Polukranos, Unchained - I Want to Break Free!

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Polukranos, Unchained - I Want to Break Free!

Commander

Counters matter

Additional lands

Graveyard recursion

Protection

Artifact mana

Approximate Total Cost:

Polukranos is back at it again. Eating like there is no tomorrow and this time he has been left off his leash.

Let's fight!
The strategy behind this deck is rather simple actually. He going to be continuously fighting to the death. But he is a Zombie this time round, and he will rise again and again. You know what they say...you can't keep a good Zombie down.

So it's a case of setting up engines to continuously activate his fight ability for 1bg, and also resurrect him with the escape ability for 4bg. This is quite mana intensive, but ultimately oppressive for your opponents trying to establish a board presence.

Voltron
Being a 12/12 also means that you have one hell of a Voltron commander, and as long as you can give him trample, he is going to put opponents' under a very short clock.
By the very nature of being able to bring him back from the graveyard, it's going to be very difficult for your opponents to keep him off besieging them. There is literally no escape for them.
There are a lot of cards in the deck that grant trample. After all a 0/1 can block Polukranos and avoid the commander damage.

How to continuously pay for Polukranos escape of exiling 6 cards from your graveyard?
Well the main component for this is dredge. We have Golgari Grave-Troll, Stinkweed Imp, Life from the Loam.
Obviously we need to set this up, and there are plenty of ways to get these into your graveyard.
Entomb, Buried Alive, Jarad's Orders will all do this.

Survival of the Fittest can setup a lot of things for you. You can filter through for Brawn and Filth to put into your graveyard to give your creatures swampwalk and trample, then you can also put a dredge creature like Golgari Grave-Troll so that you can put additional cards into your graveyard.
Buried Alive is similar in that you'll likely put Golgari Grave-Troll, Brawn, Filth into your graveyard to setup.

Hermit Druid is used in a very fair way, in that you actually have 18 basics in the deck, so you will be putting on average 5 cards into the graveyard. This is perfect for having just enough to use Polukranos ability, and not exposing more cards to graveyard hate.

Even though there is a graveyard engine, you are not looking to fill your graveyard up other than when you need to exile 6 cards for Polukranos escape ability. This means that unlike most graveyard strategies, you don't actually care about targeted graveyard removal that much. Often some expose their graveyards to big removal spells like Bojuka Bog. But because you can dredge/mill at the beginning of your turn, and then you will be exiling cards straight away to recast Polukranos, this means that you are not worried about protecting your graveyard.

Draw 12 cards
With Polukranos having 12 power, leveraging off green suite of "draw cards equal to creatures power", means that you can fill both your hand and graveyard due to discarding to hand size. This will mean that you will be able to have access to setup your powerful control engines.

Control into oblivion
It's also a control deck in that you can remove creatures continuously, but there are also other disruptive cards in the deck for artifacts and enchantments.
There is mass removal in the form of Rampage of the Clans, Bane of Progress, Seeds of Innocence, Oblivion Stone, Pernicious Deed, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.

Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can make troublesome lands into creatures to then remove them with Polukranos fight ability. Kamahl can also grant trample, which can be important to push damage through.

Mana and Lands
Because you want to be using Polukranos ability to fight and recasting from graveyard as many times as your mana situation allows you, there is a heavy focus on gaining mana.

Seedborn Muse and Wilderness Reclamation are perfect for freeing up your mana to use the fight ability multiple times each turn round.

Selvala, Heart of the Wilds will be able to give you 11 additional mana with Polukranos and realistically give you a draw each time you escape.

There is a heavy focus on assembling Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth to be able to generate you lots of mana.
There are a lot of ways to get this, and it's very hard for your opponents to disrupt you on both getting it and removing it.
Hour of Promise, Scapeshift, Nylea's Intervention can all literally get you both the lands. Pir's Whim can get you one of the lands.
Deserted Temple will also double up on your Cabal Coffers activation's, so your land search cards can always be used to search for this as well, if you've already got one of the others.

With the dredge element of the deck, these lands can be put into your graveyard and this is where Life from the Loam really shines. You can use other tutors to get Life from the Loam to return these cards. This also means that if opponents use removal on them, like Strip Mine, you always have a way to get them back.
This is why the Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth combo is so hard to prevent long term in this deck, because you can just get the lands back with Loam if removed. There is also Petrified Field as another way to return one of them.

Volrath's Stronghold can also be used to grind opponents out of threats with Bane of Progress. There are also plenty of other creatures you can put back and Eternal Witness does mean that you can recur other cards from graveyard that might have been drege/mill/remove during the course of the game.

Counters matter
There isn't a lot of cards in the deck to leverage off +1/+1 counters, but we do have Retribution of the Ancients as a way to make the removal slightly cheaper. Also helps against indestructible creatures.

Vigor allows you to use choose the benefits of adding +1/+1 counters over removing them, so he will just keep getting more and more bloated as you fight creatures!

Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 9 times in total.

Tags:

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Surprised vigor isn't in the deck because you chose vigors prevention over the hydras on you lose counters you gain the counters

darrenhabib

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
Surprised vigor isn't in the deck because you chose vigors prevention over the hydras on you lose counters you gain the counters
That'll work :)

Add
Remove

darrenhabib

Well been playing Polukranos, Unchained for a couple of days online and a fair amount of discoveries and changes.

I removed the Doubling Season with a few planeswalkers, as really you don't want to spend mana on an effect which is just overkill. A 12/12 is fine you don't need a 24/24.
Plus I selected a number of the walkers based on their ability to grant trample, and I just had too many of these effects.

I had some cards in Titania's Song and Karn, the Great Creator to "fight" artifacts, but I just found that I always had creatures that I want to fight anyway, and it's just much more efficient to run general sweepers to remove non-creature permanents.
This deck does well at not committing much to the board, and just being able to keep recasting Polukranos.

Some of the "counters matter" stuff, really didn't work out. Ooze Flux and Aetherborn Marauder just never time that you want to use them.
But Retribution of the Ancients has been really excellent with mana efficiency and ability to get around indestructible is great.

The mana base I changed around a lot and I tried out a Field of the Dead sub package because of all the search lands, but honestly it just got in the way of a more smooth mana base.

Winding Canyons has been really excellent, because of Seedborn Muse and Wilderness Reclamation you can escape cast Polukranos, Unchained during opponents turns, to allow you to fight additional creatures.

What has worked really well is setting up massive mana base to allow you to spend mana on recasting him. Also managing the graveyard to recast him has also worked out really well.
Because of the big draw cards, you are often discarding a lot of cards, which seems painful at the time, but ultimately you want additional cards in your graveyard so that you can recast him literally as many times as you want.

Is it as good as my Zacama deck that does similar things with massive draw and removal? No in all honesty, but it is a lot of fun to drive a new commander and show people what is capable if you put in some well thought out game plans.

darrenhabib

I decided the mana doublers were overkill. Sure they are nice when they stick, but they do become a big targets, and honestly the Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is the way to go for your mana needs.

Hunter's Prowess needing the attack is a bit hit and miss.

I wanted another big land search card as Traverse the Outlands has often been the card I've wanted the most during mid game. Boundless Realms is different, but with the Cabal Coffers combo getting a massive amount of lands just means you are setup.
To reflect these basic land requirements I've removed some duel lands in favor of basics.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”