Alela, Artful Provocateur - Meddling, Thieving and Pranks

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Decklist

Counterspells

Planeswalker

Approximate Total Cost:

After chirping in on a few threads around Alela, Artful Provocateur, I decided to put theoretical concepts into practice and made a deck.

What I've enjoyed about the deck mostly so far is that it doesn't feel overpowered or underpowered, so has that sweet spot of being competitive in almost any match-up, but still allows for enjoyable games against more casual decks.
I make a lot of focused decks that combo off from their commanders and often just end the game. So having a deck that ticks along and doesn't overwhelm opponents too quickly is honestly a breath of fresh air for me.

I've avoided "buff" cards that don't provide additional abilities. For example cards like Favorable Winds and Intangible Virtue. One of the reasons is that Skullclamp is great at drawing you cards, and giving your Faeries the additional toughness can be a negitive here.
But I do have some cards that give stats bonuses with Etchings of the Chosen, Grand Architect, Scion of Oona, Sorin, Solemn Visitor.
Grand Architect is amazing at casting your artifacts as you can just keep tapping the newly created blue Faeries to cast further artifacts. The ability gets around summoning sickness.

I really like giving your tokens lifelink in the deck as it allows you to go on the offensive with them, and not worry about blocking incoming attacks, as you can retain a healthy life total.
Odric, Lunarch Marshal, Sorin, Solemn Visitor, Teysa Karlov allow you to do this. Sorin, Solemn Visitor giving +1/0 means that you are attacking for at least 3 power each, so if you imagine you're are attacking with 5 Faeries you end up gaining probably 15 life. It's actually huge life swings.

The deck is quite resilient to a number of hate cards that exist in commander, and this is reflected in the fact that it runs some itself.
There is no graveyard recursion, so you don't have to worry about that and including Grafdigger's Cage, Planar Void and Scavenger Grounds are a nod to that.

The deck has a lot of enchantment based draw and one of the strengths of the deck is playing out artifact mana which triggers Alela to make more tokens and then often these tokens draw you more cards via Vampiric Rites, Military Intelligence, Dark Prophecy, Bident of Thassa, Coastal Piracy, Ephara, God of the Polis, Erebos, Bleak-Hearted, Kindred Discovery, Dire Undercurrents.
This just means that you have a steady stream of cards, and build up upon being able to cast more and more spells each turn.

Some of the more powerful interactions you can get with black is sacrifice and targeted removal on creatures using your own tokens as fuel.
Attrition allows you to target non-black creatures, and Grave Pact/Dictate of Erebos are great at causing your opponents to sacrifice their creatures when yours die.
There are a number of ways to kill your own creatures for advantages which helps with this. Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, Erebos, Bleak-Hearted, Vampiric Rites, Etchings of the Chosen can sacrifice your creatures.
Skullclamp is a great way to kill your own tokens as long as you don't have a buff card for toughness.

Reconnaissance has a duel purpose in that it allows you to attack into blockers and you can remove creatures that would die. But also due to how you can time the untapping during combat, you can in fact wait for damage to be applied and then untap during the combat damage step. It's basically a way of cheating vigilance. This just helps you also defend yourself.
Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Tags:

ChocoDude
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ChocoDude » 4 years ago

Thanks for posting your decklist! Very crafty! I like the low overall CMC and the idea of minimizing a playstyle to maximize the effectiveness against it (not using recursion to minimize others use of it). You definitely have some very expensive cards in there which I won't try to obtain, but there's also some excellent cheap cards in there that support your aims. I had never heard of Planar Void or Vampiric Rites until now. I really want to get copies. I've played off and on since Revised, but the last 10 years...nada...due to kids. I like your use of Sorin.

What do you think about using the three artifact lands? And how about Duelist's Heritage? Or maybe Battle Mastery? That could get interesting with Odric. Wouldn't ALL of your attacking creatures then have double-strike? With Alela, they'd have deathtouch and lifelink.

Oh yeah, and your use of Reconnaissance is similar to what folks have talked about on the Varina thread. I like it!!! I have Reconn in my Varina deck. It is a bit better in Varina as simply attacking triggers Varina's ability, but it seems like a great idea with Alela too since it also nets you a 1/1 flyer for cheap.

darrenhabib

ChocoDude wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks for posting your decklist! Very crafty! I like the low overall CMC and the idea of minimizing a playstyle to maximize the effectiveness against it (not using recursion to minimize others use of it). You definitely have some very expensive cards in there which I won't try to obtain, but there's also some excellent cheap cards in there that support your aims. I had never heard of Planar Void or Vampiric Rites until now. I really want to get copies. I've played off and on since Revised, but the last 10 years...nada...due to kids. I like your use of Sorin.

What do you think about using the three artifact lands? And how about Duelist's Heritage? Or maybe Battle Mastery? That could get interesting with Odric. Wouldn't ALL of your attacking creatures then have double-strike? With Alela, they'd have deathtouch and lifelink.

Oh yeah, and your use of Reconnaissance is similar to what folks have talked about on the Varina thread. I like it!!! I have Reconn in my Varina deck. It is a bit better in Varina as simply attacking triggers Varina's ability, but it seems like a great idea with Alela too since it also nets you a 1/1 flyer for cheap.
I do think that Duelist's Heritage is an underrated card, but I don't feel the double strike does much for the deck on it's own.

Sure additional Odric stuff would be nice, but you don't want to be putting in cards hoping to get further interactions with him. Having the lifelink and deathtouch is good enough.

What did you have in mind with the artifact lands? I personally don't have any synergy with them.

Again Teysa Karlov actually requires you to have other cards in play to actually have any effect, like Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, Erebos, Bleak-Hearted, Grave Pact, Dictate of Erebos, Skullclamp.
I just always careful not to play cards that rely heavily on additional cards.

Actually a card that I've thought of is Dark Prophecy as additional draw.

ChocoDude

Well, you'd get a free token with each artifact land off of Alela. Is that too risky to your mana base if someone plays artifact removal on your land?

As for Teysa Karlov, I was thinking if you're using Sorin to give your tokens Lifelink and the +1 buff and/or Odric with Alela to give them Lifelink and Deathtouch that you could give them all Lifelink and Vigilance with Teysa K. The double triggers are an added bonus if you lean into a sub-theme of sac outlets with benefits, which seems to be your case.

darrenhabib

ChocoDude wrote:
4 years ago
Well, you'd get a free token with each artifact land off of Alela. Is that too risky to your mana base if someone plays artifact removal on your land?

As for Teysa Karlov, I was thinking if you're using Sorin to give your tokens Lifelink and the +1 buff and/or Odric with Alela to give them Lifelink and Deathtouch that you could give them all Lifelink and Vigilance with Teysa K. The double triggers are an added bonus if you lean into a sub-theme of sac outlets with benefits, which seems to be your case.
I didn't even read the bottom half of the card of Teysa Karlov giving tokens vigilance and lifelink. She is actually great in the deck for sure.

Unfortunately Alela only produces tokens off casting, so playing a land will not trigger her ability.

ChocoDude

Dohhh!! Well, darn. I didn't read that Alela says "cast" and that artifact lands don't come into play being cast. LOL!! I guess we both helped each other out. Now I need to rejig my mana base slightly.

What do you think about adding Stormscape Familiar as a source for mana ramp? It also helps that it's a flyer.

ChocoDude

Oh wait. Your deck is more Dimir than Orhzov. Stormscape may not work so well for you and certainly not to cast Dark Prophecy. I count 17 cards that it would help with. Probably not worth it then.

darrenhabib

ChocoDude wrote:
4 years ago
What do you think of adding Crashing Drawbridge to your deck? Seems like it might help speed up your combat damage.
That would make Military Intelligence, Bident of Thassa, Coastal Piracy and Kindred Discovery better for sure.
I'm going to give it a try, maybe cut Urza's Bauble

ChocoDude

Yeah, I've been playing it and it's done me well in general. Too bad that it's attached to a creature, such that you don't get haste on the turn it comes into play. But, it's still been decent. I'm enjoying the deck. I really liked your ideas, so I borrowed some of them. My deck is still a work in progress though as I'm trying to gather a few more cards. In the meantime, I started to proxy here and there. I'm not sure why I didn't do that before. Definitely a $$$ saver. Duh!!!

How has Walking Atlas played for you? Seems like it would play nicely with Land Tax, but you're not running it. I took a quick look at your deck and didn't seem much in the way of land "fixing" (to your hand) cards. I've been trying it in my deck which currently employs 36 lands and it's been ok. Maybe I'm missing some interaction there, I really took a cursory look at your deck for land fixing cards prior to writing this. Are you just drawing so many cards that it works well? I don't have my card draw completely fleshed out yet, but it's getting there. Perhaps the Atlas will play better for me after that.

ChocoDude

Also, what do you think about adding Ornithopter to the deck? I haven't tried it out, but you seem to have a serious grasp of the meta in general; something I do not have. I'm not sure how much extra value you get from it, but it's worth a free token with Alela and you can either sack it for card draw or benefit some from it via combat with Alela's or Soren's buff. In some ways, it would be better for this deck with a toughness of 1 for Skullclamp.

ChocoDude

Sorry, got another one for you. What do you think of Idol of Oblivion for this deck? It would be even better with a way to untap it. With Alela on the board you could use it right way, and most likely, once per turn.

darrenhabib

ChocoDude wrote:
4 years ago
How has Walking Atlas played for you? Seems like it would play nicely with Land Tax, but you're not running it. I took a quick look at your deck and didn't seem much in the way of land "fixing" (to your hand) cards. I've been trying it in my deck which currently employs 36 lands and it's been ok. Maybe I'm missing some interaction there, I really took a cursory look at your deck for land fixing cards prior to writing this. Are you just drawing so many cards that it works well? I don't have my card draw completely fleshed out yet, but it's getting there. Perhaps the Atlas will play better for me after that.
I mean Land Tax is always a strong card, just need to support it with the basic lands, which obviously with only 3 of them in my deck isn't the best.
But I think even if you play 5 basic lands Land Tax is worth it, the thinning of lands is a thing to prevent flooding.
Walking Atlas is one of my tech cards for any deck that doesn't have green as a way to get more lands into play, especially in decks that draw a lot of cards potentially.
ChocoDude wrote:
4 years ago
Also, what do you think about adding Ornithopter to the deck? I haven't tried it out, but you seem to have a serious grasp of the meta in general; something I do not have. I'm not sure how much extra value you get from it, but it's worth a free token with Alela and you can either sack it for card draw or benefit some from it via combat with Alela's or Soren's buff. In some ways, it would be better for this deck with a toughness of 1 for Skullclamp.
I think its too low impact of a card, and because it doesn't have any power, doesn't help with Bident of Thassa and Coastal Piracy.
ChocoDude wrote:
4 years ago
Sorry, got another one for you. What do you think of Idol of Oblivion for this deck? It would be even better with a way to untap it. With Alela on the board you could use it right way, and most likely, once per turn.
Never heard of the card. Its just strictly more cost efficient than Ephara, God of the Polis in this deck. Nice spotting.

ChocoDude

Glad to help. I hope those cards work out. Nice call on adding the mana-Myr!! Great idea. I think I'll add them as well and lower my mana count down from 36 to maybe 33 or 34 to add them in.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”