Lost Tribe: Colorless Slivers

Segrus
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

I have a feeling you may be taking a couple of double takes at this list and wondering to yourself what in the heck I'm doing here. That's a normal reaction to something as ridiculous as this is. But first, understand that I've built Sliver decks in the past. They've been my favorite creature type for a long time, having started by building both Meat Sliver and Counter Slivers for kitchen table type shenanigans. From there, I went Overlord for awhile until Hivelord came out. And while a "true" tribal Sliver deck under Hivelord has been my primary Sliver deck, I've long toyed with different other commanders like Saskia and Roon and Grenzo. So I've been open to somewhat obscure Sliver builds.

This deck's concept and design stems from a conversation elsewhere about building decks with the anti-color identity of its commander. Like playing Muldrotha, but only being allowed Boros cards. Somebody joked about Sliver decks would finally be acceptable to play since they'd be colorless and so you couldn't include any good Slivers. Well, here we are: trying to build colorless Slivers (Colorless Commander identity).

What Colorless Slivers Are There?

There's about 12 of them, which isn't a lot. Most would probably argue that's not worth building a deck around, and also suggest this doesn't qualify as a Sliver deck. Maybe you're right, but I'm doing it anyway and I'd like to keep building up the deck as more cards get printed.

The other glaring issue is getting out Sliver Hivelord at all. Considering I'm dedicated to the colorless identity for the deck, my lands will have to be a bit wacky and I'll need a lot of deck space for colored ramp. I think I've got that mostly covered, with some room for improvement. Side note: I picked Sliver Hivelord as the commander over Legion since I felt indestructible might be more useful, Overlord since there wouldn't be a lot to search up, and The First since I didn't think the cascade would be as effective without more Slivers to cast. Also I still don't own the very expensive Sliver Queen.

Where I'm out now is moving out of the hyper casual zone. Landing Hivelord has happened every game, but I'm not quite closing out the game in less than a snail's pace. I'm at peace with this deck not being anything other than casual--just could stand to be slightly better. I think I may be good on card draw. Removal seems a little weak though, my problem being that I don't want to sweep all my own artifacts or accidentally exile/sacrifice Hivelord and cause everything else to become vulnerable. I'm happy to hear some thoughts on improving what's here.
Last edited by Segrus 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Hey, very interesting list. Just some syntax stuff you can do to help people understand your deck list better.

There is a attribute that you can add to your deck list tag that presents your list in either converted-mana-cost (which you obviously want to), price, etc.
So if you have your deck tag like below, then you can make the number next to your cards the quantity (of course "1" other than basic lands), rather than manually adding converted-mana-costs.
[deck view="cmc"]
The reason is that people can then review the deck stats, by looking at "charts". At the moment because of the way you've done it it thinks that you have 251 cards in the deck.

Also as a personal choice of mine, I would separate your cards into function rather than card types (artifacts, creatures, land) as it can make it immediately more obvious what your deck is trying to do.
So for example I would make your groups:
  • Sliver creatures
  • Sliver generators
  • Non-Sliver creatures
  • Utility Artifacts
  • Artifact mana
  • Lands

Morophon, the Boundless is a colorless Sliver.

These are all artifacts that can copy creatures/artifacts.
Cogwork Assembler, Minion Reflector, Mirage Mirror, Mirror of the Forebears, Mirrorworks, Mizzium Transreliquat, Phyrexian Metamorph, Sculpting Steel, Soul Foundry.

Segrus
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Hey, very interesting list. Just some syntax stuff you can do to help people understand your deck list better.
Thanks for the interest. I've tried posting it in a few other places without any real luck so far. And also thanks for the additional help with decklist cmcs--I'll make some changes soon.
Also as a personal choice of mine, I would separate your cards into function rather than card types (artifacts, creatures, land) as it can make it immediately more obvious what your deck is trying to do.
I did think about this, and decided to at least get everything out there first before I made additional categories or such. Some people like to see card types before they see specialized categories, so going with default sounded best.
Morophon has 5-color identity. :(
Similar problem with Mizzium Transreliquat and Phyrexian Metamorph. Maybe I wasn't clear enough on sticking to a colorless identity.

Mirrorworks is already in the deck. Such a great card.

My problem with Cogwork Assembler is that the super high activation cost doesn't mesh well with the artifact selection I currently have. Namely that there aren't a ton of cards which have ETB effects and copying a Sliver Construct won't generally be very strong (since the token exiles at the end of the turn). Sort of in a similar way, I've been concerned that Soul Foundry will too often end up as a do-nothing card in my hand while I wait for a creature to come along (and Minion Reflector fits in here a little bit too). But I have given heavy consideration towards Mirage Mirror, Mirror of the Forebears, and Sculpting Steel. I think Mirage Mirror sits at the top of those, since combining it with Hivestone lets me make an indestructible copy of an opponent's creature or just getting the benefit of somebody else's strong card. It's possible I've been underestimating how good the other two are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”