Tenacious T: Teshar high-value weenies

SafetyValve
Pronoun: he / him

Post by SafetyValve » 4 years ago

White has always been my favorite color in Magic, and I've always struggled to make a mono-white deck that can actually keep up in EDH. After experimenting with multiple commanders and builds I've finally settled on a deck I can be really proud of. I've got individual card breakdowns and alternate commander options written out, but I'm terrible at formatting so I'll avoid making this post oppressively long. This has quickly become one of my favorite decks to play and tinker with, so I'd love to know what you think!
By Card Type

Enchantments

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by SafetyValve 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

First off, i'd like to say i'm happy to see another Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle list on MTGN already! I heavily underestimated the joy this commander would bring - especially fine tuning the Rube Goldberg machine my list turned into.

I'd really like your opinion on a few cards, since i'm not running them (yet):

Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - Is she worth it? As far as i can tell your deck revolves less around graveyard durdle than mine and i'm unsure if i'd get enough ETBs out of it to include her over something like Cathars' Crusade.
Geier Reach Sanitarium - What's your take on this one? I am considering it for my list and Lazav, the Multifarious as well.
Hallowed Spiritkeeper - I might've overlooked this one! Is it as gross as i think it is?
Ranger-Captain of Eos - I'd love to try him out, but the current price tag of 15€ is akward. Would you say it's worth the investment?
Smuggler's Copter - How big would you say is the downside that you can't return him through our commanders triggered ability? Its effect is very solid in this deck.
Stonecloaker - No question about this one. I just realized i have to dig for mine. :grin:

I'd be stoked if you were to find the time to give me some feedback on my vastly different list.

Keep brewin'!

SafetyValve

Hey, thanks for the interest! I'm curious to see your list; I'm always up for new ideas.

Anafenza has been pretty worthwhile, because I've usually got at least two creatures hitting the field in a turn, whether from my hand or the graveyard. She's a better choice than Cathar's Crusade anyway, because she's a legendary creature (which triggers Teshar), and she only costs WW so Tesh can bring her back.

Geier Reach Sanitarium is absolutely worth it in any deck with low sources of draw. It's even better here because you can really quickly populate your graveyard with targets for Teshar to bring back.

Hallowed Spiritkeeper is teetering on being cut. It's a good source of emergency blocker tokens, but that's really about it. I need to do more testing.

Ranger-Captian of Eos is mostly in there for the sac ability. If you have more one-drop Creatures in your deck, then I'd say he's worth the price.

Smuggler's Copter is basically another Sanitarium that triggers Teshar on cast. I'm enjoying it.

Let me know if there are any other cards you were curious about!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Thanks for the heads up about Geier Reach Sanitarium and Smuggler's Copter, i'll have to add them soon-ish, i think.

If you feel like checking out my Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle build, you can find the decklist in my signature or here. Feel free to leave a comment, i'd appreciate it! :party:

SafetyValve

Great list, I've taken a look and listed a few cards I was curious about in the comments!

I'm going to list a couple cards from Core 2020 I'm thinking about adding in:

Apostle of Purifying Light: Fills a similar slot to Remorseful Cleric, however instead of sacrificing himself he has protection from black and can only remove one thing at a time. The art is also cool, so there's always that.

Brought Back: Finally some recursion for our non-creature tools. Definitely worth consideration, though there is one other card in the set with a similar effect that may be better...

Cavalier of Dawn: I really like this card, but Teshar can't bring him back, and he's not legendary so he doesn't help our own recursion at all. If you're going for more "White Goodstuff" and not leaning on Teshar too much, he absolutely deserves a spot.

Hanged Executioner: If I didn't already own Mangara of Corondor I'd absolutely be putting this guy in. He makes a flying token which is cool, but can also exile a creature the turn he comes out (if you have the Mana), whereas Mangara needs to tap. Both have their pros and cons, but I think Mangara just edges him out.

Salvager of Ruin: This absolutely needs a spot in my deck. He triggers Teshar, can be recurred by Teshar, can sacrifice himself in a pinch, and can recur any permanent as long as it died that turn. This is potentially a huge utility card for Teshar. I'll be posting as soon as I an figure out what to cut for it.

xeroxedfool

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

I like this deck it looks very solid. The manabase is nice, you haven't gone too crazy on utility lands. I see a lot of people doing that.
They're both Griffith, get it?

SafetyValve

FInally decided to take a look at the deck and find a spot for Salvager of Ruin. Hallowed Spiritkeeper is a great token generator for the deck, but I really think Salvager is a 100% NEED card, so I'm going to try cutting the Spiritkeeper and see if I end up really missing him.

Kemev
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kemev » 4 years ago

So you accomplished something pretty difficult... you cobbled together a mono-white deck that looks like it might be fun :)

Have you thought about running Loyal Retainers in the deck?

Also, this seems like a good deck for Crucible of Worlds... with plenty of land-searching and looting effects, it'd be pretty easy to discard a land to a loot effect, then put it straight into play.

SafetyValve

Hey thanks!

I am REALLY tempted to go buy myself a Loyal Retainers. I agree it would be a great fit, I just need to figure out what to cut for it before I spend the money.

Crucible of Worlds would do pretty well here, however my only copy is currently in my Jaya Ballard, Task Mage deck where it pulls much more weight.

SafetyValve

Back again with another list of cards to consider now that Throne of Eldraine is out. There are a lot of interesting White cards in this set, though unfortunately not many that are of use to Teshar.

Acclaimed Contender: Pretty good card filtering, but only works if you control another Knight. I don't run many Knights in my list, but if you're going for more of a Knight theme, this is pretty good.

Charming Prince: Its a charm! On a creature! Problem is the modes just aren't useful for this deck. Scry 2 is okay at best, 3 life is near useless in EDH, but an end-of-turn flicker is good if you're piling on a lot of ETB effects. In my list, he just isn't worth it.

Giant Killer: I really want to put an Adventure card in here because the alt art is all phenomenal. Problem is none of the White cards have worthwhile ETB effects, and the Adventure half is useless once the creature is in your graveyard, which is where most of the creatures in this deck aim to be.

Happily Ever After: 5c wincon, no use here.

Harmonious Archon: IMost of the creatures in this deck are 3/3 or less so the downside won't hurt us much. Comes in with two tokens that also turn into 3/3 as well. I'd love to find a slot for this guy, but he's over 3CMC and isn't legendary so I'm finding it difficult to cut something for him.

Hushbringer: A great hatebear, problem is it prevents the two things this deck does most: Triggers on ETB and death.

Linden, the Seadfast Queen: 3CMC, Legendary, problem is the effect is less than useful for this deck.

Mace of the Valiant: This is kind of interesting. Equipment gets more powerful the more ETB triggers you have. Could be a good way to close out a game, but I feel like people will get wise before it gets big enough to really do some damage.

Realm-Cloaked Giant: I love my boardwipes, but 3WW for a Day of Judgment with limitations just isn't good enough to cut one of the wipes already here, even if you can cast a 7/7 vigilance later.

Silverwing Squadron: We usually don't have many creatures out, even if this does make itself bigger every time it attacks. Especially for 6 mana, this just isn't worth it.

Syr Alin, the Lion's Claw: If you're going aggro/swarm this guy may be worth a shot. In my case, I don't think so.

The Circle of Loyalty: While I don't have many knights, I am casting a fair amount of legendary spells. If I can get my hands on one of these I may give it a try.

Worthy Knight: Great if you're going for a Knight theme again, otherwise not really useful.

Castle Ardenvale: We'll have no problems overcoming the untap limitation here. I'd say it's worth a spot as a late-game mana sink and we aren't really starved for space for nonbasic lands.

Fabled Passage: An Evolving Wilds that allows the land to come in untapped later in the game. Could be good for land thinning?

Heraldic Banner: A Manalith That will also give any White creatures +1/+0. Good in a budget deck I'd suppose.

Idyllic Grange: it's a Plains, which we have no problems tutoring for, and a free +1/+1 counter is always welcome. Only downside is it you happen to draw it before turn 4 with no other lands. I'd say this is worth a spot in most cases.

Inquisitive Puppet: If his effect was on Sacrifice instead of Exile, this would totally be worth it.

Stonecoil Serpent: I'd say this gives Hangerback Walker a run for its money. Half the cost, and comes with a hefty number of keywords rather than making Thopters on death. I think I'm going to try this one out.

Tome of Legends: I don't attack with Teshar very often unless there's a distinct lack of flying blockers on the table. That being said, a cheap source of draw isn't exactly unwelcome.

Witch's Oven: A sac outlet, but requires a tap. I feel like there's some way to break this to our advantage, but I can't think of one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”