Lin Sivvi, The Rebel Scum

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

So, for those have been around for a while I used to have a primer for Lin Sivvi back on Salvation. I put the list away a few years back with some concerns that I often sort of knew how the game was going to play out as soon as we saw the commanders revealed. That is still a bit of a concern of mine but I have done a bunch of other mono white projects and essentially my list of what I would build today for rebels looked a lot different from what it had been years ago.

I started playing some online games with XMage with some friends who are distant and essentially I just had some incentive to brush off some old lists and have them in my bag as needed for a change of pace. I REALLY needed to update my list for this one so I wanted to just drop where my list was as of right now trying to bring it up to date. Essentially everything in the primer would have been super out of date so I am just porting the updated list for now.

Things about the updated list:
  • Added Monarch - Monarch was something really paying out well for my Bruna deck and when I think about playstyles both decks can be a bit similar in some ways being they are kind of defensive decks looking to make it to late game.
  • Draw Hate - I have been seeing a LOT of spammy draw cycle decks of late. This is a bit more in paper than digitally but I decided to bring up the hate for cheap cantrips and such in here so my new version has gone from one Rule of Law effect to three. There are a few more options I could go into like Ethersworn Canonist but I liked where I was at for now.
  • Ramp - I changed my ramp game up quite a bit. When I left off with Lin Sivvi last it was after Sword of the Animist had been introduced. This card has been FANTASTIC for this deck but beyond that we got some new transform cards as well. I changed up the ramp game for this deck a bit and decided that I didn't find that this deck really got to use the mana doublers much as often they would die on sight. The gradual ramp of the equipment has been more consistent and less disposable to sweepers which has been good for me.
  • More Instants - My previous meta didn't require as much instant speed interaction. I moved a bit of stuff out to add some of the better new instant speed interaction effects as well as changing up my sweeper setup a little.
  • Updated Landbase - Lots of sweet new lands have come out. I changed up the utility lands quite a bit given some of the new options. It sucks because I had almost all of my lands altered before this so I am going backwards on that but right now I am playing digitally primarily so its not like I get to use those anyways.
Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

CREATURES (20)

PLANESWALKER (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

The Sweet Sweet Alters by Galspanic
Alters
Show
Hide
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Hey @ISBPathfinder I was looking at building your list for a challenge game in my playgroup and I'm curious what cards you'd want to add to your list now that Maskwood Nexus is a card. Given that we can now tutor any creature in our deck up is there any creatures you'd want to add to you list?
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Hey @ISBPathfinder I was looking at building your list for a challenge game in my playgroup and I'm curious what cards you'd want to add to your list now that Maskwood Nexus is a card. Given that we can now tutor any creature in our deck up is there any creatures you'd want to add to you list?
I think Maskwood Nexus is a fine pickup. The question I guess is what else we could use that is a good wincon that is a creature in mono white. Offhand you could always get an eldrazi titan or maybe a surprise EOT Blightsteel Colossus using things like Whipcorder and Bound in Silence to push him through.

My issue is that most things I can come up with are still a lot less consistent than just going wide with Mirror Entity. I think the Nexus is a fine card but even just getting to tutor for monarch effects and Sun Titan might be good enough. I am not really sure that its really worth inclding to be honest just because it seems like the payoff time for that card might be a few turns.

Speaking of Monarch, I think that the newest wave of monarch cards including Archon of Coronation and Court of Grace would be my first two updates. I have been playing Bruna, the Fading Light for a few years and it has a very similar defensive nature to it. I think monarch is such a powerful tool for these defensive mono white decks. It seems strange because I literally haven't seen anywhere else that I like monarch but given that Zealot il-Vec can steal it back super easily and we have so many defensive rebels to defend monarch.

I see I have Eidolon of Rhetoric but not Archon of Emeria (as its newer than this list) so I would probably swap those two if not find room to run both.

As far as making room for some of these changes, I would probably do something along the lines of:

CUT CONSIDERATIONS:
  • Mind's Eye - in its place add one of the new monarch cards.
  • Thaumatic Compass - I am not sure why I put this in given how good rebels is vs single threats. I guess I was just including it as a weird ramp. It seems like it could go.
  • Angel's Grace - Hummm odd that I put this in but didn't run Teferi's Protection. I was seeing a lot of combo at the time though which is probably why I put it in. Angel's Grace does have some funny interactions with Children of Korlis as its possible you could use them more than once in a turn and gain a bunch of life after not dying.
  • Deafening Silence - It might be worth cutting this to include Archon of Emeria. I feel like sometimes this enchant will do everything I need it to but allowing infinite creatures seems like it might also not do the trick in some places. Its tough to say. Enchantments tend to be less prone to removal than creatures. I could see whatever variation of this you want but Archon of Emeria seems great in that it seems like a good equipment carrier.
I did think about rebels again when Maskwood Nexus got spoiled but my issue is just that I feel like its incredibly expensive and does so little for me. Its also kind of hard to get setup, we can't recur it with much, and it doesn't do much for a while. I feel like its a bit of a trap to be honest because its a 4 mana do nothing card. Sure, you can tutor for better cards with rebels if it lives but its like, untap the next turn before it really feels at all reasonable. It really made me mad when we saw Realmwalker early and then they gave essentially nothing to white / red (you know the colors that could use some help).
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

This list always reminds me how sad I am that I never commissioned a Galspanic alter before they faded into the abyss of time. Please do post the lovely photos sometime, this deck is beautiful.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
This list always reminds me how sad I am that I never commissioned a Galspanic alter before they faded into the abyss of time. Please do post the lovely photos sometime, this deck is beautiful.
I added some of the reble creatures to the OP but holy cow its not a fun process trying to bring like 50-60 card alters onto the site. I did some toying but it was only letting me upload three cards at a time and I had to link them to other posts which I did in my testing area.

I might try to bring in more later as it would be nice to have them uploaded somewhere more reliable in case sally finally sinks.

LightningHelix

Post by LightningHelix » 2 years ago

I was looking for this old primer on old mtgsalvation, glad to see its back here and updated on Nexus.

Reason I was looking for it was some inspiration for a possible Zirda, the Dawnwaker Rebel deck. Either with Zirda at the helm or as a companion with some other boros commander at the helm. I figured most the rebel searchers can grab Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero anyway, so why not?

Did you ever consider using Zirda as the commander?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

LightningHelix wrote:
2 years ago
I was looking for this old primer on old mtgsalvation, glad to see its back here and updated on Nexus.

Reason I was looking for it was some inspiration for a possible Zirda, the Dawnwaker Rebel deck. Either with Zirda at the helm or as a companion with some other boros commander at the helm. I figured most the rebel searchers can grab Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero anyway, so why not?

Did you ever consider using Zirda as the commander?
I go back and forth on the idea of rebuilding rebels but I held off a few times in part because the play nature of the deck is actually rather similar in some regards to my Bruna deck. There are plenty of differences of course but I am more talking being a mono white defensive deck potentially with some hatebear elements to it. I am sure I will probably rebuild it at some point because I do love rebels and there have been a ton of new tools that came out since I played it last not to mention some lesions I learned from other decks (monarch is amazing in defensive white shells).

Zirda, the Dawnwaker - There are pros and cons to Zirda as the commander for rebels. I think its a concept that likely has to run a much larger rebel package with mostly the tutor ones in mind given the loss of the ability in the command zone. It is possible that to make up for that you run less of the utility rebels or that your rebel package is just signficantly larger. Its worth mentioning though that drawing rebels beyond what you actually need to play tends to be sort of bad so increasing your package of rebels means you will likely draw more of them.

Beyond that I think there is also more of a concern of sweepers with Zirda and I say that from the standpoint that it feels like it has more setup time to it. There is also the question of if you have further rebels in hand that can tutor for rebuilding afterwards. Lin Sivvi is by far the most efficient rebel tutoring card and while you can tutor for her you will have a harder time when she gets spot removed or walks into a wrath.

That all said, I think that Zirda has some good potential with mass haste effects and rebels. The ability to funnel mana and just power out tons of rebels in one turn is impressive. That said, I am talking about a Zirda + 1 or more tutoring rebels + haste outlet setup and this isn't an infinite combo or something that is going to win you the game outright. Its also going to take a ton of mana which technically Zirda can infinite mana in a few ways so I guess thats a thing....

Zirda does also have options to funnel mana into some non rebel things like Heliod, God of the Sun and Oketra the True for making more bodies. I think that all in all Zirda is extremely mana hungry any way I slice it though and adding a second color that isn't green or blue while cool, I don't know that I am really sold on it being better without playing it myself. I don't have the experience to say but it feels a little clunkier in some ways even though I see potential for it to be more explosive proactively I think increasing your rebel package to accommodate Zirda as the commander comes at the cost of some of the reactive nature of rebels that I tend to love. It isn't to say you can't still have answers but if you have a bigger rebel package and incentive for a bunch of token producers I feel like you then need to lean into ramp as well and with all of those elements I can't help but feel that the reactive element of the deck is likely what takes a loss from it all.

My overall feeling of Zirda is that it feels a little more cumbersome to set up but it likely is more explosive as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a more linear proactive gameplan than Lin Sivvi but without actually playing it its just me guessing. I also feel like Zirda might not recover quite as gracefully as Lin Sivvi from sweepers just given how many elements I feel like I would require to start doing things. Keep in mind this is just me theory crafting the idea without having seen or played with it.

Its also worth mentioning that Sword of Hearth and Home is new since I last played rebels. I had some REALLY good results with Sword of the Animist shortly before I benched my rebel deck and I would be very surprised if this new sword doesn't play really well into the equipment / ramp strategy that I was enjoying last. I am not sure that rebels plays with that many ETB effects so it would primarily be a benefit to the ramp side but I could also see there being a few ETB targets here and there. Teleportation Circle is also new so if someone wanted to push into some ETB creatures I could see it working with a few things in this deck.

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 2 years ago

I've had a rebels deck many years ago and have been contemplating putting it back together for years. Looking at your list though, I wonder how you actually win other then Mirror Entity? I know you are mr. mono white so I'm sure the deck is good but i don't see how?

Also, I'm going back and forth on either going mono white with guaranteed access to Lin Sivvi, or doing Esper Zur with Arcane Adaptation. Do you have any experience with that version? And what are your thoughts on one vs the other?

Sorry for the lack of card tags but those are tedious on iPhone

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ertai Planeswalker wrote:
2 years ago
I've had a rebels deck many years ago and have been contemplating putting it back together for years. Looking at your list though, I wonder how you actually win other then Mirror Entity? I know you are mr. mono white so I'm sure the deck is good but i don't see how?

Also, I'm going back and forth on either going mono white with guaranteed access to Lin Sivvi, or doing Esper Zur with Arcane Adaptation. Do you have any experience with that version? And what are your thoughts on one vs the other?

Mirror Entity is my primary wincondition mostly because of how less efficient and accessible most others are. I could do something like Coat of Arms as a secondary but it would put more emphasis on pulling a ton of bodies or making a ton of tokens in one shot. Lots of my boardstates often ended up being somewhat of a mix of things which often made me second guess coat of arms. Its ironic as Coat of Arms probably works well with Mirror Entity but that doesn't make the deck less reliant on Mirror Entity. I thought about some other options like True Conviction and Dictate of Heliod but most of them feel like they don't pack quite enough punch for my like. There is also the issue of inconsistency with a lot of the other anthems. You might not draw them when you want them and you might be stuck with no anthem when you need one. I resorted to Mirror Entity a little because of its accessibility as well as how well it worked with the big mana concept that a lot of my token generation also worked on.

I think there are a few equipment that could also be used alright as another option. Its not really as much of a go wide strategy with most of the ones I was thinking but the equipment tutors increase their consistancy. Blackblade Reforged (the equip cost for non legends totally sucks), Strata Scythe (just because the equip cost for blackblade sucks), Quietus Spike (would work well on Zealot il-Vec). Some of my concern for these equipment though is they are a bit expensive to throw around and there are only a few rebels that really seem to make them shine. Beyond this they still aren't all that explosive in my mind.

All in all, I am someone who tends to build with very few dedicated wincons to a deck. I prefer to push a deck to perform well on more of a turn to turn basis and be strong at surviving and having a good game rather than focusing on wincons. Its just how I build but its what I enjoy.

Zur - I think Zur comes with his own challenges as well. I have played against a number of competitive Zur decks in my day and I will tell you I don't care what flavor of Zur you built. I will throw literally anything and everything I can into Zur never activating if I can help it. Zur has several of the same challenges that Zirda would have in that you need to increase the number of rebels in the deck. I think he is also very weak on Arcane Adaptation being interacted with. If you loose adaptation to something that exiles it or even just removes it I think its going to end up being a really bad Zur deck and a bad Rebels deck. I think that Zur is fine if that is what you want to play but I think that doing Zur as rebels is making a bad rebel and a bad Zur deck (my personal take without having played with or against it). I don't know the consistency of the deck as a whole but I just get the idea that its going to be sort of weak to opponents interacting with you as the point of everything seems like it would fall apart with a little interaction.

The big question in my mind would be what Zur does for you outside of Arcane Adaptation. My own personal take is that I wouldn't be all in on Zur for only one card so if you can find some other ties that makes Zur appealing for a rebels concept outside of a single card that when removed invalidates your commander choice then I guess it would sound more appealing to me. Again, I have not tried this but I constantly get the feeling that you might draw attention as a Zur player while playing a super bad convoluted concept that is easily dismantled when focused by the entire table. Its possible that if you play in one meta and people get to know what you are doing they might not all focus you but they will also realize your focus point and keeping Arcane Adaptation alive when you build that heavily around it sounds hard.

At one point I entertained the idea of doing Gaddock Teeg as a rebels concept. The upside there is that he stops a lot of sweepers and potentially slows down / stops a lot of game ending spells. In the end though, even with all of these concepts I just don't actually get a strong opinion that going away from mono white is an improvement. Lots of these ideas add a lot more complication in setting up and feel like they might have issues with control concepts. Many of them require larger rebel packages and possibly the loss of some control and interaction as well to make room for other packages they require. My concern is that I don't feel that rebels is ever going to be that fast of a concept so my own take is that it might be better to be a little more interactive and slow than to try to race with a concept that is ultimately kind of slow.

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ertai Planeswalker wrote:
2 years ago

Mirror Entity is my primary wincondition mostly because of how less efficient and accessible most others are. I could do something like Coat of Arms as a secondary but it would put more emphasis on pulling a ton of bodies or making a ton of tokens in one shot. Lots of my boardstates often ended up being somewhat of a mix of things which often made me second guess coat of arms. Its ironic as Coat of Arms probably works well with Mirror Entity but that doesn't make the deck less reliant on Mirror Entity. I thought about some other options like True Conviction and Dictate of Heliod but most of them feel like they don't pack quite enough punch for my like. There is also the issue of inconsistency with a lot of the other anthems. You might not draw them when you want them and you might be stuck with no anthem when you need one. I resorted to Mirror Entity a little because of its accessibility as well as how well it worked with the big mana concept that a lot of my token generation also worked on.

I think there are a few equipment that could also be used alright as another option. Its not really as much of a go wide strategy with most of the ones I was thinking but the equipment tutors increase their consistancy. Blackblade Reforged (the equip cost for non legends totally sucks), Strata Scythe (just because the equip cost for blackblade sucks), Quietus Spike (would work well on Zealot il-Vec). Some of my concern for these equipment though is they are a bit expensive to throw around and there are only a few rebels that really seem to make them shine. Beyond this they still aren't all that explosive in my mind.

All in all, I am someone who tends to build with very few dedicated wincons to a deck. I prefer to push a deck to perform well on more of a turn to turn basis and be strong at surviving and having a good game rather than focusing on wincons. Its just how I build but its what I enjoy.

Zur - I think Zur comes with his own challenges as well. I have played against a number of competitive Zur decks in my day and I will tell you I don't care what flavor of Zur you built. I will throw literally anything and everything I can into Zur never activating if I can help it. Zur has several of the same challenges that Zirda would have in that you need to increase the number of rebels in the deck. I think he is also very weak on Arcane Adaptation being interacted with. If you loose adaptation to something that exiles it or even just removes it I think its going to end up being a really bad Zur deck and a bad Rebels deck. I think that Zur is fine if that is what you want to play but I think that doing Zur as rebels is making a bad rebel and a bad Zur deck (my personal take without having played with or against it). I don't know the consistency of the deck as a whole but I just get the idea that its going to be sort of weak to opponents interacting with you as the point of everything seems like it would fall apart with a little interaction.

The big question in my mind would be what Zur does for you outside of Arcane Adaptation. My own personal take is that I wouldn't be all in on Zur for only one card so if you can find some other ties that makes Zur appealing for a rebels concept outside of a single card that when removed invalidates your commander choice then I guess it would sound more appealing to me. Again, I have not tried this but I constantly get the feeling that you might draw attention as a Zur player while playing a super bad convoluted concept that is easily dismantled when focused by the entire table. Its possible that if you play in one meta and people get to know what you are doing they might not all focus you but they will also realize your focus point and keeping Arcane Adaptation alive when you build that heavily around it sounds hard.

At one point I entertained the idea of doing Gaddock Teeg as a rebels concept. The upside there is that he stops a lot of sweepers and potentially slows down / stops a lot of game ending spells. In the end though, even with all of these concepts I just don't actually get a strong opinion that going away from mono white is an improvement. Lots of these ideas add a lot more complication in setting up and feel like they might have issues with control concepts. Many of them require larger rebel packages and possibly the loss of some control and interaction as well to make room for other packages they require. My concern is that I don't feel that rebels is ever going to be that fast of a concept so my own take is that it might be better to be a little more interactive and slow than to try to race with a concept that is ultimately kind of slow.
Thanks for the extensive reply. Thing is, I like the more hipster concepts but my meta is - compared to others i know - relatively high powered so Arcane Adaptation is definitly going to be interacted with so I guess you're right. There's also the thing of actually having your theme in the command zone as an upside. But i like what you said about building the deck to be good turn by turn. I don't build decks along that line but I will definitly try to keep that in mind going forward.

One suggestion i used to play: Distorting Lens. It allows the bringers to exile anything. Also, why no Thousand-Year Elixir? You can keep chaining rebels.

bashrag
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by bashrag » 2 years ago

I've been playing Lin-Sivvi for a while now and I've found a few cards helpful. Some of them are obvious but some of them are less so. Welcoming Vampire is the obvious one. It's a straight upgrade to Mentor of the Meek. The next one is The Celestus. I'm often holding up mana on my turn to summon rebels on someone else's. So the flip from Day/Night is more common than you would expect. For the same reason, I'm testing the Gavony Dawnguard.

Those changes have helped me deal with White's inability to draw cards and have at least brought me to parity. The issue I've consistently had since I built the deck has been winning the game. Mirror Entity just doesn't do the job.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

bashrag wrote:
2 years ago
I've been playing Lin-Sivvi for a while now and I've found a few cards helpful. Some of them are obvious but some of them are less so. Welcoming Vampire is the obvious one. It's a straight upgrade to Mentor of the Meek. The next one is The Celestus. I'm often holding up mana on my turn to summon rebels on someone else's. So the flip from Day/Night is more common than you would expect. For the same reason, I'm testing the Gavony Dawnguard.

Those changes have helped me deal with White's inability to draw cards and have at least brought me to parity. The issue I've consistently had since I built the deck has been winning the game. Mirror Entity just doesn't do the job.
Welcoming Vampire - Its not entirely all upside as it only triggers on the first creature entering each turn but it is likely an upgrade given the loss of needing to pay extra mana to draw. Mentor of the Meek is something that I have been playing for a long time in here but it might be outclassed these days given all the new monarch draw effects we could play as well. Welcoming Vamp seems like a good card to give a shot.

The Celestus - Given that this deck is draw go it should naturally change when and if you don't cast something on your turn so... yea I suppose I can see this being interesting also being a mana stone. The big downside I see is that while I would consider this deck to be a draw go deck its not as if I never have plays to make on my own turn. I would have to test it but it seems interesting in this archetype.

Wincons - I have always had trouble closing out games with this deck. Mirror Entity takes a lot of setup and even with it this deck can be very weak to opposing token decks as a mirror entity attack can be chump blocked. I don't really have a lot of good suggestions offhand. The card draw capabilities of this deck seem a lot better than when I was originally playing my own list so its possible its time to add more wincons but I have never found rebels to be a fast wincon concept nor have I found their wincons to be impressive.

YoungWolf

Post by YoungWolf » 1 year ago

Just got back into the game after a 5ish year hiatus. Glad I found an updated version of this deck. I'm going to build it again. I remember having so much fun with this before. Monarch does look like it will be really strong here. Hoping one day soon we will get some more win con support.

A few cards not mentioned here yet that I have my eye on:
Defiler of Faith - are we ever really casting enough white permanents to get the value from this?
Strixhaven Stadium - mana rock and maybe another win con?
Heartstone - Seems like so much value with our general and other tutoring rebels. Cuts the cost of a Children of Korlis loop cost half as much. (Free to tutor and only 2 to put back in the library)
Esper Sentinel - draws us a bunch of cards, right?
Smothering Tithe - another white edh staple that works well for us, right?
and finally, is Storm Herd an upgrade to any of the current token generators?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

YoungWolf wrote:
1 year ago
Just got back into the game after a 5ish year hiatus. Glad I found an updated version of this deck. I'm going to build it again. I remember having so much fun with this before. Monarch does look like it will be really strong here. Hoping one day soon we will get some more win con support.

A few cards not mentioned here yet that I have my eye on:
Defiler of Faith - are we ever really casting enough white permanents to get the value from this?
Strixhaven Stadium - mana rock and maybe another win con?
Heartstone - Seems like so much value with our general and other tutoring rebels. Cuts the cost of a Children of Korlis loop cost half as much. (Free to tutor and only 2 to put back in the library)
Esper Sentinel - draws us a bunch of cards, right?
Smothering Tithe - another white edh staple that works well for us, right?
and finally, is Storm Herd an upgrade to any of the current token generators?
I moved and have some new metas so I was thinking about dusting this one off again because well... I really need to show off my altars lol. I haven't gotten around to exploring everything to dust it off but I think its probably worth adding Grand Crescendo given both defensive and offensive uses of the card. I had also been having a lot of luck with Dowsing Dagger and Sword of the Animist when I was playing last so I would probably also want to at least test Sword of Hearth and Home given its a similar ramp effect although I think the flicker has probably too few targets but I guess at the minimum it can play with Aven Riftwatcher or steal some monarch back.

Defiler of Faith - I don't think it does enough based on us not casting much. Ramp is good but we mostly want surplus mana for activated abilities.
Strixhaven Stadium - I think it does put a target on your back in case you are just casting it as a mana rock and seeing if it gets there. I am a little less certain of doing things like that but I do think this deck can defend itself fairly well.
Heartstone - Its not.... not a thing but I think its important to ask yourself how often its going to out produce a Worn Powerstone in a turn. Its going to be a lot stronger when you have a creature like Ant Queen where it has a low activation cost. It still can add up for something like Heliod, God of the Sun but the overall cost reduction there is worse due to higher costing tokens. It still works for the rebels but because the rebel ability activations are more expensive I went more towards a raw mana ramping rather than looking into cost reduction.
Esper Sentinel - I haven't had very good results with Esper Sentinel if I am being honest. This card is absolutely not half way as cracked as Rhystic Study. In a lot of cases for me it still works if you are low curve, on some tribal concept, or are pumping your creatures. I am not really checking any of the boxes that make me want to include this card other than just being in mono white. If you love this card you can by all means but I don't find it to be a white staple at all.
Smothering Tithe - Yea it probably does fit here. I honestly don't care much for the card but we could use the mana generation.
Storm Herd - My issue with this card is mostly the high cost and sorcery speed cast. It is powerful it just does a wrath check from everyone before it does anything being sorcery speed token production when not red. It reminds me a lot of Avenger of Zendikar but costing more and not being in a ramp color. I just don't have much for expectations of those sort of cards to actually close out games anymore.

If I manage to dust the deck off I will try to do a more thorough look into the newer cards. Its been like 5+ years for me since I played rebels last and its a sweet deck even if I think its probably a little more casual especially in light of some of the combo and explosive wincons like craterhoof standpoint. The strength of rebels tends to be when trading combat blows and when someone decides not to fight on that front it loses a lot of its power.

EDIT: Welcoming Vampire and Smuggler's Share both seem appealing. I think Deep Gnome Terramancer also makes sense as well.

bashrag
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by bashrag » 1 year ago

A few things worked well in my version. It's designed to deal with combo while retaining anti-voltron and grinder elements.

The vast majority of Rebels were categorized as Humans a few years ago. Pyre of Heroes does a ton of work in this list and it opened up a secondary wincon for me. Drannith Magistrate and Knowledge Pool shuts down everyone else at the table which generally results in a concession. To get the Pool lock going I leaned into Oswald Fiddlebender and Inventors' Fair pretty hard.

Here's my list for reference.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/VebhsO6o_EG9Mt_dE7zhMw

Several choices were made for budget reasons. Grand Abolisher is clearly better than Tithe Taker but monies.

YoungWolf

Post by YoungWolf » 1 year ago

bashrag wrote:
1 year ago
A few things worked well in my version. It's designed to deal with combo while retaining anti-voltron and grinder elements.

The vast majority of Rebels were categorized as Humans a few years ago. Pyre of Heroes does a ton of work in this list and it opened up a secondary wincon for me. Drannith Magistrate and Knowledge Pool shuts down everyone else at the table which generally results in a concession. To get the Pool lock going I leaned into Oswald Fiddlebender and Inventors' Fair pretty hard.

Here's my list for reference.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/VebhsO6o_EG9Mt_dE7zhMw
Pyre looks good. Seems like a great compliment to Maskwood Nexus if you're gonna go all in on toolbox-ing

one drop human rebels into Grand Abolisher & Drannith Magistrate
Whipcorder into Mentor of the Meek
3 drop human rebels into Palace Jailer
Mirror Entity gets you Palace Jailer or Heliod, God of the Sun
Changeling Hero gets you Protector of the Crown or Sun Titan

My new playgroup is very against lock win cons though.

EDIT: just came across Sceptre of Eternal Glory from the warhammer edh decks. Do we run this in place of or in addition to Thran Dynamo ??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”