Siona, Captain of the Pyleas - Recruiting Thirsty Soldiers - Super Budget Build (Under $100)

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

If I knew Siona was going to be Captain of my regiment, sign me up. Amazon women warriors from The Paradise Islands Meletis..heck yeah. No wonder she is getting new recruits.

I started theory-crafting around her, and was initially working on an unlimited budget build. However after nearing it's completion, it just looked uninspired compared to other legendary creatures at the helm that could do much more powerful things given the card choices.

I figured that if you focus your attention on particular combo(s), which is mainly Shielded by Faith to give you unlimited tokens, then you might as well maximize your chances of success on this.
There is another combo involving Reins of the Vinesteed and a sacrifice outlet for creatures. There are a ton of ways to sacrifice creatures in the deck.

With her ability "When Siona, Captain of the Pyleas enters the battlefield, look at the top seven cards of your library. You may reveal an Aura card from among them and put it in your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.", we have a lot of cards that allow you to bring her back onto the battlefield. This will allow you to keep triggering her ability and digging for the combo(s).

As long as you don't shuffle your library, then your chances of revealing a particular card you want go up each time you trigger her.
Let's say you cast Siona, Captain of the Pyleas on Turn 3, having drawn 10 cards already. This shows the chance of revealing Shielded by Faith assuming no other draw, each time you trigger her.

Card poolChance of reveal
907.8%
838.4%
769.2%
6910.1%
6211.3%
5512.7%

So one very important element of this is that you don't want to be shuffling your library. And this is great for not spending money on expensive tutors that often competitive decks demand. Things like Enlightened Tutor, Idyllic Tutor, Green Sun's Zenith and the ilk can be done away with.
This is one of the main reasons that you can focus on a budget build, as she becomes a pseudo tutor.

Another way of getting additional Siona triggers is using Astral Drift with a select number of cycling cards. Not too many of them, mainly in the form of some of your land base. Astral Slide is not in the deck, as the cycling package is minimum.

Skybind will allow you to exile Siona each turn as you will always have an enchantment to cast.

There are a number of instants and creatures that will allow you to flicker Siona, and you can also use these to protect your other creatures from removal as well. Some have effects that return to play immediately so are good against targeted removal, and some have return to play at end of turn, which means you can use it against mass removal.

The deck has a lot of Auras that will shut down activated abilities of creatures and in fact permanents your opponents control. So with Siona ability to dig deep for Auras you can slow down or stop the game plan of opponents enough to help you assemble your combo.

There is also a full enchantress draw suite because the deck has so many enchantments.

Even though Siona is able to produce a token creature when an Aura is attached to a creature you control, this build isn't too focused on being a token generating deck outside of infinite combos.
However there is Detainment Spell and Felidar Umbra that you can use to produce a token for each 1w you spend.
Also Flickering Ward and Whip Silk can produce tokens with each ww or gg you spend respectively, and they can keep triggering your enchantress draw, which is great value.

There are numerous ways to return cards from your graveyard in case of removal or even mill putting your combo cards (or other) into your graveyard.

The most expensive cards in the deck are Argothian Enchantress, Blasting Station and Ashnod's Altar. I feel like they are essential enough that they warrant the expense.

Siona, Captain of the Pyleas - Budget Build

Cycling

Graveyard recursion

Approximate Total Cost:

Upgrading the deck.
There are some excellent cards that you can add to the deck.

Phyrexian Altar would allow for infinite mana with Reins of the Vinesteed, and with the enchantress draw cards, you'll have a good shot at drawing as many cards as you want.

Darksteel Mutation and Song of the Dryads are excellent further Auras that shut down opponents cards.

Ghostway is a premium exile creatures card.

Knight of Autumn is another Reclamation Sage effect, that you can use your flicker cards on for further reuse.

Eternal Witness for graveyard recursion, and again can be combined with flicker effects for further reuse.

Without only a few artifacts in the deck Stony Silence is a great hate card.

Smothering Tithe can really do work some games to give you additional mana.

Aura Shards is starting to break the bank, but maybe you already have one?

Ways to make sure your spells get through are; Silence, Grand Abolisher, Dosan the Falling Leaf, Dragonlord Dromoka.

Greater Auramancy, Sterling Grove and Privileged Position are excellent at protecting your enchantments.

There are heaps of much more expensive cards you could add to the mix, but I feel the cards I mentioned above are still within a reasonable budget if you wanted to go a little bit further in the future with this idea.
More expensive cards
Show
Hide
Earthcraft + Squirrel Nest. With Squirrel Nest being an Aura, and Earthcraft working nicely with Siona, Captain of the Pyleas ability to produce tokens, this would be a nice combination to have in the deck. However Earthcraft is a $50 card these days.

Sylvan Library is an all-round all-star, and with Siona ability to put cards onto the bottom, you can put cards you don't want back on top as long as you can trigger her ETB again to get rid of them.

You can still play tutors as they can directly get you the cards you want. But that sort of defeats the purpose of the deck, avoiding needing to use these expensive cards, when Siona ability should hold up to digging you to these anyway.
Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 29 times in total.

Tags:

darrenhabib

I decided that there is a better way to get additional triggers with Siona, Captain of the Pyleas that stays more on theme with the enchantress draw.
The idea is to use "totem armor" Auras that return creatures to play to specifically use with Siona. We actually want her to die frequently, so sacrifice outlets are required, and this in turn helps with the Reins of the Vinesteed combo as well.

So these are replacing most of the "exile and return to battlefield" cards. It does mean that there are less triggers overall in the deck, because I'm dividing them up between totem armors AND sacrifice effects, but with all the additional enchantress draw you are digging deep into the deck anyway.
Of note however there is Umbra Mystic and you can target Siona with the Auras that are meant for opponents. As long as you have a sacrifice outlet, you can keep using these to get additional triggers from her as well, so this gives an extra dimension of reach.

This has raised the cost of the deck by about $20, but I think it's just way more on theme now.

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

Selesnya Combo for under $150? Bravo, sir, bravo.

Good to see you're still tinkering. My wife is looking for a Green-based deck that's Greek themed, so I think this might be a good fit for her. Thanks for the idea!

ChaosNomad

Post by ChaosNomad » 4 years ago

I'm curious where's the Kor Spiritdancer? If nothing else it's more budget friendly than stuff like Sram, Senior Edificer or Femeref Enchantress, and would give you a little more wiggle room to try and include stuff like Retether, or Nomad Mythmaker.

Edit: I also just noticed you put Dreadful Apathy under flicker, it's not, the creature stays exiled.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

I'm confused by the Totem armor addition. You seem to be under the impression that putting a Totem armor on Siona and sacrificing her will get you additional ETB triggers, which is wrong on a number of levels. Firstly, Totem armors replace destruction, so they have absolutely no interaction with sacrifice effects. If you sacrifice Siona with a Totem armor on her, both the aura and Siona go to the graveyard/command zone, and nothing further happens. Secondly, even if you proc a Totem Armor with a block or mass destruction spell, the Totem armor replaces the destruction, rather than having the creature leave and reenter the battlefield. The Totem armor is the only card that leaves the battlefield, and it stays in the graveyard.

darrenhabib

ChaosNomad wrote:
4 years ago
I'm curious where's the Kor Spiritdancer? If nothing else it's more budget friendly than stuff like Sram, Senior Edificer or Femeref Enchantress, and would give you a little more wiggle room to try and include stuff like Retether, or Nomad Mythmaker.

Edit: I also just noticed you put Dreadful Apathy under flicker, it's not, the creature stays exiled.
Good call on both counts. Kor Spiritdancer is perfecto and Dreadful Apathy is just removal, not a flicker effect.

darrenhabib

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
I'm confused by the Totem armor addition. You seem to be under the impression that putting a Totem armor on Siona and sacrificing her will get you additional ETB triggers, which is wrong on a number of levels. Firstly, Totem armors replace destruction, so they have absolutely no interaction with sacrifice effects. If you sacrifice Siona with a Totem armor on her, both the aura and Siona go to the graveyard/command zone, and nothing further happens. Secondly, even if you proc a Totem Armor with a block or mass destruction spell, the Totem armor replaces the destruction, rather than having the creature leave and reenter the battlefield. The Totem armor is the only card that leaves the battlefield, and it stays in the graveyard.
Oh yes, I just looked up the totem armor rules and it specifically says..
Totem armor has no effect if the enchanted permanent is put into a graveyard for any other reason, such as if it's sacrificed, if it's legendary and another legendary permanent with the same name is on the battlefield, or if its toughness is 0 or less.
So I can't use it in the way that I want. Plus even if you do destroy them, I've realized it's a replacement effect, so wouldn't even return to play as the aura just gets destroyed instead.

I'm going to have to go back to the original idea of using flicker effects instead.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

gift of immortality and angelic renewal are two cards you might want to check into.

Gift is always strong in these kind of decks. Angelic renewal has been exceptional to me as well, despite not being an aura. Goes great with titan and renegade rallier which are pretty strong effects.

darrenhabib

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
gift of immortality and angelic renewal are two cards you might want to check into.

Gift is always strong in these kind of decks. Angelic renewal has been exceptional to me as well, despite not being an aura. Goes great with titan and renegade rallier which are pretty strong effects.
I like all those suggestions. Sun Titan can be picked up for a couple of dollars, and there are just so many 3 cmc or less permanents, that you can just get value for days.

I figured might as well add Heliod's Pilgrim, as it doesn't matter if shuffling library if you can actually get a combo card.

Path of Discovery is a lot worse after removing the totem armors, as you are not triggering Siona for the 1/1s as much.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Wow yeah since you can titan back shielded by faith it feels pretty much a shoe in to me.

This deck looks super fun. Some of all kinds of nonsense that appeal to me -- recursion, sac outlets, enchantresses, blink.

last suggestion I promise, but cavalier of dawn feels exceptional in this deck with sac outlets available and tons of powerful enchantments to recur, and all the blink outlets.

It's always nice when your sac outlets do intermediate work and I've had really good luck with cavalier in my Aminatou deck even without many sac outlets (just phyrexian tower I wanna say).

darrenhabib

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Wow yeah since you can titan back shielded by faith it feels pretty much a shoe in to me.

This deck looks super fun. Some of all kinds of nonsense that appeal to me -- recursion, sac outlets, enchantresses, blink.

last suggestion I promise, but cavalier of dawn feels exceptional in this deck with sac outlets available and tons of powerful enchantments to recur, and all the blink outlets.

It's always nice when your sac outlets do intermediate work and I've had really good luck with cavalier in my Aminatou deck even without many sac outlets (just phyrexian tower I wanna say).
I do love me a Cavalier of Dawn. I'll try it over Auramancer as I want a number of creatures I can flicker for various effects. It's more expensive mana and cost wise, but oh well.

I just did a EDHREC look up of her and some other cards that caught my interest.

Rancor is great with renewable draw from enchantresses, as you can just keep putting it on the 1/1s and they generate a new one. Pity Earthcraft and Phyrexian Altar are so expensive, but if you have one them this can give you infinite recasts which combined with an enchantress is infinite draw.

Sage's Reverie is a great backup draw card, as you will still get draw from your disruptive Auras that you put on opponents permanents as you still control the Aura itself. Didn't even know this card existed.

As [mention]ChaosNomad[/mention] mentioned Nomad Mythmaker and Retether are great. I'm getting a few different prices for Retether but you should be able to pick one up between $4-$6.

Nomad Mythmaker is a reusable graveyard recurring creature and with the disruptive Auras that you put on opponents creatures I think it's pretty good value.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Nomad Mythmaker is a reusable graveyard recurring creature and with the disruptive Auras that you put on opponents creatures I think it's pretty good value.
Note that Nomad Mythmaker has the clause that you have to put it on a creature you control. So while it has some synergy with auras that can move off your creatures, it doesn't work well with the majority of disruptive auras. Amusingly, you can steal auras out of your opponent's graveyards, but that doesn't tend to be a large value add.

darrenhabib

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Note that Nomad Mythmaker has the clause that you have to put it on a creature you control. So while it has some synergy with auras that can move off your creatures, it doesn't work well with the majority of disruptive auras. Amusingly, you can steal auras out of your opponent's graveyards, but that doesn't tend to be a large value add.
That's true. But actually putting the Auras on your own creatures isn't the worst either as it can trigger ETB enchantress draws, and none of the creatures are attacking/blocking or activated abilities :P
But yeah certainly not as as good as I first thought about bringing them back on opponents creatures :(

darrenhabib

Well I've been giving Siona, Captain of the Pyleas a whirl, but have to admit that I've given myself the luxury of playing an up-scaled version of this list. What does that mean? Well I'm playing all the cards mentioned in "Upgrading the deck" section, and I'm also playing ridiculous standouts like Serra's Sanctum and Gaea's Cradle. Yeah I know, not exactly budget. I also have expensive cards like Exploration, Burgeoning, Carpet of Flowers, Bear Umbra, Nature's Will to help with mana, which is basically the biggest bottleneck in a deck like this.

However the core of the deck remains and I found myself not really needing some of the themes as much as I thought. Firstly I took out most of the "exile and return to battlefield" effects, as the deck churns through cards anyway with all the enchantresses. I just found myself tapping out mana every turn, so holding up mana for these exile effects are a little too reactive and expensive, rather than progressing the board.
You simple want to be advancing your ability to draw and produce mana.

The other thing I found not really that necessary is all the graveyard recursion. Sure opponents often are able to deal with the combos, but I found between Retether and Hall of Heliod's Generosity that I have ways to dig for these to reset back up.
However I have replaced some of these with combos, which I detail below.
I've added Pattern of Rebirth, Boonweaver Giant and Open the Armory as additional tutors, as they can simple get you the combos.
Boonweaver Giant can get Shielded by Faith, but you can also get Pattern of Rebirth and with so many sacrifice outlets in the deck, this allows you to search for any creature as well.
I've added another combo Karmic Guide and Reveillark as they can both get back your important enchantresses.
But with Boonweaver Giant and Pattern of Rebirth you can specifically use a sacrifice outlet to search for Karmic Guide, which can return the Boonweaver Giant, which in turn returns the Pattern of Rebirth onto it. Then you sacrifice again to get Reveillark.
You can infinite loop the Karmic Guide and Reveillark into play, and if you don't already have a win condition going on with this, you can also loop Siona, Captain of the Pyleas to get infinite ETB triggers to find an aura that will.

Altar of the Brood is the perfect addition as you want a way to not have to pass the turn when comboing off with Shielded by Faith or Reins of the Vinesteed.

For the budget version we have some cost reduction creatures for enchantments and auras. I'm not usually a big fan of these, but given that alternative ways to produce mana are so expensive $$$, these can help.

Alright so the build has crept up a bit in budget (like $10) but it's all well worth it.

miehen

Post by miehen » 4 years ago

Hi,
i just wanted to ask what blasting station does. Am I missing an interaction?

Kind regards

darrenhabib

miehen wrote:
4 years ago
Hi,
i just wanted to ask what blasting station does. Am I missing an interaction?

Kind regards
Blasting Station allows you to win on the spot with Shielded by Faith or Reins of the Vinesteed.

With Shielded by Faith creating infinite creatures, you still need to pass the turn and hope to avoid mass creature removal. Blasting Station give you a way to deal infinite damage as the combo is going off.

With Reins of the Vinesteed you actually need a sacrifice outlet in order to do infinite loops, and Blasting Station is perfect for dealing infinite damage.

Same deal with the Karmic Guide + Reveillark + sac outlet infinite loops, you can use it to deal infinite damage.

Epyon1201

Post by Epyon1201 » 3 years ago

I believe this is a "dead" deck, but has anyone tried Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist, or Nessian Wanderer?

Darrenhabib, i noticed the deck was removed from your signature. Do you have any parting thoughts on the deck?

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Epyon1201 wrote:
3 years ago
I believe this is a "dead" deck, but has anyone tried Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist, or Nessian Wanderer?

Darrenhabib, i noticed the deck was removed from your signature. Do you have any parting thoughts on the deck?
I haven't played it since after I initially brewed it. The deck worked fine as I remember, but infinite loops are a pain on MTGO and a no-no in casual queues where I played it, so had to put it to the way side.

Nessian Wanderer was in the deck and Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist sounds like a great addition to get value off either moving enchant lands so that you can get more mana or put detrimental auras to opponents permanents.

It looks like Utopia Sprawl has jumped up in price over the last year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”