Tolsimir, Friend to Corpses

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

So! My wife has finally decided to branch out from her Kaalia deck (after 3 years of playing Kaalia) and she's decided to build out a Wolf deck. She's an NC State Aluni, where the mascot is a Wolf, and so she wanted to build a Selesnya Wolf deck. With some initial guidance, this is the list that she settled on. I'll be posting it here so that we can keep track of any changes she wants to make to the decklist. Her initial testing has shown that this deck is really quite powerful once it gets going and it's able to eat a large number of creatures fairly consistently, hence the Thread title.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

It's a pretty robust deck, strangely, even it it does take a while to get going. It's not the fastest deck from a ramp perspective, but my wife enjoys slowing it down with this deck vs. her Kaalia deck.

Haman

Post by Haman » 4 years ago

I think if you cannot get tolsmir out before the rest of the wolves consistently then the deck just fall apart.. so I probably made room for a little more lands or ramp..
You can try The Wanderer, for unfair fight
Scapegoat , sacrifice a token return your team to recast

benjameenbear

Thanks for chiming in! This list is a reflection of my wife's current decklist that she brewed all by herself, so there are definitely improvements that could be made. The Wanderer is a pretty good suggestion. Any others?

I think an optimized list could look something like this (WIP):

Optimized Tolsimir
Approximate Total Cost:

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

I have a malamute wolf dog and built tolsimir for him... It's a fun deck to play and fairly competent but does fall apart sometimes. I've had games where I get hell-bent and can't really do anything. Scapegoat is a fun idea, and I just threw an erratic portal in to try and achieve a similar end. Guardian project should probably find it's way in too
Responds well to spells and abilities

benjameenbear

Agreed. Especially if you're adding in the Portal you should be able to trigger the Project repeatedly.

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

Forgot to mention, Mark of asylum does similar work to the wanderer but I often found myself wanting almost any other card so I cut both. vigor is a house unto himself tho. I'll have to take a look at the deck again and see if there were some other nifty tricks of note. I remember the banding wolves being fun and if budget isn't an issue master of the hunt is an excellent mana sink and scales well with anthems

EDIT
Not at all on theme but I imagine temur sabertooth could work even better than erratic portal because multiple activations. Might be fun with the flashy wolves, but most people probably won't be too scared of your open mana
Responds well to spells and abilities

Haman

Post by Haman » 4 years ago

I have a budget tolsmir, I ran shared summons,
The cards I usually fetch : Wolfbriar Elemental, Temur Sabretooth, Wren's run packmaster and eternal witness and Keeper of Progenitus.
Wolfbriar Elemental + Temur Sabretooth = not that funny anymore

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”