Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Estrid, the Masked, Enchanted I'm Sure

Commander

Lands matter

Artifacts

Approximate Total Cost:

+2
: Untap each enchanted permanent you control.

The main idea behind the deck, is that there are 25 "enchant land" Auras, so that this ability will mean that you have access to an incredible amount of mana each turn.

: Create a white Aura enchantment token named Mask attached to another target permanent. The token has enchant permanent and totem armor.

This ability allows you to put "totem armor" onto any card. This means if a permanent enchanted by an Aura with totem armor would be destroyed, the Aura is destroyed instead. If that permanent is a creature, all damage is removed from that creature.
So you can setup protection against removal for key cards. You can also potentially setup your own mass removal and plan to keep certain cards in play to gain advantage.
She also allows you to simply target lands, so that her +2 can also be used to gain you additional mana without needing any further cards.

: Put the top seven cards of your library into your graveyard. Return all non-Aura enchantment cards from your graveyard to the battlefield, then do the same for Aura cards.

Can be used as a way to safe-guard against board wipes.

Enchantress Draw

This is a classic "enchantress" deck, with the main content being...well enchantments. It has a lot of the typical draw cards based around this theme.

The main drive behind the deck is to get at least one or hopefully a few of the cards that allow you to draw cards when you cast enchantments.
You have Argothian Enchantress, Sythis, Harvest's Hand, Enchantress's Presence, Setessan Champion, Mesa Enchantress, Verduran Enchantress, Satyr Enchanter, Tuvasa the Sunlit, Eidolon of Blossoms.

Enchant Lands (Auras)

With your "enchant land" cards, because most of them provide additional mana, means that their mana cost for casting them in a turn is truly less taxing, and in fact with Estrid +2, will probably gain you mana for the turn. So if you can imagine that with enchantment draw cards, that you are not only replacing the enchant lands (or gaining cards), but also gaining mana in the very same turn they are cast. Very efficient way of getting through your deck at speed.

The same also goes for casting Estrid, if you've established some enchant lands, then because of her ability to untap mana, you can cast her and get additional mana for other spells. So in this way she can be thought of as casting for free when you get setup. This also means that you can cast her out multiple times in the face of creature attacks, although you do have to be careful not to get her commander tax up too high.

One excellent combination you are looking for is to put an enchant land on Serra's Sanctum, so that you can Estrid +2 untap it for double the mana.
Planewalker untapping lands

Not only do we have Estrid to untap lands, but also Garruk Wildspeaker, Nissa, Worldwaker, Teferi, Temporal Archmage.

Combine these with the enchant lands, and they all cost basically nothing or actually net you mana the turn you play them, and on subsequent turns they provide more mana than God.

Oath of Teferi can double the amount of activation's you can do with Estrid and planeswalker company, so you can untap your lands that have Auras twice in a turn, as well as build to her ultimate -7 over just one full round with opponents having a turn.

Nissa, Worldwaker only untaps Forests, so you can be careful about getting lands with Forest type with your fetches in preparation for playing her.

I know The Chain Veil can go infinite with Estrid and putting an Aura on it and lands with enchantments that can produce at least four mana, but it is a very specialized card and the deck is running Stony Silence and Energy Flux and honestly the deck runs super efficiently without the need for this particular infinite.
It is a card that you can run however if you want to try and combo with it, and will be super strong to winning games.

Locking Down Opponents' Mana

There are a few Spike cards in Stasis, Winter Orb and Static Orb. With the ability to untap so many lands with Estrid, it just means it's too hard to pass up on these interactions.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I totally understand if your play group doesn't like or allow these to be played, so there are plenty of alternative ways to interact with your opponents.
Anything from running some more counterspells or instant removal like Nature's Claim, or even more enchantments that have removal themselves like Seal of Primordium.
With lots of enchantment mana and not artifacts, it makes sense to run artifact hate cards in a format where almost every opponent will have them in some capacity in their decks.
Stony Silence can lock down artifacts, while Energy Flux can really nullify any additional mana that artifacts might provide.
Energy Flux also works well with Stasis, Winter Orb and Static Orb.
With Estrid ability to untap, you should have the means to pay for these cards, even in combination with having Energy Flux.

Urban Burgeoning is special in that it not only provides synergy with Estrid +2, but you can use it to have the mana to pay for Stasis if Estrid is removed.

Protecting the Board

To really prevent removal Greater Auramancy and Sterling Grove can offer amazing protection for your enchantments.
If you can combine a mix of these then it's impossible for your opponents to target your enchantments.

Winning the Game

Because the deck is super focused on draw and mana, "win conditions" are the secondary concern, as once you have your engine going then you can choose from a number of options.

Combined with any Enchantress, Words of Wind can be used as both a draw card and as a way of locking your opponents out of permanents. With tons of mana you can afford to keep paying 1 to pick up cheap enchantments, so that you can replay it to draw more cards. You can simply pick up an enchant land that provides additional mana, so the cost of them is at a reduced rate.
Once you have two Enchantress cards in play then you can go infinite by returning Estrid, the Masked to give you infinite mana.
You can easily make your opponents pick up all their permanents including lands and make infinite 3/3 Beasts with Garruk Wildspeaker and attack with haste with Finale of Devastation.
Last edited by darrenhabib 8 months ago, edited 7 times in total.

Tags:

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 8 months ago

I was looking at Auras for Yenna, Redtooth Regent and I couldn't help but think of this deck from back-in-the-day.
I haven't looked at cards for this deck since Theros Beyond Death, so as you can imagine there are some good cards since then. The deck is and has always been a powerhouse but it is one of those very solitaire styles that I moved away from. But its super consistent and powerful. Additional mana and draw is always a formula for winning.

There are 8 new Enchant Lands that are beneficial. 6 are more mana producers and 2 are actually removal in On Thin Ice, Ossification.

There are some nice Enchantment matters in Sythis, Harvest's Hand, Composer of Spring.
Shigeki, Jukai Visionary is an Enchantment, so makes sure you have a trigger for your Enchantress each turn, but also fill your graveyard for a possible Estrid [-7]
I thought Yenna, Redtooth Regent would be really fun in this deck because you can easily double up on your Enchant Lands in a single turn because of the way she untaps with Auras. You'll often get additional mana when you create a new token, so paying for Yenna, Redtooth Regent 2 each time is no problem.

To make room for these, I removed a couple of full concepts like using graveyard as a major resource. I found rather than aiming for Estrid [-7], you are just always want to Estrid [+2] to untap all your mana because you have powerful draw mechanics.

Arebennian

Post by Arebennian » 2 months ago

Played the deck recently?

Is Shigeki, Jukai Visionary worth it if you are off the fill up the graveyard strategy anyway?

Also have you seen the new set? Any room for Case of the Locked Hothouse, On the Trail and Buried in the Garden?

How has Composer of Spring been performing?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”