Tuvasa, the Sunlit Bogles Enchantress

_clay_
Admin for the Kaalia Discord
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by _clay_ » 4 years ago

Hello all,

I played Modern for a number of years and it WAS my favorite format to play competitively. But then a few years ago, I moved to rural North Dakota and (by geographical happenstance) found myself in a place where I couldn't play very regularly at all. So like all other good constructed format players, I turned my constructed format decks into Commander decks and goldfished them until I could return to civilization. Now a few years later, I am fortunate to live in a larger city with a LGS and I play Commander exclusively; I am even considered a stalwart of the cEDH community here locally. But with all of my Commander success, I still long for the Modern meta of old and over the years have tried to port over specific Modern archetypes into the Commander format. Today, I would like to share with you a brew that I have been tweaking for over a year now. This is Tuvava Bogles Enchantress...

This is the heart of the deck. These are the creatures that you will beat face with (yes, very occasionally you will have to close the game out with an Enchantress).

Commander
Tuvasa the Sunlit

Big Splashy Bombs
Bruna, Light of Alabaster

Enchantresses
Argothian Enchantress
Enchantress's Presence
Kor Spiritdancer
Satyr Enchanter
Season of Growth
Sram, Senior Edificer
Verduran Enchantress

The Pants. This is where the rubber meets the road. Without the inclusion of quality Auras, this deck will under-perform every single time. Unfortunately, there are only three Hexproof granting Auras currently available. Therefore, it is vital that you consider this when you keep your opening hand. Enlightened Tutor used to be in the 99, but believe it or not, using a single mana to cast an Aura an draw an average of three cards was better than tutoring for one and maybe drawing it thereafter. Either way you go, because we are not playing with Bogle creatures, you will have to prioritize Hexproof granting effects.

Defensive - Vigilance
Asha's Favor
Daybreak Coronet
Sentinel's Mark
Triclopean Sight

Hexproof Effects
Alpha Authority
Canopy Cover
Shielding Plax

Evasion - Unblockable
Aether Tunnel
Aqueous Form
Steel of the Godhead

Evasion - Flying
Angelic Gift
Arcane Flight
Cartouche of Knowledge
Favor of the Overbeing
Ghostly Wings
Gryff's Boon
Shield of the Oversoul
Shimmering Wings
Treetop Bracers

Evasion - Protection from Creatures
Spirit Mantle
Unquestioned Authority

Evasion - Trample
Rancor

Buffing Effects
All That Glitters
Ancestral Mask
Cartouche of Solidarity
Ethereal Armor
Helm of the Gods

The Bones. These spells are the framework through which you can confidently suit up your pseudo-Bogle. The ramp is not only designed to provide early plays, but also provide more mana over time to play a chain of auras to draw more cards. The protection spells were selected to allow for the maximum amount of protection from enemy effects at the lowest mana cost for that protection. Notice that Ghostly Prison and Propaganda are excluded because they are simply outclassed by the other taxxy effects listed. This deck plays three (3) big recursion effects that get you back into the game quickly should you lose your initial Voltron creature.

Ramp
Bear Umbra
Birds of Paradise
Carpet of Flowers
Exploration
Fertile Ground
Land Tax
Noble Hierarch
Sol Ring
Wild Growth

Anti-Wrath/Destroy Target Effects
Counterspell
Disdainful Stroke
Heroic Intervention
Hyena Umbra
Negate
Spider Umbra
Stubborn Denial
Swan Song
Teferi's Protection
Vanishing

Pillow Fort Effects
Constant Mists
Dueling Grounds
Elephant Grass
Island Sanctuary
Sphere of Safety

Card Draw/Filter
Mirri's Guile
Mystic Remora
Sylvan Library

Utility
Estrid's Invocation
Replenish
Retether
Sterling Grove

The Fuel. You will notice that there are 33 lands in the deck. This number may shrink in the future to 31/32 lands depending on future Aura printings. But for now, 33 is a comfortable number as our overall deck converted mana cost is a low 2.04 CMC. Of note, the production of green mana is given primacy here, followed by white mana, then blue mana.

Lands
Adarkar Wastes
Breeding Pool
Brushland
Canopy Vista
City of Brass
Command Tower
Flooded Strand
6 Forest
Glacial Fortress
Hall of Heliod's Generosity
Hallowed Fountain
Hinterland Harbor
3 Island
Mana Confluence
5 Plains
Polluted Delta
Prairie Stream
Reliquary Tower
Sunpetal Grove
Temple Garden
Windswept Heath
Yavimaya Coast

As always, I will be conditionally appreciative of your inputs. I say "conditionally" because this deck started off as a reactive, big CMC Bant Pillowfort deck and slowly morphed into the compact killing machine it is now. This deck is NOT simply a deck list per se, BUT more the reflection of an aggressive personal playstyle.

The aim of this deck to "pants up" your commander and kill via combat damage. It is constructed in such a way that once you have killed one of your three opponents, you should have enough of a draw engine in place to stall with Constant Mists and draw into more of your protection/recursion to kill the other two.

For those who like to view the deck list as a whole.
Tuvasa Bogles Enchantress

Commander

Artifacts

Sorceries

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by _clay_ 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

xeroxedfool
Pronoun: he / him

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

Your decklist section is unsorted, would be nice to see it all together. Looks like a cool deck though.
They're both Griffith, get it?

_clay_
Admin for the Kaalia Discord
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by _clay_ » 4 years ago

xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago
Your decklist section is unsorted, would be nice to see it all together. Looks like a cool deck though.
Fixed, as requested.

ChocoDude
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ChocoDude » 4 years ago

I've been playing a reactive higher CMC Pillowfort version of this deck with some pretty expensive cards and it's just ok. Doesn't do that well. I really like this deck variant you've conjured. I've been hesitant about going the Aura route and have stuck to global enchantments, but this idea seems like something I'd really like to try. I almost disbanded my EDH version, but I may morph it now and "borrow" most of your ideas.

I was curious about why you don't run Mesa Enchantress? The 1WW too costly as opposed to 2G of Enchantress's Presence?

I'm fairly new to EDH and have been wondering why folks play Exploration more than Burgeoning? With or without Land Tax seems like you could drop more lands per round, but of course, you have to wait a turn to take advantage of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”