Anax and Cymede - MTGO

Inkeyes22
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Inkeyes22 » 4 years ago

So I go back and forth with MTGO but I don't really want to spend a lot of money on it. I play almost exclusively on Arena as I like the interface a lot more but it doesn't have the card pool and 1v1 isn't my favorite way to play either. I have this built, but it really needs some upgrades. I would prefer to keep it under 9 tix (as that is what I have in the account already). If anyone would like to check it out that would be appreciated. I basically try to cycle through stuff to punch hard with A&C. Hoping that people kind of ignore the Boros player with crappy cards until it is just 1-2 opponents and I can knock them out quickly.

Here is the updated list, I got quite an improvement with just over $20. I do still want to find a few more options, I might add Skullclamp but I don't run a ton of creatures and I really would like to keep the ones that I do have (or make) around to get +1/+1 and trample bonuses.

Ajani's Presence
Bandage
Cloudshift
Defiant Strike
Ephemerate
Gods Willing
Launch the Fleet
Myth Realized
Recruit the Worthy
Sheltering Light
Adamant Will
Conviction
Feat of Resistance
Guided Strike
Shelter
Battle Screech
Crimson Wisps
Expedite
Reckless Charge
Red Elemental Blast
Renegade Tactics
Titan's Strength
Fists of Flame
Temur Battle Rage
Goblinslide
Goblin War Party
The Birth of Meletis
Idyllic Tutor
Ritual of Rejuvenation
Nightbird's Clutches
Psychotic Fury
Twinflame
Equal Treatment
Heliod's Intervention
Purphoros's Intervention
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Crown of Flames
Mark of Fury
Seething Anger
Madcap Skills
Seize the Day

Boros Guildgate
Evolving Wilds
10 Mountain
13 Plains
Slayers' Stronghold
Wind-Scarred Crag
Tectonic Edge
Command Tower
Clifftop Retreat
Battlefield Forge
Arid Mesa
Inspiring Vantage
Kjeldoran Outpost
Path of Ancestry
Rugged Prairie
Sacred Foundry
Temple of Triumph

Phalanx Leader
Vanguard of Brimaz
Tethmos High Priest
Fabled Hero
Wingsteed Rider
Akroan Crusader
Electrostatic Field
Firebrand Archer
Thermo-Alchemist
Guttersnipe
Zada, Hedron Grinder
Signal Pest
Favored Hoplite
Hero of Iroas
Sram, Senior Edificer
Heliod's Pilgrim
Anax, Hardened in the Forge
Taranika, Akroan Veteran
Feather, the Redeemed
Last edited by Inkeyes22 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

It's crazy you posting this, because I've been trying to work out an in-depth post on my current Enchantress Anax and Cymede deck. My deck is in paper though and don't know anything about what things come out to in tix, so...it would take me a bit to figure out suggestions. That being said, I'm a little surprised not to see Feather in here, since you're focused on spells.

From what I recall about Antis' build from the Commander forums--and having played against it a number of times--he always seemed to win off the back of double strike effects since Anax and Cymede's trample makes the additional damage insane. You have some of that already, but I don't know how much you'd want to go that direction.

There were some newer heroic-like cards in the new Theros set, like Hero of the Nyxborn. If you wanted to stick to using mostly heroic cards, some of the new ones might be worth looking into. I'll take a closer look at your list soon.

Inkeyes22

I think I will pick up Feather, I am very open to all the things and have thought about paying for a draft and forcing r/w just to get some newer stuff. Most of what I have I got for free or from the Modern Horizons draft I did. Wish I could grab Antis' list, grumble grumble.

I just picked up:

The Birth of Meletis
Taranika, Akroan Veteran
Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis
Heliod's Intervention
Anax, Hardened in the Forge
Purphoros's Intervention
Haktos the Unscarred

For about 4 tix. I should probably look at the mana base, but I know that isn't gonna be 5 tix or less...

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 4 years ago

Seize the day seems stupid good with this general, but I don't know how cheap it is online.

Segrus

Inkeyes22 wrote:
4 years ago
Wish I could grab Antis' list, grumble grumble.
You and me both. Can't even contact him anymore--I'll just forever have a friend halfway around the world that I may never get to speak to again. In any case, for my post I'd been trying to reverse engineer his list out of my memory (which is in a sorry state, but it's all I've got).

I do know some of his key cards were Seething Anger, Mark of Fury, Crown of Flames and Madcap Skills. I use most of these too, honestly. You might also look to see if Boros Charm can be gotten for a small amount of tix (scryfall is claiming you can find the Gatecrash version for 0.06).

While I'm still taking in what you've got here, I'm a little struck by how little card draw you have outside of cantrip stuff tacked onto spells. We may need to find you a steadier draw engine in addition to Feather to keep you in the game. I also wonder if you couldn't make great use of Impact Tremors with all the tokens you can make.
weltkrieg wrote:
4 years ago
Seize the day seems stupid good with this general, but I don't know how cheap it is online.
It is really good if you can get to the mana reliably. But it does look like it's around 1.20 tix.

Inkeyes22

Those of you that know me won't be suprised, but I did a thing...
I bought some cards for $21.59. I figure I will play it at least that much (I got the boosters because it was a good deal on original Theros and I want to draft TBD once at least.)
Arid Mesa ZEN 1
Battlefield Forge M15 1
Boros Charm GTC 1
Clifftop Retreat DAR 1
Command Tower PZ1 1
Crown of Flames TE 1
Heliod's Pilgrim UMA FOIL 1
Hero of Iroas BNG 1
Inspiring Vantage KLD 1
Kjeldoran Outpost VMA FOIL 1
Madcap Skills GTC FOIL 1
Mark of Fury UD FOIL 1
Path of Ancestry PZ2 1
Path to Exile PRM 1
Plateau VMA 1
Rugged Prairie EVE 1
Sacred Foundry GRN 1
Seething Anger ST 1
Seize the Day UMA 1
Sram, Senior Edificer AER 1
Swords to Plowshares TD0 1
Temple of Triumph THS 1
Theros Beyond Death Booster THB 3
Theros Booster THS 3

Segrus

That's a lot of good cards to add into the deck. How have all the low-cost cantrip cards working for you? Wish we could take advantage of Dreadhorde Arcanist to replay them all. But if you get either Feather or Zada, I'd assume you'd be golden.
Your Decklist
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

I forgot about Rally the Righteous probably being crazy good with the right setup.

Inkeyes22

@Segrus Thank you! I have played about a dozen games with it and I actually have won more than half of them. I either make a friend and then kill everybody else or I flounder around doing a whole lot of nothing. I dropped another $30 and built Edgar Markov, I have been switching between the two and not sure which I like better. Tempted to build a third deck but I really want to limit the amount of $$ I spend on MODO, I just feel like Arena is eventually going to take over and so having the cards on MODO is a waste. There isn't really any movies I want to see so that is where the budget is coming from, lol.

Nobody really likes Edgar though and I have had one person upset that I didn't kill the Anje Falkenrath player quick enough (they combo'ed out on t4 with Animate Dead/Worldgorger Dragon). I have yet to have any salt because of A&C so that makes me want to keep playing them. Maybe I should try a different build? Rather than low cmc cantrips I go enchantments? Maybe I should try Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest?

Segrus

I really think Anax and Cymede gets forgotten among the other Boros commanders, especially with Butch and Sundance and Feather being so interesting (and in the case of Feather, especially strong). So I think this perception helps them slip under the radar at tables to give you a fighting chance. Winning more than half of the games you played is pretty darn good though! Not sure you really need to switch over to enchantments if you're getting those numbers, sheesh. If it ends up that you're at all interesting in an enchantment build, I did post my list awhile back.

And yeah, I don't blame you for being afraid of MODO disappearing under the looming Arena. We went and saw the movie 1917 last week, which left me constantly thinking about it for days. But otherwise, yeah, not a lot of movie-going.

Inkeyes22

@Segrus Sorry, didn't mean for it to come off as a complaint, winning more than 25% is more than fine for me. I have a bad habit of not liking to play the same thing for more than a few games. I might see how much it will cost to switch over to your build and if it is less than $15ish might try it out. I like being the more aggro player on MODO as I often play while at work (shhhh don't tell anybody) so I often have brain focused on other things.

Really tempted to build Karador but that means buying a lot of Green and I am sure several expensive W/B cards too. So many decks that I want to play, wish you could just get credit for the physical cards you already own.

Segrus

Inkeyes22 wrote:
4 years ago
Segrus Sorry, didn't mean for it to come off as a complaint, winning more than 25% is more than fine for me. I have a bad habit of not liking to play the same thing for more than a few games. I might see how much it will cost to switch over to your build and if it is less than $15ish might try it out. I like being the more aggro player on MODO as I often play while at work (shhhh don't tell anybody) so I often have brain focused on other things.

Really tempted to build Karador but that means buying a lot of Green and I am sure several expensive W/B cards too. So many decks that I want to play, wish you could just get credit for the physical cards you already own.
I didn't think you were complaining :)
If I could play while at work, I probably would. Honestly, if my office wasn't mostly older, more traditionally oriented people in terms of hobbies, I'd try to set up a Commander game during lunch every day.

Depends on what you want to do with Karador, but having built a few different budget options for commanders it's likely possible to do the same with Karador. I haven't tried though.

Is there anything else you want out of this Anax and Cymede deck? Is there a deficiency you'd like to see improved? Or a different direction entirely?

Inkeyes22

Not really, it seems to play pretty well. It isn't the fastest deck but it can overcome the wrath or two and does some pretty decent damage. I have thought about putting more token generators (Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin or Assemble the Legion) but it is fine. The honeymoon period is just over so looking to change things up to maybe get back that desire. I might just leave it alone and play it here and there. I played 5 games with Edgar today and zero with A&C, but Edgar is getting kinda old too. I might try to lower the curve as I have to hit harder/faster with him to stand a chance as I am almost always public enemy #1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”