesn't mean much to you and you certainly aren't going to attack with him.
- Debtors' Knell, and the recursion package as a whole: This one just doesn't make much sense. You have 23 creatures (not counting Filth or Glory), which is about average, but no ways to cheat them into the graveyard, and only a few other cards that bring something back. So, you're looking at a seven-mana spell that needs to survive other players' turns to your upkeep, to then maybe find another slow and clunky creature to bring back, and that creature won't be able to attack right away, and none of this has anything to do with Dakkon or your overall theme of the deck. I would take a hard look at this little reanimation package and decide if it's really worth your time. My gut says it isn't.
- Deepfathom Skulker: Another card with several drawbacks. One is the cost. You need six mana to cast it, then another four mana to activate it. That's ten mana just to make one creature unblockable. For that price, you could cast a Time Stretch.

Hope that helps you out. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

knight_seb

Thanks a lot for your comments and advices.

It's true that Dakkon isn't the best option available but at this moment, in Esper colors, my only possible commanders are : Sharuum and Sydri are artifact combo oriented generals and Oloro and Merieke are full control oriented ones ... I wanted to play something else so I took Dakkon. The part where he gets bigger and bigger as the game goes was useful in some cases where I killed players with commander damage.

About the recursion package, it's true that it is not good here. Even if I have ways to give haste to my creatures, I don't want to wait a whole turn to bring them back to battle ... I need to work on it. Because my creatures are my only way to win, I need ways to keep it alive or to bring them back if they were killed. How can I protect my team ? If I can't revive them, I need them to stay alive ...

Reading your advices, I've noted :
- My drawing options are not coherent with the theme and are slow (and won't stay long in the field since my opponent will focus on my creatures)
- Some of my cards cost too much to be really useful
- Built-in evasion is better than granting it (which cost mana available which I might often lack)

What do you think of Underworld Connections and cards like Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, etc ... as cheap drawing options ? And cards like Tithe and Gift of Estates to get lands ?
Do I need to play Talismans like Talisman of Progress to ramp more ?
What about Archetype of Imagination ? And my equipment that grant haste ?

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 3 years ago

knight_seb wrote:
3 years ago
About the recursion package, it's true that it is not good here. Even if I have ways to give haste to my creatures, I don't want to wait a whole turn to bring them back to battle ... I need to work on it. Because my creatures are my only way to win, I need ways to keep it alive or to bring them back if they were killed. How can I protect my team ? If I can't revive them, I need them to stay alive ...

Reading your advices, I've noted :
- My drawing options are not coherent with the theme and are slow (and won't stay long in the field since my opponent will focus on my creatures)
- Some of my cards cost too much to be really useful
- Built-in evasion is better than granting it (which cost mana available which I might often lack)

What do you think of Underworld Connections and cards like Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, etc ... as cheap drawing options ? And cards like Tithe and Gift of Estates to get lands ?
Do I need to play Talismans like Talisman of Progress to ramp more ?
What about Archetype of Imagination ? And my equipment that grant haste ?
Good questions here. I'll try to answer them as best I can.
- One thing you'll learn pretty quickly in this format: creatures die a lot. It's inevitable. There are almost as many ways for creatures to get removed as there are creatures to cast in the first place. You can try to protect your creatures as much as you want, but ultimately it's an uphill battle and you're going to lose it more than you win it. This is why the best commanders are cheaper (easier to recast) and/or naturally resistant to removal in some way.
- You're on the right track with the cheaper card draw spells. Keep in mind that you have access to blue, so you have the best card draw spells in the game at your disposal. Read the Bones is good, Fact or Fiction is better, for example.
- I would highly recommend playing as many non-green Talismans as possible. Most people will be able to play some sort of ramp spell by turn three, but if you can manage to get it in sooner, that's a big advantage.
- Archetype of Imagination is a global effect, and as such gets its value from how many different bodies it affects. If you are able to pump out multiple bodies at once, giving them all flying is a big deal. If you just have one big body, giving it flying for six mana isn't a great deal. In your specific case, I'd look into some equipment to give you some evasion.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

knight_seb

OCPunisher wrote:
3 years ago
- One thing you'll learn pretty quickly in this format: creatures die a lot. It's inevitable. There are almost as many ways for creatures to get removed as there are creatures to cast in the first place. You can try to protect your creatures as much as you want, but ultimately it's an uphill battle and you're going to lose it more than you win it. This is why the best commanders are cheaper (easier to recast) and/or naturally resistant to removal in some way.
I'm a really long time Commander player. I started to play when it was still named EDH more than 10 years ago. Creatures die a lot and I don't focus my decks too much on my General. This deck might be the exception and that's why I struggle with it.

For information my other current Commanders deck are the following :
- WUR : Kykar, which is is transiting from a pillowfort/control deck to a tokens one
- WUG : not built yet, could be a group hug (Pheldaggrif) or a +1/+1 deck (Jenara, Asura of War)
- WBR : Kaalia of the vast
- WBG : Karador, Ghost Chieftain : My oldest deck, started with Teneb the harvester at its helm way before Karador's printing
- WRG : Mayael the Anima : started as a joke ("big guys are coming") but became a strong deck with time
- UBR : not built yet but will be a zombie tribal with Thraximundar at its helm
- UBG : The Mimeoplasm : a bit of milling (but no self milling) and using other players graveyard
- URG : Riku of two reflections : ETB value deck
- BRG : Prossh, Skyraider of Kher : Tokens, sacrifice and death triggers, I don't play it often as it is a combo deck even if I didn't focus on that aspect. It is fast and powerful with a lot of redundancy.
- W : Kemba, Kha Regent : Equipment deck, part voltron, part token. A snowball deck if left unchecked too long but also quite fragile.
OCPunisher wrote:
3 years ago
- You're on the right track with the cheaper card draw spells. Keep in mind that you have access to blue, so you have the best card draw spells in the game at your disposal. Read the Bones is good, Fact or Fiction is better, for example.
- I would highly recommend playing as many non-green Talismans as possible. Most people will be able to play some sort of ramp spell by turn three, but if you can manage to get it in sooner, that's a big advantage.
- Archetype of Imagination is a global effect, and as such gets its value from how many different bodies it affects. If you are able to pump out multiple bodies at once, giving them all flying is a big deal. If you just have one big body, giving it flying for six mana isn't a great deal. In your specific case, I'd look into some equipment to give you some evasion.
I really like the logic behind your advices. Now, I have to make the hard choices to cut cards to add : 3 talismans, Night's Whisper, Read the Bones as I already play Fact or fiction, better saboteur like Cephalid Constable, Nightveil Specter, Thief of Sanity, Fallen Shinobi.

My current equipment section is to give evasion and/or haste to my creatures. Do I need to change things there ?

I was also planning to add Tithe and Gift of Estates as a way to "draw" lands in order to draw better cards after.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Don't listen to these haters. Dakkon is a fine general! (I say this with bias as it was one of my first decks. Extremely old decklist here since I took the deck apart years ago.)

That said, the other posters are correct that Dakkon does nothing except get style points. He is just a vanilla beatstick that requires you to spend extra spell slots just to get damage in. Without going into specific card choices, my best advice is this:

- Run tons of ramp and a high land count. You can't miss a land drop. You'll also need the mana because he WILL die.
- Make him plan B. Let your deck do its thing and then bring him out once you can two-shot a player.

Scanning over your deck list, I see a lot of similarities with mine, in that it played like an Esper control deck early on and then switched gears later. I had decent success doing this, but you'll never compete in a faster meta. Anyway, good luck with the deck. (I'm at work so can't spend too much time here but I'll try to check back later.)
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

knight_seb

Hello guys !

The last two months have gone like a blink of an eye. Even if I didn't get the "saboteurs" you suggested, I made some changes and some tests. It made my deck smoothier but it wasn't enough.
I realize that my creatures must go into battle. I can't use them to defend too often. So I'm opened to attacks. Even if I have some removal, it won't protect me. If I play a boardsweeper, my creatures hit the bin too and my current recursion tools to bring them back from the dead are slow.
One another fact is I don't draw enough. I need to have "beaters" as soon as possible and relying on only a few, lost inside my library, need a strong drawing capacity.

And so, I end with too much cards to put in my deck.

My current deck list is the following one. I organised it the same way as my first one.
Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

And now, here are the cards I could add (after finding which cards to remove)

knight_seb

From my last post, my deck continues to evolve. For instance, i put back a pillow fort part to protect myself from attacks. I also get some saboteurs people advices to play. In a game, I rediscovered the power of Frost titan to "keep in jail" the creature who could kill me for 4 consecutives turns before he was killed. I put more ramp to put my beaters as fastly as possible into action.

Dakkon the umblockable

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Some notes:
Thieving amalgam provides me blockers and with a bit of luck "steal" creatures that could hurt me. It controls also the top of my opponents library.
Debt to the deathless is a emergency backup. I could put Torment of Hailfire instead.
Cabal Coffers is missing here but could take place of Celestial colonnade who I nearly never animate.

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 1 year ago

Updates !
Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

I made a lot of changes since my last post.
I removed :
Deadly tempest : too expensive
Fumigate
Lim-dul Vault : I didn't want to pay life in order to get a card
Tithe : Not so useful
Gift of estates : Not so useful
Glory : replaced by Wonder because the latest is free
Sphinx of steel wind : good but too expensive
Blinding Angel : not so good
Celestial colonnade : I never use the creature part

I added :
Winds of Abandon : boardsweeper while keeping alive my creatures
Time Wipe : Wrath but i keep a creature in the same time
Mind stone : Mana rock
Sensei's divining top : I choose what i draw
Phyrexian Arena : regular draw
Cephalid Constable : i'm testing it
Archon of the triumvirate : Double detain trigger
Rakshasa Debaser : I use other people creature to attack or protect myself
Nimbus Maze : biland

I'm wondering about the following cards :

Damn
Grazilax, Illithid Scholar
Elder Brain
Tivit, Seller of secrets
quietus Spike
Vorpal Sword
Virtus the veiled
Mirko Vosk, Mind drinker
Fallen Shinobi
Silent-blade Oni
Heliod, god of the sun
Loyal Unicorn
Kamiz, Obscura Oculus
Sword of heat and Home
Arcane Signet

What are your thoughts about my deck ? Any advice ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”