Sisay and Urza blow up the world

Theoric
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Theoric » 1 year ago

This fast, competitive, 5-color deck has a toolbox that can deal with any situation.
Both cards required to make this deck go off are in the command zone (Jegantha, the Wellspring is companion).
It usually gets more than a dozen legendary cards on the battlefield by turn 4-5 unless disrupted.
It contains various wincons such as shutting down opponents, smashing face with beefy creatures, stealing and destroying all your opponents' creatures, making infinite felidar guardians with saheeli rai, or destroying everyone's permanents but yours.

It also has a fun theme - it brings out Sisay and some of her original crew, plus the one who built the Weatherlight--Urza.

Sisay and Urza

Commander (1)

Companion (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

How to play this deck

You usually spend the first few turns casting mana dorks/rocks, a haste enabler, Jegantha (or bloom tender/faeburrow elder), then Sisay. Sisay and Jegantha are all you need to bring out all the other legendaries.

After Sisay, Weatherlight Captain and Jegantha, the Wellspring are on the board, a typical Jegantha chain looks something like this:
Tap Jegantha - bring out Derevi, Empyrial Tactician (untap Jegantha) (Sisay is 6/6 now)
Tap Jegantha - bring out Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset (untap Jegantha)
Tap Jegantha - bring out Oath of Teferi (planeswalkers can be used twice now). Use Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset to untap Jegantha.
Tap Jegantha, bring out Aminatou, the Fateshifter. Exile and return Teferi twice for at least 4 more Jegantha activations. You can also bring out the other untapping planeswalkers to bring out more stuff if you want.

From that point you could bring out Jodah, the Unifier, Samut, Voice of Dissent, and other legendary creatures to smash face.

Or you could bring out Derevi, Empyrial Tactician and Merieke Ri Berit and other creatures, then attack and use all of Derevi's untap triggers on Merieke to steal/destroy your opponents' creatures.

Or you could shut down your opponents by bringing out arcum dagsson, Karn, the Great Creator, and saheeli rai (to make an artifact creature) and have arcum sack the artifact for mycosynth lattice. Karn + lattice = nasty.

Or you could destroy your opponents' permanents by bringing out The Mightstone and Weakstone, tap it for mana, then keep untapping it and Jegantha with Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset to fetch Arcum Dagsson, Saheeli Rai, and Urza, Lord Protector . Meld The Mightstone and Weakstone and Urza into Urza, Planeswalker and use Urza's +2 twice, then ultimate next turn. You can protect your own stuff by having Saheeli make a hasted Arcum artifact token that can sacrifice itself to fetch Mycosynth Lattice (Urza's ultimate makes your artifacts indestructible).

*Note: bloom tender and faeburrow elder work great with Saheeli Rai to create a token copy with haste.
Geyadrone Dihada can also give it haste, untap it, and complete the color pie.
Last edited by Theoric 1 year ago, edited 8 times in total.

Tags:

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

I made a Sisay, Weatherlight Captain and Jegantha, the Wellspring back when Companion was released and actually you had a few posts on it :) I literally haven't done anything in 2 years with it, the linear nature wasn't for my taste.

Umm we figured out that you can go infinite by this sequence;
1.) Cast Sisay, Weatherlight Captain.
2.) Cast Jegantha, the Wellspring and with a haste enabler tap to add wubrg.
Sisay, Weatherlight Captain gets +2/+2 with Green and Red {r/g} colored permanents.
3.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner.
4.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
5.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter.
6.) Aminatou, the Fateshifter -1 on Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner.
7.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
8.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Oath of Teferi.
9.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
10.) Aminatou, the Fateshifter -1 on Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner.
11.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.
12.) Teferi, Hero of Dominaria +1 to draw a card.
13.) Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner -1 untaps Jegantha, the Wellspring, then tap to add wubrg.
14.) Teferi, Hero of Dominaria -3 to put Aminatou, the Fateshifter into library.
15.) Activate Sisay, Weatherlight Captain searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter.

At this stage you use one Aminatou, the Fateshifter activation on Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner and the other on Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.
This means that you can activate Sisay searching for Aminatou, the Fateshifter and another legendary permanent of your choice each loop.
You can literally just keep looping and get infinite mana from lands by targeting them with one activation of Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner, the other activation will still target Jegantha, the Wellspring just so you have the mana to search for Aminatou, the Fateshifter each time.
This means you'll get mana that you can spend on colorless mana, not just Jegantha, the Wellspring mana which can't be spent on generic mana.

I had quite a big focus on haste for Jegantha, the Wellspring as you can go off easily if you can tap Jegantha the turn cast for the wubrg.
A turn difference is HUGE in competitive commander.
Need for Speed, Rhythm of the Wild.
Chainer, Nightmare Adept, Domri, Chaos Bringer, Dynaheir, Invoker Adept, Geyadrone Dihada.

I do remember that it's nice to have options if you only have Sisay, Weatherlight Captain on the board. You only have Rhys the Redeemed as a target.
Oath of Nissa and Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer are good options.
I'd play at least one more and you should also have at least one legendary land as a search target as well.
Hall of the Bandit Lord and Minamo, School at Water's Edge were mine.

Theoric

Thanks for the reply, Darren.
darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
I made a Sisay, Weatherlight Captain and Jegantha, the Wellspring back when Companion was released and actually you had a few posts on it :)
Yeah I've been infatuated with the both Sisays since the day they were spoiled. I'm a sucker for tutor generals.
Umm we figured out that you can go infinite by this sequence;
If I wanted to win with an infinite combo there's a really simple one: Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset + The Peregrine Dynamo = infinite life and infinite untapping of creatures and artifacts. So it's basically infinite everything, which doesn't interest me.
I've played this game a long time and I'd rather win by swinging with big creatures and maybe some mass destruction instead of simply saying oops I have the two cards I need so I win.

I had quite a big focus on haste for Jegantha, the Wellspring as you can go off easily if you can tap Jegantha the turn cast for the wubrg.
That is excellent advice. I'll try to trim the fat and include some of your suggestions. Earlier versions of my deck had some of the cards you mentioned, plus torch courier.
I do remember that it's nice to have options if you only have Sisay, Weatherlight Captain on the board. You only have Rhys the Redeemed as a target.
Oath of Nissa and Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer are good options.
I find that turning Sisay into a 3/3 isn't good enough for me. My cheapest untappers are 3cmc and Rhys gets me within reach of those in one turn. I'm a bit on the fence about it though since Rhys is otherwise useless.
Those are great options. The lands I have listed are outdated. I'll fix that.

Theoric

I made some updates after playing some games in a Cedh setting, seeing the rest of Brothers War spoiled, and taking another look at Darren's suggestions.

I feel like the deck would be more efficient if I gave up on the Urza, lattice, Karn wincons, but I like the flavor they provide. I'd like to find room for Teferi Time Raveler too.

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 1 year ago

Are you familiar with RebellSon's Sisay Elk cEDH deck? That's another route you could take. It's accepted as a playable cEDH option. Teferi, Time Raveler is an important part of that list. Your version of Sisay Jegantha definitely gets more style points, though.

Theoric

UnfulfilledDesires wrote:
1 year ago
Are you familiar with RebellSon's Sisay Elk cEDH deck? That's another route you could take. It's accepted as a playable cEDH option. Teferi, Time Raveler is an important part of that list. Your version of Sisay Jegantha definitely gets more style points, though.
Yeah Teferi is awesome. I made a few changes, including one to put him in. I considered myrel, shield of argive which performs a similar and better function since it still allows your opponents to interact with each other, but Teferi is easier to bring out and more versatile.

I looked at Rebell's list before and it's great. I don't have much interest in spending thousands more to make it Cedh, but lists like that are a fantastic tool for streamlining what I do have. This is a theme deck and I love visualizing Urza blowing up the world as though its the legacy weapon doing it, or Karn shutting down your opponents. I'll switch out five cards and drastically change the theme to slivers, pirates, or Sisay's original weatherlight crew. I'll take that over a thoracle win any day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”