Cleric Tribal

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Have you ever wanted to play a unique tribe that has multiple paths to victory? Are you a fan of clerics, orzhov, evasive creatures, and sacrificing the same creatures over and over again? Do you want to play a casual deck with no infinite combos or MLD that plays the game in a "fair" way? If so this deck may be for you:
Cleric Tribal

Commanders 2

Planeswalkers 2

Approximate Total Cost:

The deck has evasive creatures so you can draw cards off of Tymna, and creatures that are good to sacrifice and reuse with Ravos. There is some cleric synergy and life gain synergy and I tried to include a lot of ramp because it always seems like the deck doesn't have enough mana with the card draw off of Tymna and Ravos allowing you to get cards from your graveyard.

Here's how I would classify the cards:

Evasion:
Cards that have good synergy with Ravos:

Sacrifice Outlets:
Creatures that are good to sacrifice:
Addition sacrifice synergy:

Altar of Demenia
Smuggler's Copter
Rotlung Reanimator
Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Grave Pact

Cleric synergy:
What do you guys think? There are a lot of good Orzhov cards that cost 3 or 5 mana that I cut because I didn't want to include too many cards that have the same CMC as my commanders.
Last edited by NZB2323 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Tags:

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 5 months ago

Been a while, but I updated my decklist.
Cleric Tribal

Commanders 2

Artifacts 2

Approximate Total Cost:

Cuts
adds
Last edited by NZB2323 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 5 months ago

I've been running a cleric tribal list for a bit as well, though I swapped in Tevesh Szat for Ravos: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=35052
With Ravos, I found that spending 5 mana for the buff and then waiting a turn for a Raise Dead was often underwhelming. Tevesh is obviously strong--5 mana to draw 2 or 3 cards is better. Making 2 bodies has also been solid, triggering other creatures, and providing sac fodder or blockers. Plus, it draws so much hate that often the rest of what I'm doing gets less targeted. The threat of the ultimate is so overpowering that players will go out of their way to try and put damage on Tevesh even through bad combat matchups, which is fine by me. The distraction is often almost as good as the other benefits.

I haven't updated it in a while, and haven't gone through a card-by-card comparison with your list yet, but I'll say that I largely eschewed evasion-only beaters. I feel like, as you noted, Tymna's draw often outpaces the mana available to fully utilize, so connecting with 3 players every turn is often not doing much. I also found that I wanted more utility out of the creatures I'm playing. I do think cutting High Priest of Penance may be a mistake--psuedo-evasion + removal is so good, especially if it gets buffed a bit and can take some damage without dying.

I think dropping all your high-CMC non-clerics was a good call. Your list didn't look like a reanimator deck, and even if you can get them back to hand each turn, spending 6-8 mana turn after turn is often more of a drag than a boon.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 5 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
5 months ago
I've been running a cleric tribal list for a bit as well, though I swapped in Tevesh Szat for Ravos: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=35052
With Ravos, I found that spending 5 mana for the buff and then waiting a turn for a Raise Dead was often underwhelming. Tevesh is obviously strong--5 mana to draw 2 or 3 cards is better. Making 2 bodies has also been solid, triggering other creatures, and providing sac fodder or blockers. Plus, it draws so much hate that often the rest of what I'm doing gets less targeted. The threat of the ultimate is so overpowering that players will go out of their way to try and put damage on Tevesh even through bad combat matchups, which is fine by me. The distraction is often almost as good as the other benefits.

I haven't updated it in a while, and haven't gone through a card-by-card comparison with your list yet, but I'll say that I largely eschewed evasion-only beaters. I feel like, as you noted, Tymna's draw often outpaces the mana available to fully utilize, so connecting with 3 players every turn is often not doing much. I also found that I wanted more utility out of the creatures I'm playing. I do think cutting High Priest of Penance may be a mistake--psuedo-evasion + removal is so good, especially if it gets buffed a bit and can take some damage without dying.

I think dropping all your high-CMC non-clerics was a good call. Your list didn't look like a reanimator deck, and even if you can get them back to hand each turn, spending 6-8 mana turn after turn is often more of a drag than a boon.
Nice!

I do try and run a small curve and ramp so that way if I'm drawing 4 cards a turn with both my commanders, I can cast creatures. If not, I can discard down to 7 and always get creatures back from my graveyard. Edgewalker is the number one card that I tutor for, but these guys also give me ramp:
For Ravos, the best thing to do with him is to get Skemfar Shadowsage back, play him, sacrifice him, and then get him back. He can also get multiple triggers off these guys:

Knight of the white Orchid
Remorseful Cleric
Selfless Spirit
Dawnbringer Cleric

And we just got another sacrifice outlet and ramp piece in Master of Dark Rites. It's good to sacrifice those guys or Arena Rector/Academy Rector.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 5 months ago

BMC, is a great card. Legion's Landing should probably be in my deck. Smothering Tithe is the #1 way to fully capitalize on all the draw.

That said, I still think Ravos is pretty mediocre as a 5 mana 2/2. From the command zone, it's also kind of obvious a target when you start putting out high value creatures for looping.

As for Master of Dark Rites, I'd have to see it in action, but on the face, it doesn't look super impressive as a tap-sac outlet that produces the less represented color among our creatures. It can help pay generic costs, I suppose. You also appear to have little token production, and few pieces of recursion, unless I'm missing something, which means sacrificing your own dudes, then not getting them back quickly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”