Sisay the ELK Captain and her Weatherlight crew!

Theoric
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Theoric » 4 years ago

This is a theme deck designed to get Sisay and her crew (and many others) on the battlefield within the first few turns. Usually by turn 4 if not disrupted. Jegantha, the Wellspring is her companion because, as everyone knows, elks are amazing. :P

As soon as Jegantha and Sisay are on the battlefield and Jegantha can tap for mana, they can cheat out basically every legendary permanent in the deck that turn. Once it goes off, the crew (which will be strengthened by heroes' podium) will smash face while the ship's wizard, Ertai, Wizard Adept, stands ready to counter a spell or two. If an opponent manages to successfully cast a boardwipe, that's great for you since Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero will bring all your creatures back again.

If you'd like to playtest it, here it is on tappedout: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sisay-r ... 1586758529
The Weatherlight Crew
Show
Hide
Urza created the Weatherlight in the Tolarian Academy and Sisay inherited it from her family after they were killed. The ship and crew were instrumental in the defense of Dominaria during the Phyrexian invasion. It could hold 40 but here are six of the most notable crewmembers.

how the deck works
Show
Hide
You start the game by casting mana dorks/rocks, a haste enabler, Sisay, and then Jegantha.

A typical Jegantha chain looks something like this:

tap Jegantha - bring out Derevi, Empyrial Tactician(untap Jegantha) (Sisay is 6/6 now)
tap Jegantha - bring out Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner (untap Jegantha)
tap Jegantha - bring out Oath of Teferi (planeswalkers can be used twice now). Use Kiora a 2nd time to untap Jegantha.
tap Jegantha - bring out Gideon, martial paragon (untap all creatures)
tap Jegantha - bring out Kinnan, bonder prodigy. Use Gideon to untap creatures a 2nd time.
tap Jegantha - bring out Samut, voice of dissent. Use Kinnan to float 1 white mana, and use it on Samut to untap Jegantha.
tap Jegantha - bring out Aminatou, the fateshifter. Exile and return Gideon. Each time you use Gideon to untap all creatures, you get at least 2 activations of Jegantha, thanks to Samut and Kinnan. Use Gideon to untap creatures.
tap Jegantha twice - bring out 2 more things. Use Gideon a 2nd time to untap creatures.
tap Jegantha twice - bring out 2 more things.
Use Aminatou a 2nd time to exile/return Gideon and 4 more Jegantha activations.

By now you should have all the crew members (Ertai, Mirri, Gerrard, Hanna, Gideon) and some other stuff like Heroes' Podium, Teferi, Shalai, Oko (2 ELKS PER TURN BABY!!! LET'S GOOOOO!), etc. The crew has haste and +8 +8 or greater from Heroes' podium, and some more from all those Gideon activations (especially Sisay, who can actually one-shot someone on the combo turn).

When you attack, you get some Derevi triggers that could be used to untap Jegantha a few times to cheat out more legendaries, or you can untap lands for Ertai to counter stuff (don't forget, Samut can untap him too).

*Note: bloom tender and faeburrow elder work in much the same way as Jegantha, and with them I like to cheat out Saheeli Rai to create a token copy to make more mana.
Saheeli can be used as a haste enabler for Jegantha as well.

Decklist

The Captain (1)

Her elk companion (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

The old combo version: (not updated)
Show
Hide
This version is intended to tutor out Sisay's Weatherlight crew (and any other legendaries you want) within the first few turns. You could swap the expensive lands, ramp, and tutors for cheaper variants to make a budget version that goes off 1-2 turns later. Obviously I could swap out the crew with something that would close out the game sooner, but this is a theme deck. If the thought of attacking with Sisay and her crew appeals to you then read on.

The way it works (short version): You dump your library into your graveyard, cast Dread Return on Necrotic Ooze, and use it to make infinite mana since Morselhoarder and Devoted Druid are in the graveyard. After that you cast Echo of Eons (from the graveyard, probably) to restock your hand and library, and then use that mana to cast Sisay and tutor out her crew. All it takes to accomplish this is 2 mana.

Decklist

The Captain (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

How it works (longer version):
Method #1 and #2: You start by dumping your library into your graveyard with Cephalid Illusionist + Nomads en-Kor, or with Hermit Druid
- When your library gets dumped into the graveyard, Narcomoeba goes on the battlefield.
- unearth Fatestitcher (unless you already have 3 creatures in play) and use it to untap a land.
- cast Dread Return (by sacking Hermit Druid, Narcomoeba, and Fatestitcher) and put Necrotic Ooze into play.
- Necrotic Ooze makes infinite mana of each color since it has the abilities of Devoted Druid (to put -1 counters on it) and Morselhoarder (to remove them for mana).
- Cast Echo of Eons from the graveyard.
- Cast Sisay, Weatherlight Captain
- Use Sisay to tutor out Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers (use this to give Sisay +1/+1 if you need to in order to tutor out a 2 mana legendary).
- Tutor out her crew one at a time, starting with the smaller CMC creatures and working your way up. Also tutor out Samut, Voice of Dissent to give them haste.
- Since Necrotic Ooze will no longer make infinite mana, tutor out Selvala, Heart of the Wilds and Radha, Heir to Keld. This will enable you to use Ertai, Wizard Adept (twice, since Samut can untap it) and/or tutor out In Bolas's Clutches (it's pretty cool to be able to steal a permanent at instant speed) or Shalai, Voice of Plenty (to fizzle a spell or ability that targets your creature).
- And now you can attack with Sisay and her crew. Don't forget to loan out Tahngarth, First Mate to your opponents on their combat steps to dish out a little extra damage.

Method #3: - Use Flash to cheat Protean Hulk on the battlefield so it dies, then use its death trigger to fetch Cephalid Illusionist + Nomads en-Kor (and perhaps Grand Abolisher and a mana dork or something) and do the steps in Method #1 or #2.

Method #4: Use Survival of the Fittest to put Morselhoarder and Devoted Druid in the graveyard, then cast Necrotic Ooze. Make infinite mana of each color with the ooze to cast Sisay and tutor out her crew.

*Note: I don't like Arvad much and I'm considering replacing him with something that'll help with combat more, such as Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite (except that doesn't work well theme-wise and I'd need a way to make Sisay big enough to tutor it out) or Embercleave, but I don't really want to lose my only black legendary card (although maybe I could squeeze in Ashiok, Dream Render as well).
Last edited by Theoric 4 years ago, edited 32 times in total.

Tags:

Theoric

I've been experimenting with 2 different builds and figured I'd post them.

Theoric

Just updated this so I thought I'd post it since it's like the coolest deck I ever made.

Theoric

This deck will be a lot easier to build thanks to those new, fetchable tricolor lands.
Did some more updates - added pics and background behind the deck. Can't believe I didn't know that Urza (who I wrote the primer for) built the Weatherlight.
I can't wait to put the Ikoria cards in but I've been playtesting them on tappedout and I'm loving them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”