Adeliz, Wizard Storm

Sister Katrei
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sister Katrei » 4 years ago

I'm sharing my build of Adeliz, the Cinder Wind here. I knew I had to make her a deck the moment she was spoiled. It took a while to optimise it, but now I have been playing it for quite some time and it's still fantastic.

Current build is about this:
Adeliz, Storm of Wizardry

CONTROL (3)

1 Foil
Approximate Total Cost:

Wincon is to swing wide with Adeliz and any Wizards that happen to be around. More often than not it ends up being just Adeliz herself with Temur Battle Rage or Insult on her.

The win usually comes in the form of "storming off" with a chain of cheap draw spells in a row, which boost Adeliz and the Wizards, who are usually also unblockable or flying or trampling or what-have-you.

Alternative wincons are based on the same idea - "storming off", often in one turn (Aetherflux Reservoir).

I tend to keep my creatures' mana cost low. I have intentionally ditched non-Wizards (like Guttersnipe, who would otherwise be amazing) and also preferred Wizards that have some utility abilities. I decided I did not need physically strong Wizards - Adeliz will take care of boosting them.

Most of my instants and sorceries are of the sort that they can replace themselves (draw a card) or otherwise enable casting more spells in one turn, again, to skyrocket Adeliz's ability. For the same reason, I preferred instants and sorceries to enchantments and artifacts.

Since my meta is rather wrath-heavy - because it demands being wrath-heavy - I have included some counterspells and various removal of my own in a configuration I would not necessarily have done had our meta been different. (See Shatterstorm, of all things - we have multiple artifact-heavy decks.)

I could list about twice as many cards that I used to run or sometimes swap in or out. Notable mentions could be Runechanter's Pike, Portal Mage, Temporal Fissure or Melek, Izzet Paragon. Usually the issue was mana or simply having to cut something that did not fully synergize (like Melek, who is powerful, but copying does not synergize with Adeliz and he is otherwise on the expensive end. Compare to Etherium-Horn Sorcerer, who is a free spell - but he, too, is one of those I keep flip-flopping about).

Currently trying to find space for more cards like Relentless Assault or Seize the Day at the suggestion from here. But even generally I always have some cards that could go in standing in line, and looking for something to vacate the space.

The problems I keep running into are usually either if the engine stops (despite everything it can still happen - consistency), or if I cannot fire off for multiple rounds because there is too much I need to do and too little mana. Otherwise, when piloted carefully, the deck does not have so much trouble with many other things.

Tags:

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I like your take on Adeliz. It's leaning more into storm and less into prowess than my list, but both definitely work. Mind's Desire is just fun :cool: and Talent of the Telepath is a card that I routinely forget exists, but every time I see it I think, "I really want to play this card!". I originally dismissed Naru Meha, Master Wizard when I was building my list since the +1/+1 seemed paltry compared to Adeliz pumping the team, but since I have a strong copy theme in my list I think I'll reconsider Naru as a way to increase both copy effects and wizards in my list.

A couple choices have me curious, though.

Why Shatterstorm instead of Vandalblast?

Several of the wizards are cards I'm a HUGE fan of in a lot of circumstances, but they seem meh here given the deck's strategy:

Talrand, Sky Summoner and Murmuring Mystic are my boys in my Kykar, Wind's Fury deck, but I don't see the tokens giving you enormous benefits here. Same issue with Metallurgic Summonings imo. I'd recommend Soul-Scar Mage and Dreadhorde Arcanist over them.

You'll usually be trying to storm on your own turn for a big attack, so Jori En, Ruin Diver is only drawing you one extra card per turn cycle most of the time. Nin, the Pain Artist or Niv-Mizzet, Parun would be bigger and more reliable card draw IMO.

Stonybrook Banneret isn't bad, but you are playing more spells than wizards, so I think you'd get more from Baral, Chief of Compliance.

Just my 2 cents.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Sister Katrei

Post by Sister Katrei » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I like your take on Adeliz. It's leaning more into storm and less into prowess than my list, but both definitely work. Mind's Desire is just fun :cool: and Talent of the Telepath is a card that I routinely forget exists, but every time I see it I think, "I really want to play this card!". I originally dismissed Naru Meha, Master Wizard when I was building my list since the +1/+1 seemed paltry compared to Adeliz pumping the team, but since I have a strong copy theme in my list I think I'll reconsider Naru as a way to increase both copy effects and wizards in my list.
Thank you! :) And I'll be happy if any of these inspire you by reminding you of their existence. Talent of the Telepath is so much fun, if only for the situations it can cause! I remember so many games with this one doing something quirky.

Speaking of Naru Meha, Master Wizard, though, that's one of those who are on my list of endangered species. I have her because she boosts my otherwise weaker Wizards, plus she is fairly strong herself, and the Flash helps to avoid board wipes (I can cast her at the end of opponent's turn and immediately attack). Funnily enough, her strongest ability, the copying, is not of so much use to me (especially if I cast her on an opponent's turn). So I'm thinking about cutting her. But in another build, she could be amazing. She could fit yours, I think.
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Why Shatterstorm instead of Vandalblast?
I think it comes to the most boring explanation that I own Shatterstorm and don't own Vandalblast (I know, don't ask how it's possible). And I never bothered to get one. Simple as that. I don't know if it makes so much of a difference, I never had a problem (at least in this deck) with accidentally destroying one of my mana rocks in the process. I don't know if the one mana makes such a difference either. But it simply hasn't been an issue.
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Talrand, Sky Summoner and Murmuring Mystic are my boys in my Kykar, Wind's Fury deck, but I don't see the tokens giving you enormous benefits here. Same issue with Metallurgic Summonings imo. I'd recommend Soul-Scar Mage and Dreadhorde Arcanist over them.

You'll usually be trying to storm on your own turn for a big attack, so Jori En, Ruin Diver is only drawing you one extra card per turn cycle most of the time. Nin, the Pain Artist or Niv-Mizzet, Parun would be bigger and more reliable card draw IMO.

Stonybrook Banneret isn't bad, but you are playing more spells than wizards, so I think you'd get more from Baral, Chief of Compliance.
Thank you! This was exactly what I needed to hear. :) I've been long wondering about Metallurgic Summonings - a voice of doubt from somebody else was all I needed to hear; it goes out right now (probably replaced by one of the extra-attack spells). The other token-making boys I've also been wondering about. The fact is that whenever I had them on board, they were able to produce a lot of tokens, which could be used for chumpblocking if nothing else. But yes, they rarely helped as wincon. I like Talrand, but maybe it is also time to say goodbye.

But what you say about Jori En, Ruin Diver is really an interesting point. I wouldn't have thought of it, but you may be right. Funnily enough, I have recently started thinking about building another Izzet deck with more or less very similar cards, but with Jori En as commander. This happened exactly after I discovered that I had a million of cards that would almost make the cut into this one, but not really, and some that would work much better with Jori (e.g. Irencrag Pyromancer). If I took her out altogether, it would be another incentive to build a Jori En deck, so I could play her somewhere because I also like her. She and Adeliz are in so many ways so similar that one could exactly take the "other path" - explore other directions that I could have built my Adeliz, but decided not to. I'll think about it! :)

In any case, when it comes to card draw - I have been using Arcanis the Omnipotent briefly in the past, but at one point removed him. Do you think he'd deserve getting his space back? He always seemed a tad slow to me. But in long games certainly powerful.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Sister Katrei wrote:
4 years ago
But what you say about Jori En, Ruin Diver is really an interesting point. I wouldn't have thought of it, but you may be right. Funnily enough, I have recently started thinking about building another Izzet deck with more or less very similar cards, but with Jori En as commander. This happened exactly after I discovered that I had a million of cards that would almost make the cut into this one, but not really, and some that would work much better with Jori (e.g. Irencrag Pyromancer). If I took her out altogether, it would be another incentive to build a Jori En deck, so I could play her somewhere because I also like her. She and Adeliz are in so many ways so similar that one could exactly take the "other path" - explore other directions that I could have built my Adeliz, but decided not to. I'll think about it!
Yeah, it's weird how enticing a commander option she is. Like, she's not that powerful really, but she just seems like she'd be FUN.
Highly recommended reading if you're going to build Jori En, as I also plan to do in the (hopefully) somewhat near future:

Jori En - Izzet Cantrips
Brainstorming - Jori End churn

Sister Katrei wrote:
4 years ago
In any case, when it comes to card draw - I have been using Arcanis the Omnipotent briefly in the past, but at one point removed him. Do you think he'd deserve getting his space back? He always seemed a tad slow to me. But in long games certainly powerful.
He's certainly good. Expensive and slow though. I can't imagine running him without some haste/flash enabler. Seems too risky. I think I like the Niv-Mizzets better in Adeliz. You could also take a page out of my book and run Dragon Mage, Arjun, the Shifting Flame, and Mindmoil :cool:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”