Korvold, Fae-Cursed King: Value Sacs [White Border Edition]

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

This is almost becoming commonplace for me, this thought exercise of white border commander building, ha. Knowing what I go about the white border card pool, it's not that it's bad, merely it's just straight forward. Many of the cards we use today in commander are actually in the white border pool, and as far as older cards go, that's where a chunk of your old power is - you know, all the tutours, fast mana - the typical culprits that lead to explosivity in commander games. Now, of course Korvold doesn't have a white border print, so you'll either be making an exception or commissioning an alter.

In general, this project has been conceptualized based on how easy we can "proc" Korvold and how disgusting his trigger is to get, while serving as the absolute entry point into the commander (which does have a very high optimization ceiling should one be so inclined). But if one didn't want to spend thousands like that, the floor of the deck is still quite reasonably high as well. I'm impressed, to be honest. I didn't expect things to turn out this smooth but here we are.

Disclaimer: The bulk of this deck's price point is in the tutours three ABU duals, Sylvan Library, & select P3K cards but if you cut those you could pick the rest up for pennies on the dollar. Then you could even proxy some of the high $ cards since this is an unsanctioned format with nothing on the line, which is a pretty fair line of thought given the role of this list. Aside from that, my only stipulations are that every card should have an English print and be reasonably attainable (which is why I chose to exclude Mana Crypt, it's only English prints are in blackborder; it has an obscure Spanish print that is white border if you want to look for it...it's still $200 though, which I've chosen to pass on. You could easily replace it with Basalt Monolith if you didn't want to track it down, though. Similarly, you could replace Imp. Seal with Cruel Tutour for price reasons). However it's worth noting that without these key outlier cards, you could build this for relatively cheap which makes this an enticing project to try out. You could even get some blackborder perfect fits from SCGames if you wanted to still use your investment without buying new blackborder versions of the expensive cards themselves.

WB Korvold

Commander (1)

Planeswalkers (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Deck stats: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/uNS7PxW-E0O0XGrunt7Uvw
Attachments
79212871_1071694049828918_3583176414871945216_o.jpg
20191121_194851.jpg
20191121_195155.jpg
Last edited by 3drinks 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Updated this to include the white-bordered Korvold.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

So I've done more digging, and I decided I'm going to allow the Hachette/Salvat foreign white borders into the deck. This is great, there's a ton of options this affords the deck (and similarly for WB Kaalia too). Buuuutttt there's an issue with buying these domestic - you can't. International shipping g is expensive and, right now at present, impossible. So I made a concession. I did it. I bought their oldest face prints to WB myself. I'm going to paint rather than pay the ridiculous international markup. $70 for $18 worth of cards, get outta here. I learned some from my alter guy and he suggested some materials. I'll be going slow and taking my time on the project though.

My research is thorough, and when it's done, I'll share them all here if anyone is interested (and I'll link all the cards proving their WB status for anyone interested).

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Finally, it's finished. Rest in Powerrr, Hot Rod. Gone but never forgotten. Now you'll be at every table asking the questions no one else has the balls to ask.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

There, now we're updated. Whew.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”