SQUEEEEEEEEEEE

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Squee, the Immortal

This deck is a combo who primarily executes in finite loops. You could possibly consider this to be a big mana aristocrats style of concept with some control effects splashed in. My preference is to not build for infinite combo and while you can go infinite with my list or this commander, I generally would consider Kiki Jiki or Krenko to be much stronger commanders if you want to focus on infinite loop wins.

Deck's Objectives:

1. Cost reduce Squee.
    1. Reduce the 1 to cast Squee via cards like Goblin Warchief, Ruby Medallion, and Hazoret's Monument.
    2. Reduce the R to cast Squee via cards like Skirk Prospector, Thermopod, and Phyrexian Altar.
  2. Make casting Squee matter via things like Purphoros, God of the Forge, Stalking Vengeance, and Burning Vengeance.
  3. Generate more mana so we can Squee more.
Looking at our objectives above, you can see our goal is really to chain gun Squee. Getting up to mana, reducing the cost per cast, and making him entering and leaving play matter is really the goal of this deck. Once you get spinning up its not unheard of to be able to loop squee on the upper end of 10+ times in a turn. In my meta this deck is known as the Squee Cannon.

Deck History:

I have been on and off of playing this deck essentially since shortly after Squee came out. My buddy Tryno tried looking into building it one day and I jokingly started looking into how to build it (better than he was). After a while I was hooked. I have put it away a few times often because its a bit challenging to defend itself as red strategies are often aggressors and play defense poorly. Given a few more sweeeeeeet new cards recently that came out I just had to pick it back up for more testing.

Squee, the Immortal

COMMANDER (1)

INSTANT (3)

PLANESWALKER (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

I wanted to keep the OP clean so I am immediately bumping with the changes from when I last played it when my list was on MTGSalvation.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I wanted to keep the OP clean so I am bumping this right away. These are the changes since when I had the list together last over on MTGSalvation.

Changes in updating:
  • Stalking VengeanceSkyfire Phoenix Stalking Vengeance has proven that its very expensive to cast and something I was only really willing to cast assuming I had all the other pieces assembled. It was a valid wincon but it didn't have much versatility to it. The Phoenix is great with sac for value triggers, buys me additional defenses, and just seems like a reasonable card to have on hand. Its really the sort of value I want with Squee. It unfortunately does enable a few infinites with cost reduction effects mixed with mana alters but the number of cards for that to happen is incredibly high as its cost reducer + mana alter (that doesn't only sac goblins) + value generator on things entering / dying + the Phoenix.
  • Vicious ShadowsNesting Dragon similarly to Stalking Vengeance I just found I wasn't casting Shadows outside of being set up to try to win. I found it a bit narrow and I want more defenses. Really I just need ways to preserve my life and live longer. I considered a number of defensive creatures but ultimately what I liked about Nesting Dragon was that I have sac outlets in this deck that can control the tokens I can make off of it and getting one of those tokens every turn sounded reasonable.
  • Light Up the StageIgnite the Future I really don't have great ways to trigger spectacle. I can do it, it just seems like if I don't then Ignite is a far superior effect. The flashback on Ignite also looks really good to have in the back pocket.
  • Smuggler's CopterTome of Legends swap for superior draw. Tome will get a bunch of counters just by squee doing his thing so it should be good solid draw.
  • Buried RuinBlast Zone I just haven't been using the ruin nearly enough. The utility of being able to destroy enchantments and such seems really good to have on hand.
  • Vance's Blasting CannonsOutpost Siege I was about to include Pashalik Mons and I think I did a little testing briefly when he came out but I realized Outpost Siege was less fragile and could be draw instead. Beyond that I have some token / recursion on squee loops that isn't goblin based so the Siege would be better with that stuff. Beyond that, Outpost Siege can play lands but Cannons cannot.
  • Azor's GatewayAnax, Hardened in the Forge I realized that I don't have that many situational cards and that tends to be where Azor shines. I like the idea of flipping Azor but honestly the card is a lot better when you find the appeal of filtering to be the reason running it. Anax looks like a really sweet card giving me tokens on Squee deaths and honestly, he seems like he could easily have a decent attack value on him. The fact that his tokens can't block do suck but I have a lot of things I can sacrifice and move tokens to so I think its worth testing him.
  • 1 MountainDwarven Mine given its still a mountain and probably enteres untapped, I suppose I should make this swap. A free body can be used in a number of ways by this deck.
  • Wheel of FortuneCommander's Sphere I am oddly getting to the point that I really only like wheel tactics when playing fast tempo and ramp style of decks. In the past I would put Wheel in every red deck and I am happy to find that that is slowly becoming less of the norm. I figured I could use a bit more ramp and the fact that Commander's Sphere gives me red mana and can sac to draw seems beneficial to me.
  • Fiery ConfluenceRekindling Phoenix Trying to bolster my ability to defend myself more. I tried for a while to be heavier on sweepers as a means of defense but it just wasn't working out so well so I am shifting some of my more questionable sweepers to more of an active defense plan.
  • Chandra, FlamecallerLoyal Apprentice Planeswalkers are super hard for me to defend in this list. Chandra can defend herself to some degree but its still kind of situational. In shifting away from sweepers a little to a more active defense I like that Loyal Apprentice gives me more bodies in play as I can use those to poke at opposing planeswalkers or sac them among other options.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tryno

Post by Tryno » 4 years ago

It was a darker time in my deck building. I am glad it ended up being cool though, look at that sweet tech.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Vrondiss

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

One more quick change.

DECK CHANGE:
  • Door of DestiniesSoul-Guide Lantern I realized that I haven't actually had very good results from Door of Destinies. The issue lies in the fact that Squee lacks any evasion and my total goblins in deck are somewhat low with no real goblin token generation. If I had more of a swarm goblin tactic then I think it would be fine. As it stands, it feels like I have too much reliance on a Warstorm Surge effect or a means to give flying. Beyond that, I have some issues with how much time and mana it takes to spin up the Door. Beyond that, people tend to panic and smash this artifact with a big priority emphasis. I like adding the lantern as another grave hate or cheap cantrip option.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”