Making my sliver deck more interesting

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

The first MTG deck I consistently played was a casual sliver deck rocking Sliver Queen, Sliver Legion and Sliver Overlord. When, The First Sliver got spoiled, I got super pumped and figured I'd throw all my old 5c legions into a pile with a bunch of other slivers on hand and give it a spin. The deck is underwhelming for a multitude of reasons. My first attempt at building it was with a Primal Surge win-con constraint. However, this results in a greatly reduced ability for me to interact with what my opponents or doing. As such I tend to snowball massively ahead and murder everyone or just kind of fall behind and die since I'm unable to greatly impact the board. I'm planning on cutting this and adding more spells to give the deck a wider reach.

Secondly, The First Sliver isn't actually a particularly fun card to play with. Getting a huge chain of slivers was fun the first time. However, once he's down resolving slivers drastically bogs down the game since it takes so long to cascade. He'd be fine in the 99, but I'm strongly disliking him as the general with the play pattern he sets up. I'm planning on avoiding choosing Sliver Overlord as my general for similar reasons. I dislike the extremely linear play pattern he encourages.

I'm leaning towards having Sliver Hivelord or Sliver Queen helm the deck. I was wondering if anyone had an ideas around how to make a fairly sliver based deck, that is less snowball-y/combo-y. Is there any way to build slivers as a more supplementary background strategy to a more mind-range control deck? Or any other interesting ways that I could take this deck? I'm planning on chopping it up quite a lot.

My only real goal with the deck is to use all of the 5c sliver legends to some extent. Maybe find a way to utilize Cruel Ultimatum because I haven't cast that in a very long time. Also, I'm aware the manabase is currently really bad, I want a deck that I enjoy greatly before I start tweaking the mana to support it.
Sliver EDH

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by materpillar 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Moved to the Decklists subforum.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

xeroxedfool
Pronoun: he / him

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

You could run Morophon, the Boundless as it is a sliver. It buffs your army and makes all your sliver spells cheaper.

Another thing you could do to make it more interesting is to remove slivers and add some supporting spells. If all you can do is play one or two creatures a turn, your deck will be very one dimensional.
They're both Griffith, get it?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”